IGNORED

Anime Collection

jaferris

Just wanted to quickly mention, My "Blood-C" and "Blood-C Last Dark" showed up today, minty fresh.

I've ordered the dvd of the original anime "Blood: The Last Vampire" (got it for $8Cdn at Amz.ca). The Blu is going for stupid money right now and I'm very much hoping we see a resurgence of it and the "Blood+" animes in the not too distant future so, for a 45 minute show, the dvd will do just fine for now... ?

edit: Just wanted to mention, I for one quite enjoyed the LA movie, I thought both acting and atmosphere were well done! ?

And, I've never cared what critics think of a show.

Edited by Grendel

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, had a chance to buy a person's complete collection of anime today.

Unfortunately, it turns out he knew pretty much what it was worth, so our prices were a bit (um ok, a LOT different...? ).

None of it was actually very rare stuff but some very nice box sets ( and he had a LOT of stuff, as in 300+ titles)

Problem with trying to sell collections though, are as follows;

- unless they are rare, those whom might want them, already have them

- if they are relatively new titles, there's a sale going on somewhere

- this is a very eclectic market, you won't see the broad audience demand say, a Marvel Hero Steelbook enjoys, and

- Anime is EXPENSIVE, period. You are not gonna be able to recoup original price paid 90% of the time for popular titles.

These were all sobering thoughts I went through while haggling with the gentleman (no deal was reached) and I now gain a stronger appreciation for just how much money I'm investing in this hobby.

Anyway, wanted to share this experience with my friends here and possibly even get your thoughts on the matter.

All the best to ya! ?

edit: just as an aside, we can possibly take the same considerations wrt our Steelbook collections. Buy what ya love! You wanna make money, by stocks instead! ?

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★

Yeah, selling anime is not that easy. I don't want to think about all the loses I made on my DVD's when I upgarded to Blu-ray. I keep some DVD Sets simply because they look nice and will not get me any serious money back. It's very rare to be able to get a lot for an Anime, it has to be popular and OOP, but most items are in print all the time and the prices for new stuff is far less for Blu-ray than it was for DVD (when they put like 3-4 episodes on a disc). These days you can get complete series for really cheap.... only they items I want are expansive, like the LotGH Boxset ?

• Like 1

^^ Indeed, @extantsrevenge I hear ya.

I think I'm quite fortunate to actually choose this time to get into anime, since as you mentioned, the dvds were horrendously priced for what you got at the time. Now, 90% of the "good" stuff is out on Blu, is in box sets and far cheaper  than the old dvd days!

Winning! ?

There's still lots to come as well though (i.e. Blood+, Trigun, many others) and new releases that if weighed appropriately, can be good value.

I wish we would get news of the new 'Godzilla' trilogy anime coming out in an English friendly version.

I've heard it's not all that great but I love the Big G and will pick them up when they are at a good price someday.

heh, of course, now that I spent signifivcant coin on the "Hellsing Ultimate" set, Japan is releasing a SUPER Ultimate set, including one with a gorgeous Steelbook package.

Link:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Hellsing-Ultimate-I-X-Box-Blu-ray/dp/B07H5G9SNZ?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluraycom-22&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07H5G9SNZ&m=AN1VRQENFRJN5

Hellsing new.jpg

Exciting times ahead!

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1

"Could someone explain what’s going on with FLCL? I thought they were making a continuation, but then I heard something about FLCL Alternative? Sounds like a reboot instead of a continuation. "

Hey @DarthEd!

Just found this Youtube vid wrt to the new FLCL episodes.

I was hesitant to post the link but felt you need all the info that can be provided.

So, yeah, here's one take on what's going on my friend...?

Link:

• Thanks 1

Yeah, FLCL Progressive isn't getting great reviews, unfortunately. My understanding is that Progressive is the continuation of the original series. I'm still not sure what FLCL Alternative is exactly, but it sure sounds like a reboot, like what they did with Full Metal Alchemist or the new Ghost in the Shell series.

