Anime Collection

jaferris

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice collection indeed !

I would recommend all Studio Ghibli movies. Specially Princess Mononoke. Spirited Away. My Neighbour Totoro. Porco Rosso. etc etc.

Others Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Perfect Blue, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ninja Scroll, Paprika etc ...

Many of these have cool steelbook.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I've gone from zero to a *#$@load in pretty record time (2 weeks), heh. Recently ordered;

- GitS Premium release (Nova)

- GitS SAC set (Kimchi)

- GitS SAC 2nd GIG (Kimchi)

- Myazaki collection (used but minty from a member of another forum)

My daughter has been into anime for quite a long time. I think she will lose her mind when these orders arrive home (haven't told her I ordered them yet)  ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@jaferris and @extantsrevenge and @nefilim do you guys get any Blu-Rays Specifically from Japan...? I'm trying to track down a few myself... but due to Japan's whole BluRay market- editions seem... elusive. Elusive and expensive.... and just my luck- the Anime's I DO like enough to own aren't ones picked up by Funimation. 
I don't personally watch a whole lot of anime (I'm a disgrace of a Japanese boy, I know) but I do watch a lot of Tokusatsu. 

But as far as anime recommendations go- 

I highly recommended the rebooted Yamato series- "Uchuu Senkan Yamato: 2199" - it's a very solidly told, classic Sci-Fi Adventure- the type that I would liken to something like the original Star Wars '77 series. Which is apt because the original Yamato series was released in 1973- so it has the same type of vibe. 

I'd also recommend checking out "Mobile Suit Gundam: Thunderbolt: December Sky". I'm not a Gundam fan, personally- I could never see myself getting into Universal Canon or any of the spinoff series', but something about Thunderbolt- the way it was directed, the way it was scored, the way it presents horrific moralities of war- it's all very melancholy. Highly recommend it, even if you're not big in to the Mecha genre- this is one to at least appreciate. 

Also I guess this leads to the question- @Scary Hair is there any place on the forums that's specifically geared towards Japanese Blu-Ray releases and box sets? :)

• Like 2

Awards

3 minutes ago, FN-2187 said:

@jaferris and @extantsrevenge and @nefilim do you guys get any Blu-Rays Specifically from Japan...? I'm trying to track down a few myself... but due to Japan's whole BluRay market- editions seem... elusive. Elusive and expensive.... and just my luck- the Anime's I DO like enough to own aren't ones picked up by Funimation. 
I don't personally watch a whole lot of anime (I'm a disgrace of a Japanese boy, I know) but I do watch a lot of Tokusatsu. 

But as far as anime recommendations go- 

I highly recommended the rebooted Yamato series- "Uchuu Senkan Yamato: 2199" - it's a very solidly told, classic Sci-Fi Adventure- the type that I would liken to something like the original Star Wars '77 series. Which is apt because the original Yamato series was released in 1973- so it has the same type of vibe. 

I'd also recommend checking out "Mobile Suit Gundam: Thunderbolt: December Sky". I'm not a Gundam fan, personally- I could never see myself getting into Universal Canon or any of the spinoff series', but something about Thunderbolt- the way it was directed, the way it was scored, the way it presents horrific moralities of war- it's all very melancholy. Highly recommend it, even if you're not big in to the Mecha genre- this is one to at least appreciate. 

Also I guess this leads to the question- @Scary Hair is there any place on the forums that's specifically geared towards Japanese Blu-Ray releases and box sets? :)

No, not from Japan. They are pretty expensive as you said. I tend to go for Nordic releases. Mostly amarays. But Steels if available Like Akira and couple of others.

Not long ago I found this Akira release in noridic web shop cheaply :

akira_collectors_editon_blu-ray_dvd_import-39873283-bckl.thumb.jpg.b6ae2978d4bfd20d073adc010ac7d5ff.jpg

• Like 3

• ★ Administrators ★

@FN-2187 the problem with the Japanese Anime releases is that they are very expansive and sadly rarely feature english subtitles ? I watch a lot of Anime for years now but somehow I'm to lazy to learn the language ? So subtles are a must, which is sad because as you said some of the items are not released on Blu-ray or any format outside of Japan. I bought the Miyazaki Boxset from Japan, because all Movies feature subtitles and they have the best picture quality in the world. I got the Unicorn & Origin Gundam Disc but aside from that I wait for the German or US release. What I find annoying is that mostly in the US the releases do'n t feature the original Jpanaese writing in the opening or closing, I hate when they do that. So sadly I can't buy any Funimation anymore and they get so many series. Anyway Sentai is awesome and the new Right Stuff Gundam Releases are a dream come true.

