IGNORED

Anime Collection

jaferris

Round 2!

A few hours later, I received another package, this time from Amz.ca.

It contained;

- The new, Basilisk: The Ouka Ninja Scrolls Pt 1 (with slip), and

- Serial Experiments Lain (Anime Classics, with slip)

The new Basilisk is apparently a sequel, 10 years after the initial shows timeline and I'm very excited to see this as I LOVED the 1st series!!!

I doubt SEL needs any synopsis from me. The definition of a 'classic'.

Pic time: (then round 3!)

Bassy 2 and SEL.JPG

• Like 2

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Round 3!

Just a mention of what I ordered today.

I asked my Grand-Daughter (11) a few days ago, to send me a list of Anime she would dearly love to have.

With Mom's help (who is also a hard-core Anime lover) they sent me a pretty good list!

Some of them are still in the rather pricey range (i.e. the My Hero Academia sets) so will wait a bit on those but some titles I jumped at and ordered today;

- Summer Wars

- The Boy and The Beast, and

- Mary and the Witches Flower

heh, I think Grandpa is gonna be watching these before they are sent though! Great titles!

I've already sent them every Ghibli title I could think of, so their Blu collection is growing pretty good ( they predominantly Stream/Download).

Last: I've been an enormous fan of Asian Cinema releases for MANY years and received a number of new ones over the past 2 months.

I need to check where  the appropriate thread is here to mention those. hey my friend @extantsrevenge got a quick link? 😉

So that's it for now my friends!

Keep posting your own new treasures please! I LOVE to see them!

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My local theater was showing Mirai last Saturday morning, so I went to see that. I absolutely adored it, of course! It was the English dub, but it was well done. With the Blu-rays I picked up on sale at Amazon recently, I’m now ready to do a deep dive into all of Hosoda’s films....

Netflix made a new, original Ultraman series that just released this week. Unlike the live-action 1960s Japanese TV series, this one is CG animated, and I would say it has some anime influence for sure. It’s getting positive reviews from IGN and a friend of mine who has watched it. I haven’t seen it yet, but I’m hoping to watch it soon. Have any of you watched it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awards

^^   @DarthEd: wrt new "Ultraman":  Looks very cool buddy! Something I may need to keep an eye for when/if a Blu comes out!

wrt Hosoda's shows; I haven't seen Mirai yet but as I mentioned above, just ordered "Summer Wars" and "The Boy and the Beast" so very much looking forward to those.  "Wolf Children" is apparently really heavy with the feels so I'm not sure when I'll pick that up and "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" is apparently excellent and will probably be on my next 'to get' list.

Just an FYI, there's a box set of 4 of those (not Mirai) available in a Digibook for not too bad a price. Now, I've read the Digibook pkg leaves a bit to be desired and NO extras in the set but for a barebones one-stop shop, wanted to let you know.

here's the link and pic;

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Hosoda&i=movies-tv-intl-ship&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

😀

btw buddy, go back to the bottom of page 7 to see my new treasures received today!

MH coll..jpg

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★

@Grendel nice new arrivals 👍 not sure if you will like the new Basilisk, I only checked out the first episode and thought it was not good at all 🙁 I did watch the original series years ago.

All the movies of Mamoru Hosoda are great, I especially like Summer Wars & Wolf Children, I'm really looking forward to see Mirai as well 😊. Anyway I think you will have to buy the Boxset to have the movies for your own collection as well 👍

I was a little disappointed with Mary and the Witches Flower (still nice), but it had something missing.

I'm not sure if we already have a specific topic for Asian Movies, we might need one as I want to see your new goodies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love Serial Experiments Lain! I only have it on DVD. How is the quality of the Blu-ray, Grendel?

I already have Wolf Children, Summer Wars, and The Boy and the Beast on Blu-ray from that Amazon sale I mentioned. I just need to pick up The Girl Who Leaped Through Time. Oh, and find the time to actually watch them.

I wasn’t disappointed by Mary and the Witch’s Flower at all. I thought it was pretty great, but I would say that the story arc could have been better served as a series. With all that world building, I wanted to spend more time there.

