IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

4 hours ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Our plan . .  continue care for the dog who had cancer surgery and is a handful right now.  Poor thing.  Hard to watch her so uncomfortable, but everyday gets a bit better.

So sorry to hear your dog is ill, I'm sure that's really tough to see, me and my dogs are sending best wishes to yours! 

• Like 4

• Replies 30.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

🤠 howdy y’all, I was wondering can we ever get this English Room jump started at all 🙏 

in love lol GIF by Disney Pixar

… it is literally a empty desert daily!! 😔 

Laugh Lol GIF by PG Tips

Anywho have a fantastic start of the week! 🙋🏻‍♂️ 

Monsters Inc Monday GIF by Disney Pixar

0%
Mild with plenty of sunshine

RealFeel®60°

RealFeel Shade™57°

Max UV Index5 Moderate

WindSW 9 mph

• Like 4

Good afternoon, everybody.

Yesterday I was watching the Oscar Ceremony, and as for films I have no complaints, they won more or less the ones I think they should win. Maybe the worst thing was that Scorsese left without awards, he has 29 nominations in his last 4 films, and zero Oscars. Not fair, not consistent.

But I was also happy about the awards to "Anatomy of a fall" and "Zona of interest", two great films. 

Still, the worst thing was the general lack of spontaneity, we are in a world where everything has to be so correct that nobody does or says anything. Thank goodness Al Pacino came along and reminded us what it's like to go off script. :D 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952qw0gjh41qeypwtw30i

By the way, I found Jimmy Fallon very boring. He takes less risks than my grandmother in her wheelchair. 

It's about time the Oscars (also) hire Ricky Gervais. And every man for himself. ;) 

Have a nice evening!!

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

Happy to see Nolan get the big win.

He should have won some more before. I'm not even sure this is his best film. But it was certainly his best. 

For some reason I don't know, the great filmmakers have a harder time winning an Oscar: Kubrick died without winning one for best director, Lynch has never won, Ridley Scott never won, Nolan never won until now... and yet then you see lesser films where lesser directors either win easily.

For example, last year, with "Everything Everywhere All at Once".... I think we all had a great time watching it, but... did the directors really deserve more than Nolan, Kubrick, Scott or Lynch?

I don't think so.

But no one has said this business is fair.

At least Nolan already has one. And he deserved more. 

(Thinking of films that have been awarded these years, and that.... Interstellar was ignored...)

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

He should have won some more before. I'm not even sure this is his best film. But it was certainly his best. 

For some reason I don't know, the great filmmakers have a harder time winning an Oscar: Kubrick died without winning one for best director, Lynch has never won, Ridley Scott never won, Nolan never won until now... and yet then you see lesser films where lesser directors either win easily.

For example, last year, with "Everything Everywhere All at Once".... I think we all had a great time watching it, but... did the directors really deserve more than Nolan, Kubrick, Scott or Lynch?

I don't think so.

But no one has said this business is fair.

At least Nolan already has one. And he deserved more. 

(Thinking of films that have been awarded these years, and that.... Interstellar was ignored...)

I believe to keep the integrity of the award shows it’s important not to just give out awards just because creators are good at their jobs. What I mean by this is that Nolan, Kubrick, Scott, or Lynch don’t deserve any awards just because they’re consistent. A director can make a great film every time they produce a story, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they made the best film of the year.

If me & you get together and create a film around the same time as the mentioned directors & our film is objectively the better made movie we should be the ones awarded. We may never direct anything wonderful after our win, but that doesn’t matter. Our award should symbolize that we created objectively the best film the year we won.

The mentioned directors may be overall the better directors, because they are more consistent, but being great all the time doesn’t automatically equal greatest, or very best in a given award year. Nobody should be winning awards just, because prestige is attached to their body of work. Lifetime award maybe.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

I believe to keep the integrity of the award shows it’s important not to just give out awards just because creators are good at their jobs. What I mean by this is that Nolan, Kubrick, Scott, or Lynch don’t deserve any awards just because they’re consistent. A director can make a great film every time they produce a story, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they made the best film of the year.

