IGNORED

Plisskens House of Horror

xSNAKExPLISSKENx

Starting a new thread here I hope takes off. Just a little house on a hill where we can discuss all things Horror.

I'll start things off, I just watched the first episode of Lovecraft country and let me tell you, i thought this series started off phenomenally. Honestly I'm worried the rest of the series is going to live up to the bar I believe they set with episode one.

Also, would be fun if anyone new to the thread introduced themselves with 3 of their favorite horror flix.

For me, im xSNAKExPLISSKENx a few know me by my name Conor. 3 of my fans would have to be

- Alien

- Evil Dead

- The Thing 

Hard to pick 3 on the spot, and I created this LOL.

Let's hear what you got psychos!

acf67a18beed6f02de4b66d236654312.gif.51ac33689d90474cda7a5e4ba667ea4a.gif

At some point I may tag some folks who may be interested un this thread but for now keep it lively tag who ypu want and have fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ll introduce myself as an Ol’ school horror fan from decades ago... my mom started us out in the era of Sammy Terry, who was a local horror host w/some light comedy thrown in... check my sig w/these words

" In the dead of night, when the moon is high, and the ill winds blow, and the banshees cry, and the moonlight casts an unearthly glow...

arise my love, with tales of woe!"

My top 3 horror is:

1. Universal Classic Monsters

2. The Exorcist

3. Psycho

There are too many to name after these 3 that I enjoy!🧛‍♂️

Pleasant nightmares... mouhahaha

• Like 4

Im Bones and Im a new Psycho that was raised on 80’s horror.  I agree with you guys, picking 3 is tough but ill do these:

1. The Exorcist (i would pick Se7en but i think its more of a thriller). 

2. The Thing

3. Halloween (1978, but I loved 2018 as well)

Anyways thanks for starting this thread @xSNAKExPLISSKENx!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Bones said:

Im Bones and Im a new Psycho that was raised on 80’s horror.  I agree with you guys, picking 3 is tough but ill do these:

1. The Exorcist (i would pick Se7en but i think its more of a thriller). 

2. The Thing

3. Halloween (1978, but I loved 2018 as well)

Anyways thanks for starting this thread @xSNAKExPLISSKENx!

Se7en is one of my ALL TIME FAV MOVIES! I agree that it is more of a thriller but it has more than enough horror elements in it to call it a horror thriller. Amazing movie.

I loved the original Halloween as well, despite slasher horror being low on my list of favs. I'm more of a monster guy so my favorite slasher series is nightmare on elm st. (Minus the god awful remake). 

Thanks for joining the party :)

• Like 4

Hello Conor

Hollywood E Rock here, the E stands for Edward & I to am a Horror lover! I really don’t remember what age I was when I was introduced to the genre but what I can tell you is that I was very young, 4 or 5 probably. I remember my mother sitting me down once, & explaining to me that movies where just for our entertainment & that none of it was real.

Well I had to been pretty young when she told me this, because it slipped my mind, & I remember being blown away when I saw Jamie Lee Curtis in Trading Places. I remember saying “Hey that’s Laurie! She’s okay!” My young mind assumed after the events in both Halloween movies it was no way she was okay, & normal. My mother tickled by my reaction said “remember I told you movies aren’t real, they are made for our enjoyment & she is an actress, & absolutely just fine.” Well after that I completely understood what she meant & those are my oldest memories with experiencing Horror movies.

Growing up Slashers was probably what I viewed the most, The franchises of Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare of Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw was viewed often in my house, Before they passed away my Grandmother & Uncle would talk about how dumb the characters was so much that the movies basically was dark comedies to me. As a kid I never was afraid of these movies because my Grandmother & Uncle never took them serious. They was so silly with their jokes that I never could completely get lost in the horror. That was until It & Candyman that is.

I don’t completely know why, but 1990’s It & Candyman had me legitimately spooked! Anytime we watched those movies I would definitely go to bed with my cardboard cutout Sword & gun, because I wasn’t going to get got by anyone of those guys 😂. I knew they was fake, but just in case my mother was wrong, I was ready 🤣! Well years later & many more horror movies watched & enjoyed for better or for worse this genre remains apart of my favorites to view.

