IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Friday to everyone!

I have a question for you all.

Who here keeps track of your collection? Why/Why not? If you do then what do you use? What do you keep track of?

I've always had a mental figure in my head (especially on a month to month basis) as to what I have spent but, over the past several days, I've been going back through my orders and tallying up what I've spent on this hobby over the years.  It has been a bit of a slog but I'm finally nearing the end of the purchasing side of things. 

Anyway, I have a running total and I decided to take a peak before I went to bed last night and..

Oh My God Reaction GIF

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, Squeegie McGee said:

Well hello everyone!  Hope all is well with you guys! I haven't been on as much the past week or so due to being super busy with RL... I'll be around though lurking in the darkness behind @Veum's shadow... terrorize ya guys soon!

jungle spying GIF by VPRO

@Squeegie McGee your shadow will always be lurking you in the light mouhahaha 😂 

Scared Baby GIF

Darkness, I can’t see Veum’s shenanigans 😛 

dark darkness GIF

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Who here keeps track of your collection? Why/Why not? If you do then what do you use? What do you keep track of?

I've always had a mental figure in my head (especially on a month to month basis) as to what I have spent but, over the past several days, I've been going back through my orders and tallying up what I've spent on this hobby over the years.  It has been a bit of a slog but I'm finally nearing the end of the purchasing side of things. 

Anyway, I have a running total and I decided to take a peak before I went to bed last night and..

Oh My God Reaction GIF

@GuyIncognit0 pick yourself up, you call yourself a psycho 🤪

200.gif I Believe In You GIF by Bridge and Tunnel on EPIX

• Haha 4

• ★ Administrators ★
12 minutes ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Oh My God Reaction GIF

I keep a spreadsheet of all my purchases. It's hard to keep it updated though. Eventually I'll fill in any missing items.

I also have a credit card with 2% cash back dedicated just to this hobby, so tracking spending is easy!

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Oh My God Reaction GIF

Happy Friday to you as well!!

I try to keep track of purchases via an excel sheet, really only to be sure I don't but the same edition twice. Similar to @deckard99 I have a dedicated AMEX with cash back rewards I use for all purchases. I use bluray.com to keep track of the collection otherwise.

Excel.PNG

• Like 6

• ★ Administrators ★
34 minutes ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Oh My God Reaction GIF

I keep track of all items. I have a list for items that are still on order that also includes release dates and order price or anticipated GB price.

Then I have a list for my collection (simple excel) that keeps track of everything. Like name of the Item, Retailer, when I bought it and what the price was.

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, deckard99 said:

I keep a spreadsheet of all my purchases. It's hard to keep it updated though. Eventually I'll fill in any missing items.

I also have a credit card with 2% cash back dedicated just to this hobby, so tracking spending is easy!

24 minutes ago, defdan14 said:

Happy Friday to you as well!!

I try to keep track of purchases via an excel sheet, really only to be sure I don't but the same edition twice. Similar to @deckard99 I have a dedicated AMEX with cash back rewards I use for all purchases. I use bluray.com to keep track of the collection otherwise.

Now this is a great idea. I've been using my credit card with 1.5% back (and now I'm mentally removing 1.5% from my total 😂) but I use that card for most of our spending. I never thought about getting a dedicated card. I'll have to see what's out there now that will provide the best return. Thanks!

If only I got the eBay card a few years ago....I've spent quite a bit catching up on older releases. I definitely wish I found MP sooner!

You know what? Maybe MP should team up with Visa or Mastercard and offer a credit card 🤣

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Oh, trust me, I'm a psycho. I now have the proof! 

Make It Rain Money GIF 200.gif

My wife knows I've been doing this and has been afraid to ask and I've been afraid to tell 😂

But you mentioned 

but I'm finally nearing the end of the purchasing side of things. 

Is this so? 🤔 

Over It I Give Up GIF

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Oh My God Reaction GIF

tight firstly you fool never ever ever add up what you have spent over time, like all of it you will have a heart attack. xD 

i have a rough idea whats going thru as i can see money coming from my steelbook savings account.

but its all about budgeting well.

my solution

personally my way of dealing all of this seriously is a have a seperate savings account that my main back account dumps a monthly allowance whether i have anything on order or not same. each and every month.

this way you have any equal missing money each month and you dont miss it so bad.

as if you have like 5 gbs come in on one month in a peak but nothing following month.

so say 50 or 100 or 200 a month whatever you want to lose from your main account and can reasonably afford to loose and still pay the normal bills.

(unlike my friend veum who has not appeared to learnt this valuable lesson yet xD)

also backing this up i pay the bills for mp thru 2 credit cards both giving me 90 days interest free if paid in full on due dates of bills.

