IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

2 hours ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Sooo...I take it you don't like Mean Girls? 🤣

Mean Girls Whatever GIF

But, yes, there is something very calming about watching a film or tv show in which you are familiar. I believe there was a study conducted about that very topic. It creates a sense of relaxation because we know what is going to happen and we KNOW that we will enjoy it. There is no chance of disappointment. Obviously, this is desirable to some (like me) in a world filled with unpredictability, anxiety, and chaos.  Nostalgia is also a powerful relaxer.

There is also the added bonus that you may see something or catch a joke you have previously missed. I have "go-to" films (Mean Girl is one) that I pop in if I'm desiring the opportunity to just sink into the couch and turn off my brain. I have a few TV shows that I cycle through as well. Namely The Office, Scrubs, and Parks and Rec.

Anyway, hope everyone has a wonderful day!

I have to make a confession: I have never seen "Mean Girls". But it's written for when I meet it available, I want to see it, now I'm curious. ;) 

As for seeing something that's familiar to you... I like to have moments for everything. Sometimes -just like you- I want to see something that I already know, something that I know is going to amuse me: to be on the safe side, or just to repeat sensations or review something that I like or admire.

But other days I feel like letting go, facing something unexpected, or very different, or difficult, and experiment to see where it takes me. Entering the cinema to see something completely different, and trying to understand why it is good, or why it is bad, or why it is so. Let go, allow that to be an experience, and not another meeting.

It all depends on the mood level, and the level of tiredness. It's like food, sometimes you want a hamburger, and sometimes a good rice with lobster. 

And yes, nostalgia is a powerful relaxant; but I have a little restlessness inside that prevents me from relaxing too much, or too many times in a row, and pushes me to try to take more steps. Find new islands where to stay for a while.

I also have some favorite series or movies, of course, but in some cases, with the most appreciated ones, I try not to watch them too much, leaving time in between; don't wear down its memory. It's the only way I know so that the next time something surprises or impact me again, and something resurfaces -whatever remains- of those sensations from the first or second time.

In the case of "Hannibal", seeing it for the first time after seeing it on TV in 2013 (T1), has given me a different perspective. Sometimes it happens. In this case it is better than I expected. Other times you see a movie that you have great memories of, and it disappoints you. You know.

• Like 6

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Reagh said:

@Casiusco Thank you for your great analysis and review of Elvis. Initially I had zero interest in this film, but after reading your review and experience of watching it the second time, I felt the need to give it a chance. I’m glad I did! I found it to be very entertaining and different than the standard Bio picture. Thanks again my friend! Hope you have a great week! 

Thank you for your kind words.

My surprise when I got rid of some initial expectation or doubts, was to realize that it's a film about Elvis which tries to reflect not only his life, but how great he was. What he implied. The impact of him.

It's the story that tells and how you tells it. Something that can only be done from devotion, not from artifice. Present a larger-than-life historical character and do it in a way that goes beyond the usual when it comes to doing it. Make it bigger. More intense. Shining. 

I guess it's consistent.

Getting closer to what he felt about music. Because if you now see any of his performances, even the last ones, and you forget about the clothes, that obsolete touch, the stage, and you see him singing, you realize that even at the end he was crazy about music , was probably the biggest drug of all, letting go without caring to dive into his own melodies, and putting his guts on stage. And I say that without ever having been a fan of Elvis.

For me, that is part of the film's merit; trying to make people that watch it to perceive that senseless and overflowing passion, which was born when I was a child and ran to sneak into religious songs loosing his mind.

I'm glad you had a fun time watching it. ;) 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Casiusco said:

I have to make a confession: I have never seen "Mean Girls". But it's written for when I meet it available, I want to see it, now I'm curious. ;) 

As for seeing something that's familiar to you... I like to have moments for everything. Sometimes -just like you- I want to see something that I already know, something that I know is going to amuse me: to be on the safe side, or just to repeat sensations or review something that I like or admire.

