IGNORED

New Anime Blu-ray Release Topic

extantsrevenge

I am going to start watching this thread more often.  My son's enjoy anime and I am always looking for ways for us to enjoy cinema together, so I am going to dive in to find some good series to get me going.  If you guys have any advice for a really great series to start with, let me know...

I am a little bummed, I was planning on trying to get a couple of the CE's for my son during the sale, but in my head I thought the sale went through Tonight... I think I messed up the dates in my head as I knew it was the 18th but for whatever reason I had the 18th as today, not yesterday...

Does anime rarely go on sale through these sites and that's why the Holiday Sales are so sought after?

Thanks!

• Like 6

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, AndroiDad75 said:

I am going to start watching this thread more often.  My son's enjoy anime and I am always looking for ways for us to enjoy cinema together, so I am going to dive in to find some good series to get me going.  If you guys have any advice for a really great series to start with, let me know...

That’s awesome!!

I used to watch Naruto with my 4YO (at the time) daugther. Also, Avatar, Last Airbender. We love these.

Now we are watching Black Clover, but kind of stopped as my 3 YO boy gets a little scared with some episodes 😅😅. But it’s a great series. I love it.

As we stopped with BC we started with Dragon Quest, Adventures of Dai. They both love it!!

How old is your kid??

56 minutes ago, AndroiDad75 said:

Does anime rarely go on sale through these sites and that's why the Holiday Sales are so sought after?

You’ll see a few sales during the year so I wouldn’t worry that much. This one is perfect for the holidays tho… 🤓🤓

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, LeGonze said:

That’s awesome!!

I used to watch Naruto with my 4YO (at the time) daugther. Also, Avatar, Last Airbender. We love these.

Now we are watching Black Clover, but kind of stopped as my 3 YO boy gets a little scared with some episodes 😅😅. But it’s a great series. I love it.

As we stopped with BC we started with Dragon Quest, Adventures of Dai. They both love it!!

How old is your kid??

You’ll see a few sales during the year so I wouldn’t worry that much. This one is perfect for the holidays tho… 🤓🤓

Thanks @LeGonze!  I did forget that I have watched the last air bender when the boys were younger and we all did love that. They are now 14 and 16.  

I did buy the steels for The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra.  We haven't seen the latter, so maybe that would be a good one for all of us to watch together next, since we already saw airbender.

Yeah, it looks like this was a good sale, I just messed up the days and missed it.  That's what I get for waiting to dive in...LOL

Edited by AndroiDad75
  • Like 3

Good Afternoon @AndroiDad75😀

I'll take some of the blame here, as I mentioned to you in a PM I had plans of providing you appropriate info on titles your Sons may enjoy.

Don't get too down on yourself though Buddy, I have a feeling Santa might just be coming to your aid...😉

I'd like to address the sales first, if I may;

There are a variety of Anime retailers with it seems, a few more popping up just recently (i.e, Shout! Factory is getting bigger into it).

They all have sales of one type or another throughout the year, with strong focus on specific events such as "Spring", "Summer", "Black Friday", "Christmas" and sometimes their "Anniversary or Birthday".

They will occasionally also hold sales devoted to a specific Publisher/Studio, i.e. Funimation, MVM, Discotek, Sentai, etc.

Finally, most of the sites will have "weekly specials", "early bird offerings", "megadeals" etc throughout the year.

If you elect to sign up for their news-letters, you will often receive an email providing advance notice for most of these.

So essentially, missing out on one particular sale usually only means a delay until your next chance arrives.

Yes, some highly valued titles may disappear (for a while) but these folk also know that if a title is a big seller once, it will be again and unless an item's description explicitly states "this title will no longer be available" during the sale, there's a good chance you'll get another shot at it.

So, who are these Retailers?

I've listed the Big Players before in previous posts in this thread but have no qualms doing so again;

RightStuf (USA) - https://www.rightstufanime.com/

Sentai (USA) - https://www.sentaifilmworks.com/

Funimation (USA) - https://www.funimation.com/new-releases/

AllTheAnime (aka Anime Lmtd) [UK] - https://www.alltheanime.com/

Anime-On-Line (AoL) [UK] - https://www.anime-on-line.com/ 

Also, it is worth your while to check in on the Amazon sites as well!

