IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

7 minutes ago, extantsrevenge said:

no wonder it gets harder and harder to sell an edition if you no longer want it.

I feel that. It is getting harder to sell all but the cheapest of steelbooks and selling basic discs is impossible, whereas there’s a huge demand for digital copy codes. If I upgrade to a steelbook or premium, I essentially just have to donate my original media because it costs more to mail than people are willing to pay for it.

• Like 3

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/18/2019 at 3:54 PM, extantsrevenge said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7549364

to physical products.

I fear we will see less in the future in regular retail, but more Limited releases just for collectors like us.

I can live with that I think... As I don't shop for purchases in retail much anymore since MP opened my eyes to the more limited releases. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2019 at 3:54 PM, extantsrevenge said:

I fear we will see less in the future in regular retail, but more Limited releases just for collectors like us.

What you are already seeing and will see more of is studios licensing out titles to small boutique labels that produce in limited numbers to serve a niche market. For a studio, it's pure profit to not have to manufacture or distribute anything themselves.

This is what was left of the media section of my local Target before they reallocated diet books in that space. Now they are rarely stocking new releases. You have to order online if you really want to buy physical from them.

• Sad 3

On 4/18/2019 at 4:07 PM, 45Caliber said:

What you are already seeing and will see more of is studios licensing out titles to small boutique labels that produce in limited numbers to serve a niche market. For a studio, it's pure profit to not have to manufacture or distribute anything themselves.

This is what was left of the media section of my local Target before they reallocated diet books in that space. Now they are rarely stocking new releases. You have to order online if you really want to buy physical from them.

I know but...

giphy-downsized.gif

giphy-downsized.gif

giphy-downsized.gif

• Haha 2

• ★ Administrators ★
2 minutes ago, extantsrevenge said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7549364

to physical products.

Exactly the reason why physical media will never die. 

They said that 4K would end the Steelbook market, because the Steelbooks would be a different size all over again. (like DVD to Blu-ray) Got that wrong again. ;)

There is a market for physical media of all forms, and as long as there is money to be made, the studios etc will make/sell it. 

Especially where films are concerned. The same applies to printed books. 

The problem with the re sale of steelbooks, is another matter altogether. That is mainly due to over saturation of the market, and Retailers continually re releasing in different formats. 

Zavvi being a prime example of that. Cap Am in BD, in 3D BD, in 4K. So new collectors only want the latest (4K) editions.

Perhaps Marvel is not the best example, as collectors will buy anything that has Marvel written on it, but the example certainly applies to Disney and lesser releases. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DodgyDave said:

physical media will never die

I never said it would die, only that digital is far more desirable to the average consumer (whom is the bulk of marketshare). Lovers of something physical that takes up space is an ever shrinking pocket of the market and they are being ripped off by the studios, who are offering more, sooner and cheaper in a digital package. Most people could care less about having something to hold. They just want something that is accessible to them, whether by trains, planes or automobiles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★
12 minutes ago, DodgyDave said:

The problem with the re sale of steelbooks, is another matter altogether. That is mainly due to over saturation of the market, and Retailers continually re releasing in different formats. 

Zavvi being a prime example of that. Cap Am in BD, in 3D BD, in 4K. So new collectors only want the latest (4K) editions.

Perhaps Marvel is not the best example, as collectors will buy anything that has Marvel written on it, but the example certainly applies to Disney and lesser releases.