But other days I feel like letting go, facing something unexpected, or very different, or difficult, and experiment to see where it takes me. Entering the cinema to see something completely different, and trying to understand why it is good, or why it is bad, or why it is so. Let go, allow that to be an experience, and not another meeting.

It all depends on the mood level, and the level of tiredness. It's like food, sometimes you want a hamburger, and sometimes a good rice with lobster. 

And yes, nostalgia is a powerful relaxant; but I have a little restlessness inside that prevents me from relaxing too much, or too many times in a row, and pushes me to try to take more steps. Find new islands where to stay for a while.

I also have some favorite series or movies, of course, but in some cases, with the most appreciated ones, I try not to watch them too much, leaving time in between; don't wear down its memory. It's the only way I know so that the next time something surprises or impact me again, and something resurfaces -whatever remains- of those sensations from the first or second time.

In the case of "Hannibal", seeing it for the first time after seeing it on TV in 2013 (T1), has given me a different perspective. Sometimes it happens. In this case it is better than I expected. Other times you see a movie that you have great memories of, and it disappoints you. You know.

I have a feeling Mean Girls won't be appreciated by many outside of the US. It's just one of those stupid films with A LOT of quotable lines.

I understand seeing something different as well. I RARELY venture into the horror genre but, after hearing so many positive things about Jordan Peele, decided to see Nope on opening weekend because I was craving something outside of my usual interests. I wound up really liking it and have since seen "Us" as well. I actually like that one even more. So, that single venture has caused me to explore some of the more popular titles like "The Thing" - something I never really envisioned myself doing.

Such is life though, right? We stay within our comfort zones fearing anything different because of anxiety, rumors, assumptions, stereotypes, etc. Then, due to a number of various catalysts, we occasionally step outside of that zone. Many times we may regret it, but it's easily balanced out by that one time you discover something new that hits you just the right way. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

I have a feeling Mean Girls won't be appreciated by many outside of the US. It's just one of those stupid films with A LOT of quotable lines.

I understand seeing something different as well. I RARELY venture into the horror genre but, after hearing so many positive things about Jordan Peele, decided to see Nope on opening weekend because I was craving something outside of my usual interests. I wound up really liking it and have since seen "Us" as well. I actually like that one even more. So, that single venture has caused me to explore some of the more popular titles like "The Thing" - something I never really envisioned myself doing.

Such is life though, right? We stay within our comfort zones fearing anything different because of anxiety, rumors, assumptions, stereotypes, etc. Then, due to a number of various catalysts, we occasionally step outside of that zone. Many times we may regret it, but it's easily balanced out by that one time you discover something new that hits you just the right way. 

For the most part, I rarely regret stepping out of my comfort zone with films. It's typically pretty rewarding! 

• Like 3

Awards

15 minutes ago, damships said:

For the most part, I rarely regret stepping out of my comfort zone with films. It's typically pretty rewarding! 

I agree with films. There have only been a very small number of films that I've suffered through, turned off, walked out, etc. Elvis was one of them :( but that was more in the "when will this end" category and not the walk out category.

There are MANY more instances in other aspects of life though...

Angry Ron Burgundy GIF

• Like 3

Just now, GuyIncognit0 said:

I agree with films. There have only been a very small number of films that I've suffered through, turned off, walked out, etc. Elvis was one of them :( but that was more in the "when will this end" category and not the walk out category.

There are MANY more instances in other aspects of life though...

Angry Ron Burgundy GIF

Oh man. Wife wants to see Elvis. I just have a weird feeling that I wont enjoy it lol, but the trailer looks great! 

• Like 3

Awards

2 minutes ago, damships said:

Oh man. Wife wants to see Elvis. I just have a weird feeling that I wont enjoy it lol, but the trailer looks great! 

Austin Butler's performance is award-worthy and there are many great scenes overall so I don't want to deter you from watching it. @Casiusco had some wonderful things to say about it after his second watch... 

I wouldn't mind giving it a second chance to be honest. The length and framing device were my main gripes. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Austin Butler's performance is award-worthy and there are many great scenes overall so I don't want to deter you from watching it. @Casiusco had some wonderful things to say about it after his second watch... 

