IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

A few months ago I commented on how some collector's editions that are already 15-20 years old are beginning to see the cardboard they are made of degrade; even if you take good care of them, even if you are careful. Little by little.

Yesterday I was selecting DVD films for Challenge #20, and I found a surprising case: a Cervic branded DVD case that, when I picked it up by hand, despite being well cared for on an IKEA DVD shelf, in a place away from the sun,... it was almost rotten; even being hard plastic... you squeezed it with two fingers and it broke like crunchy cardboard, easily, without the need to use force.

20230213-210854.jpg

I had never seen anything like it.

Solving it was easy: change that plastic case for another one, but... this made me think that soon we will start to value -and a lot- the quality of the materials of those fabulous editions we buy. And how we take care of them.

That retailers use high quality materials, with a good finish, and that we have protective cases, will be a must for any collector.

• Like 5

🥤 Top of the day to ya, going to be ☁️🌬here my friends… good day there Veum here❣️🙏:)🤠 🍵🧋

200.gif

Day

2/14
59°Hi
RealFeel® 52°
RealFeel Shade™ 52°
Sun and areas of high clouds this morning, then mostly cloudy and breezy this afternoon; mild
Logo for U.S. National Weather Service

Wind Advisory

Start

End

Tuesday, February 14, 4:00 PM EST

Wednesday, February 15, 10:00 AM EST

Source: U.S. National Weather Service

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 10 AM EST WEDNESDAY... * WHAT...South winds 15 to 25 mph with frequent gusts up to 40 mph expected. Brief gusts up to 50 mph possible. * WHERE...Portions of central, east central, north central, south central, southeast, southwest and west central Indiana. * WHEN...From 4 PM this afternoon to 10 AM EST Wednesday. * IMPACTS...Gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects. Tree limbs could be blown down and a few power outages may result. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Strongest winds will be this evening and again tomorrow morning. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Use extra caution when driving, especially if operating a high profile vehicle. Secure outdoor objects.

• Like 4

@Casiusco, interesting thought.

I had a video game case once that became like that, you could crumble it in your hand.

Although that case was tossed around in a backpack and not really well cared for.

Kind of scary it happened even when taken care of.

Blu-ray cases definitely seem to be much better quality plastic than most dvd ones.

I know some older white and grey Lego pieces start to change color after many years.

Hopefully our expensive editions will be around for a very long time.

• Like 3

On 2/13/2023 at 4:39 PM, Casiusco said:

A few months ago I commented on how some collector's editions that are already 15-20 years old are beginning to see the cardboard they are made of degrade; even if you take good care of them, even if you are careful. Little by little.

Yesterday I was selecting DVD films for Challenge #20, and I found a surprising case: a Cervic branded DVD case that, when I picked it up by hand, despite being well cared for on an IKEA DVD shelf, in a place away from the sun,... it was almost rotten; even being hard plastic... you squeezed it with two fingers and it broke like crunchy cardboard, easily, without the need to use force.

20230213-210854.jpg

I had never seen anything like it.

Solving it was easy: change that plastic case for another one, but... this made me think that soon we will start to value -and a lot- the quality of the materials of those fabulous editions we buy. And how we take care of them.

That retailers use high quality materials, with a good finish, and that we have protective cases, will be a must for any collector.

Uh Oh Omg GIF by Bounce

Interesting that you brought this up as I was thinking about this recently. I was looking at my WeET Spider-man 2 FS that has the holofoil Doc Oc tentacle wrapping onto the spine from the back panel and wondering if the holofoil will develop a crack or crease over time. To be honest, it's the kind of thing that makes me hesitate about purchasing any more premiums. This is such an expensive hobby and it makes me cringe to think part of this collection (and the value) essentially disintegrate over a relatively short period of time.

I've been tempted to just collect amarays as a result. Yeah, that plastic case might degrade but it's easily replaceable like you said. All would. be fine so long as the disc itself doesn't suffer.

• Like 4

🥤 Top of the day to ya, going to be ☀️ 🌬here my friends… good day there Veum here❣️🙏:)🤠 🍵🧋

Happy If You Say So GIF 

Day

2/15
68°Hi
RealFeel® 67°
RealFeel Shade™ 65°
Partly sunny, breezy and warmer; it will feel more like spring than winter

Wind Advisory

Start

End

Tuesday, February 14, 4:00 PM EST

Wednesday, February 15, 10:00 AM EST

Source: U.S. National Weather Service

...WIND ADVISORY WILL EXPIRE AT 10 AM EST THIS MORNING... Gusty winds are expected to slowly diminish below advisory criteria through the morning hours, therefore will allow the Wind Advisory to expire at 10 AM EST. Wind gusts of 30 to 40 mph will still be possible through the afternoon hours across Central and North Central Indiana. Continue taking the necessary precautions to prevent loose objects from blowing around.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Uh Oh Omg GIF by Bounce

Interesting that you brought this up as I was thinking about this recently. I was looking at my WeET Spider-man 2 FS that has the holofoil Doc Oc tentacle wrapping onto the spine from the back panel and wondering if the holofoil will develop a crack or crease over time. To be honest, it's the kind of thing that makes me hesitate about purchasing any more premiums. This is such an expensive hobby and it makes me cringe to think part of this collection (and the value) essentially disintegrate over a relatively short period of time.

I've been tempted to just collect amarays as a result. Yeah, that plastic case might degrade but it's easily replaceable like you said. All would. be fine so long as the disc itself doesn't suffer.

In my experience, it's the cardboard, the slips, that degrades the most. Even if you are very careful, for example, I have collector's packs with a white case that have paled a little; they are not bad, but when you look at other more recent packs of the same brand you can see the effects of the passage of time.

In fact, sometimes on the edge of the cardboard you can see how the inside is turning yellow, although from the outside the print doesn't show it.

And this is even if you are careful. 

But that doesn't stop me from buying collector's editions, not at all; I trust that with today's protective sleeves the (good) life of our editions will be much longer. Of course, all the valuable editions I own end up in a protective case. Even the steelbook ones, because, even if you are careful, the mere fact of having other films next to them that you can move, over the years you could notice that they are no longer new.

I'm less worried about the discs. Although there have been manufacturers in Europe whose discs stopped working over the years, the disc can always be replaced. 

And as long as my special editions remain just as special in my life, what happens next... is no longer up to me. I don't even know if they will appreciate them as much as I do.

No, a plastic box is not enough for the cinema I love; or for the films I appreciate.

In fact, even for those films in plastic boxes, I'm thinking of buying coloured boxes for the most important ones and start changing them depending on the edition.

• Like 5

🥤 Top of the day to ya, going to be  💨 here my friends… good day there Veum here❣️🙏:)🤠 🍵🧋

Spock Encerio GIF

Day

2/17
35°Hi
RealFeel® 27°
RealFeel Shade™ 24°
Breezy in the morning; clouds and sun, much colder; after a brief cold snap, expect temperatures to rebound over the weekend
  • Like 1