IGNORED

Anime Collection

jaferris

40 minutes ago, FN-2187 said:

Took a while for me to post it here- but a HUGE, HUGE thank you to @larson1977 for snagging me the Ultimate Collector's Edition of Bones Studios' 'Wolf's Rain'.

Lovely little surreal work beautifully adapted here in the US by fabulous ADR Director Mary Elizabeth McGlynn. 

My Pleasure buddy :)

Enjoy!

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Finally picked up the Korean Cowboy Bebop Steelbooks for a hefty price on http://www.asiandb.com/store/detail.php?num=22024

This was my first purchase from them, and I've heard nothing but sketchy things- so as a result, let me tell you what happened with me.

Order placed for Volume 1 ONLY on June 29th, at the time, I was informed that the item would ship out in 2-3 days. 

After 23 business days, I was informed that they actually DON'T have Volume 1 in stock, and that I would have to send them an additional $120USD for the Volume 2 (since they had volume 1 and 2 in stock).

After sending the requested money, it took another week before the item was dispatched. 

When I got it, I found out that the items were opened and pre-owned and not new. 
I contacted the customer service page, and was informed that all "Rare Items" should be expected to be second hand, even though this was not detailed anywhere when I placed my order. Furthermore, I am STILL trying to work this out with Customer Service because the item was not listed as a "Rare Item" when I placed my order. 

All in all- a huge headache. So while I did eventually get what I ordered, it was a hassle and I don't even know if it's worth it.

Honestly, if there wasn't a Cowboy Bebop reunion happening at NYCC'18 this year- I probably wouldn't have bothered. 

I also don't know what to do with this lenticular. I'm not keeping it on my shelf- so I might get rid of it.

IMG_7712.jpg

IMG_7713.jpg

IMG_7714.jpg

IMG_7715.jpg

• Like 3

Awards

^^ So very sad @FN-2187 to hear of the issues you went through.

I don't want to rub salt in the wound but I'm hoping you have heard of the special editions in the pipe?

One by Funimation and another by Anime Limited.

I don't have links handy right now but very easy to web search.

With those in mind, you may wish to unload this set sooner than later.

Sorry!!!

• Like 1

So, the LotGH sets are starting to show up at folk's houses and unfortunately, there's a few flies in the ointment it seems.

Nothing overly dramatic as yet. Some subs didn't make it to all discs (i.e. captions of who's who when they appear on screen) but all dialogue seems to be there at least.

Also, it seems Sentai did not receive the HD masters from Japan and had to upscale to 1080i what they did receive.

Good news is, it's best it has ever looked (outside Japan) but just a bit less than those who paid $800 expected.

Also, the set is drop dead gorgeous to behold.

I do not own it, so cannot obviously provide a personal opinion.

YMMV...?

• Thanks 1

On a personal front, still awaiting my "Parasyte" sets but received my "Black Lagoon" sets a couple of days ago and did a very quick peek at disc one.

heh, I'm in love already!

This is gonna be a hoot!

As @extantsrevenge said, I'm thinking I'm gonna want MORE when this series is done!  ?

As for new orders, I purchased "Basilisk" and "Night Raid" from Right Stuf this week. "Night Raid" is on sale for $10 (RS) and it's on limited release so when it's gone, it's gone!

Also, "No Game No Life: Zero" should be shipping soon so looking forward to the CE of that showing up.

As previously mentioned S-2 of "Sis New Devil: Burst" is delayed, maybe end Oct, possibly December?

That's all I got folks. Fill me in if ya have other news! ?

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★

@FN-2187 sorry to hear you had so much rouble, thanks for sharing your story. This will surely help others ?

1 hour ago, Grendel said:

So, the LotGH sets are starting to show up at folk's houses and unfortunately, there's a few flies in the ointment it seems.

Nothing overly dramatic as yet. Some subs didn't make it to all discs (i.e. captions of who's who when they appear on screen) but all dialogue seems to be there at least.

Also, it seems Sentai did not receive the HD masters from Japan and had to upscale to 1080i what they did receive.

Good news is, it's best it has ever looked (outside Japan) but just a bit less than those who paid $800 expected.

Also, the set is drop dead gorgeous to behold.

I do not own it, so cannot obviously provide a personal opinion.

YMMV...1f642.png

Errors on an $800 item..., anyway I have waited for this so long that I will not let it cloud my excitment ? Still the names appearing are important, I hope it's not many missing. Not the HD master, I don't really understand how these companies work. But I will judge for myself. Thanks for pointing out @Grendel.

Sentai posted a little Promo Unboxing and it's breathtaking

• Like 1

^^ Hey my dear friend @extantsrevenge;

I think having this GRAIL item is a coup to be proud of!

Sure there might be a few minor hiccups (and the forums will FLOOD with them!) but in the overall scheme of things, this is the best thing in the history of home owned anime to happen so, yeah, there's that...?

I still might get it, my resolve weakens daily....?

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1

Haha! Hey @Grendel- Yeah. I saw the new Funimation Set. 
The set comes with some cool stuff, the Vinyl is awesome, but the steelbook looked REALLY underwhelming- which is kind of what pushed me to hunt down the Korean Steelbook. 

Normally, what happens is I see what the U.S. markets are planning to release- and that motivates me to get any of the other editions. That's what happened when I saw Funimation release their edition of Wolf's Rain, Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199, and now Cowboy Bebop. 

