IGNORED

Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! NEW: CHALLENGE 38 IS NOW LIVE!

extantsrevenge

Thank you @R1s1ngs0n for this multilingual challenge!

Here are my picks for favourite films not in English or Chinese:

1. Confessions (Japanese)

2. One Cut of the Dead (Japanese)

3. The Handmaiden (Korean)

4. Intouchables (French)

5. The Invisible Guest (Spanish)

Challenge25.thumb.jpg.f11136e1f65c1111aaa0f4121383c5c4.jpg

I'd like to see Oriol Paulo's Mirage (Durante La Tormenta) get a premium release.

• Like 19

Awards

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the great Challenge 25 @R1s1ngs0n! I hope I have understood the criteria correctly. Here are a few selected films.

- Apocalypto (Mayathan)
- Parasite (Korean)
- Riders Of Justice (Danish)
- The 800 (Chinese)
- Belle (Japanese)
- OSS 117 (French)
- Midsommar (Swedish)

Also, I would be very happy to receive Premium Editions of Anders Thomas Jensen's films (Adam's Apples, The Green Butchers, Riders Of Justice, etc.). Gladly also a Premium Collection of several films! 

116D35D2-22FF-49B4-8DA2-ADDEF876331D.thumb.jpeg.80512bb2f536a6acb812a070f584fff2.jpeg

DA1C98D7-C6B9-47E4-976E-420F6DC7C8EB.thumb.jpeg.a99de218e6ec9f6db4b38632f3b150a0.jpeg

830C791C-3A5F-4AF9-B96D-89359FB1E451.thumb.jpeg.ef016401d23bbe9dbbe7e082351d968b.jpeg

35ACBE24-4998-438B-A7D7-1CE9F883D124.thumb.jpeg.6ce633bbbac107a1877090ca7d259b46.jpeg

0C9B03AF-D28C-4CCA-B125-9E71AFCD1132.thumb.jpeg.edb508b400c6cc1d0849e9fcbc2c3ede.jpeg

6F67AFB3-7992-4538-959D-783DE00F0C16.thumb.jpeg.2f86722db919503cc9b68e3a2aa71a0c.jpeg

B34B65F8-23DC-4D93-BD6B-56E64295162C.thumb.jpeg.fd2dd9a6fd0f99e735dea20315670f08.jpeg

Edited by Gentleman
  • Like 21

53 minutes ago, nerdist said:

Thank you @R1s1ngs0n for this multilingual challenge!

Here are my picks for favourite films not in English or Chinese:

4. Intouchables (French)

I'd like to see Oriol Paulo's Mirage (Durante La Tormenta) get a premium release.

You need to replace one of the Japanese movies with one in a different language - 5 different languages in total.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

You need to replace one of the Japanese movies with one in a different language - 5 different languages in total.

Oops, my bad.🙈 Here's an addition to my submission:

6. The Man Without a Past (Finnish)

Challenge25-1.thumb.jpg.4fa8ab1fc60bb582a91ca0c6a5f0def4.jpg

1 hour ago, nerdist said:

4. Intouchables (French)

• Like 21

Awards

1 hour ago, Peter Manoukian said:

Could I list a movie where English is spoken but is also includes another language here and they're in the scenes such as Italian or Russian?

If this language is prominently featured in the movie and not just in a couple of short scenes, then yes.

Edited by R1s1ngs0n
  • Like 6

Oscar selection again this one took some time to think about @Gary K and @extantsrevenge

Green Book would have been included however I only have it on a digital copy . A physical one is on the way .

Another special shout out to Argo as well .

Gladiator

The Extended cut as with almost every movie is THE ONE TO WATCH . Joaquin Phoenix is whole different Commodus in this cut .

It was a travesty in my lowly opinion that the LATE GREAT Oliver Reed was not  posthumous nominee for his last ever role of Antonius Proximo before his untimely passing.

Schindlers List

THIS IS WHERE THE OSCAR BEST OF THE BEST WORE OFF FOR ME .

Another rant incoming how the hell Ralph Finnes missed out on the Best Supporting Actor to Tommy Lee Jones WILL ALWAYS BATTER MY BISCUIT  . WTF and HOW THF was Jones given the win .  I think Tommy Lee Jones is a phenomenal actor role for role it was a case of votes for  mates .

The call between Liam Neeson and Tom Hanks is a much harder choice and I am so pleased it was not one that I had to make .