• Like 1

Awards

5 minutes ago, DarthEd said:

Yeah, FLCL Progressive isn't getting great reviews, unfortunately. My understanding is that Progressive is the continuation of the original series. I'm still not sure what FLCL Alternative is exactly, but it sure sounds like a reboot, like what they did with Full Metal Alchemist or the new Ghost in the Shell series.

Actually, FLCL Alternative is another continuation. Very confusing. http://flcl.wikia.com/wiki/FLCL_Alternative

• Like 1

Awards

Hi Friends!

I suspect most of you are aware but posting this to be sure.

StarBlazers 2199 Part 2 is now up for pre-order on the Amazon sites as well as on Right Stuf (probably a few other places as well).

If you purchased the Limited Edition Part 1 with chipboard box, this Pt 2 scanovo case will fit inside that box as well. ?

Pic;

StarBlazers 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Grendel said:

Hi Friends!

I suspect most of you are aware but posting this to be sure.

StarBlazers 2199 Part 2 is now up for pre-order on the Amazon sites as well as on Right Stuf (probably a few other places as well).

If you purchased the Limited Edition Part 1 with chipboard box, this Pt 2 scanovo case will fit inside that box as well. 1f642.png

Pic;

StarBlazers 2.jpg

As a personal HUGE fan of Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199, I was fairly excited to see WHAT the English dub would be like. 

I watched the first 8 episodes and I can safely say that it is not my favorite. I highly recommend watching Yamato 2199, it’s a fantastically well-paced and well-written series... but either watch it in it’s original Japanese with english subtitles- or don’t watch it at all.

• Like 2

Awards

Wanted to share some good news with the rest of you.

Courtesy of @FN-2187, I will soon be receiving a lovely piece of artwork Cowboy Bebop related.

It's signed by Steve Blum (Spike's VA) and FN scored it at a convention.

Hopefully, I'll be able to enjoy it a few days before my daughter snags it!  ?

Thanks again my friend!!!

CBB Spike.jpg

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, extantsrevenge said:

That's how you should watch all Anime 1f601.png

Rule of thumb SHOULD be- 
Watch all Anime in Japanese UNLESS the English Voice Acting Director is Mary E. McGlynn. 
If Mary E. McGlynn is the English ADR Director- THEN, and ONLY THEN, should you watch the English dub!

• Like 2

Awards

I own a significant amount of foreign (to me, meaning not English dominant) language films, not just anime, so reading subtitles while enjoying a show is second nature to me.

However, I can certainly understand some folk being out of their comfort zone watching films in a language not their own and relying on subs, as it can be distracting to the less practiced to read while watching.

I will never dismiss their concerns, as they are just as legitimate as the concerns I have for say, watching 4:3 full screen fliks on a wide screen or watching a colourized version of a B&W film (which I will always consider blasphemy ?).

Some folks just hate reading during a film. I get it.

I will personally, always try to watch a film in its' native language first and foremost and subs are not difficult to me at all. That didn't happen over night though.

I know none of you folk are actually being snobbish and it's all tongue-in-cheek but I have heard comments from people (in other forums) that actually think someone is a barbaric moron if they don't prefer subs. That, I cannot abide.

As for ADR Directors, I have little knowledge of who is who.

@FN-2187, could you perhaps make a short list of ones she (Mary E. McGlynn) is responsible for?

Ta! ?

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1

I started watching anime back when English dubs were generally awful and best avoided, so I will always default to watching with subs. There have been some very good English dubs though. Cowboy Bebop's English dub stands out (although I personally prefer the original Japanese voice actors), as does Samurai Champloo and GitS: SAC. Mary McGlynn will probably always be my preferred Colonel Kusangi.

Edited by DarthEd
  • Like 2

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★
3 hours ago, Grendel said:

Another order placed that in light of my recent posting is apropos;

From TOM; ($85usd)

Berserk: Guts (in new armour)

Release date; May 2019

Berserk fig.jpg

Oh, nice a figure. Try to stay away from the Prime-1 statues. Because when you see them you really want them ? ,they are so amazing, but expansive.

