IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

8 hours ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

I also really enjoyed it. I've grown to really appreciate any attempt by a filmmaker to really embrace film as a visual medium. Too often these days films are filled with exposition so it was a breath of fresh air in that category for sure. 

I do think it has some story issues, particularly in the the third act and they bother me a bit more as I put more thought into it. I was honestly tempted to run it back and watch it again almost immediately to get a better grasp on it, lol.

I don't know why we don't see Kaitlyn Dever getting more work. She was fantastic in Booksmart and obviously in this as well

I thought she was very good in Justified as well.  Very convincing as a Kentuckian (I’m originally from there).

• Like 4

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

I thought she was very good in Justified as well.  Very convincing as a Kentuckian (I’m originally from there).

Just looked that up as I had not heard of it. I was ready to watch a film but it’s getting harder and harder for me to sit down for a TV series nowadays. How is it as a whole?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Just looked that up as I had not heard of it. I was ready to watch a film but it’s getting harder and harder for me to sit down for a TV series nowadays. How is it as a whole?

I wouldn’t put it in the top tier with Sopranos, Breaking Bad, but just below those.  I don’t watch a lot of series anymore either, mostly movies.  For much of the first season, it feels like episodic, independent stories, then it finds its footing and takes off in the last few episodes of season 1.  

Walton Goggins is excellent, the best thing in the show.  After the show becomes more about the conflict between his character and Timothy Olyphant’s character, it gets great.  Probably goes without saying, but if you have any kind of taste for Elmore Leonard (originally based on a story of his, and kind of has that spirit throughout), or that kind of crime fiction generally then you’ll probably love it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2023 at 6:07 PM, hansreinhardt said:

I know! I'm not sure how I had never got around to it. But at some point I resigned myself to not even being in a hurry to see it, purely so I'd have more "classics" or "masterpieces" to look forward to seeing one day. There are several others that I have also classified as such... I'm almost embarrassed to admit what those additional films are! 😆 Another one of those was Barry Lyndon, which I just watched for the first time in the past year. Having a "new" Kubrick movie to watch was a real treat. 

Man, that 50th Anniversary set is really killer. Love that they used the classic art on the steel, it's such an iconic poster. 

So after I finish this, I imagine I'll be curious about Exorcists 2 & 3... how do those compare, any advice? 

Man, I fell into it again.  Big stack of 4K movies from the last few months that I want to see, but The Exorcist must be watched!  So I’m watching it for at least the 10th time in my life.  There are fuzzy moments but overall it looks incredible in 4K so far (I’ve taken a pause after the section where the movie is being filmed).  Closeups on Von Sydow’s hands, and they really look like the hands of a guy who’s been working dirt for months.  Incredible.

Barry Lyndon looks amazing, I think the way Kubrick insisted on natural light really works.  But I’ve currently got it on a list of movies that I love (with PTA’s stuff, Coen brothers movies) that I’m not going to watch again until 4K drops.  I’m stupid excited over Fargo dropping in November, ordered the Shout Factory edition that comes with a snow globe :) 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

I wouldn’t put it in the top tier with Sopranos, Breaking Bad, but just below those.  I don’t watch a lot of series anymore either, mostly movies.  For much of the first season, it feels like episodic, independent stories, then it finds its footing and takes off in the last few episodes of season 1.  

Walton Goggins is excellent, the best thing in the show.  After the show becomes more about the conflict between his character and Timothy Olyphant’s character, it gets great.  Probably goes without saying, but if you have any kind of taste for Elmore Leonard (originally based on a story of his, and kind of has that spirit throughout), or that kind of crime fiction generally then you’ll probably love it.

Hmm, sounds interesting. Maybe I'll check it out. Thanks for the description and I always find it helpful to know how long it takes for a show to get its footing. I generally can push through some growing pains/changes so long as I know when it ends.

• Like 4

🥤🎬 🤠 🐴 🍪 🍩Top of the day to ya, going to be 🌤️ here my friends… good day there, Veum here❣️🙏 :) 🙋‍♂️

I Hate Mondays Monday GIF by Chippy the Dog

55%
A passing shower this morning; otherwise, partly sunny and warmer

RealFeel®63°

RealFeel Shade™60°

Max UV Index4 Moderate

WindNNW 7 mph

• Like 3

Hi everybody!

Today is Monday, the worst day of the week for many people; although lately I no longer distinguish between Monday, Friday or Sunday. :D 

The weather is crazy, of course it is changing. Places where it should start to get very cold are still in t-shirts, and here in my city, where it should be a mild and cool autumn, and already a little cold, we have 30ºC-32ºC (=86ºK-89,6ºF) and people are on the beach.

