IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

25 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Wow, that literally hurt to read that.  I sure hope you can find replacements, but there's nothing like the one's you held in your Cheeto's stained hands as a kid, right?

A not quite similar story for me, but with a happy ending . . . I'm also an avid Stamp collector (no, I'm not old 😆), my dad got me started when I was 5.  My first real album was a Scott Liberty in two volumes.  My sister used to go in to it and get mint stamps to send her postcards, etc.  Bummed me out.  So, when I was about 13 and had a pretty awesome/valuable collection, I went in the basement and hid it in the drop ceiling.  I climbed up on a chair, and lifted a panel, then pushed both volumes to one side to hide it from my sister.  

Well, football season started, then school started, then I met a girl, and before you knew it I forgot where I put it.  Then, one day, my dad comes home and says we're moving (it was a rental so it happened quickly).  I tried to find it, but couldn't, I swear I looked everywhere, and no dice . . . and then we moved.  I was pissed off.

Years later, like when I'm 35, my mom and I were driving by our old house (we'd moved to Florida) and I said, let's stop in, I want to see if they found my stamp collection.  The people were really cool about it, I told them the story, they laughed.  I went in to the basement, and the friggin first panel I lifted up, in the back corner by a non-structural wall, I saw the edge of the blue spine of the album.  When I pushed to the side when I was 13, it had slid down a bit on the other side of the non-structural wall, so I couldn't see it when I was much shorter.  

I couldn't believe it.  Just crazy, 20 years later to have that back.  

So, long story to say, I'm sorry you won't get your comics back @MikeH5856 my man.  Although replacing them will be fun too, you get to relive buying them again.  

There is nothing wrong with Stamp Collecting! I'm so glad you got it back. I collect a little of everything, so you have to enjoy what you love. I am so glad to your collection back!

• Like 3

• Replies 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Wow, that literally hurt to read that.  I sure hope you can find replacements, but there's nothing like the one's you held in your Cheeto's stained hands as a kid, right?

A not quite similar story for me, but with a happy ending . . . I'm also an avid Stamp collector (no, I'm not old 😆), my dad got me started when I was 5.  My first real album was a Scott Liberty in two volumes.  My sister used to go in to it and get mint stamps to send her postcards, etc.  Bummed me out.  So, when I was about 13 and had a pretty awesome/valuable collection, I went in the basement and hid it in the drop ceiling.  I climbed up on a chair, and lifted a panel, then pushed both volumes to one side to hide it from my sister.  

Well, football season started, then school started, then I met a girl, and before you knew it I forgot where I put it.  Then, one day, my dad comes home and says we're moving (it was a rental so it happened quickly).  I tried to find it, but couldn't, I swear I looked everywhere, and no dice . . . and then we moved.  I was pissed off.

Years later, like when I'm 35, my mom and I were driving by our old house (we'd moved to Florida) and I said, let's stop in, I want to see if they found my stamp collection.  The people were really cool about it, I told them the story, they laughed.  I went in to the basement, and the friggin first panel I lifted up, in the back corner by a non-structural wall, I saw the edge of the blue spine of the album.  When I pushed to the side when I was 13, it had slid down a bit on the other side of the non-structural wall, so I couldn't see it when I was much shorter.  

I couldn't believe it.  Just crazy, 20 years later to have that back.  

So, long story to say, I'm sorry you won't get your comics back @MikeH5856 my man.  Although replacing them will be fun too, you get to relive buying them again.  

Man that’s amazing.  That must have felt incredible.

I just drug the boxes of my comics out when we moved, haven’t put them in the attic, which is where they were in the previous house.  Heavy on mid-80s to early 90s Marvel, though there’s a lot of other stuff.

Going to go through it with my son, who is a Marvel fan now, especially Spider Man (unfortunately my collection is too old to have any Miles Morales).  I really want him to sample The Last Hunt with Kraven, for instance.  See if he has any taste for William Blake :) 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Happy Tuesday All! @Heywoodmoutaw, Kraven's Last Hunt was one of my favorite Spider-Man's stories, as well as the introduction of Venom from Todd McFarlane and the Sinister Six.

stuck spider man GIF

25 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

45 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

80 Days Until Retro Expo

186 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

191 Days Until Halloween

219 Days Until Thanksgiving

246 Days Until Christmas

253 Days Until New Year

297 Days Until Valentine's Day!

328 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

362 Days Until Easter

• Like 5

Happy Wednesday All!! Halfway through the work week and I wish it was the weekend already.

