IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

Anyone here watching Fallout yet?  I’ve never played the game but I’m hearing good things about the show, and Walton Goggins is money in the bank as far as I’m concerned.

Not yet, we are finishing up Parasyte first, Fallout is next.

2 hours ago, Fortis93 said:

This probably isn't news to collectors like us, but it's nice to see this out there, especially for those who think physical media is dead.

Amen, glad to see the Vinyl Revival is still not dead!

• Like 4

Happy Tuesday All! Hope you have an amazing day!

Tuesday Morning GIF by Justin

32 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

52 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

87 Days Until Retro Expo

193 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

198 Days Until Halloween

226 Days Until Thanksgiving

253 Days Until Christmas

260 Days Until New Year

304 Days Until Valentine's Day!

335 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

369 Days Until Easter

• Like 3

One week cold, another hot; one weekend in a coat, the next weekend lying on the beach or in the water.

I don't think I've ever had a flu in spring in my life, the usual was autumn or winter.

I was planning to plant tomatoes in a big pot, my daughter is looking forward to it. But... when is the right time to do it now? Winter is not quite over, summer starts early, sun, hail, you never know what may come.

Anyway, instead of thinking about tomatoes I should be thinking about ordering my collection, after the move I was putting them as I could, but that is a challenge still pending. And I will have to take it easy.

It won't be today, but I have to do it soon. There are people who think that you finish moving when everything is in place and you invite the one you love to have coffee, but no: they don't know that the important thing, even later, is the movies collection!!! :D 

Have a nice afternoon/evening!!!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

Anyone here watching Fallout yet?  I’ve never played the game but I’m hearing good things about the show, and Walton Goggins is money in the bank as far as I’m concerned.

I'm watching it, and I never played the game.

I've already seen 4 episodes, and so far I'm liking it, it's entertaining, and it's well done. Interesting characters, a plot with many unknowns, and a world to be discovered that arouses curiosity. You can tell that this time Amazon has not only put a lot of money on the table, but has hired good storytellers.

Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy are.

In fact, there are nuances in which it reminds me of Westworld; the pace, the unknowns of a general plot in the face of a futuristic world; the variety of characters, a certain point of cruelty. That the appeal lies in the world they describe and not necessarily just a McGuffin. The quiet but interesting episode endings.

I'm going to watch it to the end, I'm having fun. I like it.

And I think they've made it with more seasons in mind, it looks like this is an introduction to a world yet to be developed.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Fortis93 said:

This probably isn't news to collectors like us, but it's nice to see this out there, especially for those who think physical media is dead.

The physical format cannot die because we are human beings and we like to touch.

And it will be back in fashion. It's just a matter of sitting back and waiting.

In fact, it has even more potential than the return of vinyl.

PS: And that's without a third world war, or an economic/sectorial collapse. If the streaming platforms go down, you will be the sole providers for your neighbors.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Casiusco said:

The physical format cannot die because we are human beings and we like to touch.

And it will be back in fashion. It's just a matter of sitting back and waiting.

In fact, it has even more potential than the return of vinyl.

PS: And that's without a third world war, or an economic/sectorial collapse. If the streaming platforms go down, you will be the sole providers for your neighbors.

My son, now 13, just instinctively loves physical media.  Especially vinyl, but discs as well.  He goes further than I do; ever since he found my copies of the original Star Wars trilogy on VHS, that’s how he wants to watch them.  I even try to talk him out of it!  No dice.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

59 minutes ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

My son, now 13, just instinctively loves physical media.  Especially vinyl, but discs as well.  He goes further than I do; ever since he found my copies of the original Star Wars trilogy on VHS, that’s how he wants to watch them.  I even try to talk him out of it!  No dice.

That is amazing, the next Generation of Physical Media Collectors! Our house is so bad (and it's my fault). We still do VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, Blu-Ray/4K and Vinyl. I still have an 8-Track and Walkman as well, lol. One of my favorites is our 8MM Projector to watch old films on. The kids get a blast seeing movies on a sheet.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, nathan_s82 said:

That is amazing, the next Generation of Physical Media Collectors! Our house is so bad (and it's my fault). We still do VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, Blu-Ray/4K and Vinyl. I still have an 8-Track and Walkman as well, lol. One of my favorites is our 8MM Projector to watch old films on. The kids get a blast seeing movies on a sheet.