Yes that is a problem. But more so when several retailers do a Premium release for the same movie (that nobody wants, or at least no one ones to get multible for). For example movies like First Man. Sure it is a good movie but has not much rewatch value and not a huge following, so why bother making an FAC when Manta is doing a WEA. But every company wants to get the most profit, but honestly I think it would be better for them not to jump on the bandwagon all the time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 45Caliber said:

I never said it would die, only that digital is far more desirable to the average consumer (whom is the bulk of marketshare). Lovers of something physical that takes up space is an ever shrinking pocket of the market and they are being ripped off by the studios, who are offering more, sooner and cheaper in a digital package. Most people could care less about having something to hold. They just want something that is accessible to them, whether by trains, planes or automobiles.

lolcry.gif

giphy-downsized.gif

• Haha 4

• ★ Administrators ★
12 minutes ago, extantsrevenge said:

Yes that is a problem. But more so when several retailers do a Premium release for the same movie (that nobody wants, or at least no one ones to get multible for). For example movies like First Man. Sure it is a good movie but has not much rewatch value and not a huge following, so why bother making an FAC when Manta is doing a WEA. But every company wants to get the most profit, but honestly I think it would be better for them not to jump on the bandwagon all the time.

I could not agree more. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, extantsrevenge said:

ext, the Manta Lab First Man (never seen this film as of yet! ohnoes.gif) "outer box" is so icon_cool.gif, I'm so glad I got the OC for this! :)

box_33060ce2-58bb-4a9a-9132-5106c2807d34

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

I'd like to see a breakdown of the digital data personally. Physical obviously means re-watch capability but not all digital purchases will ensure re-watch without a further purchase. Would ofc be interesting to correlate digital purchases versus physical, I'm certain a percentage of digital buyers would want a physical copy for a loved film.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DodgyDave said:

That’s exactly what they should be doing.

I would suggest they pull their finger out. My friends in the retail trade tell me 4k has not really taken off in the way manufacturers had hoped. Which probably explains why they keep touting 8K and now the bloody ridiculous 16k. 

I’ll pray to the many faced God, that my 3D TV keeps going until a “modern” 3D/4K alternative is made. 

Hopefully they’ll make 46” ones too. Can’t get anything bigger above the fireplace :D

im limited to 50" same as you chimney breast in the way 1890s house, but they say to get true 4k you need at least 65" for the human eye to detect it apperantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★
8 minutes ago, Basil said:

im limited to 50" same as you chimney breast in the way 1890s house, but they say to get true 4k you need at least 65" for the human eye to detect it apperantly.

Probably why I can’t see any difference on my wife’s 55” 4k telly. 

But let’s not go there again. :D

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, 45Caliber said:

That’s unfounded fear-mongering. You can download every title you own on iTunes and store it locally (the HD version), like say on a mirrored 6TB server.

It’s not like premium retailers will stop producing though. The discs may just be inferior to what’s included in a digital package, be it exclusive extras or AV formats; or they could not include discs at all.

They are already selling empty steelbooks at my local Best Buy for digital videogame copies. They could at least fill them with goodies though, like pop rocks and stickers.

Also, is that what Easter is like in Germany? I have a new appreciation.

hate to piss on your bonfire for one moment, i had ultraviolet account with about 30-40 uv films they shut it down and said i would have to go find all my orginal codes from the discs and could get them all back some how but uv was closing tough sh1t. wtf.

too my hassle my old codes long since in the bin as was registered on uv!

so basically yes digital can be lost just as my bank lost all my credit card statements at the critical moment i needed to prove i had paid for something already.

and hence why i now have paper statements only.

it has happened twice in my case. and not fear monging at least with a disc it in my hands, its down to me.

basil :)

basil

• Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★
2 hours ago, Veum said:

ext, the Manta Lab First Man (never seen this film as of yet! ohnoes.gif) "outer box" is so icon_cool.gif, I'm so glad I got the OC for this! :)

box_33060ce2-58bb-4a9a-9132-5106c2807d34

Best choice if you want to own a copy of the movie 👍, I can't imagine that you will be disappointed Manta Lab makes really nice releases. It was good 8/10 and really deserving of the Special Effects Oscar as it looked real and not like some effects. I will end up having the FAC (when it is made), as I get all FAC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, extantsrevenge said:

I will end up having the FAC (when it is made), as I get all FAC.