Yamato 2199 war very good, the production value is extremely high, I hope the sequel 2202 will be as good as the first.

Gundam Thunderbolt I did not like that much, but I'm not really a Fan of Jazz music, so the Sountrack was not really for me. Just yesterday was the 30th Anniversary of Char's Counterattack Movie, watch the US Blu-ray, that looked terrific ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, extantsrevenge said:

@FN-2187 the problem with the Japanese Anime releases is that they are very expansive and sadly rarely feature english subtitles 1f62d.png I watch a lot of Anime for years now but somehow I'm to lazy to learn the language 1f629.png So subtles are a must, which is sad because as you said some of the items are not released on Blu-ray or any format outside of Japan. I bought the Miyazaki Boxset from Japan, because all Movies feature subtitles and they have the best picture quality in the world. I got the Unicorn & Origin Gundam Disc but aside from that I wait for the German or US release. What I find annoying is that mostly in the US the releases do'n t feature the original Jpanaese writing in the opening or closing, I hate when they do that. So sadly I can't buy any Funimation anymore and they get so many series. Anyway Sentai is awesome and the new Right Stuff Gundam Releases are a dream come true.

Yamato 2199 war very good, the production value is extremely high, I hope the sequel 2202 will be as good as the first.

Gundam Thunderbolt I did not like that much, but I'm not really a Fan of Jazz music, so the Sountrack was not really for me. Just yesterday was the 30th Anniversary of Char's Counterattack Movie, watch the US Blu-ray, that looked terrific 1f60d.png

That's fair with Thunderbolt- it leans pretty heavily in to the two thematic approaches of free form Jazz and more mellow vocalist Jazz... I'm fond of this type of music when implemented correctly- and I think that Thunderbolt utilized it's jazz both intentionally and with an overwhelming amount of style- the same type of style I would harken to It Follow's 80's synth score in terms of how fittingly it accompanied the visuals and increased the overall effect. But personally- I couldn't really get in to the original UC Gundam storylines... I keep being told that I would adore Zeta Gundam because I tend to lean towards liking things that are oppressively dark and morbid (hence my love of Thunderbolt).

Yamato 2199 has got to be my definitely favorite anime....it's such a classic and is so intensely Japanese.... every time I hear the Yamato Theme I want to stand up and sing, and every time I hear Makka no Scarf I just want to cry. It was so well done and such a vast improvement on the original that it really is one of the few anime's that I encourage any one to watch. 

And yeah- it's tough when I like things such as Rider or Sentai stuff that gets no international release outside of Japan. Shout Factory has DVD's of Sentai's that they're releasing.... which boggles my mind because they're still currently releasing outdated formats. But, wooohoooo! Another Sentai/ Rider fan?!?! What's your favorite series...? I don't like a lot of current Heisei era Sentai- one of the last series that I really enjoyed was Mirai Sentai TimeRanger in 2000- however, that being said, Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters (2012) is my all time favorite Sentai... which was a difficult thing to do since Gosei Sentai Dairanger is up there with my favorites. 

Here's actually a link to me geeking out and doing a Henshin with Yuuta Mochizuki and Chiba Reiko from Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger:
https://twitter.com/HolleratMichael/status/741757226872938496

• Like 2

Awards

10 hours ago, FN-2187 said:

@jaferris do you get any Blu-Rays Specifically from Japan...? I'm trying to track down a few myself... but due to Japan's whole BluRay market- editions seem... elusive. Elusive and expensive.... and just my luck- the Anime's I DO like enough to own aren't ones picked up by Funimation. 

Anime is expensive in the UK, main place i use is from All The Anime
they usually have a discount before release to bump pre-orders, or if can risk and wait they have a 12 days of xmas which contains loads of discounts my anime collection jumped loads due to 2017 deals

29133198_10160057966760075_9128647143026851840_o.thumb.jpg.88da0a2308b85eb0600e06713c240403.jpg

• Like 4

• ★ Administrators ★
15 hours ago, extantsrevenge said:

Anyway Sentai is awesome and the new Right Stuff Gundam Releases are a dream come true.

@FN-2187 sorry you misunderstood this sentence. I was talking about the Company Sentai Filmworks ?

But I do like Anime Series that could fall into that category, like one of my all time favorite Sailor Moon ? I have not given the live Action side  of the genre much thought after a couple of episodes from Power Rangers in the 90ties.