Top 3 that comes to mind in this very moment is

1. Halloween (1978) & it’s sequel in (1981)

2. The Return of the Living Dead (1985)

3. The Lost Boys (1987)

Bonus is Candyman & It (1990) because they really scared the hell out of me as a child.

• Like 6

Spoiler
19 minutes ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

Hello Conor

Hollywood E Rock here, the E stands for Edward & I to am a Horror lover! I really don’t remember what age I was when I was introduced to the genre but what I can tell you is that I was very young, 4 or 5 probably. I remember my mother sitting me down once, & explaining to me that movies where just for our entertainment & that none of it was real.

Well I had to been pretty young when she told me this, because it slipped my mind, & I remember being blown away when I saw Jamie Lee Curtis in Trading Places. I remember saying “Hey that’s Laurie! She’s okay!” My young mind assumed after the events in both Halloween movies it was no way she was okay, & normal. My mother tickled by my reaction said “remember I told you movies aren’t real, they are made for our enjoyment & she is an actress, & absolutely just fine.” Well after that I completely understood what she meant & those are my oldest memories with experiencing Horror movies.

Growing up Slashers was probably what I viewed the most, The franchises of Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare of Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw was viewed often in my house, Before they passed away my Grandmother & Uncle would talk about how dumb the characters was so much that the movies basically was dark comedies to me. As a kid I never was afraid of these movies because my Grandmother & Uncle never took them serious. They was so silly with their jokes that I never could completely get lost in the horror. That was until It & Candyman that is.

I don’t completely know why, but 1990’s It & Candyman had me legitimately spooked! Anytime we watched those movies I would definitely go to bed with my cardboard cutout Sword & gun, because I wasn’t going to get got by anyone of those guys 😂. I knew they was fake, but just in case my mother was wrong, I was ready 🤣! Well years later & many more horror movies watched & enjoyed for better or for worse this genre remains apart of my favorites to view.

Top 3 that comes to mind in this very moment is

1. Halloween (1978) & it’s sequel in (1981)

2. The Return of the Living Dead (1985)

3. The Lost Boys (1987)

Bonus is Candyman & It (1990) because they really scared the hell out of me as a child.

Shame on you @Hollywood E Rock you didn’t even mention your fav BLADE...

bad girl shame on you GIF

• Haha 4

Wow, fantastic introduction @Hollywood E Rock.

And a pleasure to meet you Edward (the name behind the avatar that is)

Return of the living dead is such a classic, especially because I was heavily into the punk scene in my youth so it resonated with me.

Funny fact, I believe candyman is one of the first horror movies I ever saw. At a family get together my uncle was watching it in his basement room one evening, i must have been around 5, i snuck in and watched from behind the couch. As he tells it, he noticed me instantly. But about every 5-10 minutes he noticed I was closer and closer till I was in his lap asking ridiculous questions like "who's blood is that? Whats he doing to her?" LOL.

He was honestly my gateway to horror in many ways. I also watched exorcist with him at a young age and that film stuck with me for a while. My room was a basement room and at night for a long time I pictured the scene of her spiderwalking down the stairs in my head trying to sleep. I can still here that creepy crawling piano in my head to the day.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Veum said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Shame on you @Hollywood E Rock you didn’t even mention your fav BLADE...

bad girl shame on you GIF

If the conversation was about just Vampires or Comic Book superheroes then I would definitely have mentioned him. He is tops on those lists for me, but his movies are down further on my strictly Horror genre list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

If the conversation was about just Vampires or Comic Book superheroes then I would definitely have mentioned him. He is tops on those lists for me, but his movies are down further on my strictly Horror genre list.

I'm really anxious to see any news of the blade reboot, I'll say yes let's keep it horror based but I don't think blade is far off topic. Especially because vampires are very much on topic. I'd say Constantine gets close as well.

Vampires never really sank with me, i love lost boys. I also love John carpenters vampires. But I think one the closest to my style would be 30days of night. That movie was something else. The flyover scene with the chaos in the snowy streets is a favorite scene of mine to date.

