IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Reagh said:

Good morning psychos! I hope everyone has a great and prosperous day!

@Hecko @Veum @MikeH5856 @Gary K @nmskyler0405 

Thank you all for the kind words about little Gordon Cole  

607D7117-7625-47A0-8A31-410C527DA174.gif.34ba13196182657c8d29915e6409126b.gif

Thanks, @Reagh! I hope the kitty is doing well and enjoy his new home. And that your dogs are surviving the experience! 🤣

• Like 4

On 7/26/2022 at 11:24 PM, damships said:

Anyone else see NOPE? Thoughts? Looking Up Jordan Peele GIF by NOPE

Seems like I missed a good Nope conversation. 

Let me start by saying that I am not a horror person. At all. I don't care for goriness and the disturbing imagery that often accompany the films in this genre. 

That being said, I will occasionally branch out if I hear good things (ex: A Quiet Place). I felt like watching something a little different the other day and decided to give Nope a try on opening day (during the daytime hours 😂) after hearing so many good things about Peele and his previous releases. The news that a teaser for Oppenheimer would play before the film also helped to get me in that theater. 

I wound up really enjoying it. It was mostly devoid of those things that I hate about the genre and has a great story to boot. As @Gary K mentioned, there are definitely several (and important) things not spoiled by the trailers and I found them to be incredibly creative. I honestly wasn't able to examine it much because I was bracing for a jump scare or something that I would not enjoy. I like to compare horrors/thrillers to roller coasters in that, for the first viewing or ride, I'm just trying to get through it. I then am more free to analyze and enjoy them on subsequent viewings. I'm fairly certain that I will wind up enjoying this one even more once I get the chance to see it again.

Those of you in the know, would you say that Get Out and Us are similar imagery wise to Nope? If so, I'll have to check those out as well.

Also, for those who have seen, I have some plot concerns/questions...

Spoiler

Are we to assume the alien has been on Earth for a while? I'm basing this off of how Kaluuya's father died with the falling debris.

This thing was supposedly deterred by the flags based on its' previous experience eating them. Kaluuya's character even used them to protect himself a little bit. Why then did it eat the inflatable at the end? It had MANY flags attached to it and seemed to go after it without much hesitation.

Why did this thing change form near the end? For what purpose? Is it just for the "spectacle"?

• Like 2

‘Ol Veum is getting easily fatigued ☹️ doing outdoor chores then he is use to 😏

went out on this very hot day as weather report was waaaayyyy off today, no rain clouds it is sunny 🌞, humid & hot 🥵 to do some mowing front yard, tried backyard but said heck with it as it is not even tall enough to mow 😛  🙃

200.gif Tired Tv Land GIF by TV Land Classic

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Let me start by saying that I am not a horror person. At all. I don't care for goriness and the disturbing imagery that often accompany the films in this genre. 

That being said, I will occasionally branch out if I hear good things (ex: A Quiet Place). I felt like watching something a little different the other day and decided to give Nope a try on opening day (during the daytime hours 😂) after hearing so many good things about Peele and his previous releases. The news that a teaser for Oppenheimer would play before the film also helped to get me in that theater. 

I wound up really enjoying it. It was mostly devoid of those things that I hate about the genre and has a great story to boot. As @Gary K mentioned, there are definitely several (and important) things not spoiled by the trailers and I found them to be incredibly creative. I honestly wasn't able to examine it much because I was bracing for a jump scare or something that I would not enjoy. I like to compare horrors/thrillers to roller coasters in that, for the first viewing or ride, I'm just trying to get through it. I then am more free to analyze and enjoy them on subsequent viewings. I'm fairly certain that I will wind up enjoying this one even more once I get the chance to see it again.

Those of you in the know, would you say that Get Out and Us are similar imagery wise to Nope? If so, I'll have to check those out as well.

Reveal hidden contents

Are we to assume the alien has been on Earth for a while? I'm basing this off of how Kaluuya's father died with the falling debris.

This thing was supposedly deterred by the flags based on its' previous experience eating them. Kaluuya's character even used them to protect himself a little bit. Why then did it eat the inflatable at the end? It had MANY flags attached to it and seemed to go after it without much hesitation.

Why did this thing change form near the end? For what purpose? Is it just for the "spectacle"?

I’m glad you enjoyed it! I would say NOPE is definitely much more of a spectacle kind of film compared to Get Out and Us. I’d definitely recommend watching those though! 

I want to respond to your hidden comments, but have no idea how to hide my comments on phone or PC. 😭

• Like 2

Awards

The silence and the noise of the nature... 

The family. 

Great food. 

A lot of time to be wasted and enjoyed. 

The sky. So many stars. 

The feeling of being coming back home. 

Because hombre it's that, this feeling within your people. Not the place. 

I hope all you have something like this. Somewhere. 

Good night. 

• Like 5

• ★ Administrators ★
10 hours ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Hide contents

Great to read your thoughts per usual.   

I highly recommend both Get Out and Us and Peele certainly has a keen eye for memorable cinematic imagery.  That said, Nope is on another level when it comes to big screen cinematography with Hoyte van Hoytwema shooting it.  Van Hoytema is a master of shooting natively on IMAX having shot Interstellar, Dunkirk and Tenet for Nolan and he really elevates the spectacle of Nope.  

Spoiler

As for your spoiler questions:

1 - yes It seemed pretty clear Jean jacket was responsible for OJ’s fathers death at the beginning with the way the horses reacted and the debris. 
2- I think it ate the inflatable June because it had big eyes that were “looking” at it. 
3 - I interpreted the change of form as a reaction to being angry and wanting to assume a more threatening visage, but that’s just my take.  It could have just been because it looked utterly amazing   

• Like 2

Poured a cup of coffee, turn around to put the cream back in the fridge, picked up the cup...and saw that, in that brief moment I had my back turned, a fly had immediately killed itself in my drink. I guess it's going to be that kind of day...

Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

On the bright side, I got my pre-registration info submitted the Nolan Batman BluFans, so it's not been a complete wash!

• Haha 7

Hi all, been a minute since I last graced this room. Hope everyone is well.

It’s just occurred to me that whilst Love and Thunder is out now at Cinemas and has been for a while, there has been No announcements regarding a WWA steelbook? We usually get the obligatory pre-order emails on day one of the cinema releases, but not a sausage.

Does this suggest that Disney are not only playing hardball with licensing for premiums, but also steelbooks as a whole??

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Pbsw23 said:

Hi all, been a minute since I last graced this room. Hope everyone is well.

It’s just occurred to me that whilst Love and Thunder is out now at Cinemas and has been for a while, there has been No announcements regarding a WWA steelbook? We usually get the obligatory pre-order emails on day one of the cinema releases, but not a sausage.

Does this suggest that Disney are not only playing hardball with licensing for premiums, but also steelbooks as a whole??

I think it's been a while since they've done pre-orders alongside the theatrical release. I remember walking out of the first Avengers and pre-ordering it soon as I got back to my car. Those days are long gone, unfortunately! It takes a while now before we see anything, let alone a steelbook. I imagine they have to look through all the promo art materials and figure out which one's the worst one they could use for the retail steel, and that takes time. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

I think it's been a while since they've done pre-orders alongside the theatrical release. I remember walking out of the first Avengers and pre-ordering it soon as I got back to my car. Those days are long gone, unfortunately! It takes a while now before we see anything, let alone a steelbook. I imagine they have to look through all the promo art materials and figure out which one's the worst one they could use for the retail steel, and that takes time. 🤣🤣🤣

Really? Pretty sure this still happens in the UK. In fact I’m almost convinced they did it for Eternals & Multiverse of Madness. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1