IGNORED

The Criterion Collection

R1s1ngs0n

3 hours ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

AshamedCluelessBluefintuna-size_restrict

I'd rather not put into words what I think of this 'Premium' release, so I'll leave it at that.

I didn't see the second and third films of the trilogy. I absolutely loved the first one and thought it didn't need any prequel/sequel.

If Criterion will indeed release the trilogy, it will most likely be as a boxset, in which case I'll sadly have to pass.

5 hours ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

Very nice haul. My first 4K Criterion, Raging Bull, should arrive in a couple of weeks 😃

I'm eagerly awaiting the announcment of their October titles, which should happen pretty soon. Since Goodfellas has yet to receive a proper release (Premium or otherwise), Criterion pretty much remain my only hope and I'm confident it will happen at some point. Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and The King Of Comedy all got nice Zavvi steels so it's about time the greatest ever mob movie got the treatment it deserves.

With goodfellas being such a popular title with alot of releases I dont know that they will do that film. I suppose the best chance would be if they did a scorcese boxset, which we may also not get until he passes or something. I could see king of comedy or his lesser talked about movies that aren't on 4k getting a release, like what they did for last temptation of christ.

Awards

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Ryan said:

With goodfellas being such a popular title with alot of releases I dont know that they will do that film. I suppose the best chance would be if they did a scorcese boxset, which we may also not get until he passes or something. I could see king of comedy or his lesser talked about movies that aren't on 4k getting a release, like what they did for last temptation of christ.

In the space of 9 years, Goodfellas got 3 steelbook releases, including ToC, That is certainly not a lot for such a classic. The problem with the Scorsese movies in general, is that the artwork available is extremely limited. The first steel released in 2013 was by far the best since it used the iconic poster but was matte and the back was kinda plain.

I'm not expecting a WEA steelbook, I'm realistic. But even a Criterion amaray with the original artwork, boasting a superior transfer (which is long overdue) and new extras would make me very happy.

• ★ Administrators ★
4 hours ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

AshamedCluelessBluefintuna-size_restrict

I'd rather not put into words what I think of this 'Premium' release, so I'll leave it at that.

I didn't see the second and third films of the trilogy. I absolutely loved the first one and thought it didn't need any prequel/sequel.

If Criterion will indeed release the trilogy, it will most likely be as a boxset, in which case I'll sadly have to pass.

Yes, it certainly is not what I've now come to expect from a legit premium release and a new 4k scan (not even 4k HDR) and criterion treatment with new extras would be amazing, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for Infernal Affairs I'm right there with you.  I loved the first (even a bit more than The Departed) but haven't seen the prequel/sequel and am not particularly enthusiastic about those.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gary K said:

Yes, it certainly is not what I've now come to expect from a legit premium release and a new 4k scan (not even 4k HDR) and criterion treatment with new extras would be amazing, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for Infernal Affairs I'm right there with you.  I loved the first (even a bit more than The Departed) but haven't seen the prequel/sequel and am not particularly enthusiastic about those.

The Departed is an average movie by Scorsese standards and clearly inferior to the original. Along with Morricone's Oscar for The Hateful Eight, Scoresese's belated Academy Award for The Departed is the most obvious consolation prize in Oscar history, which is also one of the reasons why I've lost any interest in this total joke of a ceremony.

14 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

Probably too much to hope for a slipcased digipack instead of an Amray on top of that.

Personally, I much prefer their sturdy amaray cases over their rather flimsy digipacks. I was very relieved that Raging Bull, one of my favorite films, didn't get a digipack.

With the exception of The Princess Bride which got a wonderful digibook, I'd have prefered all my Criterion titles to have the amaray case. Looks better on the shelf, too.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

Quite likely! But that edition is good enough for me as it is, so I won't be upgrading (or at least not for a long time).

One of my fav horror films and I do have the Criterion BD… do not know what the 4K will be like, if we get a nice slip box & goodies I imagine I’ll be purchasing this classic again! :)

Charging Episode 19 GIF by The Simpsons

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

Nothin' wrong with that

lips-cute.gif

And congratulations on your first award 😁

posts100.gif.d6da1591684398200e9b9dc353f

Hilarious! LOL

But seriously, a 4k of Living Dead? Wasn;t it shot on 16mm to begin with? I like The Beatles and all - but to let the best A.I. remaster them and put them on titanium LP's, I really don't think they'll sound THAT much better....

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★
3 minutes ago, StevenWest said:

Hilarious! LOL

But seriously, a 4k of Living Dead? Wasn;t it shot on 16mm to begin with? I like The Beatles and all - but to let the best A.I. remaster them and put them on titanium LP's, I really don't think they'll sound THAT much better....

Well judging from the 4K HDR transfer of a hard days night and Double Indemnity, I’m pretty confident we will see a noticeable improvement in the blacks, grain and other elements.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

October releases

O4mn7lXmAaCzdLtUmSqBHAKHJBQW3P_large.jpg

STItnM0YCOhRjkbk50fCGHlj4gjjci_large.jpg

bWEA41YCQNEKPfVmws5oTnDP3FYcpa_large.jpg

kW4vdD5H2cOG0xyxBeZmWOCimB5lvX_large.jpg

gzPHGDVDcEY9p6kUkVX71Hv2YLZOdp_large.jpg

Ao5oLiXSWNpxqSHeftscr5xQjHRItR_large.jpg

Cure is awesome! Super excited for that one. Everything else looks meh, though Eve's Bayou looks interesting. I cant stand david lynch and did we really need a 4k of the overrated Night of the Living Dead. 🤷‍♂️

Awards

20 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Cure is awesome! Super excited for that one. Everything else looks meh, though Eve's Bayou looks interesting. I cant stand david lynch and did we really need a 4k of the overrated Night of the Living Dead. 🤷‍♂️

Looks like they went all 'Halloween' horror/mistery for October. I didn't see any of these films but like you said, 'Cure' looks very intriguing and it's the only title that piques my interest (love that cover, too).

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • ★ Administrators ★

November Titles

Daisies

Release Date: November 1, 2022

Price: $31.95

Purchase Link: Criterion

image.thumb.jpeg.be1802c83e74e5f9720bcf7bcf4b2c66.jpeg

In The Mood For Love (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray)

Release Date: November 1, 2022

Price: $39.95

image.thumb.jpeg.2600494407cbba05c16a4b1e807f49ff.jpeg

The Power Of The Dog (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray)

Release Date: November 8, 2022

Price: $39.96

image.thumb.jpeg.fcd04e0afcf0972f6c4bcb50729e1d69.jpeg

The Infernal Affairs Trilogy

Release Date:  November 15, 2022

Price:  $79.96

image.thumb.jpeg.b9f17f9437e9e5902e4ac7660291e3c2.jpeg

Malcolm X (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray)

Release Date: November 22, 2022

Price: $39.96