What did you watch last night???

Basil

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Nadam said:

I know I will probably be shunned for saying this, but I have not seen "It Follows". I plan on watching it soon, as I have heard remarkable things. In regards to "Smile", I feel THAT was a fantastic film compared to "Talk To Me", but that isn't saying that TTM is bad. With having more time to process things, I just feel the clout-chasing trope in modern day horror films is way overdone, and (to me) leads to a sense of unoriginality. That seems to be where my concern is with TTM, as I have seen it plenty of times before, but I do want to emphasize how incredibly creative the story and concept are, as that is where this film really shines.

It Follows is really good, I think you'd like it! Exciting that a sequel is being developed too.

Watched Talk To Me last night and really enjoyed it. I'm curious, what do you mean by clout-chasing trope? Talk To Me outshined Smile in my book, but fell a little below It Follows. Not knocking Smile either.

I felt Talk To Me's acting, cinematography, editing, and sound-design were all first rate. I kept seeing parallels to addiction and collegiate binge-drinking; whether or not that was intentional, I don't know—but for me it added some deeper meaning to the entire story. It gave an excuse for the characters to act the way they did, because there were some very dumb decisions on display here.

That ending was awesome, but I can't say much more than that without spoiling it.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, hansreinhardt said:

It Follows is really good, I think you'd like it! Exciting that a sequel is being developed too.

Watched Talk To Me last night and really enjoyed it. I'm curious, what do you mean by clout-chasing trope? Talk To Me outshined Smile in my book, but fell a little below It Follows. Not knocking Smile either.

I felt Talk To Me's acting, cinematography, editing, and sound-design were all first rate. I kept seeing parallels to addiction and collegiate binge-drinking; whether or not that was intentional, I don't know—but for me it added some deeper meaning to the entire story. It gave an excuse for the characters to act the way they did, because there were some very dumb decisions on display here.

That ending was awesome, but I can't say much more than that without spoiling it.

I think that is awesome that you had a great experience with this! It really is a fun movie to watch. I guess when I talk about the "clout-chasing" trope, I mainly refer to kids being stupid and always recording situations with their phones. Even outside of horror, it's just overused to me. I know it is a huge problem in reality, and movies just want to reference reality in some way, but so many modern day movies have most people just acting like mindless robots with their phones out instead of letting some characters be more unique.

Maybe I am just "old man yells at clouds", but it's a cheesy and overly used concept nowadays.

After the way you explained your perspective, I 100% agree with the parallels with addiction and such -- especially among kids. The ending scene really hits hard with that reality check.

• Like 3

Awards

2 minutes ago, Nadam said:

I think that is awesome that you had a great experience with this! It really is a fun movie to watch. I guess when I talk about the "clout-chasing" trope, I mainly refer to kids being stupid and always recording situations with their phones. Even outside of horror, it's just overused to me. I know it is a huge problem in reality, and movies just want to reference reality in some way, but so many modern day movies have most people just acting like mindless robots with their phones out instead of letting some characters be more unique.

Maybe I am just "old man yells at clouds", but it's a cheesy and overly used concept nowadays.

After the way you explained your perspective, I 100% agree with the parallels with addiction and such -- especially among kids. The ending scene really hits hard with that reality check.

imagine homer simpson GIF

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Veum said:

A celebrated literary scholar, seemingly happily married, embarks on an affair with a gorgeous stewardess, who is captivated by his charm and reputation.

That's right. It was an ok film. Obviously not Truffaut's best. I thought his wife was great in it and that ending 😳

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★
2 minutes ago, Nadam said:

Well the young people I’m around act this way (with their phones) quite a bit so I wasn’t particularly phased by it here. 

Indo think it will date the film (and others where this behavior is emphasized) as does any technology use in a then current film. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gary K said:

Well the young people I’m around act this way (with their phones) quite a bit so I wasn’t particularly phased by it here. 

Indo think it will date the film (and others where this behavior is emphasized) as does any technology use in a then current film. 

Agreed, it will date the film eventually. TTM would've worked just as well without that subtext and been more timeless in the long run.

The recording thing is ever-present these days; it's like on the Fourth of July, fireworks in the sky, and you see people recording them on their phones. Why would anyone ever revisit a vertical video of fireworks?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Gary K said:

I think a couple of generations just got waylaid by the 1-2 punch of smart phones and social media, completely bowled over, and that we’ll eventually learn to handle them better.  Maybe not.

Remember kids, there was a time when people thought cocaine wasn’t addictive.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

Just looked this up on IMDb; is the premise as unique as it sounds?

for sure I wasn't expecting folklore type horror I thought it was going to be something else based on the trailer that auto plays when you hover over the title on netflix. again though decent foreign horror flick

• Like 5

So I finally finished it.