That’s awesome, you’ve got me thinking of looking for old projectors now.  I think I’d only draw the line at collecting celluloid, strictly due to the fire risk (otherwise I’d probably try it).  I actually have an old discman from back before you could get a CD player mounted in your car.  The kid loves that.  And we once took a small boombox in the car so he could continue listening to my old They Might Be Giants Flood cassette in the car (which was too new to have ever dreamt of a cassette deck).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I had pre-ordered the Paramount Presents version of the upcoming Once Upon a Time In The Old West 4K, found a much cooler version today and it’s only $8 more.  Same thing with Chinatown.  I’d been wondering if anyone was going to do that.  

I really like most of the movies that Paramount has chosen for that series, but often wished for a slightly cooler physical presentation.  The films themselves look great.  Hustle & Flow in particular was a huge upgrade.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

I had pre-ordered the Paramount Presents version of the upcoming Once Upon a Time In The Old West 4K, found a much cooler version today and it’s only $8 more.  Same thing with Chinatown.  I’d been wondering if anyone was going to do that.  

I really like most of the movies that Paramount has chosen for that series, but often wished for a slightly cooler physical presentation.  The films themselves look great.  Hustle & Flow in particular was a huge upgrade.

You mean Once Upon a Time in the West 4K & where? 🧐 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Fortis93 said:

This is good to see. I visit two massive flea markets at least 3 times a month and the people with tables selling physical media are always being swarmed. It doesn't matter if it's blu ray dvd or vhs the stuff sells like crazy used and new. One seller has a massive sign hanging in his area that says unlike cable or a streaming bill physical media doesn't cost you a dime more once you buy it. he has another sign that says once you buy physical media you own it and it can't be erased by contractual updates.

Edited by LeadFarmer
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

This is good to see. I visit two massive flea markets at least 3 times a month and the people with tables selling physical media are always being swarmed. It doesn't matter if it's blu ray dvd or vhs the stuff sells like crazy used and new. One seller has a massive sign hanging in his area that says unlike cable or a streaming bill physical media doesn't cost you a dime more once you buy it. he has another sign that says once you buy physical media you own it and it can't be erased by contractual updates.

I was at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago and managed to snag a VHS set of the Indiana Jones trilogy that included a collectible map for $6.

It's not something that I really needed, but I thought it would be cool to have.

20240417_144512.thumb.jpg.a3eb6ab484f2ed5eca69a34554910897.jpg 

20240417_144356.thumb.jpg.8d52f8e46d21d2fa0cb052bd3216c115.jpg

I grew up watching these movies on VHS anyway.

They would be playing on TV and my dad would tape them, so that's how we would watch them.

• Like 7

Happy Hump Day All!! Hope you have an amazing day!

Greeting Good Day GIF by MOODMAN

31 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

51 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

86 Days Until Retro Expo

192 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

197 Days Until Halloween

225 Days Until Thanksgiving

252 Days Until Christmas

259 Days Until New Year

303 Days Until Valentine's Day!

334 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

368 Days Until Easter

• Like 3

🤠 Hey folks it is Wednesday and a little tired this morning, however I hope you have enough energy for your day! 🙋🏻‍♂️ 

Tired Tv Land GIF by TV Land Classic Amy Poehler Running GIF by Saturday Night Live

98%
Sun and clouds with a couple of showers and a heavy thunderstorm during the midday; windy; thunderstorms could bring damaging winds, flash flooding and hail

RealFeel®71°

RealFeel Shade™70°

Max UV Index6 High

WindSW 18 mph

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

Hey, @BreakBeatDJ

I have an industry related question for you.

I've been reading about Coppola struggling to get the $100 million marketing budget he wants for "Megalopolis".

Do you think a streaming service such as Apple will step in to foot the bill, or do you think he'll have to reach some compromise with a smaller distributor like Neon or A24?

• Like 3