IGNORED

UHD CLUB The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (UHD Club UC#30) (Colored Wooden Box) (4K UHD) [China]

ShadowWarrior

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Front artwork gives me Shadow of the Colossus vibes. I think it’s cool UC chose to bring forward the ‘epic journey’ aspect of the films rather than the usual character focused artwork.

I also agree that the back artwork is more eye-catching but it somehow seems appropriate that it is not on the front, where the vast landscapes look more fitting.

I think this will be a grower once live BS are posted.

• Like 7

The artwork reminds me of those art deco "Visit x location" posters. It's certainly unique LOTR artwork and nice to see something different which doesn't overlap at all with the HDZeta set (minus the back Alan Lee artwork of course, which I love).

I was hoping this was going to be a single release for each trilogy which would have been an instant purchase for me, so it's a shame it's now 6 sets in total across LOTR + Hobbit, as it will likely mean triple the cost 😔

• Like 5

Awards

8 minutes ago, Gary K said:

I think these will look better as we get more detailed shots.   I love the back covers and appreciate that they are trying something unique for the fronts.  

I didn’t want yet another copy of the floating heads or poster art that’s for sure. 

Details don’t save bad art though. Premiums 101

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• ★ Administrators ★
6 hours ago, TechSpec924 said:

@Gipsy Danger @Gary K @ukade2327

Did my GB request go through? I submitted for all three editions, but didn’t get the usual confirmation message screen. Just got kicked back out to the main thread after hitting Submit.

I think somebody else was having this same issue....

Invite sent.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gary K said:

And art is subjective.  Art appreciation 101. 

I don’t buy many premiums these days to keep a small collection, but I wanted these because the art felt true to form with the movies. Instead they stripped out the LOTR unique beauty and replaced it with paint by numbers elementary school felt shapes.

I can’t describe how disappointing this is and it’s by far some of the worst art I’ve ever seen on a UHD release. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

• ★ Administrators ★
1 minute ago, Chunkychimp said:

I don’t buy many premiums these days to keep a small collection, but I wanted these because the art felt true to form with the movies. Instead they stripped out the LOTR unique beauty and replaced it with paint by numbers elementary school felt shapes.

I can’t describe how disappointing this is and it’s by far some of the worst art I’ve ever seen on a UHD release. 

I appreciate your disappointment even if I don’t share it.   

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, ncraft said:

A few years ago, I read that UHD Club are limited on how many colors that can be used at once on these wooden boxes. The post/article I read mentioned 4-6 colors. If this is correct, maybe that is the reason for this particular art choice, and others.

I'm not saying you're remembering incorrectly my man, for sure . . . but, my work has been printed in magazines and books with a 4 color commercial process forever, and it can reproduce incredible detail and color.  I've also had some special retail installations that included other industrial materials including metal, glass, wood.  So, while possible, it seems improbable that this design choice was used because of printing technical limitations.  I'm open to being wrong, however.  Just my experience.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Chunkychimp said:

Ty Gary. 

also it’d be immensely funny if I complained this much and got cut from the GB because I’m untiered

🤣  I greatly appreciate the humor Bud, but I genuinely hope you get yours and you like them a lot better in hand.   I know that feeling when you're looking forward to something and it doesn't hit the mark.

• Like 4