IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

23 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

Ouch! I can't handle dentist stuff so I'm really feeling for you, hang in there, hopefully Aliens 4K will help distract you. M2M is available for rent too if you need a new movie to stream, but I can't vouch for the quality of the film itself given it's absolutely slathered in nostalgia for me. 

Thanks.  Mission to Mars is one of those things I look for on streaming from time to time, I mean, it’s De Palma in space.  That’s intriguing.  I don’t think I even knew that Morricone scored it until today.

Not for nothing, I’m aware of people’s issues with it, but I think the Aliens transfer looks great so far.  Granted I haven’t even made it to the point of seeing aliens yet.

• Like 6

• Replies 30.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

De Palma in space.  That’s intriguing.  I don’t think I even knew that Morricone scored it until today.

Just got home. Despite some questionable scientific accuracy and cheesy dialogue here and there, it still holds up in my mind! The score is both haunting and beautiful. Makes for some really eerie scenes and always dominates said scene in the best way. Audio was gloriously loud. Love the opening one-shot. Man, 35mm is such a treat.

You know what grinds my gears though? A lot of folks laugh at things that aren't meant to be funny. I've noticed it more and more lately at showings of older films. For example I saw Lifeforce there a few years back, and you would've thought it was a comedy by the way people were reacting. I really don't understand that. I mean obviously I get that unintentional hilarity exists and can happen, but it's just gone really overboard in the group settings these days.

The most unforgivable to me is those that laugh during HAL's disconnection in 2001. I've always felt it's one of the most tragic scenes ever put to film. Bowman is absolutely savagely murdering this being, cold and calculating just as HAL did to the rest of the crew a few scenes prior. HAL is essentially begging for his life and... people are laughing. Happens every single screening, kills me every time.

2504e216cc3e580b549aaa78a97d7661.gif.f2eb0edcf839935b609f56a31b71290e.gif

Sorry, I didn't mean for this to turn into a rant, but it's a rant now. 😆

ezgif-6-43ebdbd6a1.gif.e8902f86532bdb6819cfe75f0fa60ef6.gif

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

Just got home. Despite some questionable scientific accuracy and cheesy dialogue here and there, it still holds up in my mind! The score is both haunting and beautiful. Makes for some really eerie scenes and always dominates said scene in the best way. Audio was gloriously loud. Love the opening one-shot. Man, 35mm is such a treat.

You know what grinds my gears though? A lot of folks laugh at things that aren't meant to be funny. I've noticed it more and more lately at showings of older films. For example I saw Lifeforce there a few years back, and you would've thought it was a comedy by the way people were reacting. I really don't understand that. I mean obviously I get that unintentional hilarity exists and can happen, but it's just gone really overboard in the group settings these days.

The most unforgivable to me is those that laugh during HAL's disconnection in 2001. I've always felt it's one of the most tragic scenes ever put to film. Bowman is absolutely savagely murdering this being, cold and calculating just as HAL did to the rest of the crew a few scenes prior. HAL is essentially begging for his life and... people are laughing. Happens every single screening, kills me every time.

I think this is why many films in the past decade or so have had this smug, self-aware streak in them.

They just have to punctuate sincere moments with a quip or joke out of fear of being seen as sentimental or cheesy.

• Like 7

Happy Friday All!!! What do you have planned for the weekend?

Happy Friday GIF by giphystudios2022

9 Days Until Easter

57 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

77 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

113 Days Until Retro Expo

218 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

223 Days Until Halloween

251 Days Until Thanksgiving

279 Days Until Christmas

285 Days Until New Year

329 Days Until Valentine's Day!

360 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Fortis93 said:

I think this is why many films in the past decade or so have had this smug, self-aware streak in them.

They just have to punctuate sincere moments with a quip or joke out of fear of being seen as sentimental or cheesy.

For my part, I think it’s hard to get at anything real and meaningful when even the art films split everyone up into Good Guys and Bad Guys.  It’s not possible to see tragedy in HAL, for instance, if he has to be 100% Good or 100% Bad.  

• Like 5

Good afternoon evedrybody!