If me & you get together and create a film around the same time as the mentioned directors & our film is objectively the better made movie we should be the ones awarded. We may never direct anything wonderful after our win, but that doesn’t matter. Our award should symbolize that we created objectively the best film the year we won. The mentioned directors may be overall the better directors, because they are more consistent, but being great all the time doesn’t automatically equal greatest, or very best in a given award year. 

Do you mean… Edward?! 🤨 😝 

Im Confused What The Hell GIF by Regal

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

Yesterday I was watching the Oscar Ceremony, and as for films I have no complaints, they won more or less the ones I think they should win. Maybe the worst thing was that Scorsese left without awards, he has 29 nominations in his last 4 films, and zero Oscars. Not fair, not consistent.

He is an old gatekeeping bastard who doesn’t need anymore awards to inflate his already large ego. His a$$ gets kissed enough, & him being nominated should be enough validation that he can still create some of the best films around.

But I was also happy about the awards to "Anatomy of a fall" and "Zona of interest", two great films. 

These films went past my radar until award season. I have them both on my todo list now though so I will be viewing them in the near future. Looking forward to seeing them.

Still, the worst thing was the general lack of spontaneity, we are in a world where everything has to be so correct that nobody does or says anything. Thank goodness Al Pacino came along and reminded us what it's like to go off script. :D 

By the way, I found Jimmy Fallon very boring. He takes less risks than my grandmother in her wheelchair. 

It's about time the Oscars (also) hire Ricky Gervais. And every man for himself. ;) 

Have a nice evening!!

Yeah show/movie runners across all media put way too much effort into playing it safe. People’s outrage does appear to be larger than times before, but that’s only, because social media magnifies voices. A piece of Art dies when you’re focusing too much on how the public will digest it. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

He is an old gatekeeping bastard who doesn’t need anymore awards to inflate his already large ego. His a$$ gets kissed enough, & him being nominated should be enough validation that he can still create some of the best films around.

These films went past my radar until award season. I have them both on my todo list now though so I will be viewing them in the near future. Looking forward to seeing them.

Yeah show/movie runners across all media put way too much effort into playing it safe. People’s outrage does appear to be larger than times before, but that’s only, because social media magnifies voices. A piece of Art dies when you’re focusing too much on how the public will digest it. 

And now (almost) everything is focused on how the public will digest it.....

And instead of actors/directors we ended up with puppets.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

If me & you get together and create a film around the same time as the mentioned directors & our film is objectively the better made movie we should be the ones awarded. We may never direct anything wonderful after our win, but that doesn’t matter. Our award should symbolize that we created objectively the best film the year we won.

The mentioned directors may be overall the better directors, because they are more consistent, but being great all the time doesn’t automatically equal greatest, or very best in a given award year. Nobody should be winning awards just, because prestige is attached to their body of work. Lifetime award maybe.

I sympathize with you, and I think you're right. But, at the same time, I find it very hard to believe that certain films were not the best of their year, or, in many cases, were not even good enough to be nominated.

I get the impression that much more is demanded of the big names: they don't have to make the film of the year, they have to make it a masterpiece. If it's not a resounding victory, they can't win.

To think, for example, that "2001, A Space Odyssey" was never nominated for Best Picture; or that "Mulholland Drive" barely had any nominations, is strange to say the least. Weren't they the best of their year? Maybe not, but... then you see what was the most important film of the year, and you think: #%-$%%%$%$%!!!!

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

Scorsese an old gatekeeping bast*rd with a large ego? since when, exactly? Sorry to say, but such a statement shows that you don't know at all what that man stands for.

There is hardly a single filmmaker in Hollywood that possesses the encyclopedic knowledge that Scorsese has about cinema, much less able to talk about their art with such passion and infectious enthusiasm.

I've watched countless interviews with the man and never once did he come across as arrogant or condenscending. Furthermore, quite a few classic films would have remained obscure to the public if it hadn't been for his direct involvement (and often financial support) in having them restored and finally receive the recognition they deserve.

What he said about Marvel movies 'not being art' was an honest statement given by a lover of the medium who grew frustrated with the state of movie-making in Hollywood, a sentiment shared by many of his peers and movie-goers alike. He said himself he actually tried to watch a few of them but soon realized they offered him very little in terms of rewarding viewing experiences.