Edited by DarthEd
  • Like 2

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★
13 minutes ago, DarthEd said:

I wasn’t disappointed by Mary and the Witch’s Flower at all. I thought it was pretty great, but I would say that the story arc could have been better served as a series. With all that world building, I wanted to spend more time there.

That is what I meant when I said "disappointed" 😅. They had so much going on and I felt it was a little rushed and they did not take enough time to expolre the world and give Mary's character more time to grow. It looked great 😊.

• Like 2

Hello again @extantsrevenge, @DarthEd and my other Anime loving compadres!

I haven't yet watched SEL yet, I will of course let you know after I do how the PQ/AQ is but... I've heard nothing but good from other reviews.

wrt; Basilisk: The Ouka Ninja Scrolls Pt 1, assuredly it may not live up to the greatness of the original but I am anxious to give it a shot.

Also, ya broke an Anime rule @extantsrevenge ! You must watch 3 episodes of a show before you are allowed to drop it!  🤡

heh...

As for Mary and the Witches Flower, again I've heard great things, so anxious to pop that in before I send it off (same with the others I ordered!)

Happy to hear you folk enjoyed it. I haven't heard any word on a sequel yet but would not be surprised.

There's also an 'Ultimate Edition' of it out in the wild, so depending on my love for it, may track that down.

Nice to hear you have a head start on the Hosoda fliks @DarthEd. Heh, yeah that Digibook is priced right but the SEs of each film are gorgeous, so they stand a better chance of ending up on my shelves.

Of course, like you folk, my 'to watch' pile is getting out of control. I plan on dedicating a few upcoming days to knocking it down.

As for the Asian films I've recently purchased (circa 2019), I've been hitting NOVA pretty hard as of late for many but also Amz.ca to get simple amarays of ones I hear are great but no spec eds out.

As I mentioned in the Discino GB thread for The Wandering Earth, my Asian film collection is becoming quite formidable.

I'd LOVE to see us establish a dedicated thread to their ilk, @extantsrevenge.

Now, whether it should be 'recent purchases' or 'collection' (or both? i.e. 2 threads) I trust in your discretion my friend!

To clarify content, you may also need to decide if you wish it to be "English/multi-language friendly releases", or just leave that open to all releases. I'm max flex...🙂

I guess that's lots for now. Great chatting with ya folk!

Cheers!

• Like 3

Hello Again @extantsrevenge, @DarthEd and all my other Anime loving friends!

Hey!  @Terje Iversen !

Get in here buddy and take a look around! 😀

So just a quick post.

I received both Summer Wars and Mary and the Witches Flower today. Wow! that was fast!

As mentioned, these are going to my girls but I will assuredly be taking them for a spin first. Gorgeous!

Indeed, I see a Hosoda complete collection in my near future! 😀

As for non-anime films. Worth mentioning is I just ordered the Pete's Dragon Steel ( the new one), from Kimchi.

Special sale today at $26usd (vice $42usd) if you have interest.

It's a little difficult to tell but I'm pretty certain it has a PET slip over the Steel, and the Steel is beautiful. MUCH better than the Zavvi.

Spent more monies on other goodies (non anime) as well but I can mention those another time.

Perhaps when we have an "Asian Cinema Releases" thread? 🤡

Cheers!

• Like 3

• ★ Administrators ★
7 hours ago, Grendel said:

Spent more monies on other goodies (non anime) as well but I can mention those another time.

Perhaps when we have an "Asian Cinema Releases" thread? 🤡

I'm currently trying to figure out where the best place for such a topic would be 🤔, Maybe english room or general chit chat, any suggestions would be welcome 😊

• Thanks 2

Hey @extantsrevenge, ya know I was just "clowning around", wrt the Asian Thread, right my friend? (Still want one though!, heh)

How are you @DarthEd ?

I've been cruising anime sites this eve for titles for my girls and lucked into some lovely ones!

First;

Most of the Ghibli titles (Blus) at Amz.ca are on sale right now for ~ $20 Cdn !

Grabbed a few ( Totoro and Kiki) and sent an email to my daughter asking what ones I've already sent, as I never wrote them down.

Hopefully she gets back to me before the sale ends.