Haha waiting for FAC to move forward you will still be waiting for there version of this next year 😂😂. I mean i love there editions myself but delay after delay while promoting what's to come next without shifting what hasn't came yet. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• ★ Administrators ★
2 minutes ago, Robertm89 said:

Haha waiting for FAC to move forward you will still be waiting for there version of this next year 😂😂. I mean i love there editions myself but delay after delay while promoting what's to come next without shifting what hasn't came yet. 

This is how I sometimes look when I wait for FAC 😂

1LBG.gif

It is kind of annoying, especially for editions you really want. Like the GitS and Rise + Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (which I fear we will never get). As I said above, it would be nice to see not every retailer release the same movies, but rather concentrate on specific ones and make these so awesome that no one can resist.

Manta Lab and Filmarena both announced they would do all 3 Apes movies. Both released the 3rd almost at the same time, both could not sell out of their quantity and now it looks like both will not continue 😰, so the collector ends up with 1 of 3 movies as WEA Steelbook. If Manta had not made theirs (FAC announced first), I'm absolutely sure they would have sold all editions and we could have gotten 1 & 2 as well. It is a real shame as the series is awesome. The 3rd one is my favorite movie of 2017 and the FAC Editions are awesome 😍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, extantsrevenge said:

This is how I sometimes look when I wait for FAC 😂

1LBG.gif

It is kind of annoying, especially for editions you really want. Like the GitS and Rise + Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (which I fear we will never get). As I said above, it would be nice to see not every retailer release the same movies, but rather concentrate on specific ones and make these so awesome that no one can resist.

Manta Lab and Filmarena both announced they would do all 3 Apes movies. Both released the 3rd almost at the same time, both could not sell out of their quantity and now it looks like both will not continue 😰, so the collector ends up with 1 of 3 movies as WEA Steelbook. If Manta had not made theirs (FAC announced first), I'm absolutely sure they would have sold all editions and we could have gotten 1 & 2 as well. It is a real shame as the series is awesome. The 3rd one is my favorite movie of 2017 and the FAC Editions are awesome 😍

Yeah I agree.... I'm waiting for alien/aliens/alien 3. If FAC do go ahead with those. Sure they have at least confirmed alien WEA. I've been waiting for my T2 maniacs for I'm not sure how long 😂😂 the new movie be out soon lol. It is annoying if there is a trilogy and you can't complete it with awesome editions. Very much agree with you I enjoyed the ape movies a lot. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Basil said:

i had ultraviolet account with about 30-40 uv films they shut it down and said i would have to go find all my orginal codes from the discs and could get them all back some how but uv was closing tough sh1t. wtf.

UV gave plenty of warning before shutting down. It wasn’t an issue in the states as anything UV stayed in VUDU and FandangoNOW once they shuttered and VUDU also lets you download to store locally. VUDU is owned by Walmart and iTunes by Apple and neither is going anywhere any time soon. 

Also, UV was an antiquated system that kept your license “in the cloud”. This is not true of  the system that killed it, Movies Anywhere. You will own a copy of the film on every connected service regardless of what happens to MoviesAnywhere going forward. Between VUDU, FN, Amazon, iTunes and Google Play all getting licensed from MA, I am in zero fear of losing anything.

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2019 at 4:11 PM, 45Caliber said:

There are many factor involved in setting up your 4K properly. Just ask @xSNAKExPLISSKENx who got a top-of-the-line OLED the other night and after calibrating said the difference is (in his words) “face-melting”.

If this is what a top of the line 4K OLED does to you I’ll be going back to VHS!!!!

7A6B0680-3950-47B8-BF97-56A98AD0FB42.gif

• Haha 3

Hello everyone- I’m late to the party and playing catch up here so please bear with me....

I’m a UK member - some of you may know me but for those that don’t I’m a 80s kid so love the usual classics that I was raised on. Anything Arnold Schwarzenegger, Aliens etc. Being a 80’s kid I not a snowflake and love a bit of banter.