I wouldn't mind giving it a second chance to be honest. The length and framing device were my main gripes. 

d&d nerd GIF

Seriously, Austin Butler crushes it. I heard he consumed himself into the role that he was unable to break out of the accent in his normal everyday life talking to friends. Talk about method acting!

I'm excited to see him play Feyd in Dune Part 2. The cast is stacked!

• Like 2

Awards

10 hours ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Did you see Get Out as well? That was my favorite of Peele's and then Nope would be my #2.

Awards

2 minutes ago, ukade2327 said:

😳…“ you gotta be fcuking kiddin….”……

first time …. !!!..????…….😆

I know, I know...

Horror has never been my thing. I just never saw the point of it. I run around all day with anxiety why would I want to subject myself to more of it during my leisure? Plus, I'm a wimp. 🤣

Horror Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I've been branching out a bit lately because I've come to a better appreciation of film over the past few years. I like it when a film has something to say or is presenting an current world issue in a unique way. A few friends told me that horror is often used in that sense so I'm checking it out 👍

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, extantsrevenge said:

and-so-it-begins.gif

We have a new Award. For all Psychos that think one edition of a movie is not enough 😆.

new_award_gotta_have_them_all_three_of_a_kind_trans_v2_glittering_particles.gif.ed39b7befbe7e91087c6a7a8734bc01a.gif

Make sure to read the instructions.

Ooooh, very cool! I can think of at least 3 titles that meet this criteria in my collection. Going to see if I have another two. You might be seeing a submission from me soon if so! :D 

• Like 3

On 10/4/2022 at 7:34 PM, GuyIncognit0 said:

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm European, and stupid movies with a lot of quotable lines are the best to watch with friends. ;) 

Taking a risk with something different requires an open mind, and patience; and if you have it, it can be a disappointment, but also a joy that is worth everything else.

I don't watch much horror either, at least current movies, they bore me a lot, with some exceptions I almost always end up with the feeling of watching clone movies. And by the way, I think Jordan Peele is talented, very talented, but I think his true good movie is still to come. And "Get out" seemed to me the worst -or least good- of all his films. I must be the only one. :D 

"The thing" will always be an entertaining movie, and with that charm of someone who makes them with love for what they do, and not just combining a few popular elements.

Totally agree. That's what I was trying to say before: it can go wrong, and many times it does; but when you get out of your comfort zone and it goes well, that pays for all the others.

And the worst thing is that the comfort zone is becoming narrower, and fewer people want to get out of it. It's too comfortable inside.

And the comfort, the fear, or the aversion to having to apply patience, or the discomfort of having to assume that we don't have as big a perspective as we like to believe, are terrible, they make people hold on to something and not want to look to the sides, like a horse that can only go forward.

Risk in film is fun. That a movie is an experience and not just the review of something known is fun.

But everything has its moment. Like "Mean Girls", which will be when I have time and it's a suitable night. Because not all movies are worth every night, right? ;) 

• Like 4

hello psychos hope everyone is well, still in the throws of moving atm.

just got my broadband turned on now.

its not been plain sailing as i would have liked but we are in, a million boxes to open and no furniture to put the stuff in 😭

have just managed to order 2 beds and a dining room table thanks to my parents as some how over the move i have managed to loose my wallet 😭

yes lost the bloody lot main bank card, 2 credit cards and all my other various cards.

lucky for me i had ordered a new driving licence round my mum and dads few days before on there internet.

at the age of 46 could not believe i need to get the back up of bank of mum and dad.

feels like i gone back 26 years, not good.

they have even had to pay for my supermarket shopping as well.

lucky for me they have been very understanding and realised one of those things.

also still fighting to get a correct quote on new curtains for the house lol.

something tells me this is going to be good few weeks before can order all the correct stuff for the house.

once get my beds and dining table be able to measure up for everything else.

glad im never ever moving again this is it xD 

basil 👍

• Sad 4