Basil

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

IMG_0476.thumb.jpeg.b4f56bfb525be0c356bf9ffcea3c2439.jpeg

Watched the first two seasons a long time ago, just watched first 2 episodes of season 3.  So far so good.  Hope I can stick with it, have a giant stack of movies that I also need to watch.

Sooo gooood! Love this show. Reminds me, I need to check out Gen V once I finish the second season of Reacher. Have fun!

• Like 3

On 1/19/2024 at 10:38 AM, hansreinhardt said:

BonyZ4taymxrfBiRqY6K42NBh0jsop_large.thumb.jpg.c57b111cc6c085db9228b7d7c4e6eae2.jpg

Gave 1984 a spin last night. Was a little down in the dumps yesterday so this was honestly a poor choice of film to watch 😆 But, a great movie nonetheless. John Hurt turned in a wonderful performance, which surprisingly evoked hints of John Merrick at times (albeit sans the Elephant Man makeup).

Loved Deakins' visual aesthetic in this, and the set design was wonderfully bleak. I wonder where they filmed the exteriors, the location is absolutely war-torn.

Does anyone have a score preference for this film? I wonder which is the better experience. I watched it with the Eurythmics score, which is what the Criterion BD defaulted to. Reading into it, I got the sense that director Michael Radford preferred the Dominic Muldowney score, so I'd like to watch it again to hear the difference. 

UPDATE: Forgot to mention, I finally know now what the inspiration was behind that episode of TNG where Picard is tortured by the Cardassians and made to believe there are five lights instead of four. 

four lights GIF

I LOOOOOOVE this movie so much! Deakins is my favorite Cinematographer, and his work in this is phenomenal. John Hurt was so good in this. Being my favorite book, I personally feel this movie did a great job adapting it for the big screen.

• Like 2

Awards

1 hour ago, Nadam said:

I LOOOOOOVE this movie so much! Deakins is my favorite Cinematographer, and his work in this is phenomenal. John Hurt was so good in this. Being my favorite book, I personally feel this movie did a great job adapting it for the big screen.

Hurt is always great.  Every time I see him now, though, I hear his version of Danny Boy in my head:

Recently rewatched his Tinker, Tailor performance too.  He’s one of those guys, like Tom Waits or Harry Dean Stanton, that seemed 55 years old when he was 30.  Like he’d already been around the block a thousand times when he was born.  Maybe the common denominator is lots of cigarettes :) 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nadam said:

Oh, and the last time I watched this was 8 or 9 years ago, and I’ve never had any idea that was Deakins (who is, in fact, a god among men).  That dude has been working nonstop forever.  

• Like 3

it was interesting to see kevin hart take on a slightly more serious role. I'm so used to him cracking jokes every few minutes throughout whatever movie he happens to be apart of. while there is humor it wasn't the onslaught of constant comedy by him. it won't blow your socks off pretty much cut and paste heist film with a team of gifted individuals using certain skills but still a good popcorn flick.

sxpra.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hansreinhardt said:

I've only seen Theatrical so far, going to check out Redux next. Glad to hear good things about The Final Cut!

Theatrical is great. Redux gets a lot of hate because it adds a lot of extra boring scenes that (to me) kill the flow. Final Cut leaves some of the good extra scenes and feels like a fantastic balance between the two main versions. 

• Like 5

Awards

1 hour ago, Gary K said:

I agree that Final Cut is the way to go.  Redux is really too long and certainly drags.   

Thirded.  I’m glad to have seen Redux, it’s cool to see some of that stuff if you love the movie and have already seen it a few times, but I wouldn’t recommend to anyone watching for the first time.

• Like 4

🥤 🍿 🎬 📀

National Popcorn Day GIF by Angry Birds

Run All Night / Unknown (Blu-ray)

Run All Night 

️ 

Excellent Liam crime drama (beautifully written with excellent cinematography) as he is an Brooklyn mobster & an aging hitman that tries to help his son & family escape his brutal boss after… and needs help from an honest detective to… with a great cast of Joel Kinnaman, Ed Harris, Holt McCallany, Vincent D’Onofrio, Nick Nolte, Bruce McGill, Common! Highly Recommend!!

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

Was curious about this one. Excited to hear what you think! 

