IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/31/2021 at 8:12 PM, Veum said:

This is for some of my UK/England lads @Basil @RileyLad @Pbsw23 @Robertm89 @DodgyDave @Hecko  @MoneySniper @Mac Hadfield & anyone I missed…

Been binge-watching some of your Cops reality shows i.e. The Force: Manchester/24 Hours in Police Custody & was wondering how did you avoid/escape the pitfalls of criminal activity in your upbringing by not getting involved in all the things I see, especially the youth doing wrong… there is a prolific amount of crime in car thefts, drug dealing, drunk driving, domestic violence, etc.? 🧐 

I’m was just curious in the good route you have taken (was it your good parents, good mates, girlfriends, sports, innocent hobbies, sightseeing, etc.???) & especially in your love of our hobby instead of the mischief I see on these shows!

I am in much the same boat as Basil. Growing up with both parents in a good neighbourhood and with friends in the same situation as myself. I always got good grades and I always obeyed & respected my elders….

…Then I started High school which of course meant more pupils from other neighbourhoods, a lot of which were poorer and many from broken homes. By the time I was 16 and leaving school, many of my new friends were (let’s call them) “scallywags” growing up without a father figure, and were easily led down the wrong path.

Whilst I remained to continue respecting my elders, I won’t lie, I did get up to more than my fair share of illegal behaviour and much like Basil, I had my fair share of “interactions” with the Police. I only ever got taken back to the local station once for a caution, following drunken behaviour during a World Cup after an England match. Ironically this one time was very innocent compared to other events I could recall.

Also like Basil, we also all had illegal mopeds & motor bikes and bizarrely, we also used to race then along a disused railway line! Must be an Englishman thing. 😂

Anyway, My grades were good enough to get me into college to study computer programming, but after 1 year I dropped out as I was more interested in partying. I guess you could say the company I had been keeping perhaps had a detrimental influence at that time of my life. 

At age 18 I then enrolled into another college to study music. This led to forming a band and touring the UK - We even won a band completion & were signed to an independent label. The band went on for 6 years before I quit to peruse other musical avenues which sadly never panned out. You can probably imagine the sort of antics that this kind of life brings… A lot more partying.

Fast forward to my mid 20’s, and I had quit the band, my Girlfriend of 5 years (Thought I’d marry her) left me and my now Legal bike at the time was written off in an accident (not my fault - I was stationary sat on it at the lights). It was at about this time that I realised it was perhaps time to grow up and join society.

Here we are many years later, and unbelievably I have a good job working in Finance of all things for an Insurance company. Never dreamt in a million years that this would be how I earn my money, but life’s funny like that.

I now consider myself to be a kind and caring Gentleman with emphasis on manners. I lead a volunteering group working at a special needs school, and I always try to help others wherever I can. Would I change any of it? No way. Thanks to my younger years I am certainly street wise and comfortable enough whether I am talking to a group of youths on a street corner, or presenting to the senior leadership at work. These are clearly very different discussions utilising almost different languages with your vocabulary. My mate calls me a chameleon as he says I can mix and mingle with anyone and find common ground.

At the end of the day, I was certainly given a head start in life compared to so many, but I def took the rocky path to my adult life. My best mate was an easily led guy as a kid and comes from a single parent home, but he regularly reminds me of the times when I could sense something was going down that was just too much, and I would talk him out of it and the pair of us would walk away. Most of the time, we all encounter “bad situations” but it’s about being brave and standing up to others, not bowing to peer pressure.

Also, whether the you agree or not about the severity of a judicial system, the law is the law. Whilst some may say ours in the UK isn’t good enough, I would argue that others are too severe. We live on a tiny island and space is an issue with our jails for sure. I personally think our Police are brilliant overall. When I watch a US programme about your Police, they scare the sh*t out of me quite frankly, and not in a good deterrent way. They appear Almost military you know?

Edited by Pbsw23
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, Pbsw23 said:

I am in much the same boat as Basil. Growing up with both parents in a good neighbourhood and with friends in the same situation as myself. I always got good grades and I always obeyed & respected my elders….

