IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Monday All! Back to the grind!

Invest Monday Morning GIF by ProBit Global

6 Days Until Easter

54 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

74 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

110 Days Until Retro Expo

215 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

220 Days Until Halloween

248 Days Until Thanksgiving

276 Days Until Christmas

282 Days Until New Year

326 Days Until Valentine's Day!

357 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

• Like 5

Good afternoon, everyone!

Yes, this crazy weather yesterday finally had me in sunny 28ºC (82.4ºF) having a drink with a friend in a terrace, and today... 8ºC (46.4ºF) with polar wind and rain. 

And no, it's not normal.

At least today is Monday, but a different Monday: in Spain, Thursday and Friday are holidays for Easter.

And I need it very much... 🤘

Don't forget: no boss is going to bring you back to health!

• Like 7

🤠 Yes it is Tuesday and let’s make it a joyful one indeed Psychos! 🙋🏻‍♂️ 

Happy Road Trip GIF by Pudgy Penguins

80%
Cloudy, windy and cooler with a heavy thunderstorm around from late morning on; thunderstorms can bring damaging winds and even an isolated tornado

RealFeel®58°

RealFeel Shade™57°

Max UV Index2 Low

WindS 18 mph

• Like 4

Happy Wednesday All!!!  Halfway to Weekend!

Happy Easter Bunny GIF by Robert E Blackmon

5 Days Until Easter

53 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

73 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

109 Days Until Retro Expo

214 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

219 Days Until Halloween

247 Days Until Thanksgiving

275 Days Until Christmas

281 Days Until New Year

325 Days Until Valentine's Day!

356 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

• Like 4

Probably not going to have time to watch anything tonight, feel like I’m letting down the team, but: tomorrow night I get to see Chinatown in the theater!  If anyone else is interested, all the Regal theaters near me are showing it tomorrow night for $5.

Looks like for at least the next few months, Regal theaters are showing older movies every Wednesday night for $5.  Next week they’re showing The Matrix, looks like after that they’re showing Nolan movies for 6 weeks or so (Interstellar, Dunkirk, Insomnia, I forget the others).  

Might just be my local here, but on May 22nd, there’s an IMAX showing of Uncut Gems and a 65th anniversary showing of North by Northwest, which is where I’ll be.  Never seen it in a theater, one of my favorites.  Surely we’ll get the 4K disc this year, right?

• Like 5

A couple months ago I worked on a trailer for a show a friend (won't say a name or gender here) is pitching to Warners.  Yesterday, we finally got together and had lunch when they were in town.

We ended up talking about the post-strike situation in Hollywood and how it's affecting production (I don't work in LA or NYC much any more so I'm out of the loop).  They are currently working on the IT prequel, Welcome to Derry, in production in Toronto.  Warners lost about 500 million during the strike and the studio is clawing it back, penny by penny, on any production they can, making production very difficult in ways it wasn't pre-strike. 

We began discussing how this is going to affect the final product and what that will mean for viewers.  Obviously the creators are working as hard as they can to make their shows great, but it seems the mood is still very hostile between the studios and production entities at this point, and the expectation is that many shows/movies, will move to smaller studios, pitch less production-heavy projects, over the next months if it doesn't change.  And, in fact, it already is happening.

I couldn't get my friend to admit that this will obviously affect the final product, for obvious reasons, but hearing of some of the things they are dealing with from Warners, it's hard to imagine it won't.  So, I guess the takeaway is that some of these post-strike shows/films may suffer a studio caused drop in production value, etc.  We'll see. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

A couple months ago I worked on a trailer for a show a friend (won't say a name or gender here) is pitching to Warners.  Yesterday, we finally got together and had lunch when they were in town.

We ended up talking about the post-strike situation in Hollywood and how it's affecting production (I don't work in LA or NYC much any more so I'm out of the loop).  They are currently working on the IT prequel, Welcome to Derry, in production in Toronto.  Warners lost about 500 million during the strike and the studio is clawing it back, penny by penny, on any production they can, making production very difficult in ways it wasn't pre-strike. 

We began discussing how this is going to affect the final product and what that will mean for viewers.  Obviously the creators are working as hard as they can to make their shows great, but it seems the mood is still very hostile between the studios and production entities at this point, and the expectation is that many shows/movies, will move to smaller studios, pitch less production-heavy projects, over the next months if it doesn't change.  And, in fact, it already is happening.

I couldn't get my friend to admit that this will obviously affect the final product, for obvious reasons, but hearing of some of the things they are dealing with from Warners, it's hard to imagine it won't.  So, I guess the takeaway is that some of these post-strike shows/films may suffer a studio caused drop in production value, etc.  We'll see. 

Interesting you bring this up because I was listening to a channel (film threat) I came across while browsing youtube and the panel were in discussion about how there's still bad blood left over from the strikes in addition to not as many movies are coming out this year as a result. They covered how moving forward we could see more movies shows etc possibly being done by smaller studios. Could a smaller studio mean a tighter run ship perhaps not the same level of bloat and would this force more of a focus on quality over quantity. They went on to use Godzilla Minus 1 as an example due to the budget that movie had and what was still able to be put forth and how they went about doing that. It was mentioned how Hollywood was feeling some type of way about that because it showed you don't need a 200 300 million dollar project have to have a good quality movie especially after the numerous flops from last year. It was a good conversation but hearing what your friend said still makes you go wow.

