IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Interesting.  I know he's from the midwest, so I hear @Veum as the dad from A Christmas Story.

Everyone else on MP I hear with Morgan Freeman's voice.

image.jpeg.a879d42dde1ff572a2cd4f760682035d.jpeg

@Fortis93 do you like that movie?  I know people hate it and it's not a very sensitive-to-other-cultures movie, which I am about, but I laugh my a$$ off at this movie.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Interesting.  I know he's from the midwest, so I hear @Veum as the dad from A Christmas Story.

Everyone else on MP I hear with Morgan Freeman's voice.

image.jpeg.a879d42dde1ff572a2cd4f760682035d.jpeg

Don't mind me. I'm just an Aussie who's seen too many American movies.

I'd love to have a speaking voice like Morgan Freeman's and a singing voice like Tom Jones. Like real soulful sh*t, you know?

I'm always fascinated by how varied American accents are. I remember watching this on Jimmy Kimmel, which I thought was pretty funny.

Spoiler

And speaking of NY. 

I finally got around to watching Manhattan a couple of days ago.

That's probably the coolest I've ever seen New York look in movies.

• Haha 6

19 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

Is that The Love Guru?

Honestly, mate, I haven't seen it yet. 😅

But, it's on my watch list.

It's worth it just for Justin Timberlake.  Wasn't a music fan of his, but any super star  that can make a fool of himself and completely own it, I'm a fan of theirs.  Hilarious.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

And speaking of NY. 

I finally got around to watching Manhattan a couple of days ago.

That's probably the coolest I've ever seen New York look in movies.

For some reason the Kimmel wouldn't load.  I think I've seen that before.  It is hilarious.

Yeah, that movie looks great.  A love letter to the city according to Allen.  You have a good eye, that's Kodak 5222 BW.  Amazing if well lit.  Also used for the BW sequences of Momento.  And I believe used as the base for the new large format (IMAX) BW stock that was created for Nolan to shoot the BW scenes in Oppenheimer IIRC.

Manhattan the movie? . . . maybe that's a convo for a DM.  🤔

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Yeah, that movie looks great.  A love letter to the city according to Allen.  You have a good eye, that's Kodak 5222 BW.  Amazing if well lit.  Also used for the BW sequences of Momento.  And I believe used as the base for the new large format (IMAX) BW stock that was created for Nolan to shoot the BW scenes in Oppenheimer IIRC.

Manhattan the movie? . . . maybe that's a convo for a DM.  🤔

Oh, that's cool.

I didn't know that. The B&W cinematography in Oppenheimer was pretty eye-catching too.

As for the movie, I know what you mean. 😅

I appreciate that Allen was going for a sincere and romantic love story, but the relationship between him and a 17-year-old is a bit....you know. 

I don't think it worked as well in that regard.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Fortis93 said:

It also doesn't hurt that you're from Spain.

French and Spanish accents are supposed to be the sexiest, right? 😄

Well, .... I am from Spain... and a girl never said that to me....

is it because it's actually the French and ITALIAN accent? 

Yeah, she sure didn't tell me she thought I was sexy because of that...

sure...

tenor.gif

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

@Fortis93 do you like that movie?  I know people hate it and it's not a very sensitive-to-other-cultures movie, which I am about, but I laugh my a$$ off at this movie.

My opinion:

I never avoid to watch a film because it makes jokes about another culture, or about my culture and my people. 

People should distinguish between an official statement, or a personal confession, and .... what is humour.

They are different things.

It is necessary to distinguish when we are serious and when we are joking. Just as we must distinguish a film from the personal opinions - political or social - of the director. They are not the same thing, no.

As far as I'm concerned, let them make jokes about whatever they want. Any subject, any place. Any flag. All I ask is that they're witty, funny, not the usual easy joke that isn't funny, only vulgar.

That's why I love Ricky Gervais.

In fact, I loved his speach the last time he was the host of the Golden Globes celebration. The joke about Jeffrey Epstein, and the true under the joke, those faces... can't be paid. 

And thats the fact why he will never be invited to repeat, or host the Oscars. A pity. :D 

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 5

Good morning/afternoon, dear Psychos.

I went to the cinema to see "Opus", Ryuichi Sakamoto's posthumous concert.

I never go to the cinema to see concerts, maybe I'm a bit of an old school man, but I always prefer the real live performance, face to face, or if not, to see it at home. Besides, let's not fool ourselves, many of the live concerts here in cinemas are for a type of artists or music that doesn't motivate me that much either.

After several years of trying to survive the cancer, in his last days, when he was still able to play, but everything was fading away, he went to a studio and played some of his best pieces, just him and a grand piano, nothing else, nobody else. His last time before he was no longer able.