It's extrange, because in recent years here it gives me the feeling that summer starts later and ends later and ends later.

I have a friend who is at the beach now, not closed at home with rain, and he tells me: "Long live climate change!"

But another friend is a wine producer, the grapes are worse than ever, and he is not amused. Not at all.

Still, I hope you are all well, and that you don't have to watch through the window how people go to the beach while you work and your head don't stop.......

sweating-face.gif

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Casiusco said:

Hi everybody!

Today is Monday, the worst day of the week for many people; although lately I no longer distinguish between Monday, Friday or Sunday. :D 

The weather is crazy, of course it is changing. Places where it should start to get very cold are still in t-shirts, and here in my city, where it should be a mild and cool autumn, and already a little cold, we have 30ºC-32ºC (=86ºK-89,6ºF) and people are on the beach.

It's extrange, because in recent years here it gives me the feeling that summer starts later and ends later and ends later.

I have a friend who is at the beach now, not closed at home with rain, and he tells me: "Long live climate change!"

But another friend is a wine producer, the grapes are worse than ever, and he is not amused. Not at all.

Still, I hope you are all well, and that you don't have to watch through the window how people go to the beach while you work and your head don't stop.......

sweating-face.gif

It's been the same way here in Texas, USA. We used to be done with summer in early September, now it's the end of the September/first week of October when we see some relief. Ironically, the trees thinks it Autumn, they are losing their leaves in 100 degree weather.

• Like 4

🥤🎬 🤠 🐴 🍪 🍩Top of the day to ya, going to be 🌤️ 🌬here my friends… good day there, Veum here❣️🙏 :) 🙋‍♂️

Taking our SUV auto to get some work done on it this morning, bye till later! 🚘 

Dog Driving GIF

0%
Partly sunny and breezy

RealFeel®64°

RealFeel Shade™61°

Max UV Index4 Moderate

WindW 14 mph

• Like 4

Good morning/afertoon everybody!

Today I'm going to tell you about a bad experience buying in an online store: reprodart.com. 

I'm doing works at home, renovations, and I thought about buying a painting for a wall, the typical print of a painting of a famous painter.

I saw several stores, and I bought it there. It's a German store specialized in this kind of products, and they ship to many countries. They are not the cheapest, but I assumed they seemed to be good in the business.

The result was that instead of sending me the print of the famous painting I paid for, they sent me the print of a bad childish imitation. So bad, that just by taking a little bit of the painting out of the box I could see that it was not the same one.

They had changed colors, location of elements, size of shapes, many things. And they had even added brushstrokes and other contributions from the imitator. Terrible.

Maybe in order not to pay for the license of the printing of the original painting. Who knows.

And when I contacted them, they refused to assume the mistake. Nothing to do. I sent them a comparison of the original painting, detailed in the invoice, and what they had sent me, with dozens of differences, but it didn't matter. 

The trick they did is to put the name of a famous painting, and in the image put the image of the imitator painting. If you don't look closely, even with zoom, you don't notice it. And if you do notice, they give they show a text where they say that for technical reasons there are differences on the web, but that this will not affect the print.

In the end, after several times trying to solve it directly with them, I had to open a dispute with PayPal, and after a exchange of documentation, PayPal proved me right: I got my money back.

But beyond this, now I have to buy it in another store, and I still have a horrible big painting at home that I have to throw away. I don't want it around! 

I understand that for them it's beneficial, but I will never understand people who are not serious about business. Being serious and reliable is the only way to survive in the long run. And it is a matter of principle.

• Sad 6

21 minutes ago, nathan_s82 said:

It's been the same way here in Texas, USA. We used to be done with summer in early September, now it's the end of the September/first week of October when we see some relief. Ironically, the trees thinks it Autumn, they are losing their leaves in 100 degree weather.

These things for farmers are terrible. Eventually, many will go broke. And the prices of their products are going to go up a lot, but because of shortages.

• Sad 4

5 hours ago, Casiusco said:

Good morning/afertoon everybody!

Today I'm going to tell you about a bad experience buying in an online store: reprodart.com. 

I'm doing works at home, renovations, and I thought about buying a painting for a wall, the typical print of a painting of a famous painter.

I saw several stores, and I bought it there. It's a German store specialized in this kind of products, and they ship to many countries. They are not the cheapest, but I assumed they seemed to be good in the business.

The result was that instead of sending me the print of the famous painting I paid for, they sent me the print of a bad childish imitation. So bad, that just by taking a little bit of the painting out of the box I could see that it was not the same one.

They had changed colors, location of elements, size of shapes, many things. And they had even added brushstrokes and other contributions from the imitator. Terrible.

Maybe in order not to pay for the license of the printing of the original painting. Who knows.