A while ago I went on Filmarena's website, and I saw two curious things: editions that were sold out in stock, and prices raised just like resellers. It happens in so many editions that it can't be a coincidence. It's not enough to say that they found a box in the warehouse.

It's not that it's something that other people don't do, or that they can't do as well, but I'm surprised that they're adopting this strategy now. It's a change.

In my opinion, they should focus on publishing new editions, take a little more care of the ones they put out, the world has changed and they continue to do the same as they did last decade without any attempt at improvement, maybe it would be good for their business. And for us too. And respect deadlines a little more. And vary the titles a bit.

In fact, their production rate is getting surprisingly low, close to non-existent. 

Anyway, they will know.

Have a nice day!

• Like 7

10 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

The fact that people are becoming more and more childish has a big influence on this. They don't have the maturity - nor often the minimum culture necessary - to know how to differentiate between moments, and to perceive the importance of what is in front of them. For them everything is a joke. A dramatic film, not having a job, human rights. Everything.

And that, without taking it to that extreme, is also seen in many details in the cinema. Like when they need movement and action all the time, because they are unable to sit and wait, to be patient, to dive, to be proactive. They haven't had to do that in their life.

10 hours ago, Fortis93 said:

Right.

In fact, there is a certain amount of formal self-consciousness in showing some things. They just try to be in the "fashionable values".

That's why there is a generation that only knows those "Values", and reacts badly to anything different.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

@BreakBeatDJ I've been meaning to ask you something that's been bugging me for a few weeks now.

And I don't mean any offence by this, so please don't take this the wrong way.

But, are you one of those New Yorkers who pronounce "coffee" as "caw-fee"?

image.gif.0509b499f893f29f66c8f1789fc4ecfd.gif

image.gif.c49edbd306155f12a6973b2f11d0a417.gif

image.gif.406fbcdb132672e7b025fd237c0c419d.gif

image.gif

Edited by BreakBeatDJ
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Casiusco said:

@Heywoodmoutaw

Hey man, did you go to the dentist? Me too! Yesterday I was there, and although it was going to be a simple visit, when I realised the girl came up to me with a big syringe and a long needle on the end, asking me to open my mouth.

What kind of people can dream of working in something like that?

giphy-1596528715.gif

Ugh!  What did they end up doing to you?

I had at least 4 shots in the mouth yesterday.  Things seem to be getting better.  Still have a little swelling from the infection in my gums.  I’m sitting here at work with one of the ice packs that I usually send in my son’s lunchbox, pressed against my upper lip to get the swelling down.  

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

I had at least 4 shots in the mouth yesterday.  Things seem to be getting better.  Still have a little swelling from the infection in my gums.  I’m sitting here at work with one of the ice packs that I usually send in my son’s lunchbox, pressed against my upper lip to get the swelling down.  

Okay . . . this is getting bizarre . . .

Dentist appointment yesterday . . . cracked tooth . . . 

@Casiusco @Heywoodmoutaw . . .

image.gif.dfba33ad131b62aad156179b430c39d8.gif

No infection, a simple crown, but three of us in three days?????????

Hope you two get through it soon without too much pain.

image.gif.e4772a22f03cf385049f17a44bb79e35.gif

But other MP members . . . 

image.gif.0d0d1caa1aa19483d624ac271fb2109f.gif

image.gif.172f5a8fe73acc68f5eb229b20cfab8a.gif

Edited by BreakBeatDJ
  • Haha 6

20 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Okay . . . this is getting bizarre . . .

Dentist appointment yesterday . . . cracked tooth . . . 

@Casiusco @Heywoodmoutaw . . .

image.gif.dfba33ad131b62aad156179b430c39d8.gif

No infection, a simple crown, but three of us in three days?????????

Hope you two get through it soon without too much pain.

image.gif.e4772a22f03cf385049f17a44bb79e35.gif

But other MP members . . . 

image.gif.0d0d1caa1aa19483d624ac271fb2109f.gif

image.gif.172f5a8fe73acc68f5eb229b20cfab8a.gif

It’s the Cameron discs!!

Or . . . you don’t suppose it has anything to do with these Silver Shamrock masks?

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

I really hope you feel better soon!! That stuff is no fun. :(

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Awards