Edited by LeadFarmer
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, LeadFarmer said:

Interesting you bring this up because I was listening a channel (film threat) I came across while browsing youtube and the panel were in discussion about how there's still bad blood left over from the strikes in addition to not as many movies are coming out this year as a result. They covered how moving forward we could see more movies shows etc possibly being done by smaller studios. Could a smaller studio mean a tighter run ships perhaps not the same level of bloat and would this force more of a focus on quality over quantity. They went on to use Godzilla Minus 1 as an example due to the budget that movie had and what was still able to be put forth and how they went about doing that. It was mentioned how Hollywood was feeling some type of way about that because it showed you don't need a 200 300 million dollar project have to have a good quality movie especially after the numerous flops from last year. It was a good conversation but hearing what your friend said still makes you go wow.

Yeah, that's interesting it's out there in the zeitgeist.   Your point about smaller forcing more creativity, maybe better shows/films, is a good one.  But, I'll say, from spending thousands of hours on sets, it's stressful and the margin of error is super small, and often the lack of resources causes those errors.  So, while I agree with your premise, it is a fine line to walk, I think : bloat vs need isn't always clear until after it's in the can.

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

This reminds me of something I read a couple of days ago.

So, Alex Proyas (the guy who made The Crow, Dark City, iRobot) has been trying to get some original projects off the ground to no avail. 

He's created his own virtual filmmaking studio actually not far from where I live where he creates original short films and is trying to get an original feature off the ground via those crowdfunding campaigns.

It's a shame because he was born and grew up in the exact same area I did and was planning on making an original sci-fi movie right here based on his own personal experiences growing up. It was called "The New Country" with Guy Pearce set to star, but the studios ended up pulling the plug before they could start shooting.

I imagine there are many other stories like this.

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

This reminds me of something I read a couple of days ago.

So, Alex Proyas (the guy who made The Crow, Dark City, iRobot) has been trying to get some original projects off the ground to no avail. 

He's created his own virtual filmmaking studio actually not far from where I live where he creates original short films and is trying to get an original feature off the ground via those crowdfunding campaigns.

It's a shame because he was born and grew up in the exact same area I did and was planning on making an original sci-fi movie right here based on his own personal experiences growing up. It was called "The New Country" with Guy Pearce set to star, but the studios ended up pulling the plug before they could start shooting.

I imagine there are many other stories like this.

Interesting story.  Too bad he didn't get it green lit.

When I started my career 25 years ago, there was a pretty clear path to get where you wanted to go.  It wasn't rocket science.  Join IFC, go to conferences, get a lawyer/agent, and then sort of go forward.  

Now, it's the Wild West.   There are so many random stories of how things get made, green lit, options for production, etc.  During the pandemic some friends of mine from Tampa built Vu Studios, they now have four virtual production facilities, and are doing amazingly well.  I find it boring shooting on those LED sets.  But it works, and is convincing.  And, anyone can buy one now, the tech (they use a lot of game tech, sensors in the floors and ceiling to adjust POV as the camera moves) is getting to the point anyone can make a movie who can get on one of these sets.

I think they will continue to grow, until . . . text to video AI gets better, then, you can make a movie on your laptop with prompts.  It's coming.

Edited by BreakBeatDJ
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Interesting story.  Too bad he didn't get it green lit.

When I started my career 25 years ago, there was a pretty clear path to get where you wanted to go.  It wasn't rocket science.  Join IFC, go to conferences, get a lawyer/agent, and then sort of go forward.  

Now, it's the Wild West.   There are so many random stories of how things get made, green lit, options for production, etc.  During the pandemic some friends of mine from Tampa built Vu Studios, they now have four virtual production facilities, and are doing amazingly well.  I find it boring shooting on those LED sets.  But it works, and is convinving.  And, anyone can buy one now, the tech (they use a lot of game tech, sensors in the floors and ceiling to adjust POV as the camera moves) is getting to the point anyone can make a movie who can get on one of these sets.

I think they will continue to grow, until . . . text to video AI gets better, then, you can make a movie on your laptop with prompts.  It's coming.

I know Proyas is actually experimenting with AI and trying to make his films that way (if you go to his Twitter or Instagram, you'll see some of what he's done).

This is actually something I've been interested in.

You hear about more opportunities being afforded to people within that industry that weren't there before, but you also hear about how much easier it was for studios back then to take chances on new, upcoming filmmakers like a David Fincher, or Alex Proyas, or even Michael Bay, who started out making music videos and then transitioned into feature films.

Do you think it was easier back then, or was it a case of having rose-tinted glasses?

Edited by Fortis93
  • Like 6

Well I goofed yesterday, I want yesterday to be Wednesday, and it wasn't, but Today is (for sure).

The Simpsons Easter GIF

(This was how I felt this morning)

4 Days Until Easter

52 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

72 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

108 Days Until Retro Expo

213 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

218 Days Until Halloween

246 Days Until Thanksgiving

274 Days Until Christmas

280 Days Until New Year

324 Days Until Valentine's Day!

355 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

• Like 6

1 minute ago, nathan_s82 said:

@BreakBeatDJ & @Fortis93, do you think that because of the multi-ways to create entertainment today, that has affected how Production occurs as well? For example, a Content Creator can make short films on YouTube and then independently fund them through Kickstarter or Indiegogo.

Well, I'm about as far removed from the industry as you can be, but to me, it looks like that's where things are headed.

I know the guys who made "Talk To Me" were Aussie YouTubers who spent a good decade amassing a large following from their wacky, action-packed short films before making their film debut.

• Like 5