Basil

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, hansreinhardt said:

You're on a roll today, I love it! I'm jealous of your day. 😆

Haha, yep! I work four 10-hour shifts (Mon-Thu), so Friday is my first day off, but my Wife works all day, so I normally use Fridays to watch films that my Wife normally wouldn't like. I definitely know she will not be joining me for The Ten Commandments tomorrow since that is 4-hours long. 🤣

• Haha 3

Awards

spacer.png

The Ten Commandments is a magnificent and jaw-dropping cinematic experience unlike most. Grand set designs with immaculate detail, hundreds of extras on set in a lot of scenes, on-location shooting for a lot of shots, stellar pacing that never made the nearly 4-hours feel long, special effects that were truly impressive for 1956, and masterclass acting by Charlton Heston as Moses. Finally, the 4K was stunning and unbelievably good. The grain was not obnoxious, but also not completely removed. It was so sharp, and the HDR added a lot to the overall image. 

Just wow.

• Like 9

Awards

2 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

I feel silly here; I own a copy of this and it just never quite makes it to the front of my Movies To Watch queue.  Best Picture for Pete’s sake, I need to give it a watch.  Curious to hear what you think.

Do yourself a big favor and watch it. It is hands down one of the most creative films that I have seen in years. The actors and actresses are always on their A-game from start to finish, and the overall story is powerful. I cannot recommend it enough. 

• Like 3

Awards

5 hours ago, Nadam said:

spacer.png

The Ten Commandments is a magnificent and jaw-dropping cinematic experience unlike most. Grand set designs with immaculate detail, hundreds of extras on set in a lot of scenes, on-location shooting for a lot of shots, stellar pacing that never made the nearly 4-hours feel long, special effects that were truly impressive for 1956, and masterclass acting by Charlton Heston as Moses. Finally, the 4K was stunning and unbelievably good. The grain was not obnoxious, but also not completely removed. It was so sharp, and the HDR added a lot to the overall image. 

Just wow.

I'm a sucker for big-budget Hollywood epics.

The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, etc.

Wish they made these today.

• Like 8

Poor-Things-Banner-e1703259015494.thumb.jpeg.07efcd0a16390c6f0c6535bf1caf2ffe.jpeg

Saw Poor Things yesterday. Emma Stone is brilliant in it and I would award her the Best Actress Oscar if I were in charge of such things. I think Lanthimos may have gone a little overboard with lens choice at times; perhaps just a touch too self-indulgent all around. But overall, a solid film and an interesting escape from reality. Costuming and production design was really outstanding. Fascinating to envision a future with so much Victorian influence.

Just needed about 30-45 mins trimmed—I really feel we have a crisis of unearned runtimes these days.

• Like 9

spacer.png

I understand that some here are fairly vocal in their disdain for Barbie, but this film is EXACTLY what I want more blockbuster films to be like. This movie oozes creativity, and is a wonderful cinematic experience that I feel the blockbuster scene has desperately needed over the past 10 years due to the over-saturation of superhero and action films (in my personal opinion). 

Excluding my disdain for Mattel (and most corporations in general), this film was (for a second viewing) outstanding. I am so glad Greta got the opportunity to make this, and I really look forward to her next projects.

• Like 8

Awards

2 minutes ago, Nadam said:

spacer.png

I understand that some here are fairly vocal in their disdain for Barbie, but this film is EXACTLY what I want more blockbuster films to be like. This movie oozes creativity, and is a wonderful cinematic experience that I feel the blockbuster scene has desperately needed over the past 10 years due to the over-saturation of superhero and action films (in my personal opinion). 

Excluding my disdain for Mattel (and most corporations in general), this film was (for a second viewing) outstanding. I am so glad Greta got the opportunity to make this, and I really look forward to her next projects.

Agreed! I just watched this for the first time last week and loved it. It's definitely not my normal cup of tea, so I was blown away by just how much I enjoyed it and how funny it was. Such a great, feel-good movie; it was a blast!