…Then I started High school which of course meant more pupils from other neighbourhoods, a lot of which were poorer and many from broken homes. By the time I was 16 and leaving school, many of my new friends were (let’s call them) “scallywags” growing up without a father figure, and were easily led down the wrong path.

Whilst I remained to continue respecting my elders, I won’t lie, I did get up to more than my fair share of illegal behaviour and much like Basil, I had my fair share of “interactions” with the Police. I only ever got taken back to the local station once for a caution, following drunken behaviour during a World Cup after an England match. Ironically this one time was very innocent compared to other events I could recall.

Also like Basil, we also all had illegal mopeds & motor bikes and bizarrely, we also used to race then along a disused railway line! Must be an Englishman thing. 😂

Anyway, My grades were good enough to get me into college to study computer programming, but after 1 year I dropped out as I was more interested in partying. I guess you could say the company I had been keeping perhaps had a detrimental influence at that time of my life. 

At age 18 I then enrolled into another college to study music. This led to forming a band and touring the UK - We even won a band completion & were signed to an independent label. The band went on for 6 years before I quit to peruse other musical avenues which sadly never panned out. You can probably imagine the sort of antics that this kind of life brings… A lot more partying.

Fast forward to my mid 20’s, and I had quit the band, my Girlfriend of 5 years (Thought I’d marry her) left me and my now Legal bike at the time was written off in an accident (not my fault - I was stationary sat on it at the lights). It was at about this time that I realised it was perhaps time to grow up and join society.

Here we are many years later, and unbelievably I have a good job working in Finance of all things for an Insurance company. Never dreamt in a million years that this would be how I earn my money, but life’s funny like that.

I now consider myself to be a kind and caring Gentleman with emphasis on manners. I lead a volunteering group working at a special needs school, and I always try to help others wherever I can. Would I change any of it? No way. Thanks to my younger years I am certainly street wise and comfortable enough whether I am talking to a group of youths on a street corner, or presenting to the senior leadership at work. These are clearly very different discussions utilising almost different languages with your vocabulary. My mate calls me a chameleon as he says I can mix and mingle with anyone and find common ground.

At the end of the day, I was certainly given a head start in life compared to so many, but I def took the rocky path to my adult life. My best mate was an easily led guy as a kid and comes from a single parent home, but he regularly reminds me of the times when I could sense something was going down that was just too much, and I would talk him out of it and the pair of us would walk away. Most of the time, we all encounter “bad situations” but it’s about being brave and standing up to others, not bowing to peer pressure.

Also, whether the you agree or not about the severity of a judicial system, the law is the law. Whilst some may say ours in the UK isn’t good enough, I would argue that others are too severe. We live on a tiny island and space is an issue with our jails for sure. I personally think our Police are brilliant overall. When I watch a US programme about your Police, they scare the sh*t out of me quite frankly, and not in a good deterrent way. They appear Almost military you know?

@Pbsw23 sounds like you are in the right way in life my friend…

& talking about our police from your quote…

Police, they scare the sh*t out of me quite frankly, and not in a good deterrent way. They appear Almost military you know?”… 

I wouldn’t know since I’ve not been in trouble or around the riff-raff 🙏

The judicial system has gone completely down the tube here as they let more & more vicious criminals out the next day 😡 & they keep the less criminal offenders in longer… Woe to those who call evil good and good evil ;)

• Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 8:12 PM, Veum said:

This is for some of my UK/England lads @Basil @RileyLad @Pbsw23 @Robertm89 @DodgyDave @Hecko  @MoneySniper @Mac Hadfield & anyone I missed…

Been binge-watching some of your Cops reality shows i.e. The Force: Manchester/24 Hours in Police Custody & was wondering how did you avoid/escape the pitfalls of criminal activity in your upbringing by not getting involved in all the things I see, especially the youth doing wrong… there is a prolific amount of crime in car thefts, drug dealing, drunk driving, domestic violence, etc.? 🧐 

I’m was just curious in the good route you have taken (was it your good parents, good mates, girlfriends, sports, innocent hobbies, sightseeing, etc.???) & especially in your love of our hobby instead of the mischief I see on these shows!

