IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Veum said:

@Veum

I haven't bought Disney Plus yet. I'm still on the fence about rather I want the service or not, so I haven't seen the show yet, but I have heard nothing but positive feedback. Most of my Star Wars loving buddies say it's so far the best Star Wars produce product that Disney has done.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

@Veum

I haven't bought Disney Plus yet. I'm still on the fence about rather I want the service or not, so I haven't seen the show yet, but I have heard nothing but positive feedback. Most of my Star Wars loving buddies say it's so far the best Star Wars produce product that Disney has done.

@Hollywood E Rock

Yeah I signed up for just this purpose (I do not know if it is worth it or not other then The Mandalorian for me, cause “Will I even watch much else here on Disney+? 🤔)

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Veum said:

@Hollywood E Rock

It is not just today or yesterday this has happened, it it happening more & more 😔 

@Veum

It's no big deal, the traffic on the site goes up & down all the time. It usually isn't consistent. Eventually we will be back to having $hit posting parties! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Veum said:

@Casiusco,

i don't believe you anchorman GIF

Are you implying that you have no faith in @Hollywood E Rock and me?

giphy.gif

Are you saying... you don't think it's possible Scarlett to invite us to her private parties?

-a6Q9h_b_DCAoIfNGKPbsHwS-D3bdjv7lac2H-ZW

I am very disappointed.

With all the appreciation @Hollywood E Rock and I have for you, @Veum. If even when Scarlett told us that she had a serious problem putting all her shoes in the wardrobe room, and asked us if we knew of someone used to placing thousands of collectibles on shelves... somebody able to help her ... we told her about you!

Any day she calls you on the phone so you can advise her to put her shoes on ..

And maybe later she asks for your advice to sort other things in his wardrobe ...

It could be the beginning of a great friendship ...

90sCasablanca.gif

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

@Casiusco

giphy.gif

I would go into great detail about our experience 

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

But

giphy.gif

I'm agree. It's classified... You do it well!

By the way, Scarlett has sent me a WhatsApp telling me that she tried to call you, but you still won't pick up the phone.

Dude, you can't be angry forever. Forgive her. Now. Okay, she confused the "Jaws" HDZeta Edition with that of Filmarena, but ... it's not that bad, we had been drinking for several hours, and I didn't know what it was saying. Besides, I think that when she got out of the pool she get cold.... and the confusion as understandable... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Veum said:

I’m trying to drum up some enthusiasm here on our forum...

amybeth mcnulty dancing GIF

It is something we should all be grateful for.

giphy-26.gif

I haven't seen The Mandalorian yet. Well, I watched the first few chapters, and I want to see the remaining chapters, but I wasn't so excited. I need to start again with more time. ¡And alone! ;)

Still, a very good idea, let's try to make that thread take some flight, let's see if we get it:

- Episode III is one of the three best chapters of the entire saga.

- Episode III was unfairly ignored in awards season. Watching the films and professionals awarded that year, it is clear that it was not by chance.

- George Lucas did very well changing and updating the original trilogy. He is the creator, it is his world, and he has - or had - the right to do so.

- Many people hate Jar Jar Binks, they say he's chindish, but if you see the Ewooks calmly ..........

- Disney executives have no idea of cinema. Just money.

- Lucas was absolutely right when he spoke of "white slavers", talking about what they had done with "their saga".

- Episodes 7, 8 and 9 are entertaining, but could have been episodes of any saga of the moment. They have no soul, they are not special, they are not original, and no one would continue to remember them 40 years from now if it were not for others. In them force is no longer something that beats in the world; it's just the magic power of the next super hero.

- Kathleeen Kennedy is younger and knows more about cinema each day. 

And if you really want to animate the thread, start criticizing Marvel, you'll see what we made !!! :P 

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

@Veum

Sometimes I think that the worse Disney+ does, the more future the physical format has ...

I don't have Disney+ either. I will subscribe to finish watching "Thr Mandalorian", and little else. They don't have an interesting catalog, they don't have anything that I don't already have at home or on other platforms/ways, and honestly, I don't like their censorship on some films and scenes.

Disney is now just a corporation. It is no longer what it was. It's closer to being Weyland Yutani than Disney itself.

• Like 4

vor 11 Minuten schrieb Casiusco:

I haven't seen The Mandalorian yet. Well, I watched the first few chapters, and I want to see the remaining chapters, but I wasn't so excited. I need to start again with more time. ¡And alone! ;)

Still, a very good idea, let's try to make that thread take some flight, let's see if we get it:

- Episode III is one of the three best chapters of the entire saga.