Happy to see that I'm in a crowd here that prefers subs. I try to watch everything in the original language and use subs (mostly english) on everything aside from English and German stuff. I think most of the time something is lost in Dub Versions, as they can't recreate the original acting 100%.

• Like 1

As to figures, As well as the "Guts" new fig I posted above, Right Stuf have a Griffith Figure coming out (a re-run I guess) as well, I might order.

Mind, since Griffith is more beautiful to look at than some gals I've gone out with in the past, I'm with mixed feelings about that! heh.  ?

Price is cheaper too, $60usd.

Release planned for: June 30, 2019

Pic;

Berserk Griffith.jpg

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2018 at 8:08 PM, Grendel said:

I own a significant amount of foreign (to me, meaning not English dominant) language films, not just anime, so reading subtitles while enjoying a show is second nature to me.

However, I can certainly understand some folk being out of their comfort zone watching films in a language not their own and relying on subs, as it can be distracting to the less practiced to read while watching.

I will never dismiss their concerns, as they are just as legitimate as the concerns I have for say, watching 4:3 full screen fliks on a wide screen or watching a colourized version of a B&W film (which I will always consider blasphemy 1f609.png).

Some folks just hate reading during a film. I get it.

I will personally, always try to watch a film in its' native language first and foremost and subs are not difficult to me at all. That didn't happen over night though.

I know none of you folk are actually being snobbish and it's all tongue-in-cheek but I have heard comments from people (in other forums) that actually think someone is a barbaric moron if they don't prefer subs. That, I cannot abide.

As for ADR Directors, I have little knowledge of who is who.

@FN-2187, could you perhaps make a short list of ones she (Mary E. McGlynn) is responsible for?

Ta! 1f642.png

On 9/18/2018 at 9:52 PM, DarthEd said:

I started watching anime back when English dubs were generally awful and best avoided, so I will always default to watching with subs. There have been some very good English dubs though. Cowboy Bebop's English dub stands out (although I personally prefer the original Japanese voice actors), as does Samurai Champloo and GitS: SAC. Mary McGlynn will probably always be my preferred Colonel Kusangi.

Mary E. McGlynn's first job as an ADR Director was for Cowboy Bebop. She directed the cast (she's now married to Steve Blum) differently from how most ADR Directors would at the time anime was being adapted in the 90's. Mary McGlynn was an actor by trade so her first and foremost concern was getting a convincing performance out of her Voice Actors, whereas most other ADR Directors at the time were more concerned with lip-syncing things perfectly. I really credit her direction on character performances on Cowboy Bebop to be THE reason why that show's English Dub is considered superior to the actual original Japanese version. 

She also did splendid work as an ADR Director on the Bones Studio series "Wolf's Rain". 

And while I'm not a fan of Naruto- I know she did the ADR Directing on Naruto: Shippuden.

She also did the English Dub on Appleseed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Awards

• 1 month later...

Hi my fellow Anime-fond Friends!

So, I've been spending money (again) like I had it and thought I'd list some newly acquired titles.

First;

- Aria: 3 season complete sets; on dvd, as the only Blus is a $400 (total) 'Kickstarter' purchase. I purchased the dvds from a friend whom purchased the Blus. It's a cute story about cute girls that want to be Gondola Pilots on a new planet called "new-Venicia". I bought it for my Grand-daughter and at $50 total, it was a steal! The sets are HUGE! With lots of bonuses including OVAs.

Next;

- 12 Kingdoms, and

- Gankutsuou.   These sets are also on dvd.

Next;

- Cowboy Bebop Blu-ray Special Edition Box Set, and

- Vision of Escaflowne complete series plus movie (Blu-ray).

Cheers! ?

• Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★

Nice new additions @Grendel you have added 2 series I especially like. 12 Kingdoms and Escaflowne. Both are absolutely terrific fantasy series. I just wanted to ask why you did not pick up the Blu-ray's for 12 Kingdoms but I saw Volume 1 & 3 are OOP and already expansive again. Anyway you will enjoy these a lot, sadly they don't do such visually stunning and complex Fantasy Animes these days anymore.

I have the feeling your Anime Collection is getting rather large ? ?

• Thanks 1