Plisskens House of Horror

xSNAKExPLISSKENx

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Bones said:

@romain I did see it and really enjoyed it. I also started the second season of the terror from amc last night and liking it so far. I havnt started lovecraft country yet but im going to based on @xSNAKExPLISSKENx recommendation. 

Terror is fantastic! Loved the first season a lot! I'm about halfway through season 2 and it is just as good if not better.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Veum said:

I love The Conjuring series...

Popped in this flik a few minutes ago, blind buy/watch for me & it’s been pretty creepy so far...

... anyone seen it?🤔

THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY

image.jpeg.d26ddc038316650cf296e3f09852a749.jpeg

I have not, let us know your final verdict.

Conjuring is one of my favorite modern flix, and honestly I think number 2 is my favorite of the 2, hope 3 is on par. As far as the universe goes non of them really got me. Didn't like Annabelle or the nun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can certainly relate to your thoughts regarding more recent horror fare @Bones.

There has been some excellent ones, though often they get overshadowed by the assembly line of sequels, remakes, re-imaginings and reboots.

Often it's chalked up to the laziness of Hollywood to provide new and innovative subjects but I suspect it also has to do with their group-think mentality of "well, it worked once, let's crank out another and make some quick money".

I've kept eye on some studios outside the Hollywood thoroughfare and have been pleasantly surprised by a number of films that don't quite get the recognition or press that the larger American studios enjoy.

To name a few;

- The Wailing: (2016, Hong-Jin) a Korean film that provides an excellent display of Eastern theology and mythology. It received a beautiful release from Kimchi that sadly is sold out but for a quick and easy pick-up, the NA 'WellGo' release is adequate.

- The Witch: (2016, Eggers), Not a huge following and for some a frustrating watch but I personally very much enjoyed it.

- Mandy: (2018, Cosmatos), a truly bizarre flik from the director of "Beyond The Black Rainbow" that actually enjoyed a lot of hype, as it saw Nicolas let outta the Cage for an enjoyable romp.

- Midsommar: (2020, Aster), received a great deal of praise (not from me) but there's many who did enjoy it.

- The Void: (2017, Gillespie), I found very entertaining. It has a few faults but over all I think it's a fun ride.

- Heraditary: (2018, Aster), Not the first film I reach for, for a good spook but it is noteworthy to those who enjoy the type and style.

- Get Out: (2017, Peele), I quite enjoyed this, as it had a unique premise that has not been explored in quite some time.

- The Witch; Subversion [Pt-1]: (2019, Korean, Park), Only part 1 has been released so far but I found it very engaging and tense.

- The Babadook: (2015, Kent) another relatively low key film that eventually received glowing praise. More of a human drama than horror but I still enjoyed it.

- It Follows: (2015, Mitchell) I think many that saw this little gem were extremely pleased with it. I was.

- The Woman In Black: (2012, Watkins), lovely supernatural cottage fare from the UK. Sequel is not as good but worth a watch. The '89 TV movie is also excellent.

Okay, I could go on for some time but there's a few that folks may find interest in. 🙂

• Like 4

@Grendel @Bones

for me as far as scratching my modern horror it has been going internationally. 

THE WAILING Is one of the best horror movies I've ever seen let alone modern horror. 

South Korea has been killing it as well with flix like The Kingdom, Monstrous, and train to Busan. 

I'll also mention I just watched SPUTNIK from Russia and I really really enjoyed it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Grendel said:

The Wailing: (2016, Hong-Jin) a Korean film that provides an excellent display of Eastern theology and mythology. It received a beautiful release from Kimchi that sadly is sold out but for a quick and easy pick-up, the NA 'WellGo' release is adequate

I picked this up on the bay, the lenti. After watching it on Amazon prime I had to get it! And it is one of the most well made premiums I have in my collection, every detail of every piece of it is perfection.

• Like 3

I mentioned in another thread that when I was young the first 3 horror movies I watched and remember as a kid were the Island of DR Moreau (1977 not the brando one), Horror Express and Humanoids

from the deep. From there it grew. I fell in love with The Thing (I still watch anything Kurt Russel is in, even if its a santa clause movie) and all things Sci-Fi/Horror. My Dad and I would constantly go to the

movies and watch just about anything Action and Sci-Fi as he didn't care for the horror flicks. As I got older I discovered a little magazine called fangoria and dove into the F/X aspect of the genre. My

wonderful Mother would take me to the horror conventions so I could meet my childhood heroes like Freddy, Jason, Leatherface and Linda Blair. Then I went to high school, discovered girls and found

something new. Now as a father I like to share the movies I loved as a kid with my own children and see how they take to them. Our son is 18 and took to Sci-Fi and Fantasy, our daughter who is 12 took to

horror and our youngest daughter who is 6 is a little up in the air and hasn't decided yet. Although she loves Scooby Doo the og gateway horror in my opinion. 

To me all things scary are fun from page to screen and all things in between and the best time of year is when the leaves turn orange, there is a crispness in the air and Ghosts, Goblins and Ghouls are

prowling the streets looking for candy.

fangs GIF

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Grendel said:

I can certainly relate to your thoughts regarding more recent horror fare @Bones.