As a young lad any mistakes I make will be in my future rather then past, but that being said my group of friends are decent people and I like to occupy myself with sports a few times a week. My parents are great and do the best for me that they can. The area I live in isn’t the greatest, and I’ve seen a few crazy things and heard even worse about the area. But I like to keep myself away from trouble and try be a decent person.

• Like 5

Another morning, another day, another opportunity to be stronger than before! Psychos HAPpY 
Masculine MONDAY

Spoiler

Y72FfXs.jpg

JPNcElH.jpg

FApuBl3.jpg

e3TyAfD.jpg

PwegPLh.jpg

HSDnbyB.jpg

t0mRsIb.jpg

Ai8IFsu.jpg

yJBtJRh.jpg

xXrrAbn.jpg

4O74Ve9.jpg

Good Morning Psychos! Your Monday morning thoughts set the tone for your whole week. See yourself getting stronger, & living a fulfilling, happier & healthier life.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

Another morning, another day, another opportunity to be stronger than before! Psychos HAPpY 
Masculine MONDAY

Reveal hidden contents

Y72FfXs.jpg

JPNcElH.jpg

FApuBl3.jpg

e3TyAfD.jpg

PwegPLh.jpg

HSDnbyB.jpg

t0mRsIb.jpg

Ai8IFsu.jpg

yJBtJRh.jpg

xXrrAbn.jpg

4O74Ve9.jpg

Good Morning Psychos! Your Monday morning thoughts set the tone for your whole week. See yourself getting stronger, & living a fulfilling, happier & healthier life.

giphy.gif

Morning Psychos!!

Disappointment GIF

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Squeegie McGee said:

@Basil @Hecko

Something to take your mind off.. Miley Cage Monday!

1mbA.gif

Miley Cyrus Meme GIF

as long as its not the new song put thru a wha wha pedal, so obvious studio effects now its bloody silly. she cannot sing that low period.

love to actually hear her sing just thru a microphone or reckon that be cat tail stamping time?

here it is on bloody radio all the time

basil 👍

• Like 3

Small notes.

One.

I'm more and more convinced that on our vacations each time we need more to disconnect from our gadgets, or at least from the net. Breathe, and think only of a physical world. Especially for those of us who spend many hours in front of a computer while working, this ends up being essential to maintain balance.

Two.

Spain has been a peculiar case in the evolution of physical format cinema. When sales fell, and streaming and piracy ate up a good part of the market, "strange" decisions were made maybe testing some things, with surprising and negative decisions for the fans here. For example, gradually reduced the attributes of the editions; distribute editions in worse conditions trying to promote their streaming businesses. Because of this, for example, in Spain Disney gave up to distribute 4K editions (not even Avengers, or StarWars, or Pixar... none) recommending seeing it only on Disney+; as well others saying that the business was not going well were trying to save costs and steer people towards digital.

Well, even in a troubled market, and in a difficult economic situation, even with the pandemic and lockdown, the community resists. Several years later, Disney has just announced that it renounces its decision not to distribute 4K in physical format in Spain, and with "Black Widow" the first Disney 4K edition in Spain will arrive. Having said it would never happen.

A 4K Steelbook for "Unbreakable" will be the next.

And it seems that the rest of the sector begin to think that the experiment didn't work so well. From now Warner also includes Spain in the release countries of "Titans of Cult" collection. If you ever want to find one, the new releases also go on sale in Spain, and maybe some of the previous ones could come to see the light at some point.

Three.

Obviously, @Hollywood E Rock, it had to be the devotion to seeing Scarlett in 4K that did it. Signatures were collected, and I signed all of them. ;) 

Four.

I have read an article where relevant people from the DVD, Blu-ray and 4K film distribution industry in France called for government support for the protection of the physical format. Vive la France. Hopefully they set a precedent.

Five.

On vacation I have been watching "V", the original series. I hadn't seen it since I was a child. And it seemed incredible to me how with few resources, and very rudimentary, they were able to do something with a lot of charm. Far from the resources that any similar production would have today, even thinking about the 2009 version, which I think is entertaining; but made with the excited eyes of a child, writing what people would like to see in such a situation, but doing it with some kind of ilusion. Maybe it can be childish, and maybe it is; but it comes from a time where things were done with much more affection than many series are being made today, which lately seem to be taken from a factory.

• Like 6