Also I've mentioned this before, but every time you mention "Sentai" I don't think of the distributor, I think of the actual series in Japan. xD

• Like 2

Awards

^^ From what I've heard from a few other folk, most are awaiting to see what 'Anime Limited' brings to the table for Cowboy, as the Funi set has a lot of 'naf many folk don't care about (statues, LP's, picture cards, etc...).

I suspect it won't be cheap (what anime in 2018 is?) but I'm keeping my eye on the news sites...?

edit: oh, as for vinyl, that's a PLUS in my book as I have a $2k turntable, heh heh.

Edited by Grendel

For new orders, I have these in the pipe;

- Patlabor Ultimate: complete OVA series (new release coming) As far as giant mech animes go, there's just FAR too much out there to consider Gundam this late in the game and since I quite enjoyed the Patlabor films (got the Lenti Korean sets when they came out) I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the OVAs as well. ?

- Blood C and follow-up, Last Dark (I'd LOVE to get my hands on Blood+ but it's very pricey, especially for DVDs. Hopefully we see a Blu release in the near future, LONG overdue!!!)

- seriously thinking of grabbing the Fist of the North Star (film and OVA series)

- also seriously looking at grabbing the 1997 Berserk series + the Movie Trilogy. I've heard nothing good said about the "new" series so will give that a pass.

Hey @extantsrevenge my friend, any word on delivery status of your LotGH set? I've heard some folk say that during delivery the metal plate and the coins bounced loose and scratched up a few of their digipack covers. I sure hope you avoid that!

Hey @FN-2187, I'd love to hear of any new purchases from your end as well! You too @DarthEd and the rest of ya!

Cheers my friends! ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grendel said:

Hey @FN-2187, I'd love to hear of any new purchases from your end as well! You too @DarthEd and the rest of ya!

Cheers my friends! 1f600.png

Hi, @Grendel! I’m still waiting on my Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis steelbook. I feel like that’s been in the pipeline for far too long. I hope it gets released soon.

My most recent purchase was the Galaxy 999 collection at Nova a couple months ago, but I haven’t gotten around to watching it. Looking forward to it.

Before that, I think we’re talking 5 Centimeters Per Second from the same director as Your Name (whose name escapes me at the moment). If you haven’t 5 cm/s, I would call that a must-watch if you liked Your Name. It’s arguably even better, certainly more layered and complex.

I did see a couple animes in theaters this summer. Fireworks, Should We See It from the Side or Bottom? got poor reviews, but I liked it for the most part. The Night Is Short, but Walk on Girl is weird but very cool and kind of brilliant. I’ll probably be looking to add that to my collection and try to see other films from the same director.

Could someone explain what’s going on with FLCL? I thought they were making a continuation, but then I heard something about FLCL Alternative? Sounds like a reboot instead of a continuation.

• Like 2

Awards

Just now, DarthEd said:

@Grendel

Could someone explain what’s going on with FLCL? I thought they were making a continuation, but then I heard something about FLCL Alternative? Sounds like a reboot instead of a continuation.

I'll see what I can find out and will get back to ya buddy.

I like all your other items, very nice!

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★
5 hours ago, Grendel said:

Hey @extantsrevenge my friend, any word on delivery status of your LotGH set? I've heard some folk say that during delivery the metal plate and the coins bounced loose and scratched up a few of their digipack covers. I sure hope you avoid that!

They are with @Masterblaster and I already told him about that problem, he just has to find a large enough box to ship these. I hope it will happen soon, I want to have it in my hands so badly

giphy.gif

Also Berserk is simply amazing. The Manga is breathtaking. The Original Series is awesome, the Movies are great I just wish they had not used the strange Computer Animations. I have not seen the new Series yet, still some catching up to do.

• Like 1

HI @extantsrevenge glad to hear you heard about the "LotGH" loose items dilemma.

I'm sure @Masterblaster will pack it quite lovingly ?

Yeah, a friend on another forum was gushing over the Berserk Mangas and posted pics. Looks Like I'll definitely pick the first few up at least!\

As for the 'new' series, yes, the computer animation is so stilted and jarring that people were SCREAMING in rage.

They're still selling copies though so guess some don't care, they see "Berserk" and just gotta buy it.

I'll stick with the original, the movies and the manga, as you and others have suggested.

Cheers!

• Like 1

My "Parasyte The Maxim" sets just arrived!

I grabbed the Deluxe editions, as they were just a few dollars more than the reg eds at the time, so a nice deal there (pics are further up this page).

I ordered from "Rarewaves" via Amazon.ca and the bloody twits used a huge bubble mailer to put the 2 big box sets in!

Needless to say, the packaging was obliterated in transit. Fortunately, Canada Post placed the package inside a thick, clear plastic bag which prevented further damage.

Amazingly though, short of a couple of soft corners on one of the boxes, everything arrived unscathed!

I'll chalk that up to the durability of the cardboard boxes Sentai produced rather than the care shown in Rarewaves mail packaging though.

Cheers!

Ordered the '97 Berserk series today.

Based on recommendations, I ordered the MVM Blu-ray set from Amazon.uk. Got it for 25 quid (with VAT removed) so, sweet!

I'll probably order the Vizmedia Movie Trilogy later as well but since it is apparently, an encapsulation of the '97 series, no panic.

looks to have GREAT extras on the discs though!

Cheers!

Berserk uk.jpg

Berserk films.jpg

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★

Good choice @Grendel can't go wrong with Berserk ?

giphy.gif

Yes the movie trilogy is a retelling of the first Story Arc (which the original TV series also covers). It has beautiful animations but sadly also some (in my eyes) bad computer animations, which distract a little. But the story in itself is so powerful that you can live with that.

• Thanks 1