There has been some excellent ones, though often they get overshadowed by the assembly line of sequels, remakes, re-imaginings and reboots.

Often it's chalked up to the laziness of Hollywood to provide new and innovative subjects but I suspect it also has to do with their group-think mentality of "well, it worked once, let's crank out another and make some quick money".

I've kept eye on some studios outside the Hollywood thoroughfare and have been pleasantly surprised by a number of films that don't quite get the recognition or press that the larger American studios enjoy.

To name a few;

- The Wailing: (2016, Hong-Jin) a Korean film that provides an excellent display of Eastern theology and mythology. It received a beautiful release from Kimchi that sadly is sold out but for a quick and easy pick-up, the NA 'WellGo' release is adequate.  

- The Witch: (2016, Eggers), Not a huge following and for some a frustrating watch but I personally very much enjoyed it.

- Mandy: (2018, Cosmatos), a truly bizarre flik from the director of "Beyond The Black Rainbow" that actually enjoyed a lot of hype, as it saw Nicolas let outta the Cage for an enjoyable romp.

- Midsommar: (2020, Aster), received a great deal of praise (not from me) but there's many who did enjoy it.

- The Void: (2017, Gillespie), I found very entertaining. It has a few faults but over all I think it's a fun ride.

- Heraditary: (2018, Aster), Not the first film I reach for, for a good spook but it is noteworthy to those who enjoy the type and style.

- Get Out: (2017, Peele), I quite enjoyed this, as it had a unique premise that has not been explored in quite some time.

- The Witch; Subversion [Pt-1]: (2019, Korean, Park), Only part 1 has been released so far but I found it very engaging and tense.

- The Babadook: (2015, Kent) another relatively low key film that eventually received glowing praise. More of a human drama than horror but I still enjoyed it.

- It Follows: (2015, Mitchell) I think many that saw this little gem were extremely pleased with it. I was.

- The Woman In Black: (2012, Watkins), lovely supernatural cottage fare from the UK. Sequel is not as good but worth a watch. The '89 TV movie is also excellent.

Okay, I could go on for some time but there's a few that folks may find interest in. 🙂

@Grendel Everything on your list that I have seen has been fantastic. I especially liked Heraditary, the Witch and It follows. Unfortunately I have not seen the following yet: Mandy, Midsomer, The babadook and the witch: subversion. Also it looks like I will be adding Sputnick to that list as well. All these will be after I watch Island of Lost Souls of course!

• Like 3

Spoiler
37 minutes ago, xSNAKExPLISSKENx said:

I have not, let us know your final verdict.

Conjuring is one of my favorite modern flix, and honestly I think number 2 is my favorite of the 2, hope 3 is on par. As far as the universe goes non of them really got me. Didn't like Annabelle or the nun.

Just finished this and I’m not much for gore, however I enjoyed the strange/haunting ol’ school vibe from this it gets the Veum’s 👍 and 5 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬 Rating... WARNING it probably will not be everyone’s ‘cup of tea’ as I have broadened out more my tastes have become, well shall I say eclectic to say the least mouhahaha

PLEASANT NIGHTMARES my children of the night 👁️

skeleton terrifying GIF Scared Seinfeld GIF by HULU

• Like 3

Great choices @xSNAKExPLISSKENx  😀

I too am looking forward to Sputnik. Looks to be a very suspenseful and taut experience!

I'm also a fan of the horror and fantasy provided by South Korea over the last few years.

I addition to the excellent titles you mentioned,

A few that you may enjoy include;

- Rampant: (2018, Kim) medeival Korean warriors vs zombies on meth. A pretty wild and engaging ride.

- Gonjiam (aka Haunted Asylum): (2018, Jeong) Korean ghost hunters find some, in an abandoned insane asylum.

- The Mimic: (2017, Jung Huh) Korean flik about a shapeshifter that takes the form of a families daughter lost in the woods.

- Noroi (aka The Curse): (2005, Shiraishi) Japanese flik similar in nature to "Ju-On" about a very pissed off demon. It is a found footage flik though so, yeah, be warned.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, xSNAKExPLISSKENx said:

Se7en is one of my ALL TIME FAV MOVIES! I agree that it is more of a thriller but it has more than enough horror elements in it to call it a horror thriller. Amazing movie.

@xSNAKExPLISSKENx Se7en just happens to be my favorite flick period. Not that Ive seen it more than say Jaws, Aliens, Big trouble in little china or the thing ( the others in my top 5) but there was a different feeling walking out of that flick. Saw it in the theaters not knowing anything about it other than being a serial killer movie and was just blown away by everything in it. The lead cast, the opening credits, the end credits, the minimal score everything just hit me at the exact right time to make it to the top of my list. Unfortunately I wasnt collecting when the one click from manta labs was released and now its a bit up there but I have the single lenti on the way and I'm hoping that someone does a nice 4K release. 

200.gif

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, xSNAKExPLISSKENx said:

feel like quiet place should have just released on VOD

I would have been good with that. After checking whats coming out im also excited for halloween kills, train to bussan 2 and conjuring 3. Im optimistic about candyman and antebellum (didnt know it was considered horror)

• Like 2