IGNORED

Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! NEW: CHALLENGE 38 IS NOW LIVE!

extantsrevenge

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

@Pbsw23 not a horror fan, but based on your selections I should be able to pass this one with flying colors 😃

terminator ill be back GIF

Same here mate. I wanted it to be as inclusive as possible, but of course with some clear rules rather than a free for all. I think most people should still be able to participate on this one. 👍🏼

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gary K said:

Just to clarify - must the titles contain one of the above? Or can they be other kind of horror/Halloween?

No the title isn’t important. The movies must feature one of those listed, but should be the main plot. Not just a cameo appearance. Make sense? 👍🏼

Also just to clarify, if it’s a proper “Horror” movie, then the list of ghouls etc does not apply. The specific list is to clarify that “Monsters” as a generalisation do not qualify for this challenge, IF the movie isn’t a Horror movie.

Edited by Pbsw23
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• ★ Administrators ★
1 minute ago, Pbsw23 said:

No the title isn’t important. The movies must feature one of those listed, but should be the main plot. Not just a cameo appearance. Make sense? 👍🏼

I meant movie, not title.  So slashers wouldn’t count, nor would films like The Omen, Exorcist, The Thing, Halloween, Shining, etc…

Just clarifying…

• Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★
7 minutes ago, Pbsw23 said:

Also just to clarify, if it’s a proper “Horror” movie, then the list of ghouls etc does not apply. The specific list is to clarify that “Monsters” as a generalisation do not qualify for this challenge, IF the movie isn’t a Horror movie.

Ok, gotcha….so Ghostbusters counts even though it’s not horror because it prominent features ghosts. Got it.  Thanks!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gary K said:

I meant movie, not title.  So slashers wouldn’t count, nor would films like The Omen, Exorcist, The Thing, Halloween, Shining, etc…

Just clarifying…

The only one I would question there is The Thing - Is this a horror? Or is this a creepy Sci-fi such as Life….  Not sure. The others would all count though 👍🏼

• Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★
1 minute ago, Pbsw23 said:

The only one I would question there is The Thing - Is this a horror? Or is this a creepy Sci-fi such as Life….  Not sure. The others would all count though 👍🏼

I think the Thing is definitively Horror.   Sci-Fi horror, sure but definitely Horror.

• Like 4

• ★ Administrators ★
Just now, Pbsw23 said:

I’m happy to throw this one over to Judge Squirrel. Though I am sure he will rule in your favour 👨‍⚖️🐿😁

I don’t need it for my submission.  I have hundreds and hundreds of horror titles to choose from…it’s my favorite genre.  Just an “academic” question, but the fact that it’s sci-fi based doesn’t make any less horrific IMHO.   When you have a human head stretch off a body and sprout spider legs and walk away - it doesn’t get more horror than that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• ★ Administrators ★

Thanks @Pbsw23 for the new challenge, it is perfect for the lead up to Halloween in our small Media Psychos Spooky Week. This challenge will run until the end of Halloween October 31st 👻

michael-myers-halloween1978.gif

And talking about Halloween, seeing the original 1978 Halloween when I was young was very scary for me 😱. The Music, the characters, the setting I think they did it to perfection. Halloween IV I also found extremely nerve wracking, poor Jamie. Halloween remains my favorite Horror Movie to this day. I really like the series. With the exception of 3 which I do not count towards the series. 1, 2, 4 & 5 being the best movies, 6, H20, 8 still okay. Sadly the Rob Zombie Remake is absolute trash. From the new trilogy I have not seen the last movie yet, but I did not like Kills at all, which is why I skipped the cinema for the last one.

Overall I can say that Horror is not really my Genre anymore. And these days they also don't scare me anymore. Mostly I'm more offended by what I see in the Horror Genre these days. Either they are just so bad, or the violance is reaching disgusting levels 😅

Anyway for the Challenge I wend with the very nice first Halloween Steelbook from the UK.

The Scream Quadrilogy Steelbook from Germany (this is a Series I like very much).

The Shining Black Barons (seeing that one the first time was also scary 😨).

It CHapter 1 Black Barons with a wonderful Lenti.

Friday the 13th complete Blu-ray Box. I revisited this Series last year and I did not like it anymore, so I wish I would have sold this Set when it was worth something 🤣.

