IGNORED

Media Psychos Lenticular Edition Award

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/13/2019 at 6:22 AM, Grendel said:

Beautiful collection of Lentis there @capricornio34232 !

Now, I do actually study the pics folks submit, as I'm always on the look-out for some editions that will strike my fancy.

I noticed a particular one in your 'haul' that definitely piqued my interest;

- it's a little difficult to make out but it looks like the Italian (?) edition of "The Last Emperor", with the 3D logo on it!

I had absolutely no idea a 3D release of this fantastic film was ever developed.

I have the Criterion edition and both editions WeET released (Lenti and FS, the lenti in fact is in my award submission pic).

( I wish I had the MLife as well...sigh).

Can you confirm for me please this was done in 3D as well? (who, what, when, where?) heh.

Thanks buddy! And, congrats on the award!

You too @raylight ! Beautiful lentis indeed!

Thank you very much @grendel ! Yes, this edition of the Last Emperor has an amazing Lenticular SlipCover. This edition was released in Italy in 2013. I personally have not seen the movie in 3D (my copy is still sealed), but the edition is still available in Amazon Italy (I'm not sure if includes the SlipCover); there are mixed reviews about the 3D transfer, this movie was not filmed in 3D, so the transfer I do not think is that impressive.

Here is the Amazon Italy link:

Link

• Like 2

^^ Thanks very much for your reply @capricornio34232 !

I've ordered it!

I do hope they still have a lovely lenti slipcover on the one they send me. 😬

I agree, films not produced in 3D originally, and just "converted" usually do not look too impressive.

I'll of course spin the 3D up to check it out and I'll report back my impressions. 🙂

Thanks much for the link!

We all learn just a little bit more each day! 👍

Cheers my friend!

Oh, and wanted to mention @deckard99, I really like that idea of using the stairwell for large collection photos. Great idea buddy! 👍

OK, I learn a lot each day! 

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• ★ Administrators ★
3 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Oh, and wanted to mention @deckard99, I really like that idea of using the stairwell for large collection photos. Great idea buddy! 👍

OK, I learn a lot each day! 

Haha, I was desperate when I did that. I have strong recessed lights in my room and they create a lot of glare on photos. Especially big shots. So I found the stairs worked better. Not artistic at all but at least you can see all the editions!

• Like 2

*crawls out of his stinking cave* *screams in excitement*: "ANOTHER AWARD?!? HOLD MY BEER!"

photo_2019-07-31_20-12-17.thumb.jpg.f9e05379d72a6583e243b1a4ac492cae.jpg

Hard to get onto one picture [I have probably 3times that much on lenticular - not counting all the FAC-Steelbooks with magnetic lenticular inside the Fullslip; but I couldn't fit them all into one photo - so I settled for these 27]. But here they are - and (you know me) here follows some personal "blah blah" for anyone interested :)

First off: In the beginning I really hated lenticulars, because they are - especially in Germany - pretty bad. This only changed, when by accident I got Nova Medias Hulk (first row, third to last). This was so beautifully done, superb parallax effect (nerd knowledge: parallax is the physical concept that makes thinks that aren't 3D look 3D on "normal" surface (i.e. without 3D glasses, etc.) [1]), and I just totally fell in love with it. Ever since I am a fan of Asian lenticular editions, and as you can tell, I really love those Asian fullslips. Some other editions that I'd like to point out:

1) First one in top row: This is the only "naked" Steelbook I have that comes with a lenticular magnet: It's Thor 2 from Zavvi, and it was a "by chance" buy. I did not look for it, but found it rather cheap, so I had to get it. I dislike the small lenticular though. I always prefer the Filmarena ones that go over the entire front.
2) The two editions below that steelbook are two out of a 14-edition series of digipacks that where released in Germany for the 75th Anniversary of 20th Century Fox.They called them Limited Cinedition and they have the lenticuar glued to the front, and most of them are really bad; they feature parallax lenticulars done so bad that there is no 3D effect at all, and most of them are far to dark. These two I picked are both flip-flop ones, and I really like them. The one shows Wolverine (X-Men Origins), once in his human form and once as an x-ray with his adamantium skeleton. The other one has the UFO of Independence Day destroying the White House. These are probably unknown to most of you, so I wanted to add at least these two (in hind side I of course could have also posted all 11 that I possess because probably no one else will).
3) Logan is also interesting (2nd in 2nd row) - it's a special release by Mantalab a Lenticular Box Edition: cardboard box with a metal plate inside the cardboard and a magnetic lenticular on top. And I actually passed on that edition: I ordered the lenticular Fullslip by Mantalab + the Lenticular Fullslip AND Fullslip edition from Filmarena (because I liked the motive on the Lenticular one but also wanted it to fit the X-Men series by Filmarena) and additionally I have the German steelbook. So more than enough from one movie. But when I saw the 3D-Effect on a video that Mantalab posted, I had to get this one as well - to me it's the most beautiful edition I possess from this movie, and I absolutely disliked the normal lenticular Fullslip by Mantalab - so everything done right :D
4) First row, third movie has a long story as well: It's the Blufans Rocket and Groot Edition. I didn't get it at release, and my girlfriend really doesn't like my collection too much (it takes up too much space, I spend all my money on useless things, etc.). But she's an absolute Groot fan (we have approximately 10 Groot figures because of her), and when she saw this she really wanted to have it. So I've been hunting it for years with no luck. Then, all of a sudden one of the German group buyers on Facebook anounced that Blufans will exclusively through him sell some leftovers - and this one was in it as well. So I ordered it, and told my girlfriend beforehand, and she was really happy, but when it arrived we got the wrong one (3rd row, second to last). She was so sad and I was really pissed. I asked the guy and asked to contact them or give me the contact info so I could do it. But the guy simply didn't respond to me anymore. And I wasn't the only one - 2 other guys also got the wrong edition. Later I figured by the prices that he had probably just ordered the wrong one. But I was really pissed, and swore never to order anything from him ever again. Then, a year later he had the same offer a second time. I contacted him once more, asked if it was still possible to change (no it wasn't) and that If I order again, he will personally make sure that I get the right one or I will be getting my money back for both editions. He agreed, and finally I got that edition a year later. What a story.
5) Don't know if y'all of you remember the Kingsman - The golden Circle from Mantalab. It's the first "all sided" lenticular edition: It is made completely out of PET, so the lenticular effect is directly on the slip itself, and the front has a really great parallax effect, the back however not so much. The other sides have a color effect imitating the light reflection on a piece of gold. Great idea and I am really happy to have this "special" edition in the collection. However I don't like the PET slip too much. It is really thin and wobbely once the steelbook is out, and the edges feel really sharp so I always worry about scratching the Steelbook. The did it one more time with another edition, but I opted for the fullslip edition.
6) Last but not least: The Hobbit from the Giftbox-Set with the figurine inside. I really loved this edition: There's a leather-like, debossed slip with a window in front, and the Lenticular is glued to it from the inside, so it looks like the lenticular is actually framed. There is a nice parallax effect and they really nailed it to produce a metallic reflection effect on the Lettering and the sword - a really beautiful edition. Unfortunately for the second and third movie however they switched the lenticular for a mostly printed holofoil with a few gaps in the printing to introduce a metalic shine - they look really cheap, so this one is the best of the set.

Rest of them are rather boring "normal" Lenticular Fullslips :D Kill Bill, Ex Machina, Machete and Rogue One are One-Clicks that I opened up (I always open everything :D I buy those things to look at them and their content - not to resell them later for a profit. So nearly no* edition is still sealed).

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax

*) I have a hand full sealed once, where I decided right away that I don't like it, and want to swap it - however I hardly find people interested in swapping anymore. And I feel bad selling for a profit, so I keep them in a box. Maybe someday I will open them anyways. How knows...

Edited by pygospa
  • Like 12

• ★ Administrators ★

tenor.gif?itemid=3470323

Sweet collection 😍. @serg50 thanks for jumping right in here with your pictures to get some nice awards.

You have now received the Lenticular Collector Award 👍

All the cats that celebrate world cat day are also celebrating your lenticulars

tenor.gif?itemid=8137801

• Like 3

1 hour ago, extantsrevenge said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3470323

Sweet collection 😍. @serg50 thanks for jumping right in here with your pictures to get some nice awards.

You have now received the Lenticular Collector Award 👍

All the cats that celebrate world cat day are also celebrating your lenticulars

tenor.gif?itemid=8137801

Thank you, I'm still at the beginning, my collection is only three years old.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2019 at 5:22 AM, Grendel said:

Beautiful collection of Lentis there @capricornio34232 !

Now, I do actually study the pics folks submit, as I'm always on the look-out for some editions that will strike my fancy.

I noticed a particular one in your 'haul' that definitely piqued my interest;

- it's a little difficult to make out but it looks like the Italian (?) edition of "The Last Emperor", with the 3D logo on it!

I had absolutely no idea a 3D release of this fantastic film was ever developed.

I have the Criterion edition and both editions WeET released (Lenti and FS, the lenti in fact is in my award submission pic).

( I wish I had the MLife as well...sigh).

Can you confirm for me please this was done in 3D as well? (who, what, when, where?) heh.

Thanks buddy! And, congrats on the award!

You too @raylight ! Beautiful lentis indeed!

image.png.6d582d41d1b1f5de2c8e724f1ca624a6.png

In Germany there was a time they converted almost every movie in 3D. Don't try to buy it because the quality of those 3D movies is very, very poor. They're the same quality as letting your television do the conversion  :(

• Like 3