As for titles that may be of interest for your Sons (and you) to consider, I'll again copy/paste from an earlier post I made that may provide you some ideas.

Action and Intrigue:

*- Attack on Titan: (as it is the current most popular out there you can pick up)

*- Demon Slayer: another huge title that is ripping up all the charts

*- Akira: older sci-fi classic that is a "classic" for a reason, must get.

*- Sword Of The Stranger: incredible katana swordplay!

*- Blade Of The Immortal: also incredible swordplay but totally different plot.

*- Ninja Scroll: older show with more incredible swordplay, with again, a unique plot

Horror/Dark Fantasy:

*- Hellsing (Ultimate): Vampire Hunter hunts bad vamps and Nazis, not for the timid! ("Ultimate" is the re-do (preferred) after manga finally ended)

*- Vampire Hunter D : also sequel Vamp D  Blood Lust; similar to the Snypes film "Blade" but much better! (Medieval setting of sorts)

*- Berserk:  sword for hire has significant hurdles to overcome, both human and demon (NOT the 2016/17 version!)

- Fate (series): Many incarnations but starting with "Fate: Zero" is best bet. Hot chicks battle each other and demons

- Castlevania: not actually an Anime but great animation. Guy on quest to kill Dracula and Brood. Netflix = if ya wanna check it out first.

- Elfen Lied: another "classic" essentially sci-fi, about a young girl with exceptional, homicidal powers. Hugely impactful.

Sci-Fi:

*- Fullmetal Alchemist: "Original" and "Brotherhood" though "Brotherhood" is the better show for new viewers as it's more complete wrt the Manga.

*- Ghost In The Shell: Original Anime film + GitS SAC (Stand Alone Complex) [note: the new GitS 2045 leaves a LOT to be desired, I'd pass on it]

- Steins Gate: S-1 to start. Scientist invents a microwave that can send messages backward and forward in time.

*- Cowboy BeBop: another "classic" about a merc group of Bounty Hunters in space. Required viewing.

- Outlaw Star: similar to above but different. really great funny moments but pretty action packed!

*- Psycho Pass: great crime/sci-fi premise with future tech embellished. S-1 is best but S-2 and S-3 are pretty good, so is film.

*- Neon Genesis; Evangelion: older show just now getting a Blu release. Standard amaray is decently priced.  {Mandated Viewing] 🤩

- No Guns Life: sci-fi gumshoe/P.i. drama. The guy protag has a gun, for a head. Played straight, good "film noir" style to it.

Of course, there's new stuff in the pipe all the time but this should assist you in your research at least.

Any queries my friend, please don't be shy!

Cheers! ☺️

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Grendel said:

I'll take some of the blame here, as I mentioned to you in a PM I had plans of providing you appropriate info on titles your Sons may enjoy.

Don't get too down on yourself though Buddy, I have a feeling Santa might just be coming to your aid...😉

There are a variety of Anime retailers with it seems, a few more popping up just recently (i.e, Shout! Factory is getting bigger into it).

They all have sales of one type or another throughout the year, with strong focus on specific events such as "Spring", "Summer", "Black Friday", "Christmas" and sometimes their "Anniversary or Birthday".

They will occasionally also hold sales devoted to a specific Publisher/Studio, i.e. Funimation, MVM, Discotek, Sentai, etc.

Finally, most of the sites will have "weekly specials", "early bird offerings", "megadeals" etc throughout the year.

If you elect to sign up for their news-letters, you will often receive an email providing advance notice for most of these.

So essentially, missing out on one particular sale usually only means a delay until your next chance arrives.

Yes, some highly valued titles may disappear (for a while) but these folk also know that if a title is a big seller once, it will be again and unless an item's description explicitly states "this title will no longer be available" during the sale, there's a good chance you'll get another shot at it.