Scorsese never made movies to get awards and I'm willing to bet that he had a good chuckle himself when he got the Best Director Oscar for The Departed, knowing very well he got the 'ultimate validation' for one of his lesser works. Personally, I saw this as an insult and yet another reason why I no longer bother to watch this joke of a ceremony.

• Like 9

• ★ Administrators ★
6 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

Scorsese an old gatekeeping bast*rd with a large ego? since when, exactly? Sorry to say, but such a statement shows that you don't know at all what that man stands for.

There is hardly a single filmmaker in Hollywood that possesses the encyclopedic knowledge that Scorsese has about cinema, much less able to talk about their art with such passion and infectious enthusiasm.

I've watched countless interviews with the man and never once did he come across as arrogant or condenscending. Furthermore, quite a few classic films would have remained obscure to the public if it hadn't been for his direct involvement (and often financial support) in having them restored and finally receive the recognition they deserve.

What he said about Marvel movies 'not being art' was an honest statement given by a lover of the medium who grew frustrated with the state of movie-making in Hollywood, a sentiment shared by many of his peers and movie-goers alike. He said himself he actually tried to watch a few of them but soon realized they offered him very little in terms of rewarding viewing experiences.

Scorsese never made movies to get awards and I'm willing to bet that he had a good chuckle himself when he got the Best Director Oscar for The Departed, knowing very well he got the 'ultimate validation' for one of his lesser works. Personally, I saw this as an insult and yet another reason why I no longer bother to watch this joke of a ceremony.

Agreed re: Marty.  He is not an egotistical gatekeeper whatsoever.  

The thing with awards is that they are an opinion writ large frozen in time.  So the academy of 1990 didn't think goodfellas was best picture.  All that means is that those in the academy at that time (which is, obviously, very different than the academy today) didn't agree.  The Oscars always have been and always will be a reflection of the state of "Hollywood" at a given moment and NOT a statement on what might be objectively "best" if such a conclusion is even possible about art.

Personally, I find the oscars entertaining for what they are and worthless in terms of what I personally like or dislike.  I'm not in the academy.  I'm just one film lover who has never made a thing.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

There was a time when I largely agreed with your final paragraph.  But now when I look back at that particular Oscar field, The Departed is the best movie among that group.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Gary K said:

Agreed re: Marty.  He is not an egotistical gatekeeper whatsoever.  

The thing with awards is that they are an opinion writ large frozen in time.  So the academy of 1990 didn't think goodfellas was best picture.  All that means is that those in the academy at that time (which is, obviously, very different than the academy today) didn't agree.  The Oscars always have been and always will be a reflection of the state of "Hollywood" at a given moment and NOT a statement on what might be objectively "best" if such a conclusion is even possible about art.

Personally, I find the oscars entertaining for what they are and worthless in terms of what I personally like or dislike.  I'm not in the academy.  I'm just one film lover who has never made a thing.

One thing the Oscars have been good for is occasionally alerting me to a good documentary or foreign language film that I wouldn’t have seen otherwise.  Though when it comes to foreign languages nominees, I’m usually reading enough critics to pick up on the best of them.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Casiusco said:

Have a nice evening!!

I think the Oscars have become an outdated model.

I think people tune into them more for potential amusement than anything else, but even then that viewership is declining as it's hard to relate to the people in that industry.

While Oppenheimer was my favourite movie of last year and is one of the rare items I've agreed with the Academy (particularly in the last decade or so), I don't think it's Nolan's best film either. There were few issues that I think held it back from being really great.

The industry itself has devolved too much into an "art/cinema" vs. entertainment dichotomy, which I think ultimately hurts the quality of the movies we've been getting. I think it's really starting to show in the type and quality of movies we've been getting lately.

At this point, criticising superhero movies has become just as tired and worn-out as some of the movies themselves. It tries to paint these movies as the disease when they're actually a symptom of a much bigger issue with (mostly) studios and filmmakers.

And to be honest with you, many of these other "serious" or Indie films aren't really hitting the spot either in my opinion. I think many of them suffer from similar issues that superhero films get criticised for.

I think the best films emerge not through Oscar validation, but through passionate discussion on forums such as these with film fans still gushing about them, being inspired or influenced them, etc. many years after their release.

Edited by Fortis93
  • Like 7