(this is where mike could improve by getting a second one 👍)

so the example is one card maybe on say end of oct due date and other maybe due in 2 weeks time.

i always pay on the one with the best longest date of interest free period first.

it helps stretch the bill coming in to a much longer period than just one card :D

when the due date comes in the cards are automatically paid in full from main bank account.

i always move money back from seperate savings account for a little bit over the CC bill value.

its all a bit long winded but this system works for me, i have a reserve sitting there to be tapped as needed and if i dont need it. its earning me money for when i do.

simples

basil :D

Think Outer Space GIF by NASA

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Basil said:

tight firstly you fool never ever ever add up what you have spent over time, like all of it you will have a heart attack. xD 

i have a rough idea whats going thru as i can see money coming from my steelbook savings account.

my solution

personally my way of dealing all of this seriously is a have a seperate savings account that my main back account dumps a monthly allowance whether i have anything on order or not same. each and every month.

this way you have any equal missing money each month and you dont miss it so bad.

as if you have like 5 gbs come in on one month in a peak but nothing following month.

so say 50 or 100 or 200 a month whatever you want to lose from your main account and can reasonably afford to loose and still pay the normal bills.

(unlike my friend veum who has not appeared to learnt this valuable lesson yet xD)

also backing this up i pay the bills for mp thru 2 credit cards both giving me 90 days interest free if paid in full on due dates of bills.

so the example is one card maybe on say end of oct due date and other maybe due in 2 weeks time.

i always pay on the one with the best longest date of interest free period first.

it helps stretch the bill coming in to a much longer period than just one card :D

when the due date comes in the cards are automatically paid in full from main bank account.

i always move money back from seperate savings account for a little bit over the CC bill value.

its all a bit long winded but this system works for me, i have a reserve sitting there to be tapped as needed and if i dont need it. its earning me money for when i do.

simples

Have I been CALLED OUT of context again 😂 

You Rang Hello GIF by The Addams Family

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Oh My God Reaction GIF

I keep a list via Excel of what I have, what I want, what I've ordered, and how much is the value of them.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Veum said:

But you mentioned 

Is this so? 🤔 

Over It I Give Up GIF

Ah, I see. I don't mean I'm done purchasing but that I'm done entering all that I have purchased into my spreadsheet. As opposed to logging what I have sold out of my collection.

BUT...I'd be lying if I said my purchasing decisions have not been affected by this endeavor. I would have grabbed that Jaws OC from the store the other day instead of just the lenti if I hadn't started this.

Mtv Leah Messer GIF by Teen Mom

• Like 4

2 hours ago, extantsrevenge said:

I keep track of all items. I have a list for items that are still on order that also includes release dates and order price or anticipated GB price.

Then I have a list for my collection (simple excel) that keeps track of everything. Like name of the Item, Retailer, when I bought it and what the price was.

This is my next step. I'm going to create a separate sheet that goes into more detail about my collection (what discs each edition contains, which ones I need to replace with 4k, etc). This will be the most up to date record of my collection and not include things I've sold. 

Then I'll probably add a third sheet for "in process" group buys. I've been doing a good job of keeping track of everything in my head but it definitely doesn't hurt to have it down somewhere!

59 minutes ago, Basil said:

my solution

simples

All great ideas! I been refusing to tally up all of it for a while now but two things have come up:

• I live in a hurricane-prone area and the collection has increased to a point where I probably should insure it.
  • My wife insisted 🤣

I haven't put myself in any kind of financial strain but I definitely should slow down for a bit (as I signed up for the Into the Spiderverse OC yesterday) just...because, ha. It sounds like you have a wonderful system!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

This is my next step. I'm going to create a separate sheet that goes into more detail about my collection (what discs each edition contains, which ones I need to replace with 4k, etc). This will be the most up to date record of my collection and not include things I've sold. 

Then I'll probably add a third sheet for "in process" group buys. I've been doing a good job of keeping track of everything in my head but it definitely doesn't hurt to have it down somewhere!

All great ideas! I been refusing to tally up all of it for a while now but two things have come up:

• I live in a hurricane-prone area and the collection has increased to a point where I probably should insure it.
  • My wife insisted 🤣

I haven't put myself in any kind of financial strain but I definitely should slow down for a bit (as I signed up for the Into the Spiderverse OC yesterday) just...because, ha. It sounds like you have a wonderful system!

if you have a dry basement you thought about warming it up a little and bookcases all around the walls might get you cheaper insurance and free the house upstairs.

perfect excuse to have media cave storage? xD 

plus get it past the wife xD 

Leonardo Dicaprio Kinda GIF

• Like 3