IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

Good morning, dear Psychos.

Another day of summer with a lot of hot. 

Where I live, we have hot summers but not so hot. We presume to have the perfect middle ground; not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter; beach, mountains, a bit of everything.

But this summer is terrible.... if you have to work!!! :D 

And today I'm going to the movies to see "Elvis" for the second time. Previously I had promised someone to go together, and even if I already have seen it, I'm a man of my work. I like it a lot, and I don't mind seeing it again.

In fact, I hope that someone ipublish a collector's edition.

It's Elvis!

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 5

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Casiusco said:

Good morning, dear Psychos.

Another day of summer with a lot of hot. 

Where I live, we have hot summers but not so hot. We presume to have the perfect middle ground; not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter; beach, mountains, a bit of everything.

But this summer is terrible.... if you have to work!!! :D 

And today I'm going to the movies to see "Elvis" for the second time. Previously I had promised someone to go together, and even if I already have seen it, I'm a man of my work. I like it a lot, and I don't mind seeing it again.

In fact, I hope that someone ipublish a collector's edition.

It's Elvis!

Have a good day everyone!

"Elvis" is good but stretched on way too long in my opinion

I thought Butler was absolutely phenomenal and I loved some of the camera work - especially the performances. I know a lot of people have been saying it was an odd role for Tom Hanks but I didn't notice it much to be honest. 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

"Elvis" is good but stretched on way too long in my opinion

I thought Butler was absolutely phenomenal and I loved some of the camera work - especially the performances. I know a lot of people have been saying it was an odd role for Tom Hanks but I didn't notice it much to be honest. 

Yesterday I went to the movies and I've seen "Elvis" for the second time. Not because I'm a big fan of Elvis, which I never was, or because the movie would have seemed like a masterpiece to me; simply, as I already said, I had to go back to someone.

The first viewing was intense, fun, long. Satisfying. I liked the film, its finish is seamless, the narrative effort to put together such a complex story is enormous, and I only noticed a moment between its two big blocks -ascent and fall- where, like a small discontinuity, the rhythm was broken without apparent reason, at least, without being able to leave the necessary substrate as not to see yourself abandoned without energy, without a specific direction, without knowing where to look; maybe like the character himself.

A good movie, no more.

The second viewing was different. I no longer searched, but waited. I knew the story, some of the dialogue, I knew where the car was going, and I just enjoyed it.

There my point of view changed.

I stopped -unconsciously- analyzing the film, and I found Elvis. With intensity, with a being -really- bigger than life. I met his talent, his depth, his extravagance, his grandeur, and his soul; the one that gushes out in each stanza -even forced- in the final part of the film; the one that appears in the last concert. In every movement, spasm or gesture.

And if I met him, it's because the film took me to him: baroque, intense, dazzling, rushed, crazy, defiant, exaggerated and elegant at the same time. Yes, like Elvis himself. Because there, that second time, it stopped being the character, and started being Elvis. And the film began to let me glimpse the same honesty of the man; far from looking towards only fame, he really enjoyed himself -an authentic man- on stage; perhaps the only place where he was happy. Where he gave everything to those who were waiting for him, down there.

And, in the same way, I felt that Luhrmann was using and giving everything -as a true, visceral, honest fan of Elvis- giving us an exclusive access to that soul, that throat, that voice, his hits and his mistakes, his dreams and his frustrations. His great successes and his great failures. Yes, intense, extreme, as was everything around him until the last moment.

Really, what Luhrmann has done with this film is to narrate a complex, polyhedral, exhausting, difficult, personal and at the same time public, intimate and brilliant story, in the only way that it could be narrated. The only way a devoted, intense, music-possessed fan of him can lead you to -yes, definitely yes- someone bigger than life.

At that moment, without worrying about the plot, the performances, the duration, or that intermediate phase of the film, I realized that "Elvis" was not only a good movie.

It's GREAT cinema.

Of the real.

Where both in form, as in substance, as in what is told, everything has been given until the last breath. For the love of Elvis. And he out of love for the fans.