Other than that, I haven't found a vampire flick that really stands out to me as a contender for top horror in my personal book.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, xSNAKExPLISSKENx said:

Wow, fantastic introduction @Hollywood E Rock.

And a pleasure to meet you Edward (the name behind the avatar that is)

Return of the living dead is such a classic, especially because I was heavily into the punk scene in my youth so it resonated with me.

Funny fact, I believe candyman is one of the first horror movies I ever saw. At a family get together my uncle was watching it in his basement room one evening, i must have been around 5, i snuck in and watched from behind the couch. As he tells it, he noticed me instantly. But about every 5-10 minutes he noticed I was closer and closer till I was in his lap asking ridiculous questions like "who's blood is that? Whats he doing to her?" LOL.

He was honestly my gateway to horror in many ways. I also watched exorcist with him at a young age and that film stuck with me for a while. My room was a basement room and at night for a long time I pictured the scene of her spiderwalking down the stairs in my head trying to sleep. I can still here that creepy crawling piano in my head to the day.

😀 It’s good to be even more acquainted with you as well, & it’s cool we both have beginning Horror memories with our Uncle’s. When we lived together it was my Uncle who had the basement room, I’m pretty sure it was his influence on me that later had me choose the basement as my room once my mom got our own home. The basement is the perfect setting for Horror movies, get you a nice comfortable couch at the right viewing angle to the Television & it’s a party!

4 minutes ago, xSNAKExPLISSKENx said:

I'm really anxious to see any news of the blade reboot, I'll say yes let's keep it horror based but I don't think blade is far off topic. Especially because vampires are very much on topic. I'd say Constantine gets close as well.

Vampires never really sank with me, i love lost boys. I also love John carpenters vampires. But I think one the closest to my style would be 30days of night. That movie was something else. The flyover scene with the chaos in the snowy streets is a favorite scene of mine to date.

Other than that, I haven't found a vampire flick that really stands out to me as a contender for top horror in my personal book.

I’m very excited about what’s to come from Blade! I was really hoping that Wesley Snipes could reprise the role, because he was so good, but I’m very satisfied with Mahershala Ali being given the role. From watching him in other films I believe he has what it takes to bring us a very cool version of Blade. 

I agree with you that it definitely should stay horror based, the character of Blade is a big opportunity for Marvel Studios to showcase a movie that can exist in the bigger universe while also not exactly matching the tone of the other films. The comic books are some time all over the place, but they have always managed to have different tones for different titles & make you feel as a reader that everything is magically happening in the same universe. I do believe with the right care the movies can do the same.

Vampire movies may not have sank with you because despite the lore being very interesting & very vast there are I believe more bad movies than good featuring them. Now me personally I love vampires so much that a few of those bad movies I enjoy, but I can admit that they’re bad even though I enjoy them.

30 Days of night is definitely one of the vampire movies I’m always recommending to film fans who are not into vampire movies. It’s with out a doubt one of the better produce ones. I would also recommend one called Stake Land (2010) it’s basically a zombie apocalypse movie with vampires. Me & my sister (who is also a horror fan) watched it a few Halloween’s ago & now it’s apart of our rewatch list of films. There is a sequel but I haven’t watched it yet to know if it’s any good.

• Like 3

Spoiler
39 minutes ago, xSNAKExPLISSKENx said:

Well we are getting a lot of peeps put into the shame corner aren’t we...

despicable me penny GIF

...blasphemous saying Vampires aren’t horror, you deserve a stake today 🧛‍♂️

image.gif.d97bcda007bd43060d47bc75672d4d74.gif

There are plenty of Vampire 🧛‍♂️ 🧛‍♀️  films that are so enjoyable, for example...