- Episode III was unfairly ignored in awards season. Watching the films and professionals awarded that year, it is clear that it was not by chance.

- George Lucas did very well changing and updating the original trilogy. He is the creator, it is his world, and he has - or had - the right to do so.

- Many people hate Jar Jar Binks, they say he's chindish, but if you see the Ewooks calmly ..........

- Disney executives have no idea of cinema. Just money.

- Lucas was absolutely right when he spoke of "white slavers", talking about what they had done with "their saga".

- Episodes 7, 8 and 9 are entertaining, but could have been episodes of any saga of the moment. They have no soul, they are not special, they are not original, and no one would continue to remember them 40 years from now if it were not for others. In them force is no longer something that beats in the world; it's just the magic power of the next super hero.

- Kathleeen Kennedy está cada día más joven. 

And if you really want to animate the thread, start criticizing Marvel, you'll see what we made !!! :P 

I completely agree with you on Episode III. The gradual seduction of Anakin by Palpatine alone is a marvel to behold. I also appreciate that Lucas didnt shy away from making the tone adequately dark.

As bad as Ep. I and II are, Ep III is a worthy entry in the series. As a matter of fact "my" trilogy is EP III - V. 

Episode VI would be much better if you´d get rid of the Ewoks. They serve no real dramatic purpose but upping the cuteness factor and the long winded scenes on Endor always stop the movies momentum.

Disney unfortunately has degraded to a cash grabbing company with no real interest of making good, lasting, let alone challenging movies anymore. 

Once they offered the finest meals, no they resort to junkfood so to speak. However, its not only their fault, a big part are todays audience who apparently are satisfied with these loud, colourful, shallow outputs.

I love a crowdpleaser as much as the next guy but I also miss movies that relied on intricate stories and characters, dont tell me what to make of them or sometimes simply left me speechless.

Junkfood has its merits occasionally but after a while it gets dull and unhealthy.

• Like 5

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Casiusco said:

Are you implying that you have no faith in @Hollywood E Rock and me?

giphy.gif

Are you saying... you don't think it's possible Scarlett to invite us to her private parties?

-a6Q9h_b_DCAoIfNGKPbsHwS-D3bdjv7lac2H-ZW

I am very disappointed.

With all the appreciation @Hollywood E Rock and I have for you, @Veum. If even when Scarlett told us that she had a serious problem putting all her shoes in the wardrobe room, and asked us if we knew of someone used to placing thousands of collectibles on shelves... somebody able to help her ... we told her about you!

Any day she calls you on the phone so you can advise her to put her shoes on ..

And maybe later she asks for your advice to sort other things in his wardrobe ...

It could be the beginning of a great friendship ...

90sCasablanca.gif

No @Casiusco just wondering why I was not called, all you had to do was have a 3-way call hehe 🙃 

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Casiusco said:

I know I haven't posted all day, but the last 72 hours have been tremendous. @Hollywood E Rockand I were at Scarlett's birthday party, and we've come back very tired. Really, really tired.

In fact, it has a lot of merit that coming directly from the airport... he has gone to take pictures of his neighbors for you... without sleeping !! ...

That's a real Psycho.

tenor.gif?itemid=8838578

;) 

wait wait wait... The fact that i didnt even get included in this hurts. @Hollywood E Rock i better be the second person getting a text next year for an invitation to Scarletts Birthday party.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, hal56 said:

Disney unfortunately has degraded to a cash grabbing company with no real interest of making good, lasting, let alone challenging movies anymore. 

Once they offered the finest meals, no they resort to junkfood so to speak. However, its not only their fault, a big part are todays audience who apparently are satisfied with these loud, colourful, shallow outputs.

I love a crowdpleaser as much as the next guy but I also miss movies that relied on intricate stories and characters, dont tell me what to make of them or sometimes simply left me speechless.

Junkfood has its merits occasionally but after a while it gets dull and unhealthy.

I recently read an article where it was said that most teenagers today no longer even knew Spielberg, only "Ready Player One" and some of his latest movies. And in this issue, Disney, as the corporation that has the largest catalog on the planet, is both a cause and a consequence: they no longer makes films beyond "fast food cinema", which we all need from time to time ... but not always; and at the same time by accustoming the new audience to just that, they can also say that they are not asked for other things, other kind of films.