Also, a real fluke, just bought 'Ajin, S-2 SE" for $17Cdn off them! I'm sure it's a goof up as S-1 is still north of $100. Sure hope they honour it! Got an email confirmation of the order and it shows the SE, so if I receive a bare-bones, I'm calling them on it!

a few other nice deals on the site as well, i.e. : Your Name = $25, Ninja Scroll = $$17, Grimgar = $23, Redline = $20, Appleseed = $20, Joker Game = $23, and others.

I also ordered from Amz.jp, the artwork book for NGNL. after seeing a friends order. I don't know what it is about this dang series that has me so intrigued but yeah, I am!

Pic below. 🙂

That's about it for anime news I guess.

Cheers!

NGNL art.jpg

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 2

Hi @DarthEd ! I'm feeling GREAT lately! TYVM for asking! 🤗

With the dollar exchange right now, I think you would make out like a bandit at Amz.ca! I certainly think it's worth a go.

Especially for the deal on the Ghibli titles.

Shipping for me from Amz.com (US) is not too bad actually, so I think the opposite would also be true.

Yeah, that NGNL artbook is truly amazing! I'll try to forward some pics when it arrives. My friend loaded some up, might even try to send them but if ya want a look, on;

- Blu-ray.com,

- Anime Forum,

- Anime Haul,

- pg 893, " AManOfCharacter" put them up (inside art is in spoilers), so you can see them there. 🙂

Price was very good, if I recall, about $20usd?

Cheers my friend!

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1

Good Evening Once more @extantsrevenge, @DarthEd and all my Anime loving friends!

I was VERY pleased to receive today my NGNL Art Works Book from Amazon.jp  😀

I have yet to open it (been a busy day!) but will post some pics when I do.

It actually came in a bubble mailer...🤨 but fortunately, both it and the 'New Type' magazine, were pristine!

Just as an FYI, I received a LOT of stuff today which I'll just quickly mention, though not anime;

- Kimchi Lenti of "Sicarrio 2" (gorgeous!)

- Nova Lenti and FS of "The Descent" ( both are also very beautiful! numbered and slips. They beat the Steel, hands down)

- Arrow's box set of "The Ring" (which I was nervous about, took a while to reach me. Got the Arrow Steel last week), and

- My Amz.jp spec ed Steel of "Venom" (which fortunately, came boxed and planked!) 🤩  Incredibly gorgeous!

I'll be posting pics of my 'Venom (film) collection' (so far...😉 )  here as well.

Still cruising for anime for my girls. I'll let you know what I pick up.

Cheers!

🙂

• Like 2

Hi there @extantsrevenge, @DarthEd and my other Anime Amigos!

Well this eve I dedicated to a hunt for some Anime for my Daughter and Grand-daughter.

Of course, I went a bit nutbar....

Ordered the following (you sitting down?);

Amz.ca;
- Whisper of the Heart
- Up on Poppy Hill
- Grimgar
- Willie Wonka (Wilder, of course!)

Amz.com;
- The Secret World Of Arrietty
- When Marnie Was There
- The Wind Rises
- Castle In The Sky
- The Cat Returns
- Tales From Earthsea
- Mirai
- Cardcaptor (Movies) 1 & 2

Prices were (evidently) much better at the Amz USA site for those purchased there. The shipping and "Import" charges suck but still came to a lower total than Amz.ca for those (hence the reason for the quantity).

I LOVE being a Grandpa!  🤗

:$

Oh, for myself, bought;

Boogiepop Phantom: (4 dvds. Show came out in 2000) No Blu out yet.

Since the new series is causing quite a stir, I figured I'd grab this while still available.

This original has a LOT of praise in the anime community, so quite looking forward to it. Hope the new show turns out great!

That's about it for me folks...

Cheers! 🙂

• Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★

:wow: that are absolutely stunning pick ups 😍, I'm sure your girls will love them. Ghibli is simply the best. Card Captor Sakura is so lovely, I recommend also getting the orginal series and Clear Card. Besides the Original Sailor Moon it is my favorite Magical Girl Show. I hope we will get another Clear Card season in the future, as I was very pleased with that series. They did everything right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello again my friends @extantsrevenge, @DarthEd and all Anime Fans!