I've listed the Big Players before in previous posts in this thread but have no qualms doing so again;

As for titles that may be of interest for your Sons (and you) to consider, I'll again copy/paste from an earlier post I made that may provide you some ideas.

Action and Intrigue:

*- Attack on Titan: (as it is the current most popular out there you can pick up)

*- Ninja Scroll: older show with more incredible swordplay, with again, a unique plot

Horror/Dark Fantasy:

*- Hellsing (Ultimate): Vampire Hunter hunts bad vamps and Nazis, not for the timid! ("Ultimate" is the re-do (preferred) after manga finally ended)

*- Vampire Hunter D : also sequel Vamp D  Blood Lust; similar to the Snypes film "Blade" but much better! (Medieval setting of sorts)

*- Berserk:  sword for hire has significant hurdles to overcome, both human and demon (NOT the 2016/17 version!)

- Fate (series): Many incarnations but starting with "Fate: Zero" is best bet. Hot chicks battle each other and demons

- Castlevania: not actually an Anime but great animation. Guy on quest to kill Dracula and Brood. Netflix = if ya wanna check it out first.

- Elfen Lied: another "classic" essentially sci-fi, about a young girl with exceptional, homicidal powers. Hugely impactful.

Sci-Fi:

*- Fullmetal Alchemist: "Original" and "Brotherhood" though "Brotherhood" is the better show for new viewers as it's more complete wrt the Manga.

- Steins Gate: S-1 to start. Scientist invents a microwave that can send messages backward and forward in time.

*- Cowboy BeBop: another "classic" about a merc group of Bounty Hunters in space. Required viewing.

- Outlaw Star: similar to above but different. really great funny moments but pretty action packed!

*- Psycho Pass: great crime/sci-fi premise with future tech embellished. S-1 is best but S-2 and S-3 are pretty good, so is film.

*- Neon Genesis; Evangelion: older show just now getting a Blu release. Standard amaray is decently priced.

- No Guns Life: sci-fi gumshoe/P.i. drama. The guy protag has a gun, for a head. Played straight, good "film noir" style to it.

Of course, there's new stuff in the pipe all the time but this should assist you in your research at least.

Cheers! ☺️

@Grendel, thank you so much for the information!  I have lots to look through now! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Grendel said:

Action and Intrigue:

Horror/Dark Fantasy:

Sci-Fi:

*- Ghost In The Shell: Original Anime film + GitS SAC (Stand Alone Complex) [note: the new GitS 2045 leaves a LOT to be desired, I'd pass on it]

*- Neon Genesis; Evangelion: older show just now getting a Blu release. Standard amaray is decently priced.

Cheers! ☺️

@Grendel ya forgot another classic worth mentioning,  Samurai Champloo 

samurai champloo smile GIF

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hi @Squeegie McGee😀

You're not wrong, my friend.

In my defence, all I can state is that were I to list all the shows I've fallen in love with, my post would be longer than my University Dissertation on "Statistical Process Control Mechanisms in Quality Management" and yeah, not goin' thru that again...😉

Also, ya took the bait! (😉) as I most assuredly was hoping that the wonderful folks here in our tight little Anime community, would contribute to listings of shows worth time, effort and coin (sigh, so much coin...).

So, thanks! And please keep those suggestions coming Buddy! 👍

Cheers

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Hi @Squeegie McGee😀

You're not wrong, my friend.

In my defence, all I can state is that were I to list all the shows I've fallen in love with, my post would be longer than my University Dissertation on "Statistical Process Control Mechanisms in Quality Management" and yeah, not goin' thru that again...😉

Also, ya took the bait! (😉) as I most assuredly was hoping that the wonderful folks here in our tight little Anime community, would contribute to listings of shows worth time, effort and coin (sigh, so much coin...).

So, thanks! And please keep those suggestions coming Buddy! 👍

Cheers

My anime list worth 25 years would take forever years... well not really lol... best way to give a good list would be to identify what they are into: space, rom com, isekai, etc then I can make a list for that 

Kisuke Urahara Bleach GIF

Gif being said, I'm super hyped for Bleach Thousand Year Blood War Arc anime dropping next October. Did you guys see the PV for it? @Grendel @LeGonze @extantsrevenge

BLEACH IS BACK!

