IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

🤠 Is there any Western aficionados here! 😯 

The last  photo of Buffalo Bill Cody taken outside his doctor’s office in Glenwood Springs Colorado 1917!! 🤩 

image.thumb.png.3c3c1dfe5ff5f40f19ee9a319290e291.png

Spoiler

William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody was born on February 26, 1846, in Iowa to Isaac and Mary Cody. As a young boy, Cody’s family moved to Kansas and became embroiled in the sectional conflict between Kansas and Missouri over the westward expansion of slavery. A proslavery advocate stabbed and wounded his father Isaac after he expressed his opposition against slavery. At this time, the Cody family’s future in Kansas seemed bleak and only worsened after the death of Isaac. With his father’s death, young William worked for the freighting firm of Rusell, Majors, and Wadell and traversed many of the trails across the Great Plains. He asserted he also served as a Pony Express rider. After serving in the Civil War as a member of the 7th Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, Cody married Louisa Frederici and moved back to Kansas to manage a hotel, which failed. His attempt to found a town also failed when he refused to offer the Kansas Pacific Railroad a portion of the sales of town lots. He earned his renowned nickname “Buffalo Bill” after resorting to work as a buffalo hunter for the Goddard Brothers to provide bison meat to the railroad crews laying the tracks through Kansas.

He later worked as a scout for the US Army, gaining national attention by serving at the Battle of Summit Springs in 1869 and becoming the subject of Ned Buntline’s dime-novel King of the Border Men. General Philip Sheridan recognized this prominence and often tasked him with serving as a guide for various hunting parties, including the famed bison hunt of Grand Duke Alexis in 1872. That same year, the army awarded Buffalo Bill the Medal of Honor. Even after becoming a stage actor, Buffalo Bill continued to serve as a scout. In 1877 he returned to the plains to join the US military response to the Battle of Little Bighorn. In that campaign he fought at the Battle of Warbonnet Creek, killed and scalped a Cheyenne warrior named Yellow Hair, and declared the scalp to be the “First Scalp for Custer.” The demands of being a celebrity and traveling with Buffalo Bill’s Wild West took a great toll on his marriage and his family. He filed for divorce in 1902, but the judge refused to grant the separation. Cody outlived three of his children, Orra, Kit, and Arta. Upon his death on January 10, 1917, he was survived by his wife and daughter Irma, who died during the flu epidemic of 1918. Louisa passed away in 1921.

• Like 2

• Replies 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Thursday! I hope everyone had a great day!

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

30 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

50 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

85 Days Until Retro Expo

191 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

196 Days Until Halloween

224 Days Until Thanksgiving

251 Days Until Christmas

258 Days Until New Year

302 Days Until Valentine's Day!

333 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

367 Days Until Easter

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Veum said:

🤠 Is there any Western aficionados here! 😯 

The last  photo of Buffalo Bill Cody taken outside his doctor’s office in Glenwood Springs Colorado 1917!! 🤩 

image.thumb.png.3c3c1dfe5ff5f40f19ee9a319290e291.png

Reveal hidden contents

William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody was born on February 26, 1846, in Iowa to Isaac and Mary Cody. As a young boy, Cody’s family moved to Kansas and became embroiled in the sectional conflict between Kansas and Missouri over the westward expansion of slavery. A proslavery advocate stabbed and wounded his father Isaac after he expressed his opposition against slavery. At this time, the Cody family’s future in Kansas seemed bleak and only worsened after the death of Isaac. With his father’s death, young William worked for the freighting firm of Rusell, Majors, and Wadell and traversed many of the trails across the Great Plains. He asserted he also served as a Pony Express rider. After serving in the Civil War as a member of the 7th Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, Cody married Louisa Frederici and moved back to Kansas to manage a hotel, which failed. His attempt to found a town also failed when he refused to offer the Kansas Pacific Railroad a portion of the sales of town lots. He earned his renowned nickname “Buffalo Bill” after resorting to work as a buffalo hunter for the Goddard Brothers to provide bison meat to the railroad crews laying the tracks through Kansas.

He later worked as a scout for the US Army, gaining national attention by serving at the Battle of Summit Springs in 1869 and becoming the subject of Ned Buntline’s dime-novel King of the Border Men. General Philip Sheridan recognized this prominence and often tasked him with serving as a guide for various hunting parties, including the famed bison hunt of Grand Duke Alexis in 1872. That same year, the army awarded Buffalo Bill the Medal of Honor. Even after becoming a stage actor, Buffalo Bill continued to serve as a scout. In 1877 he returned to the plains to join the US military response to the Battle of Little Bighorn. In that campaign he fought at the Battle of Warbonnet Creek, killed and scalped a Cheyenne warrior named Yellow Hair, and declared the scalp to be the “First Scalp for Custer.” The demands of being a celebrity and traveling with Buffalo Bill’s Wild West took a great toll on his marriage and his family. He filed for divorce in 1902, but the judge refused to grant the separation. Cody outlived three of his children, Orra, Kit, and Arta. Upon his death on January 10, 1917, he was survived by his wife and daughter Irma, who died during the flu epidemic of 1918. Louisa passed away in 1921.

I enjoy a good Western from time to time. Especially those that have John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and Robert Duvall.

• Like 2

Woohoo, it's Friday! What are your weekend plans? Tomorrow is jam-packed with Record Store Day and a Comic Convention.