• Like 6

The last three months I've been really branching out into even more foreign shows which there is no short supply of on Netflix. This one in particular is a bit of a slow burn but enough happens in each episode to keep you engaged and wanting to see how the story progresses especially if you have a little patience (I know...... patience in this microwave society we live in where you can have so much instantly on demand?). Not a bad watch so far and I can appreciate it's based off Brazilian folklore. A nice palate cleanser to all the Nordic small town/isolated community serial killer cop dramas I consumed last month.

sxpra.jpg

• Like 6

KILLING-THEM-SOFTLY-POSTER-header.jpg.540e190d45a18f228e4a95f9d3cb74a5.jpg

Started on shaky ground, and I definitely thought the political elements were odd at first. But it really coalesced into a tense film with lots of character. Loved the way it was shot, I'm a sucker for shallow depth-of-field, especially when it's with anamorphics. The slow-motion car shootout was incredible. Loved how simple the premise is. Had a really tough time with some of the violence though, the whole film has such a gritty realism that the violence really hits hard when you see it. I felt so terrible for Ray Liotta's character. James Gandolfini's character was fascinating, and Ben Mendelsohn is always excellent. 

Someone here recommended this movie to me, but I can't remember who. Chime in if it was you and thanks for the suggestion! 

Edited by hansreinhardt
  • Like 7

37 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

Started on shaky ground, and I definitely thought the political elements were odd at first. But it really coalesced into a tense film with lots of character. Loved the way it was shot, I'm a sucker for shallow depth-of-field, especially when it's with anamorphics. The slow-motion car shootout was incredible. Loved how simple the premise is. Had a really tough time with some of the violence though, the whole film has such a gritty realism that the violence really hits hard when you see it. I felt so terrible for Ray Liotta's character. James Gandolfini's character was fascinating, and Ben Mendelsohn is always excellent. 

Someone here recommended this movie to me, but I can't remember who. Chime in if it was you and thanks for the suggestion! 

I was definitely part of that conversation, but I think at least one other person recommended it.  This is one of those movies that I like that I don’t expect other people to like.  Strange rhythm, strange trajectory, probably seems “slow”.  I also had a soft spot for it because, although they don’t name the city it was filmed in New Orleans and it’s really obvious to anyone who’s familiar. 

I like Dominik a lot, though I’ll join the chorus that was disappointed by Blonde.  The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is one of my favorite movies of this century.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

It was @Veum who recommended it along with Cold In July and Chained. @Heywoodmoutaw and myself backed up the recommendation for killing them softly. I would have to agree with Heywoodmoutaw on the strange vibe. Most I've spoken to about the movie didn't care for it but again I liked it. Some of the violence can be a bit yikes especially the shotgun scene which had me stunned. Me stunned a guy who's no stranger to shoot em up bang bang films especially the 80s and 90s Hong Kong gangster flicks where shootouts could be incredibly brutal. Like you I appreciated the way it was filmed the grittiness of it all and that particular slow motion scene was master class. 

Edited by LeadFarmer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So after conversation with some of my fellow psychos about gritty and violent films one came to mind I haven't seen since I was a kid. I remember my mom stopped by our local west coast video (pretty much like blockbuster) on the way home from work and asked me to meet her there to pick out a movie for myself. No biggie the store was a 5 minute walk from the house so I ran over. You walk into West Coast Video and a Mortal Kombat 2 (1993) and an X-MEN (1992) arcade almost greet you at the door. One of the employees who was a friend of my mom recommends Judgement Night. I can't remember what film I picked out for myself but I definitely remember her also renting this one. A capable cast I mean this was Cuba Gooding Jr Emilio Estevez prime acting days in addition to Stephen Dorff Jeremy Piven and Denis Leary. Certainly worth a watch. 

p15123_p_v8_ae.jpg

Edited by LeadFarmer
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

So after conversation with some of my fellow psychos about gritty and violent films one came to mind I haven't seen since I was a kid. I remember my mom stopped by our local west coast video (pretty much like blockbuster) on the way home from work and asked me to meet her there to pick out a movie for myself. No biggie the store was a 5 minute walk from the house so I ran over. You walk into West Coast Video and a Mortal Kombat 2 (1993) and an X-MEN (1992) arcade almost greet you at the door. One of the employees who was a friend of my mom recommends Judgement Night. I can't remember what film I picked out for myself but I definitely remember her also renting this one. A capable cast I mean this was Cuba Gooding Jr Emilio Estevez prime acting days in addition to Stephen Dorff Jeremy Piven and Denis Leary. Certainly worth a watch. 

p15123_p_v8_ae.jpg

This would’ve come out my first year in college, saw it in the theater.  I liked the movie, but the real star of the moment was the soundtrack.  Every track was a collaboration between a rock/grunge/punk group and a hip hop artist.  One of the all time great soundtracks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