House of Dark Shadows (1970)

Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)

Let the Right One In (2008)

Nosferatu (1922)

Dracula (1931)

Count Dracula (1977)

Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966)

Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1969)

The Vampire Lovers (1970)

Kiss of the Damned (2013)

Spoiler

Dracula’s Daughter (1936)

Vampire Circus (1972)

Nosferatu The Vampyre (1979)

Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992)

Dracula (1958)

Dracula (2020) 

Dracula (1979)

Dracula (1973)

Near Dark (1987)

Daughters of Darkness (1971)

Interview with a Vampire (1994)

Fright Night (1985)

Black Sunday (1960)

Horror of Dracula (1958)

Vampire Hunter D (1985)

Let Me In (2010)

Salem’s Lot (1979)

Fright Night (2011)

The Night Stalker (1971)

Vampire Hunter: Bloodlust (2001)DARKNESS

(LES LÈVRES ROUGES) (1971) 

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Veum

Yea, they arent my fav sub genre.

That said im very happy to see you added Near Dark to that list! What an amazing movie. Complete with most of the cast of terminator and aliens alumni how could you go wrong.

"The last thing you are gonna hear on your way to hell, gonna be your guts snappin' like a bull whip"

• Like 3

@Hollywood E Rock

I agree I think there are so many bad ones that really taint the genre for me.

I think he was an excellent cast for blade, i can easily see blade in his roll in Alita. 

I never got into the blade comics, any recommendations? I love graphic novels and I collect and have a very large hardcover and omnibus collection. One of my all time favorite comic series and coincidentally is a vampire story is American Vampire by Scott Snyder. That and Hellboy which are some of the best stories and art ever written, all mignola does is pull from folklore and horror stories from every culture in the world.

• Like 3

When i get home and off of mobile im going to take inspiration from @Hollywood E Rock and relate my introduction to horror. With that said I absolutely had to chime in on the vampire topic. I am so happy to see Near Dark, Fright Night, 30 Days of night and JC’s Vampires on here. Those are some of my favorite vampire flicks of all time and its so cool find like minded individuals that think the same! As a dad to 3 kids ive used fright night to be an introduction to horror over the years to my 2 oldest. 

• Like 3

Good Evening my friends;  🙂

A lovely thread to get the blood flowing @xSNAKExPLISSKENx ! Ta!

I was lurking around the corner, taking a peek in here to discover what wonderful films folks were mentioning and I certainly have strong appreciation for all the ones discussed.

I. like most, have a difficult time selecting stand out fliks to populate a short selection. Especially with so many wonderful films over the decades that have thrilled me.

To simplify my choices, I usually try to categorize Sci-Fi , Horror, and Dark Fantasy uniquely.

Sci-Fi; has of course, a variety of incredible monsters in it, such as The Alien Xenomorph, The Predator Alien, heh, even Godzilla.

Horror; to me is usually of a human nature, be it esteemed slashers such as Halloween, Friday The 13th, Nightmare On Elm Street or more perverse films such as Saw, Hostel, et al...

Dark Fantasy; with predominantly a supernatural bent, is the category that enthralls me most and the ones I'll focus on for the purpose of this thread, as gauging by @xSNAKExPLISSKENx 's considerations, the type I think most have interest in here.

So, with gun to head, my three choices would be;

- The Exorcist:   I was fortunate in catching this iconic film in theatre prior to the avalanche of publicity it ultimately received. Raised a hard-core Roman Catholic, it was easy for me to become absorbed in the plot and dumbfounded by the effective use of mood and sedate effects that assuredly gave me lots to think about. It still holds the crown as my fave film of all time. Exorcist III was excellent as well (we do not talk about Exorcist II). Similarly themed films (The Omen, Rosemary's Baby, Blood On Satan's Claw, others) I have a great deal of time for and enjoy very much as well.

- Suspiria: The 1977 Argento original. A very effective and terrifying descent into the intricacies of a Witches Coven. The style, the effective use of colour as a mood altering exploit, the incredible music by esteemed group "Goblin" all harmonizes for me into a chilling masterpiece. The remake is good, on its' own terms but not of equal calibre in my book. I have since been fortunate in tracking down a host of similarly themed films (Witchcraft) but this one opened the door for me.

- Dracula: (1931 Lugosi). Perhaps a bit stodgy and placid by today's standards but as a young lad first discovering the incredible worlds of Dark Fantasy on film for the first time, most assuredly the gateway drug that formed my appreciation for the genre in the first place. Some of you have mentioned other vampire films of outstanding merit, that I certainly adore as well.