Vinyl Turntable GIF

29 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

49 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

84 Days Until Retro Expo

190 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

195 Days Until Halloween

223 Days Until Thanksgiving

250 Days Until Christmas

257 Days Until New Year

301 Days Until Valentine's Day!

332 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

366 Days Until Easter

• Like 5

2 hours ago, nathan_s82 said:

What are your weekend plans? Tomorrow is jam-packed with Record Store Day and a Comic Convention.

Yep, there are actually some things I want this year!!  Last few years have been thin.  And with the higher pressing numbers, you can get online the day after without waiting in line.  This year, have to grab the Craft Recordings mono release of Bill Evans, Everybody Digs Bill Evans and the Jazz Dispensary title.  Will be at my local at 8 AM for a hang with other vinyl nerds until they open at 9.

What you getting Nate?  Anything specific?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Yep, there are actually some things I want this year!!  Last few years have been thin.  And with the higher pressing numbers, you can get online the day after without waiting in line.  This year, have to grab the Craft Recordings mono release of Bill Evans, Everybody Digs Bill Evans and the Jazz Dispensary title.  Will be at my local at 8 AM for a hang with other vinyl nerds until they open at 9.

What you getting Nate?  Anything specific?

Same here, finally a good list of things I need from RSD. Here is what is on my list (Must find at all costs in Bold):

Apocalyptica - World's Collide 2LP
Filter - The Very Best Things 2LP 
Garbage - Lie to Me
Malfunkshun - Olympus Awaits 2LP
Mudhoney - Suck You Dry 5LP
Pearl Jam - Dark Matter LP
Screaming Trees - Weird Things Happening LP
Sevendust - Heavier Than Seven LP
Tad - Infrared Riding Hood
Team Sleep - Self-Titled 2LP
Various Artists - The Spawn Album 2LP

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, nathan_s82 said:

Same here, finally a good list of things I need from RSD. Here is what is on my list (Must find at all costs in Bold):

Apocalyptica - World's Collide 2LP
Filter - The Very Best Things 2LP 
Garbage - Lie to Me
Malfunkshun - Olympus Awaits 2LP
Mudhoney - Suck You Dry 5LP
Pearl Jam - Dark Matter LP
Screaming Trees - Weird Things Happening LP
Sevendust - Heavier Than Seven LP
Tad - Infrared Riding Hood
Team Sleep - Self-Titled 2LP
Various Artists - The Spawn Album 2LP

Nice list.  That Screaming Trees may end up coming home with me.

My local is not that busy, and they often have some of these more limited ones longer.  if you miss out on one, text me and I'll look for it for you if you want.  I'll PM you.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Gary K said:

Must own.  Hope it gets to a retailer that ships to the US

Yes!  Our local Regal theaters are having a showing on 5/19.  They had a Chinatown showing about 2 weeks before that 4K disc was made available for pre-order, was already thinking the same might happen here.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, MikeH5856 said:

Audio-Technica AT-LP60X. Snob away and judge me! (But to my ears, and as a vinyl no-nothing newbie, it works pretty well hooked up to my receiver and was decently priced.)

While my comment was in jest, it is absolutely true that the vinyl/audiophile world is toxic.  Not joking, MP, and even the steel discord, reddit, etc, are so much more fun to be a part of than the online vinyl/audiophile world.  Just brutal elitism and one-upping all the time.  The sharing and community that goes on here is virtually non-existent in that world.

Your system is great! I'm sure it sounds fantastic.  I've never stopped with vinyl since I was 15 and worked in a record store, then went on to a mini-career in DJing (duh, BreakBeatDJ), so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.  I love chatting about it audiophilia (with no judgement of course).  

Good luck with your RSD hunting!  My local hides what I want for me, I know . . . unfair, but I spend a lotta money there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

While my comment was in jest, it is absolutely true that the vinyl/audiophile world is toxic.  Not joking, MP, and even the steel discord, reddit, etc, are so much more fun to be a part of than the online vinyl/audiophile world.  Just brutal elitism and one-upping all the time.  The sharing and community that goes on here is virtually non-existent in that world.

Your system is great! I'm sure it sounds fantastic.  I've never stopped with vinyl since I was 15 and worked in a record store, then went on to a mini-career in DJing (duh, BreakBeatDJ), so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.  I love chatting about it audiophilia (with no judgement of course).  

Good luck with your RSD hunting!  My local hides what I want for me, I know . . . unfair, but I spend a lotta money there.

Yeah, I’ve seen a fair amount of toxicity elsewhere. I always crack me up when the pros (self-ascribed and otherwise) get bent out of shape over a new 4K that looks beautiful while in motion but may look less than stellar when paused and go into the bit rates and nitpicking and and and. And I’m like, well, who the hell watches these movies just one frame at a time? 😂 I know there’s all kinds of technical whatsits to be explored, but that’s not where I’m at. That said, even I could tell Terminator 2 looked pretty janky. 😂

And likewise with my new little vinyl hobby. Yeah, I’m not a pro, and I’ve seen redditors ragging on others with my system because it’s entry-level, but… that’s where I’m at. I don’t need anything more than this little mainstream doohickey for the masses. It sounds good to me, and I’m having fun with it, and it didn’t cost me thousands of dollars and require a new room to be built. 😂

As for RSD, I’m keeping my fingers crossed! My local shop is supposed to put their list up tonight for what to expect. Worst case scenario, I just have to wait a bit for the iTunes release of the new Garbage EP. That’s not a bad first world problem to have. 

And thanks, man, I appreciate it. If any questions occur to me, I will certainly hit you up! Happy shopping tomorrow! I hope we get to see your haul. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

This is one of many reasons why I took a liking to MP when it came to the world of movies (or "film" for the snobs 😁) and physical media.

• Like 6
  • Love 1