1716376015_MPChallenge7.thumb.JPG.9f4ed51516f2883241fb108edd815f87.JPG

Damn, I should have included From Dusk Till Dawn, totally forgot about that, as I did not think about vampires.

Have a nice

kuerbis001.gif.85abf5063739eb82922a02a508fcf5b5.gif

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★
8 minutes ago, Gary K said:

I think the Thing is definitively Horror.   Sci-Fi horror, sure but definitely Horror.

6 minutes ago, Pbsw23 said:

I’m happy to throw this one over to Judge Squirrel. Though I am sure he will rule in your favour 👨‍⚖️🐿😁

@extantsrevenge 👆🏼

The Thing I think I would allow. But I don't want anyone to included Alien. That is for me no horror movie at all. So hopefully people have enough horror or some ghostly & Vampire stuff like @Pbsw23 included.

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Pbsw23 said:

Wait… Ghostbusters can be qualified as horror but we are debating whether The Thing can be qualified as such? 

lucious lyon wtf GIF

• Haha 12

• ★ Administrators ★
Just now, extantsrevenge said:

The Thing I think I would allow. But I don't want anyone to included Alien. That is for me no horror movie at all. So hopefully people have enough horror or some ghostly & Vampire stuff like @Pbsw23 included.

Respectfully disagree about Alien - it’s a classic haunted house setup - just on a spaceship and it scared the heck out of me as a kid too.

Similarly Event Horizon is absolutely a horror film.

I know it’s a blurry line sometimes when horror is mixed with other genres, but sci-fi horror is still legit horror.  

Just my $.02

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Pbsw23 said:

Challenge 7  - ‘Creepin’ it Reel’

Here comes Halloween People!

giphy.gif

This week we would like you to show us 5 different movies that are either Horror or Halloween themed. All Horror titles are of course allowed, but only 2 titles from one franchise. 

If you do not have any Horror titles and because it is Halloween this week, don’t panic because we are also allowing titles that prominently include the following:

• Witches
  • Ghosts
  • Vampires
  • Skeletons
  • Zombies
  • Werewolves

Please note that ALL other Monsters/Aliens/Creatures will NOT be considered for this Challenge.

All movie formats are inclusive (BluRay, DVD, VHS etc.)

And Finally, all Movie titles Must be of an age rating of 12 or above. No Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Casper the Friendly Ghost please and thank you. 👍🏼

We would like you to accompany your submission with an answer to the following question - What was the First Movie that you recall that Creeped you out?

Thank you and Let’s Go! 🎃👻💀🧟‍♂️

giphy.gif

@Pbsw23 so are you saying my Universal Classic Monsters would not qualify (I believe all of them are “horror” related films to me)? 🤔 

image.jpeg.47b007ab976a2053eaa3ff62279205bd.jpeg

Please note that ALL other Monsters/Aliens/Creatures will NOT be considered for this Challenge.

• Like 3

Just now, R1s1ngs0n said:

Wait… Ghostbusters can be qualified as horror but we are debating whether The Thing can be qualified as such? 

lucious lyon wtf GIF

Never said Ghostbusters was a Horror did I. ☺️

The Thing is an Alien right… which I listed as not considered. And predominantly Ghostbusters is all about…. Well Ghosts. 🤷🏼‍♂️😁

If it makes you feel any better, I suggested rated 15 and up which would have meant Ghostbusters doesn’t count. 

Looking forward to your submission now Mr. Bond… 😉😂

• Haha 9

I may enjoy horror so I decided to do 2 submissions.

First is my “rare” horror boxsets. I think the Mario Bava collection from Arrow is the first of all of these that I bought. Arrow was selling them cheap and they announced they would be going OOP, seemed like an obviously good pick up at the time. I actually watched all of these with my wife who hates horror and a childhood friend who loved movies was tragically murdered when we were making our way through the boxset. After every movie I would think “did Mark see that movie? Did he like it?” So it holds a special place in my collection. Both the Bava and Tsukamoto are from Arrow and include sweet hardback booklets. 

BA522580-DD56-4230-8F8B-37D6378B6969.thumb.jpeg.d6179f2fa2ec54dd58064ccf0bbe8f20.jpeg

Next submission is actual horror steelbooks…err…metal-based-movie-cases. Three releases are from Synapse (slips aren’t pictured). They do make beautiful steelbooks and Suspira is a favorite movie and favorite steelbook. Also included exorcist and Alien as absolute classic horror movies. Alien metal-pac is one of my earliest steel-related-books. When are we getting a good 4K premium of Alien and the franchise?!?