It's a problem. And serious.

This is also influenced by the lack of freedom of people when it comes to choosing, when it comes to contributing to our own culture: 20 years ago everyone watched what they wanted, now with everyone connected to streaming, the majority you can see is dictated by a programmer from Burbank, or wherever. And the horizons are getting narrower; we trade freedom for comfort.

Both in the way we access the films, as in their content, and in the challenges this propose to us.

And in this context, the role of Disney is being terrible. It is clearly seen, without need to going any further, in what they offer to children around the world, making them idiots, only trying that they are compulsive consumers, easy to carry and superficials; the more dependent the better.

And this connects with controversial Scorsese's words about Marvel-type movies. It's a message that goes beyond considering that Marvel movies are better or worse: this message warns us that we are changing cinema for amusement parks, and those "intricate stories and characters" that you used to say are totally forgotten. Or the cinematographic -and intellectual- challenges that they proposed. Our relationship with reality.

But Disney no longer cares about making good movies or bad movies. In fact, if their market research finds that something terrible -or ridiculous- can lead to good ticket sales, marketing, and better position to Disney on social media, they will. There's no doubt.

I even recently read another article where was commented that a very famous actor -I think it was Michael Douglas, I don't remember that well- had been denied making a movie with only $ 25 million in budget, saying: "Those movies are no longer made".

It's the sector, it's the world; we all. But in this swarm, obviously Disney has a very important role, and a very influential one; for better or worse. And right now it's a financial company that has nothing to do with cinema.

And the disaster they have made with the last Star Wars trilogy, taking the most important saga in history, and leaving it at the height of the typical forgettable blockbuster trendy of the moment, taking away all its majesty, taking away the "force" that beat inside, it can only be done ... by being very clumsy, or by making decisions with polls, market research, and marketing research in hand. But nothing more.

In the case of Star Wars, at least this has served to make people understand the difference between a good director and a filmmaker; between an executive and a craftsman. Even between a storyteller and something like a showrunner. And, for me, even the least inspired George Lucas would have done better. Maybe it would not have been the film most in line with current standards, it would not have been a "trendy" movie, and it may have included a few things that I don't like, or that I could hate it, I know; but it would have been three StarWars movies.

And I'm sure this three movies couldn't be confused with the others.

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Count Dantes said:

wait wait wait... The fact that i didnt even get included in this hurts. @Hollywood E Rock i better be the second person getting a text next year for an invitation to Scarletts Birthday party.

Do not be angry. We were talking about it, but to avoid problems, or make people jealous, we decided not to bring anyone.

Next year we are going to do better: we are going to open a GB!!!!

• Haha 2

A nice discussion here.

I'd like to offer my own two cents:

I'm in agreement with both @Casiusco and @hal56 on the merits of Revenge of the Sith (I'd also highly recommend the novelisation by Matthew Stover, which nicely expands upon that which is explored in the film and enhances your appreciation for both the film and for what Lucas was attempting, which, without sounding blasphemous, is akin to The Godfather in Space).

You two also echo my own sentiments with regards to Disney and the lack of proper care with their recent output, particularly with the sequel trilogy (despite being entertaining as @Casiusco pointed out) and their disregard for their catalogue of classic films which may not see the light of day of physical media anytime soon.

However, where I'll depart is in the assessment of Return of the Jedi, which I'm bias towards as it's my favourite of the original trilogy. xD

While I'll concede to the Ewoks' inclusion as a potential marketing gimmick to sell toys, I think there is also something to be said for their incorporation into the story as a nice and sharp counterpoint to the tragedy and darkness inherent in the Luke/Vader/Palpatine plot thread.

I think that balancing of various tones, also present in the two films preceding it, is part of what makes the OT special for me and stand out that much more when compared to the attempts to replicate that tonal juggle in the sequel trilogy (as is most evident in The Last Jedi's struggle to balance tone).

I also like that it is in tune with the spirit of the underdog going up against an overwhelmingly powerful enemy (which nicely parallels Luke's own plight in going up against Vader/Palpatine), which I think is also part of the beating heart of Star Wars. It gives us a glimpse into those who aren't part of a particular bloodline or cause, but who are just as invested in seeing to it that good prevails in the galaxy.

It further adds a sense of scope to the galaxy, of a world outside the confines of the story playing out before us; another thing which I think the sequel trilogy struggles with.

Edited by Fortis93
  • Like 6