Return Of The King

EVERY Movie in the trilogy deserved the nomination and win . End of nothing else to say .

Breaveheart 

Where to Start every aspect of this epic historical tale is handled with such perfection it's a masterclass in how to do a period tale .

As for the negh sayers that question it's accuracy they can go watch something else and leave us to enjoy this spectacular movie .

Parasite 

Bong Joon Ho need the lot for Snowpiecer .  The story itself is a delight to behold and the great Song Kang Ho being the rock . He  holds everything in place has to be seen to be appreciated and believed .

PXL_20230311_162134966.MP.jpg

• Like 20

Challenge #23, The Best of the Best

thank you @Fortis93

Sci-Fi

1. Alien 2

2. Terminator 2

3. Blade Runner

4. Predator

5. Dune

Psycho_Challenge23.thumb.jpg.4d84f883beabb7afc41854a7d144366b.jpg

I wavering between Blade Runner and Dune as starting point for loving Sci-Fi, but I guess Dune is a little bit further forward as I love to read the book by Frank Herbert.

Regards, Wolfgang

• Like 16

5 hours ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

CHALLENGE 25 - "THE MULTILINGUAL PSYCHO"

Since MP can be rightly considered the leading international community for collectors of physical media, with members of different nationalities interacting (and in some cases even meeting in person) with each other on a daily basis, it is time to introduce a challenge that celebrates this wonderful diversity.

Show at least 5 editions of movies in different languages that are not in English or your native tongue.
Movies where several languages are spoken are accepted, provided only one language is chosen from each movie and it has to be used prominently throughout the film (Inglourious Basterds can be accepted as either a German or French speaking film but obviously not Italian).

HandsomeHairyAmericanmarten-size_restric

Lastly, list one or two foreign language films for which you’d like to see a Premium released.

I'm not very international, but this is what I got!

1) Inglourious Basterds (French/German/Italian 😏)

2) A Writer's Odyssey (Chinese)

3) The Raid (Indonesian)

4) Ran (Japanese)

5) La Otra Conquista (Spanish)

20230312_053314.thumb.jpg.f1a110e745ced597d0bd1167f5c02bb7.jpg

As for a premium I'd like? I suppose any of Miyazaki's stuff, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop movie... Basically whatever 80s/90s era anime you got!

Edit: forgot to mention, have another Challenge idea!

Edited by InfiniteDoors
  • Like 19

@R1s1ngs0n and @extantsrevenge ... Challenge#24

While I'm not a fan of awards, I do have quite a few films that have won awards. Since in the last challenge, Sci-Fi was number one...I would put my Oscar winners in Sch-Fi for that reason.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Joker

The Dark Knight

Interstellar

Dune

Tenet

image.thumb.jpeg.47dc4a4647ace59bdcb7a4cc22833b1d.jpeg

• Like 17

6 hours ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

Since MP can be rightly considered the leading international community for collectors of physical media, with members of different nationalities interacting (and in some cases even meeting in person) with each other on a daily basis, it is time to introduce a challenge that celebrates this wonderful diversity.

Show at least 5 editions of movies in different languages that are not in English or your native tongue.
Movies where several languages are spoken are accepted, provided only one language is chosen from each movie and it has to be used prominently throughout the film (Inglourious Basterds can be accepted as either a German or French speaking film but obviously not Italian).

Lastly, list one or two foreign language films for which you’d like to see a Premium released.

Thanks, @R1s1ngs0n, for this weeks challenge! Sadly, my non-English collection is very small, but here’s what I was able to pull together.

1. Ringu (Japanese)

2. Trilogia de Guillermo del Toro (Spanish)

3. Benedetta (French)

4. Apocalypto (Mayan)

5. Midsommar (Swedish)

96603221-09F3-4FF6-B936-776F7BB1CA7D.thumb.jpeg.5a1b56246ae9b626de41870f0260359f.jpeg

As far as what foreign title I’d love to see get a premium… I have to confess, I’m pretty ignorant on this front and foreign-language films are a very large weak spot in my collection and knowledge. I am not well-versed in non-English releases, and really don’t have any idea what’s been released and what hasn’t. This week’s challenge should make for a nice education for me, and I look forward to following everyone’s picks with interest!

• Like 20

CHALLENGE 25 - "THE MULTILINGUAL PSYCHO

Tried not to repeat a language.   Here is what I've come up with.