I really like the UC Gundam timeline, it has some of the best characters ever created in anime. My favorite are the original series, Z, 8th MS Team, 0080 and the Char's Counterattack Movie. Sadly ZZ is not that strong. I also love Gundam Wing it was the first Gundam I ever saw, currently watching the Blu-ray release. Also Gundam Seed and 00 are very good. Sadly I found the last few TV series not very good. The OVA's on the other hand Unicorn and especially Origin are amazing.

1 hour ago, extantsrevenge said:

@FN-2187 sorry you misunderstood this sentence. I was talking about the Company Sentai Filmworks 1f633.png

But I do like Anime Series that could fall into that category, like one of my all time favorite Sailor Moon 1f60d.png I have not given the live Action side  of the genre much thought after a couple of episodes from Power Rangers in the 90ties.

I really like the UC Gundam timeline, it has some of the best characters ever created in anime. My favorite are the original series, Z, 8th MS Team, 0080 and the Char's Counterattack Movie. Sadly ZZ is not that strong. I also love Gundam Wing it was the first Gundam I ever saw, currently watching the Blu-ray release. Also Gundam Seed and 00 are very good. Sadly I found the last few TV series not very good. The OVA's on the other hand Unicorn and especially Origin are amazing.

Awww man... I got too excited too quickly. xD

"Super Sentai" is a series that airs in Japan which started in 1975- and has continued airing until this day. It was that series that I was referring to. 

Power Rangers was an adaptation of the Super Sentai series by the Saban Corporation that was geared to make money- exuberant amounts of money- and it basically ended up being a producer's wet-dream. Power Rangers paid TOEI studios next to nothing for the Stock footage from their super Sentai series- and reshot all the "Story" bits with non-union acting teenagers. The differences between the series range from the drastic changes to changes so large the show is unrecognizable... and for my money- the Japanese series consistently has better writing and stories... with a few exceptions. Being that there have been 50 episodes per season for 42 seasons- there have been some duds. 

But for example- Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers was adapted from Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger.
Power Rangers was about 5 "teenagers with attitude" being gifted with powers to fight the evil Rita Repusla from ruining the lives of teenagers everywhere.

Zyuranger was about 5 warriors from the pre-historic era being summoned back to life to stop Bandora- an evil witch who planned to sacrifice the souls of all the children on Earth in order to raise Satan from hell and bring about the destruction of mankind. 

In Power Rangers- the Evil Green Ranger is the new teen Tommy that has just moved to town, and who overcomes Rita's evil spell through the power of friendship.

In Zyuranger- DragonRanger Burai is the half-brother of the main character who's family (being a rival tribe) was slaughtered in order for our protagonist to take the throne during his rule in the jurassic rea, and so Burai must restore his family's honor by murdering his brother.

So yeah... subtle differences. xD
And Zyuranger was one of the more lighthearted seasons that I did not like all that much.

A series I would recommend would be Kamen Rider Amazons- a shorter- 13 episode run that you can watch here:
http://kissasian.ch/Drama/Kamen-Rider-Amazons

• Like 1

Awards

• 1 month later...

Just ordered;

- Outlaw Star (CE Box) (from Zavvi, sale price was higher than their regular Blu and DVD sets!

- Testament of Sister New Devil S-1 (CE Box) from Amz.com on a lightning sale, $60 usd !

- Cowboy Bebop on Blu (Reg ed.) price for CE is nuts right now.

- Tales From Earthsea (Steel) from Zavvi.

Recently received;

- No Game No Life (Reg ed.) Price for CE is nutbar crazy! Also ordered the Shiro sitting on Chessboard fig. Hilarious show! A bit ecchi but I don't mind at all  ☺️

- Attack on Titan S-1&2 (Reg ed.) I'll wait until it finishes before ordering a box set.

- Samurai 7 on Blu (Oldie but goodie!)

Yeah, this new genre love is getting pricey...?

Edited by Grendel
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Just ordered;

- Testament of Sister New Devil S-1 (CE Box) from Amz.com on a lightning sale, $60 usd !

Recently received;

- No Game No Life (Reg ed.) Price for CE is nutbar crazy! Also ordered the Shiro sitting on Chessboard fig. Hilarious show! A bit ecchi but I don't mind at all  263a.png

Good titles :)
i liked Testament of new sister devil because of the action ? 

No game no life is awesome the movie is out soon :)

• Like 1