IMG_0546.thumb.jpeg.2bc69f17d542d066155c66d21054be22.jpeg

Really enjoyed it again.  One of Chris Cooper’s best performances (it’s not Breach but it’s close) and all the supporting performances are great.  Kristofferson is great as a rotten bastard, Joe Morton (Miles Dyson from Terminator 2) and a guy named Ron Canada (great presence, strange that he hasn’t had more prominent roles) are really good in a subplot.

I really respect that it allowed its characters to make a very human choice at the end, kind of a brave writing decision.  You’ll know what I mean if you see it. Good stuff.

I’m also through 5 episodes of season 3 of The Boys.  It’s solid; I usually don’t like it when a show makes its real world analogues in current events this obvious but I’m curious to see where it goes.

• Like 4

🥤 🍿 🎬 📀

National Popcorn Day GIF by Angry Birds

Prime Video Chained (2012) ️ 

One day, Bob chooses a young mother and her 9-year-old son, Tim (Evan Bird). After killing the woman, he decides to keep the boy alive because he has a plan. He chains the child to a wall, forces him to do house chores, and makes him bury his victims after he's done with them. Bob also begins teaching him human anatomy to turn him into a serial killer. He uses different methods to manipulate the boy, which works well for a while until the day comes when the child is supposed to kill his first victim. Instead, he begins to bond with the girl, and his dark life takes an unexpected turn.

Rootin tootin Randolph Scott double-header DVR 🤠 

*Seven Men From Now (1956)     ️ 

A former sheriff hunts down the seven men who killed his wife.

Riding Shotgun (1954)     ️ 

When a stagecoach guard tries to warn a town of an imminent raid by a band of outlaws, the people mistake him for one of the gang

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

Just finished Super Mario Bros. (1993) 4K, and man what a fun experience! My Wife as a Mario fan never saw this growing up, so I got to introduce her to this. It is far from a great film, but you can't deny the creativity. 

Pros: 

- 4K looked wonderful to my eyes. Incredibly sharp details for skin and outfits. It could have been a bit sharper, but all in all, it was a splendid transfer. 4/5

- No real use of DNR that I was able to see. Film grain and such are practically in-tact, but not as obnoxious or distracting. To be honest, you don't notice it that much since it feels pretty refined. 

- AMAZING amount of special features!

Cons: 

- No HDR/DV. Even without HDR/DV, the movie is beautiful, but I do feel the vibrant colors, added brightness and such would have really brought Brooklyn and Koopa's city more to life. Regardless, still a great transfer!

- The workprint that supposedly has a new "HD" restoration is......incredibly disappointing. It is a total blurry mess, so I didn't see any "HD" anywhere. 

All in all, I do not regret this purchase one bit. I hope we get one with HDR/DV at some point in the future, but until then, this version was great. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

Awards

4 minutes ago, Nadam said:

Just finished Super Mario Bros. (1993) 4K, and man what a fun experience! My Wife as a Mario fan never saw this growing up, so I got to introduce her to this. It is far from a great film, but you can't deny the creativity. 

Pros: 

- 4K looked wonderful to my eyes. Incredibly sharp details for skin and outfits. It could have been a bit sharper, but all in all, it was a splendid transfer. 4/5

- No real use of DNR that I was able to see. Film grain and such are practically in-tact, but not as obnoxious or distracting. To be honest, you don't notice it that much since it feels pretty refined. 

- AMAZING amount of special features!

Cons: 

- No HDR/DV. Even without HDR/DV, the movie is beautiful, but I do feel the vibrant colors, added brightness and such would have really brought Brooklyn and Koopa's city more to life. Regardless, still a great transfer!

- The workprint that supposedly has a new "HD" restoration is......incredibly disappointing. It is a total blurry mess, so I didn't see any "HD" anywhere. 

All in all, I do not regret this purchase one bit. I hope we get one with HDR/DV at some point in the future, but until then, this version was great. 

spacer.png

Might have to pick this up after reading your review, would love to revisit the movie. Love when the grain is completely intact. The movie freaked me out when I was young 🤣

What’s the work print like aside from the video quality? Is it very different in terms of story? 

Looking forward to your Kindergarten Cop review. 

By the way—congrats on your 100th post, Nadam! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

Might have to pick this up after reading your review, would love to revisit the movie. Love when the grain is completely intact. The movie freaked me out when I was young 🤣

What’s the work print like aside from the video quality? Is it very different in terms of story? 

Looking forward to your Kindergarten Cop review. 

By the way—congrats on your 100th post, Nadam! 

The work print is basically just a rough draft by the editors, but I was really hoping it was going to look clear for an “HD” restoration. Some scenes and flow are a bit different from the theatrical cut, but that is about it. 

Also, thank you so much!

• Like 2

Awards

if you don't mind Korean flicks another solid watch. anytime I see Don Lee aka Ma Dong-seok I try to look into the film as he tends to be cast for a lot of good action films. I've watched him in other films such as train to busan the gangster the cop and the devil and unstoppable to name a few. I have to say South Korea Bollywood Japan China even Russia are putting out some really decent films I've see over the course of the last two years that have left me impressed. 

sxpra.jpg

• Like 3