Just a quick note this eve as I am exhausted after a fair amount of work today but wanted to mention;

Madman (Australia) is releasing S-1 (ep 1-13) of 'Violet Evergarden' in June apparently. A bit pricey (approx $43usd) but I anticipate that dropping.

I believe this will be the 1st one with English subs. Mind, @extantsrevenge, I believe you have access already to the German release. Did you by chance pick it up?

Not the greatest storyline ever I hear but drop dead gorgeous to watch!

Link:   (note - the price displayed is in Australian dollars.)

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/47213/violet-evergarden-eps-113-special-bluray

As for pick-ups, just a couple.

Purchased the Art Books for Black Butler. Volumes 1 & 2, Hard Cover, ~ $30usd ea.

Absolutely beautiful! And they are BIG!

I'll of course post photos when they arrive. 🙂

I don't anticipate buying too many artbooks but I'm keeping a watchful eye on new ones released and some older classics.

That's it for now my friends.

Should you have any new purchases you wish to share, please do!

Cheers!

• Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★

@Grendel I have not yet checked out Violet Evergarden 😥, it is on my must see list and I already saw the great German release. If I like the series after first 2 episodes, I might get those in a 3 for 2 deal, as they are otherwise over 120€ 😳. Have to test soon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Been here for a good while but always just lurking. Wanna try and be more active, figured the anime section was a great place to start haha. This is a small portion of our collection! We’ve recently started picking up more uncommon anime’s. We started off with a lot of well known series, but are trying to expand our horizons! Haha. 

6D635877-DC47-41A2-81A2-F93F8AB2D5F6.jpeg

• Like 3

Awards

Good Evening @KingRagnar ! And welcome to the "red headed step-child" of the MP Forums!

Some very wonderful items in your collection, I must say! Well done! 🤩

I also must congratulate you on your growing figure collection. Really great!

I hope you have taken the opportunity to review some of our previous pages here. There's a few lovely pics and some good info as well.

Also, the "Anime: New Releases" section is worth checking out.

Heh, sometimes I forget which thread I'm in, this or the other, and post new releases in both. So in the future, if you do so, not a worry, we'll find it regardless!

All the best, and keep 'em coming!

Edited by Grendel

Oh also, @KingRagnar, I wanted to mention, I has no idea the "Food Wars" boxes were so big! Are they heavy as well? It looks like they used real wood on the S-1 (maybe the S-2 as well) !

Another quick question if I may; what is the 1-clk on top shelf far right beside "Ready Player One"? It's red and black in colour (with 'Marvel' bottom of spine). Looks very cool! 👍

Ta!

Edited by Grendel

@Grendel

Thank you for the warm welcome and kind words! The one-click is Blufans Thor Ragnarok! :) The food Wars boxes have some weight, I would say a bit less than a one-click boxes filled with editions. They look beautiful in person, it’s a hard chipboard that is done very well. Even in person they look like real wood! I’m definitely going to go through all the previous sections of this chat tomorrow to see all the goodies that have been posted! 

Were currently debating if we should get some of our boxes signed. We’re meeting the voice of Ochaco from MHA and she surprisingly has done a lot of Sentai in the past two years. She’s  been a protagonist on quite a bit of their recent series, one being Chivalry of a failed knight. We’re going to have her sign some MHA stuff, so it may get costly to have her sign too much lol. Her, Deku & Tenyas VAs will be visiting a local con. We’re gonna have them all sign our S1 LE for MHA. 

I apologize if it takes a while to respond, I’m actually heading to bed lol. Peace out MPers! 😁👍🏻

• Like 1

Awards

^^ Hello again @KingRagnar. Thanks for the info on Food Wars and Thor Rag. I put strong consideration into purchasing Food Wars. My daughter bought it (std. ed.) and really enjoyed it!

I have so much coin going toward so many purchases as of late though, I suspect I'll hold off.

I'm assuredly a crow and when I see spec eds for a show available, I usually jump on it, heh.

My taste in anime leans a bit darker or at least toward the fantastical though, so....😉

Cheers! ( and enjoy the Anime forum cruise tomorrow (BOTH of them!).

Edited by Grendel