1) Il Gatto A Nova Code (The Cat o' Nine Tails)  Italian 

2) Blue is the Warmest Colour - French

3) Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon -Mandarin 

4) Pan's Labyrinth  - Spanish

5) Battle Royale - Japanese 

20230312_082138.thumb.jpg.53b413439fb69c560eafe7849fee9a21.jpg

• Like 20

7 hours ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

🥤 🤠 🎬 An extremely hard challenge my friend @R1s1ngs0n as I do not own that many different language films! 😒

INSOMNIA Norwegian

CYBORG German

SPIDER-MAN INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE Japanese

ISLE OF DOGSSpanish

- TAE GUK GI: THE BROTHERHOOD OF WAR Korean

AC70F97C-CF90-4B1F-BAB5-11A16027D64D.thumb.jpeg.18a32c24907976b14455f331e90689ad.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 9
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

Challenge #25 The multilangual Psycho

Thank you @R1s1ngs0n for a great challenge. 

Will anyone be keeping score as to what countries show up the most frequently? I would guess Japanese would be number 1 but after that I don’t know. Indonesian is coming up a lot thanks to the Raid!

Anyways, here are my 5 which I selected based on the relative scarcity of these languages in my movie collection.

Amharic, Harari, Oromo - Fayadayi. I lived in Ethiopia for about 4 months and will generally buy/support anything from Ethiopia. It’s a very beautiful country with many different and wonderful people. I’m really sad to hear about what’s going on now in that country. I have been lucky enough to travel a fair amount and be to some pretty atypical places. I always tell people, if you have a desire to visit a place, go now as you don’t know what the future holds. Ethiopia seemed perfectly safe and stable when I visited.

Belarussian - Come and See. This film hits hard…

Benagli - The Apu Trilogy. For a country that really loves its movies, I have no other Indian films. Seems a bit tragic. Mondo Macabro is releasing a Bollywood horror boxset that I want to check out.

Nigerian dialects - Who Killed Captain Alex and Bad Black. This is listed as English language and the VJ speaks mostly English but the actors are mostly speaking some form of pidgin English. 

Persian - Taste of Cherry. Talk about a country that I would love to visit! Maybe one day. But I do need more Iranian, and middle Eastern films, in my movie collection in general.

Romanian - Delta Space Mission. Not my favorite movie but it’s an interesting journey and it is very rare to get releases for older foreign language cartoons. I will be getting Deaf Crocodile’s the Son of the Stars at some point

Edit - forgot to include what films need a premium release. Crouching Tiger deserves a better releases, something from WCL or UHD club. And of course The Killer and Hard Boiled need upgrades and premium treatment.

AA388D06-AB0E-4457-AEF3-E1E43038F99C.thumb.jpeg.47dfd4fe7fdd8fa9190e305f6f4c03f0.jpeg

Edited by Mrdugan
Forgot something
  • Like 17

Challenge #24: And the Oscar goes to... Thanks to @Gary Kfor the awesome challenge!

5. Training Day (Best Actor: Denzel Washington). My favorite Denzel performance. 

DF5WtkO.jpeg

4. Raging Bull (Best Actor: Robert DeNiro). What a movie, and an absolute travesty this didn't win Best Picture. 

KMuelfS.jpeg

3. Return of the King (Best Picture, Best Director: Peter Jackson) I felt like Fellowship was slightly better, but still a fantastic movie. 

oKW8Zs0.jpeg

2. The Godfather Part II (Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor: Robert DeNiro, Best Director: Francis Ford Coppola). The greatest sequel of all time. 

zbIa7Oh.jpeg

The Godfather (Best Picture, Best Actor: Marlon Brando). It doesn't get better than this. 

Q0XOTBI.jpeg

My choice as the best movie to not win Best Picture is Pulp Fiction. I understand that Forrest Gump is a great movie, and it gives you the feels, but it is not better than Pulp Fiction. Period. 

hnMoI1S.jpeg

• Like 18

7 minutes ago, cypheria078 said:

CHALLENGE 25 :

Finally, not as easy as it seems to me, but I found some gems in my collection 🙂

1 - Bayan Ko (Filipino)

2 - Parasite (Korean)

3 - Perdita Durango (Spanish)

4 - Le Pacte Des Loups (French)

5 - In The Mood For Love (Cantonese)

64280CAA-038B-4F80-8241-30ED5F0AF934.thumb.jpeg.6ab85368c4c6dc30084ecf2d3c75824f.jpeg

No French allowed for you, my friend. 
Pick a different language 😉

• Like 2
  • Confused 1