5A6047AE-3ACE-4B45-99CA-1DF2B6109FC7.thumb.jpeg.f230b3b99ea3f78f155c2fa4f303b94c.jpeg

Lastly, to answer the question…I can’t really remember the first movie that freaked me out. I grew up in the 80s and 90s and a lot of horror franchises were going hard at that time. Poltergeist stands out in my mind though as freaking me the **** out though.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Challenge #7!

apocalypse now horror GIF by Maudit

The first three I'm showing are three of what I consider to be modern classic, all on 4k of course. 

spacer.png

The next two are two of my personal favorites. By the way, the Shining is the first movie that really creeped me out. My dad thought it was okay to let a 6 year old me watch this on HBO back in the day. The Shining also happens to be a top 10, maybe top 5, 4k transfer. It is nearly perfect. 

spacer.png

• Like 23

• ★ Administrators ★
Just now, Pbsw23 said:

Never said Ghostbusters was a Horror did I. ☺️

The Thing is an Alien right… which I listed as not considered. And predominantly Ghostbusters is all about…. Well Ghosts. 🤷🏼‍♂️😁

If it makes you feel any better, I suggested rated 15 and up which would have meant Ghostbusters doesn’t count. 

Looking forward to your submission now Mr. Bond… 😉😂

The thing itself is an alien, but the Thing as a movie is a horror film.  Are you saying that no sci fi can be considered horror simply because it involves aliens or science fiction setting/concepts?  

• Like 5

• ★ Administrators ★
14 minutes ago, Gary K said:

Respectfully disagree about Alien - it’s a classic haunted house setup - just on a spaceship and it scared the heck out of me as a kid too.

Similarly Event Horizon is absolutely a horror film.

I know it’s a blurry line sometimes when horror is mixed with other genres, but sci-fi horror is still legit horror.  

Just my $.02

By contrast, Aliens is NOT horror.  It is a sci-fi action/war film.  Alien though…..the entire structure of the film is horror.

• Like 6

My submissions for challenge 7

I am hoping my selections qualify 

Wizard of Oz Black Barons

So first up, talking about witches, The wicked witch of the West is a stand out cinema history movie character 

Iconic film, iconic character , superbly played by Margaret Hamilton

I have many other editions including Hdz, Warner 75th anniversary etc and the 3D version 

Coco BF OC

For skeletons, how about this gem from Pixar

When it first came out, I was thinking how have they done a kids cartoon with skeletons so that it does not freak them out

But it was very cutely done ..

Only Pixar can do this 

Ghostbusters 

What a flick, what a title track

How ya gonna call...

Quintessentially 80s, Bill Murray at his best

I liked the recent one, Ghostbusters afterlife as well

28 days later

Probably one of the best zombie flicks

The fact that it was shot in my hometown of London was special 

Cillian Murphy walking around the empty streets of Westminster was quite creepy 

I was thinking how did they film that 🤔

Loved the sequel.  Wish they do another one from the franchise 

28 months later..anyone?

An American Werewolf in London 

Best Werewolf film bar none

I have pretty much every edition out there for this film

But I do miss the landscape orientation play.com steelbooks 

They were a fun concept

Looking forward to the new Zavvi hand silhouette edition,  but it's been beset with many delays.  Not sure I'll see it anytime soon

20221023_154205.jpg

• Like 22

• ★ Administrators ★

Everyone there is also a specific reason why the challenge is made like it is 😁, we still need those Monsters/Aliens/Creatures for something else.

1255463263_StormyNightSkyLogo_free.gif.5cd5a9274251caa984721f775c132b75.gif

has still another great "Thing" coming 😲

22 minutes ago, Gary K said:

Actually the first time I saw Alien, my mother switched off the TV when the scene at the table came 🤣, she was scared and I and my brother complained why we could not continue to watch. Anyway for me Alien is among the greates Sci-Fi ever with the best creature ever created, so we keep it out 😜

@Parzival movies to be included need to be rating 12 and up. I think Cocco and Wizard of Oz are below that.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3