Tired Wednesday Morning GIF by alexchocron

24 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

44 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

79 Days Until Retro Expo

185 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

190 Days Until Halloween

218 Days Until Thanksgiving

245 Days Until Christmas

252 Days Until New Year

296 Days Until Valentine's Day!

327 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

361 Days Until Easter

• Like 3

Happy Thursday Everyone! What is on your agenda today?

Season 6 Monday GIF by Friends

23 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

43 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

78 Days Until Retro Expo

184 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

189 Days Until Halloween

217 Days Until Thanksgiving

244 Days Until Christmas

251 Days Until New Year

295 Days Until Valentine's Day!

326 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

360 Days Until Easter

• Like 5

Happy Friday All! What are your plans this weekend? I'll be working a Car Show tomorrow and lawn work.

lawn satisfying GIF

22 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

42 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

77 Days Until Retro Expo

183 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

188 Days Until Halloween

216 Days Until Thanksgiving

243 Days Until Christmas

250 Days Until New Year

294 Days Until Valentine's Day!

325 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

359 Days Until Easter

• Like 4

8 hours ago, nathan_s82 said:

Happy Friday All! What are your plans this weekend? I'll be working a Car Show tomorrow and lawn work.

lawn satisfying GIF

22 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

42 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

77 Days Until Retro Expo

183 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

188 Days Until Halloween

216 Days Until Thanksgiving

243 Days Until Christmas

250 Days Until New Year

294 Days Until Valentine's Day!

325 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

359 Days Until Easter

That sounds cool, I love car shows.  We are actually going up to Mammoth Cave, the world’s largest cave system.  It’s near my hometown which, since you mention car shows, is the home of the Corvette.  I have been to a lot of great car shows.  Of course, the big event every year is the Corvette Homecoming, when people drive their Corvettes in from all over the country.

But Bowling Green KY also used to be a big center for drag racing as well, and there are lots of non-Corvette car shows.  There used to be a big event every year for Grand Nationals but I’m not sure if they’re still doing that.

Got any cars that you’re especially proud of?  I only drive a Hyundai, sadly, because I’m a middle aged dad who needs a good warranty and good gas mileage.  I recently sold the last fun car I had, a 2000 VW GTI VR6.  Fun to drive, but it needs so much care that it’s like having an extra child.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

That sounds cool, I love car shows.  We are actually going up to Mammoth Cave, the world’s largest cave system.  It’s near my hometown which, since you mention car shows, is the home of the Corvette.  I have been to a lot of great car shows.  Of course, the big event every year is the Corvette Homecoming, when people drive their Corvettes in from all over the country.

But Bowling Green KY also used to be a big center for drag racing as well, and there are lots of non-Corvette car shows.  There used to be a big event every year for Grand Nationals but I’m not sure if they’re still doing that.

Got any cars that you’re especially proud of?  I only drive a Hyundai, sadly, because I’m a middle aged dad who needs a good warranty and good gas mileage.  I recently sold the last fun car I had, a 2000 VW GTI VR6.  Fun to drive, but it needs so much care that it’s like having an extra child.

I miss Bowling Green and Horse Cave! Went to school at Barren County High. I had 2 cars that I was proud of. I had 1970 Chevelle SS 454 Big Block and 1964 1/2 Mustang. Alas, once I moved around in the Military I couldn't keep them and had to sell them.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, nathan_s82 said:

I miss Bowling Green and Horse Cave! Went to school at Barren County High. I had 2 cars that I was proud of. I had 1970 Chevelle SS 454 Big Block and 1964 1/2 Mustang. Alas, once I moved around in the Military I couldn't keep them and had to sell them.

Man that’s crazy, what are the odds?  When were you at Barren County?  I graduated from Warren Central in 1992 (Jeez I’m old).  My primary interaction with Barren County High was playing their tennis team twice a year :)  

• Like 3