All the ones I've mentioned here and a significant amount of others that assuage my soul's darker leanings, I've included in my collection threads;

"Grendel's Lair" and "Grendel's Deep Dungeon". 🥰

Thanks again for the Thread @xSNAKExPLISSKENx  😀

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 3

Hi guys 

I can't sleep, i saw the light so i went in

Firts off, i'm not a big fan of horror movies like slashers, jumpscare's movies etc 

So i'm going to widen the category a bit more and integrate Psycho and The Shining wich are in my top 3 but i do not really consider like horror movies in the true sense of word imo 

and as i can't decide between Alien and The Thing 

You'll understand it's not a top 3 but 4 for me 

Anyway thanks for the thread @xSNAKExPLISSKENx, i'll follow it and write down your recommendations if i want to shiver one night

On that note, i wish you north american friends a good day/night 

• Like 3

What is everyone’s take on modern horror? While I've enjoyed the 2 conjuring movies, hereditary, a quiet place, the it movies, dr sleep and bone tomahawk (although the last one may as well be considered a western, I'm a sucker for a russel mustache and that ending) there hasnt been a ton that I've been super excited about. Maybe i wear rose colored nostalgia glasses, but a lot of the new stuff seems either really tame or over the top mean. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Bones said:

What is everyone’s take on modern horror? While I've enjoyed the 2 conjuring movies, hereditary, a quiet place, the it movies, dr sleep and bone tomahawk (although the last one may as well be considered a western, I'm a sucker for a russel mustache and that ending) there hasnt been a ton that I've been super excited about. Maybe i wear rose colored nostalgia glasses, but a lot of the new stuff seems either really tame or over the top mean. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places?

I love The Conjuring series...

Popped in this flik a few minutes ago, blind buy/watch for me & it’s been pretty creepy so far...

... anyone seen it?🤔

THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY

image.jpeg.d26ddc038316650cf296e3f09852a749.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bones said:

When i get home and off of mobile im going to take inspiration from @Hollywood E Rock and relate my introduction to horror. With that said I absolutely had to chime in on the vampire topic. I am so happy to see Near Dark, Fright Night, 30 Days of night and JC’s Vampires on here. Those are some of my favorite vampire flicks of all time and its so cool find like minded individuals that think the same! As a dad to 3 kids ive used fright night to be an introduction to horror over the years to my 2 oldest. 

Thats awesome, I have a 3 yr old that loves all things monsters and Halloween, can't wait to share my love of the genre when he's older. He's already completely unphased by some "scary" stuff a la jurassic park, dark crystal ect.

• Like 3

@Grendel thanks for joining my friend, ill be tagging people little by little as time goes by to lure in others.

I love your choices, especially exorcist and Dracula. I just read they are planning on a reboot of sorts for the exorcist next year.. Hopefullybthey do it justice and do not rush the movie both production and pace of the film itself. I love a good slow burn horror.

Also, please and this goes to everyone. this thread is for ALL things horror. MOVIES, TV, BOOKS, ART, COMICS, GAMES and all sub genres in between! Horror is a vast subject and im looking forward to discussing all its wonderful intricacies with you all.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, romain said:

Hi guys 

I can't sleep, i saw the light so i went in

Firts off, i'm not a big fan of horror movies like slashers, jumpscare's movies etc 

So i'm going to widen the category a bit more and integrate Psycho and The Shining wich are in my top 3 but i do not really consider like horror movies in the true sense of word imo 

and as i can't decide between Alien and The Thing 

You'll understand it's not a top 3 but 4 for me 

Anyway thanks for the thread @xSNAKExPLISSKENx, i'll follow it and write down your recommendations if i want to shiver one night

On that note, i wish you north american friends a good day/night 

Those are absolutely horror films in my book my friend, thanks for joining this little underbelly of MP I have created. 

As I said above this thread is for all things horror, all sub genres and all mediums.

I also am a big fan of the classics, i think jump scares are a big modern horror trope that most of the time are only used when the filmmakers lack true imagination.

• Like 4