Edited by Squeegie McGee
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Grendel said:

Hi there @Squeegie McGee😀

Oh yeah, one of "The Big Three" is makin' a comeback in a BIG way!

I think "Bleach: Thousand Year Blood War" is gonna be awesome. 🤩

Studio Pierrot is bringin' their A-Game, you can tell.

Thanks for mentioning Buddy!

For the uninitiated;

@Grendel What I'm most interested about the return is just how much are they going to censor this. The manga was pretty graphic during this arc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

^^ Hi @Squeegie McGee😀

I honestly don't know at this point, at what height the bar sits for censoring anymore.

" Interspecies Reviewers" did a pretty good job of setting the bar on a floating platform. Then "Redo Of Healer" came along and broke the bar, pissed on the recovery mat and laughed as it banged the protagonist's girl toy in front of her family so um.... yeah, I don't have a bloody clue my Buddy.

Regardless, of the aforementioned though, "Bleach" has a pretty devout following from a variety of age groups and genders, so I think it might be safe to say they'll be a bit more on the sedate conservative side. 😉

I suppose we'll see next year!

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Grendel said:

^^ Hi @Squeegie McGee😀

I honestly don't know at this point, at what height the bar sits for censoring anymore.

" Interspecies Reviewers" did a pretty good job of setting the bar on a floating platform. Then "Redo Of Healer" came along andbrokethe bar, pissed on the recovery mat and laughed as it banged the protagonist's girl toy in front of her family so um.... yeah, I don't have a bloody clue my Buddy.

Regardless, of the aforementioned though, "Bleach" has a pretty devout following from a variety of age groups and genders, so I think it might be safe to say they'll be a bit more on the sedate conservative side. 😉

I suppose we'll see next year!

@Grendel you had to name drop Redo Healer 😆 🤣 😂... yeeaaaahhh... that anime was bananas! My jaw dropped every episode... then I laughed ( messed up I know but damn, that destroyed the bar! 😆)  That anime is not for the faint of heart.. not by a longshot lol 😆 

Flare GIF by HIDIVE

Edited by Squeegie McGee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• ★ Administrators ★

@AndroiDad75 check out the Anime Movies & Series sub category in our Movie section. I added a lot of stuff I enjoy.

Do yourself and your Sons the favor to check out some of the Ghibli Movies, especially Miyazaki.

@Grendel gave you an extensive list already wich includes some of my favorite as well (Attack on Titan, Akira, Fullmetal Alchemist, Berserk, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Elfen Lied, Steins Gate, GitS), but check ou my enrties in the Movie Section. More great Gems to discover from Sci-Fi (Gundam, Macross, Legend of the Galactic Heroes), Fantasy (Claymore, Twelve Kingdoms), Action (Black Lagoon, Full Metal Panic) and more and more and more 😅

manga shonen GIF

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hi @Veum;

Well, if you peruse the listings I made in a post a little ways up, I suspect you'd come across ones that 'fill the bill'.

I think that one means of discovering what titles may be of interest to you, is to "COPY" any of the titles I've listed (in the genre that you have interest in) and "PASTE" that title into the YouTube "search bar".

I'm confident that a variety of vids will come up and simply select one or 2 or 3 etc and give them a look-over.

You should at least be provided 'trailers' of the shows and if one spurs your interest, write it down, plug the title into Amazon or any of the Retailers I've also listed above and determine if the price is worth your effort.

One thing I focused on while developing that very small list, is on titles that are 'readily available'.

You can of course, always drop back here and query our Anime Gang if anyone liked it (same with other titles that spark an interest) and then go from there.

Best of luck in your hunt Buddy.

😀

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Folks;  🙂

Apparently Dec 31st is the last date you'll be able to catch "Fullmetal Alchemist" and "FMA:Brotherhood" available on Netflix.

As this series is one of the best Anime ever produced, I'd advise catching a least a few episodes if ya get the chance, before it leaves.