And when I contacted them, they refused to assume the mistake. Nothing to do. I sent them a comparison of the original painting, detailed in the invoice, and what they had sent me, with dozens of differences, but it didn't matter. 

The trick they did is to put the name of a famous painting, and in the image put the image of the imitator painting. If you don't look closely, even with zoom, you don't notice it. And if you do notice, they give they show a text where they say that for technical reasons there are differences on the web, but that this will not affect the print.

In the end, after several times trying to solve it directly with them, I had to open a dispute with PayPal, and after a exchange of documentation, PayPal proved me right: I got my money back.

But beyond this, now I have to buy it in another store, and I still have a horrible big painting at home that I have to throw away. I don't want it around! 

I understand that for them it's beneficial, but I will never understand people who are not serious about business. Being serious and reliable is the only way to survive in the long run. And it is a matter of principle.

@Casiusco you need copy paste this put up in German room and help name and shame and save others from this site 👍👍👍👍

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Veum said:

:) 🤠 I’m thinking of ordering the Mission: Impossible series steelbooks (although I might not since I already own the 4Ks hmmm? 🤨) on Amazon Prime Day🤔 

Is anyone getting them or do you already own them? 🧐 

:) 🤠 ordered tonight! 🙋‍♂️ 

Spoiler

image.jpeg.e58c5189bc7d251b91f8ecd1c08e39a1.jpeg image.jpeg.5571ef254fc4d08138493cbe5a228714.jpeg image.jpeg.ba644eb1bafb68d4ff1ffdcee3e07c54.jpeg image.jpeg.91b4634fb1f487898e73962024625bb4.jpeg

image.jpeg.b40d0a68b56dc4ebf0cb40bc38cd448b.jpeg image.jpeg.9aa9b990085fccae75e36dc3d38806df.jpeg image.jpeg.75c7b1fdeaf45752ca9941696aec5f96.jpeg

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Veum said:

:) 🤠 ordered tonight! 🙋‍♂️ 

Hide contents

image.jpeg.e58c5189bc7d251b91f8ecd1c08e39a1.jpeg image.jpeg.5571ef254fc4d08138493cbe5a228714.jpeg image.jpeg.ba644eb1bafb68d4ff1ffdcee3e07c54.jpeg image.jpeg.91b4634fb1f487898e73962024625bb4.jpeg

image.jpeg.b40d0a68b56dc4ebf0cb40bc38cd448b.jpeg image.jpeg.9aa9b990085fccae75e36dc3d38806df.jpeg image.jpeg.75c7b1fdeaf45752ca9941696aec5f96.jpeg

Nice.  I love the MI movies.  I always see them in  IMAX on opening weekend, ever since Ghost Protocol.  Great theater experience.

I also had the full set, then also bought the steel when it came out.  Couldn’t resist.  

I’m mulling American Gangster; $10.43.  I know that as soon as I get it, they’ll release a steelbook and I’ll end up owning 2 copies :)  Also, there are surprisingly few AG 4K reviews.  I like to get a sense of how good the picture upgrade is and none of the sites where I normally read reviews have reviewed the 4K.

• Like 5

I love the Mission Impossible saga too! 

The first one seems to me the most classic and elegant, the second one is the worst but still crazy and fun. In my opinion from the third one everything changed, JJ Abrams did a job that changed the direction of the saga, and the momentum he gave it, plus the incredible bad guy performance of the great Phillips Seymour Hoffman changed everything.

The fourth is fun, though when Christopher McQuarrie came in he picked up Abrams and Hoffman's contribution and has given us three superb films.

For me "Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning - Part One" is one of the most underrated films of the season, it still deserved much more box office. It is pure cinema, and pure entertainment at the same time. I enjoyed it like a pig in mud lying in the theater while watching it. ❤️

Good morning everyone!

• Like 5

On the 11th Day of Halloween, my ghoul gave to me, nada, because we took a break. On the side, I run a Podcast about Comic Creators, and a channel about Toys, Comics and Media, so have to take a break from the Horror routine sometimes. Have an amazing hump day!

Halloween Wednesday GIF by giphystudios2021

20 Days Until Halloween

43 Days Until Thanksgiving

75 Days Until Christmas

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

🥤🎬 🤠 🐴 🍪 🍩Top of the day to ya, going to be 🌦️ here my friends… good day there, Veum here❣️🙏 :) 🙋‍♂️

Psychos it’s Veum’s walking time, see ya later! 🙋‍♂️

Homer Simpson Simpsons GIF

67%
Mostly sunny this morning followed by variable cloudiness this afternoon with a couple of showers

RealFeel®70°

RealFeel Shade™68°

Max UV Index4 Moderate

WindS 6 mph

• Like 4