This session, which is more session than concert, and more spark than session, was recorded in black and white by a small crew directed by his son.

There are no words, except for a little unique moment when he complains that he finds it hard to make that effort...., and asks to repeat something; there is no applause, no commentary. Just him, his piano, and a lamp.

The rest, darkness, delicious music played for the last time, resounding just as his gestures resounded at the end of each piece; when he finished the last one.

I have never heard -nor felt- such silence in a theatre. From the beginning. No one moved, no one spoke, no one moved, no one ate. As if any intrusion could break the moment.

I loved it. Although it requires a calmness that not everyone is willing to offer nowadays.

At the end, in absolute silence, almost everyone remained seated. For a moment.

Then, little by little, we began to get up, and without making a sound, without speaking, all the spectators disappeared through the door.

• Like 5

Happy Thursday Psychos! @Casiusco, I still love seeing concerts in person but seeing Metallica at the Drive-In was an amazing experience.

Happy Thursday GIF by ViralHog

16 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

36 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

71 Days Until Retro Expo

177 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

182 Days Until Halloween

210 Days Until Thanksgiving

237 Days Until Christmas

244 Days Until New Year

288 Days Until Valentine's Day!

321 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

353 Days Until Easter

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, nathan_s82 said:

Happy Thursday Psychos! @Casiusco, I still love seeing concerts in person but seeing Metallica at the Drive-In was an amazing experience.

Happy Thursday GIF by ViralHog

16 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

36 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

71 Days Until Retro Expo

177 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

182 Days Until Halloween

210 Days Until Thanksgiving

237 Days Until Christmas

244 Days Until New Year

288 Days Until Valentine's Day!

321 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

353 Days Until Easter

Probably.

In fact, it is possible that after this experience I will repeat.

But only with artists that I really like, and that the experience gives me an added value.

Something special. Maybe like what you say. ;) 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Fortis93 said:

Any car lovers here?

Love this.  Can’t remember who I talked to about this here, but I recently sold my VW GTI VR6, and now I only have a dad car: 23 Hyundai Elantra, automatic transmission.  I’m out of the car business, just don’t have time to work on any.

I love a manual transmission.  Got rear-ended and pushed into the car in front of me about a year and a half ago, totaled my new car with a manual transmission.  Had to buy something right away, couldn’t find anything new with a stick shift.  Most companies have stopped making them and we were also still having post-Covid car shortages at the time.

So now I have not a single car with a manual transmission for the first time in about 20 years.  

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

Good morning/afternoon, dear Psychos.

I went to the cinema to see "Opus", Ryuichi Sakamoto's posthumous concert.

I never go to the cinema to see concerts, maybe I'm a bit of an old school man, but I always prefer the real live performance, face to face, or if not, to see it at home. Besides, let's not fool ourselves, many of the live concerts here in cinemas are for a type of artists or music that doesn't motivate me that much either.

After several years of trying to survive the cancer, in his last days, when he was still able to play, but everything was fading away, he went to a studio and played some of his best pieces, just him and a grand piano, nothing else, nobody else. His last time before he was no longer able.

This session, which is more session than concert, and more spark than session, was recorded in black and white by a small crew directed by his son.

There are no words, except for a little unique moment when he complains that he finds it hard to make that effort...., and asks to repeat something; there is no applause, no commentary. Just him, his piano, and a lamp.

The rest, darkness, delicious music played for the last time, resounding just as his gestures resounded at the end of each piece; when he finished the last one.

I have never heard -nor felt- such silence in a theatre. From the beginning. No one moved, no one spoke, no one moved, no one ate. As if any intrusion could break the moment.

I loved it. Although it requires a calmness that not everyone is willing to offer nowadays.

At the end, in absolute silence, almost everyone remained seated. For a moment.

Then, little by little, we began to get up, and without making a sound, without speaking, all the spectators disappeared through the door.

You’ve piqued my curiosity.  Do you ever listen to Keith Jarrett, by any chance?  You’ve inspired me to put on one of his Sun Bear concerts this morning, haven’t listened to him in ages.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

You’ve piqued my curiosity.  Do you ever listen to Keith Jarrett, by any chance?  You’ve inspired me to put on one of his Sun Bear concerts this morning, haven’t listened to him in ages.

If my comment has motivated or inspired you to do something that has made your day better, I've already won heaven today. ;) 

I've listened to some of his music on Youtube, but I'm not an expert. 

Still, now I'm curious and I have it playing in the background right now. Good suggestion! Thank you.

It's funny, because since I was a kid it was an intriguing and frequent name for me, because I always liked Jean-Michel Jarre's music, a completely different genre, I have all his records, and in all the record shops they had the records of both of them mixed together. Yes, from when we used to go to the record shops to buy the records. 😍

• Like 4