Of the two, which to recommend?

Well that's gonna be tricky given this circumstance.

The original, FMA, has a much stronger 1st half than Brotherhood but it wrapped production before the Manga finished so it kinda developed its' own ending.

Brotherhood has a much stronger 2nd half, as it adheres to the Manga more closely (always a good thing) but kinda rushed the first half as they were (no doubt right at the time) most watchers would already be familiar with that portion having watched it not too long previous.

Anyway, watching episodes of either is time well spent and doing so for 'free' is always a plus.

note: this IS the same show, just redone.

Cheers 🎅

Edited by Grendel
  • Thanks 4

• ★ Administrators ★
26 minutes ago, Grendel said:

So, according to an email, a lovely edition should be at my door sometime today (22nd).

If so, I can finally take a pic that perhaps @extantsrevenge is curious as to why I have not as yet...😉

Amazon Prime Video Coffee GIF by Prime Video BR

Get that award 😊

• Haha 3

Hi guys I just got an email from nova media announcing that they’re releasing all of shinkai makoto’s catalogue as full slips (all titles before Your Name) which is jolly good news. There’s no mention of steelbooks, just full slips, so hopefully kimchi do weathering with you for a full set. Also nova are continuing with their Wang kar wai steelbooks too which is nice.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Mattrivers95 said:

Hi guys I just got an email from nova media announcing that they’re releasing all of shinkai makoto’s catalogue as full slips (all titles before Your Name) which is jolly good news. There’s no mention of steelbooks, just full slips, so hopefully kimchi do weathering with you for a full set. Also nova are continuing with their Wang kar wai steelbooks too which is nice.

That’s gonna be awesome!!…

@ksosk What do know about this??… 😃😃

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LeGonze said:

My latest reception!!

Anime Christmas!!…

Dr. Stone Season 1 Steelbook!!!

Beautiful art chosen. Matte finish with some shiny spots… Looks beautiful!!… 🤗🤗

Matches perfectly with my LE boxset… 🤓🤓

SUPER FUN SERIES!!… 🤓🤓

9BC665C9-DC17-4C7A-81CD-E0594F1CF5C0.jpeg

6D222219-9846-4FDA-A1AE-9E8E76CA525F.jpeg

C17DF6F4-BB54-44F1-9F7F-57B421679024.jpeg

AF261E91-30E5-442B-9CED-7229C1EAB7F5.jpeg

4E17F9E6-B1ED-44E3-B8C1-DCE35D3B78A4.jpeg

BFECFB5D-6BD4-4BB0-8E3C-B3D865A530DF.jpeg

73501FAC-E6E1-44E3-B44D-B2082CDDD947.jpeg

7E2A7A6A-9CDF-44A0-AD2A-4B4F84FCB8E6.jpeg

Nice, I’ve got that on the way too along with that time I got reincarnated as a slime. I’ve only seen the first ep of each but like what I’ve seen so far.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mattrivers95 said:

Nice, I’ve got that on the way too along with that time I got reincarnated as a slime. I’ve only seen the first ep of each but like what I’ve seen so far.

Awesome!!... I loooove Dr. Stone!!... Very good series!!... ;)

I also tried IGRAASlime but didn't get hooked... I passed on that one... And actually returned Goblin Slayer steelbook as that is an ok series but the animation is bad IMO and the plot is not that great... It hurt to pay $40 for that SB so I returned it... ^_^

• Like 3

Hello My Friends and a VERY Merry Christmas  to you all!  🎅  🥳  😀

Wonderful edition of Doc Stone @LeGonze my Buddy! Looks beautiful!

My UE of NGE from AtA looks like is held up due to mail issues but rather late and pristine, than rushed and damaged.

I'm in no panic.

I was holding off on submitting my pic for the prestigious Otaku Award hoping I could include it but since that could be a while, I think I'll place a submission soon anyway.

I do hope that Santa was kind to all my friends here and please, do toss up some pics of your wonderful presents when ya get a chance.

Cheers Folks!  😀

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3