Based on how much hype was around this film and how bad my Wife wanted to watch it, I was extremely excited to see this. Now, the concept of the film is really cool, and the storyline is incredibly fascinating, so for the most part the film is good. With all of that said, I do feel certain main characters were not good, and came off cliché. They felt like typical stupid kids who did stupid things just because, and didn't really feel unique or original. Alas, that could just be me nitpicking, but outside of the unoriginal characters (IMO), I feel that this movie was an excellent 7/10. Nothing great, but definitely nothing bad -- an original and creative story concept plagued by unoriginal characters. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★
15 minutes ago, Nadam said:

Based on how much hype was around this film and how bad my Wife wanted to watch it, I was extremely excited to see this. Now, the concept of the film is really cool, and the storyline is incredibly fascinating, so for the most part the film is good. With all of that said, I do feel certain main characters were not good, and came off cliché. They felt like typical stupid kids who did stupid things just because, and didn't really feel unique or original. Alas, that could just be me nitpicking, but outside of the unoriginal characters (IMO), I feel that this movie was an excellent 7/10. Nothing great, but definitely nothing bad -- an original and creative story concept plagued by unoriginal characters. 

How do you think it compares to It Follows and Smile?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Nadam said:

Thank you for the excellent review! It’s funny, a good friend of mine just texted me this morning saying “you’ve got to watch Talk To Me”

• Like 4

🥤 🍿 🎬 📀

National Popcorn Day GIF by Angry Birds

Run All Night / Unknown (Blu-ray)

UNKNOWN

1/2

A mysterious convoluted type of film with Liam supposedly being a professor Martin meeting for a Bio conference in Germany with his wife (January Jones) but he forgets his briefcase and gets in a cab (Diane Kruger) to retrieve it however he has a wreck in a cab and ends up in a coma and when he comes out of the coma he does not know who he is… he finds out eventually that he is a…

The Accountant 4K (Blu-ray)

️ 

Christian “Chris” Wolff (Ben Affleck) who has a form of autism from his childhood is trained through his father who was military to overcome his fears to stand up for himself and later becomes this phenomenal mathematician who gets recognized as a top financial investigator who is available for special assignments. 

In a highly complex web of assignments with High-profile clients that contact him through an anonymous female handler and with his exceptional martial arts skills and his proficient sharp-shooting runs us through his… 

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

On 1/26/2024 at 9:10 PM, Gary K said:

How do you think it compares to It Follows and Smile?

I know I will probably be shunned for saying this, but I have not seen "It Follows". I plan on watching it soon, as I have heard remarkable things. In regards to "Smile", I feel THAT was a fantastic film compared to "Talk To Me", but that isn't saying that TTM is bad. With having more time to process things, I just feel the clout-chasing trope in modern day horror films is way overdone, and (to me) leads to a sense of unoriginality. That seems to be where my concern is with TTM, as I have seen it plenty of times before, but I do want to emphasize how incredibly creative the story and concept are, as that is where this film really shines.

• Like 4

Awards

3 minutes ago, Nadam said:

I know I will probably be shunned for saying this, but I have not seen "It Follows". I plan on watching it soon, as I have heard remarkable things. In regards to "Smile", I feel THAT was a fantastic film compared to "Talk To Me", but that isn't saying that TTM is bad. With having more time to process things, I just feel the clout-chasing trope in modern day horror films is way overdone, and (to me) leads to a sense of unoriginality. That seems to be where my concern is with TTM, as I have seen it plenty of times before, but I do want to emphasize how incredibly creative the story and concept are, as that is where this film really shines.

Haven’t seen It Follows yet either. 😒 

• Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★
Just now, Nadam said:

Would never shun you but you should see "It Follows" ASAP.  It's phenomenal.

I'm a bit surprised that you found Smile more original than Talk to Me.  Perhaps I'm not fully understanding your criticism (such as it is) of TTM.  I agree the whole "elevated" horror nonsense is exhausting and I'm not even sure TTM would consider itself part of that misbegotten sub-genre.  I don't fully know what you mean by "unoriginal" yet "creative" with respect to TTM.  Not arguing with you - just trying to fully understand the observations you trying to communicate.  Personally, I really liked the premise of TTM and thought the ending sequence was incredibly brave and well done.  

did think it shared some story DNA with Smile (and It Follows) hence my question.  As for Smile, I really enjoyed it, but I thought it tried a bit too hard to generate cheap jump scares.

• Like 4