I like Marvel but don’t love it (please no hate) , I like gangster/criminal stuff - Scorsese films. What I really do like is people’s life story’s, peoples battles and triumphs. People who’s survived against the odds or changed the world or right it’s wrongs.

I may not be up to date with current films due to work and kids, I’m usually the last to see a film most times due to waiting to get a premium copy of it. Not exactly what you wanna hear on a film physical media forum so hows this, I am a Ford Master Technician and maybe can answer any car related issues you may have in exchange for your film review😁😂

My personal grail is Public Enemies Future Shop steel - yes it’s got a blue banner but don’t laugh kids that’s where it all started 😂

Most looking forward to the 4K release of Hdzeta Gladiator and my OC order of First man from Manta Lab

Right that’s me up to speed, thank you @Robertm89 for bringing me here. Now let’s continue the debate on physical media over digital, but let’s not get too serious..... let’s get this English room up and going with the help of our worldly members chipping in please 😁

Riley

• Like 4

Thanks for the great intro @RileyLad. I don’t think anyone here is debating that we as a community like to have physical releases and the premium packages retailers put together for them. We wouldn’t be here if we didn’t; we’d all be out enjoying sunshine and having more money in our bank accounts.

The point of contention is that anyone else cares and the numbers speak for themselves. Year after year, digital sales explode while physical sales plummet. Does that mean we should be mourning the loss of physical media? Of course not, discs are still being produced and will be for some time, if not by the studios than by boutique retailers that always have and will continue to serve a niche market.

There are members of our lot we have surely lost. I see it all the time on social media; people thrilled to be relieving themselves of their physical collections and making the move to full digital. For whatever reason, be it space, be it financial, be it convenience or portability, they are wholly embracing the format and they are neither stupid nor evil for doing so. People like what they like and I’m in no better position to judge them for it than they I for collecting multiple copies of the same movie in a different shirt, coat and tie. Some would say that’s crazy and I have no reasonable defense for it other than being a huge fan of films, in general, and to a lesser extent (I hope), a bit of a hoarder of things I like.

Personally, I like having both. The premiums are lovely and I enjoy having them, but I also like having access to the bulk of my film library wherever I go. Even at home, I’m often more inclined to watch something from my digital library than remove a premium from its protective slip, fish it out of the decorative slip, get the disc out, boot the player, scan through the previews that have the skip function blocked on the remote and hope that when I stop it to resume later that the disc has been coded with a resume function that will let me pick up where I left off with out having to start the process over from the beginning and scan to find my place. None of that is ideal when I sit down to watch something for an hour. My wife would surely prefer I only have a digital library as she feels pushed out of her house by movie editions, but that a whole other discussion.

The other issue that was raised is that studios are proactively trying to make disc releases less attractive to the consumer by stripping them of options that they’re starting to only include on digital. The recent Captain America 4K release is a prime example; the disc only offers HDR while Dolby Vision is the exclusive to the digital release (Disney continues to do this). This is an unfortunate practice that is actually happening, whether we like it or not. They are also sometimes only releasing things on digital; or the problem I’m starting to see more of, only releasing the 4K version on digital. This forces me to only buy the digital because I’m not going to pay more for an inferior Blu-Ray when that’s the only physical option available to me.

• Like 4

On 4/16/2019 at 2:30 PM, Veum said:

Hey all MP's,

*Running Tab

I've been in my "Resurrection Day" movie watching mode since Thursday April 11th and here is what I've watched so far :):

202109_large.jpg?t=1528230422 199416_large.jpg?t=1521216570 150972_large.jpg?t=1472593169 162448_large.jpg?t=1481563233 3439_large.jpg?t=0

Up for our viewing enjoyment tonight:

35966_large.jpg?t=1452017325

watched tonight:

2540_large.jpg?t=1398740231

1073_1.jpg 1073_6.jpg

This film always gets to me spiritually/emotionally halo.gif icon_sad.gif cry.gif

On 4/16/2019 at 2:30 PM, Veum said:

@Veum bullwhip.gif

• Thanks 1