This would’ve come out my first year in college, saw it in the theater.  I liked the movie, but the real star of the moment was the soundtrack.  Every track was a collaboration between a rock/grunge/punk group and a hip hop artist.  One of the all time great soundtracks.

agreed man solid good music. glad I'm not the only one who appreciated it

• Like 2

Finally got to watch this, and what a fun and powerful experience!! I love how well it describes and shows what we all have experienced going from youth into being an adult, and learning to adapt to major changes in life and in ourselves. Critics must have been out of their minds to not give this a higher score, as this easily deserves a lot of praise for how creative the overall film is (not to mention the amazing cast!). Soundtrack was a total winner, too.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Awards

MV5BZDJhOTgyMTUtMDVhOS00MzRlLTk0MjYtYjI5NzhhMTExMTc1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDY2MTk1ODk@._V1_.thumb.jpg.a892bed00fd1257dbc019fa2218e679f.jpg

Second favorite Roger Moore 007 film after The Man With The Golden Gun, though I think this one is a more competent film altogether. And what is there to say about it that hasn't already been said? It's great fun.

Egypt and pyramids make for some incredible set pieces, as do the underwater elements. Love the sub car. Not sure a ship with an opening bow would remain afloat? Barbara Bach is an excellent Bond girl as Agent XXX. I love the fakeout at the beginning where you think the guy she's sleeping with is the spy at first, but later on I wish XXX was portrayed as a more competent agent. 

The villian is grand in a classic mustache-twirling style, with enjoyably elaborate death traps for his enemies. And I always enjoy watching Jaws get picked up by the teeth with the giant magnet. 

• Like 5

It's a sloooooooooooo...cough cough (grabs glass of water) oooooooooow burn. It can somewhat get a little tricky following if you really aren't paying attention due to all the skipping around through time that takes place and the connections characters have to one another. With that being said still worth a shot as the plot is good even though the build up can be a real drag. I enjoyed it even if it made me feel like

Old Lady Time GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

sxpra.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

🥤 🍿 🎬 📀

National Popcorn Day GIF by Angry Birds

*Horsemen (2009)     streamed Amazon Prime

Not for the squeamish… At home, hardened police detective Aidan Breslin has grown increasingly distant from his two young sons Alex and Sean since the death of his wife. At work, he finds himself thrust into an investigation of perverse serial killings rooted in the Biblical prophecy of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: The White Horsemen, a master of deception and the unexpected leader hell-bent on conquest; The Red Horsemen, a sharp-witted warrior intent on turning man against man, with an innocence that hides a burning rage within; The Black Horsemen, a manipulative and dark tyrant, unbalanced but always one step ahead; and The Pale Horsemen, an executioner with disarming strength, determined to spread death through surgical precision. As Breslin grapples with each new revelation in the case, he slowly discovers a shocking connection between himself and the four suspects.

*Freezer (2014)     streamed Amazon Prime

IN A FEEEZER 😝… After waking up in a refrigerated meat locker, a man engages in a battle of wits with his captors, a group of Russian gangsters.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 5

Wasn't interested in the Super Bowl last night, so I watched three films. The first of which was...

MV5BMmYzMzBmYTQtYmRkZC00MjdjLTg5MzctYjU1OWRjYjdlYmU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_.thumb.jpg.cfdeed564850b6e3e475e3557bb6b903.jpg

Shadows (1959)

Alright here we go, first John Cassavetes film in the books. Took about 20 minutes for things to start clicking for me. I felt like I was watching a document of a time, world, and civilization long past. It felt so foreign, it's incredible how much the times have changed. The story eventually became interesting, and things made a lot more sense at the very end with the title card "The film you have just watched was an improvisation." And from that standpoint, it's pretty incredible. But I often felt like people went from happy to angry at the snap of a finger, with no motivation, and it was frequent—that was odd to me. Why is everyone shouting all the time? 

Leila Goldoni stole the show every time she was on screen. 

The lack of technical polish was pretty jarring at first. Poor ADR, scenes shot MOS that shouldn't have been, constant 180 breaks... I lost the geography of scenes so many times I can't even count. But maybe that's part of the charm? I understand this was a low-budget, first-time-film for the director, and once I got used to it, the story began to fall into place. 

Edited by hansreinhardt
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1