That soul -and that heartbeat- leaning out of the throat, leaning out of the screen, leaning out of a seat.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• ★ Administrators ★

Good Morning Psychos!

Saw Thor last night at the big IMAX on the upper west side o NYC (my favorite theater).  Now I'm a big Marvel fan and LOVED Thor: Ragnarok so was pretty stoked for this.  Taika Waititi leans even further into the garish, brightly colored silliness here, and a funny, unselfaware doofus thor is my favorite thor.  Some of the jokes work very well (for me at least) but others felt a bit forced.  Bale is great as the god butcher and downright scary at times.  If anything, his storyline (and Jane's) are pretty serious and felt a bit of a tonal mismatch for the overall silliness.

That said, I had a blast, the film looked great (despite a few notable CGI wonkiness moments) and took full advantage of the IMAX aspect ratio for a fair number of scenes,

And Russel Crow was absolutely hilarious - as were the other cameos.

@Basil

• Like 9

• ★ Administrators ★
1 hour ago, Casiusco said:

Yesterday I went to the movies and I've seen "Elvis" for the second time. Not because I'm a big fan of Elvis, which I never was, or because the movie would have seemed like a masterpiece to me; simply, as I already said, I had to go back to someone.

The first viewing was intense, fun, long. Satisfying. I liked the film, its finish is seamless, the narrative effort to put together such a complex story is enormous, and I only noticed a moment between its two big blocks -ascent and fall- where, like a small discontinuity, the rhythm was broken without apparent reason, at least, without being able to leave the necessary substrate as not to see yourself abandoned without energy, without a specific direction, without knowing where to look; maybe like the character himself.

A good movie, no more.

The second viewing was different. I no longer searched, but waited. I knew the story, some of the dialogue, I knew where the car was going, and I just enjoyed it.

I stopped -unconsciously- analyzing the film, and I found Elvis. With intensity, with a being -really- bigger than life. I met his talent, his depth, his extravagance, his grandeur, and his soul; the one that gushes out in each stanza -even forced- in the final part of the film; the one that appears in the last concert. In every movement, spasm or gesture.

And if I met him, it's because the film took me to him: baroque, intense, dazzling, rushed, crazy, defiant, exaggerated and elegant at the same time. Yes, like Elvis himself. Because there, that second time, it stopped being the character, and started being Elvis. And the film began to let me glimpse the same honesty of the man; far from looking towards only fame, he really enjoyed himself -an authentic man- on stage; perhaps the only place where he was happy. Where he gave everything to those who were waiting for him, down there.

And, in the same way, I felt that Luhrmann was using and giving everything -as a true, visceral, honest fan of Elvis- giving us an exclusive access to that soul, that throat, that voice, his hits and his mistakes, his dreams and his frustrations. His great successes and his great failures. Yes, intense, extreme, as was everything around him until the last moment.

Really, what Luhrmann has done with this film is to narrate a complex, polyhedral, exhausting, difficult, personal and at the same time public, intimate and brilliant story, in the only way that it could be narrated. The only way a devoted, intense, music-possessed fan of him can lead you to -yes, definitely yes- someone bigger than life.

At that moment, without worrying about the plot, the performances, the duration, or that intermediate phase of the film, I realized that "Elvis" was not only a good movie.

It's GREAT cinema.

Of the real.

Where both in form, as in substance, as in what is told, everything has been given until the last breath. For the love of Elvis. And he out of love for the fans.

That soul -and that heartbeat- leaning out of the throat, leaning out of the screen, leaning out of a seat.

I really appreciate rewatch reviews.  I find my opinion of a movie can often change on a rewatch when I already know the story and can experience the “cinema” more purely.  

needless to say I’m now more interested in seeing “Elvis” than before, so thanks for that. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, damships said:

Got ‘em!

DF24DF04-8444-4947-93DB-7E8432385742.jpeg

Very nice @damships 🤩

3 hours ago, Casiusco said:

A good movie, no more.

It's GREAT cinema.

Of the real.

@Casiusco I had a chance to see one of Elvis’ last concert with my sister but turned it down for some reason 😔 

• Like 6