IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

Jean-Luc Godard is dead.

Jean-Luc Godard est mort.

ULERH6N3CRC3VO5L6JQA2MLZ7Q.jpg

I remember very well the first time I saw one of his films. It was at a film club in the town hall of my city, I was studying at the university, and I went with great curiosity -and expectation- facing my first film by someone so influential, from such a big name.

It was a strange experience; it was not what I expected. And that day, I realized that I was far from understanding why he was so important.

However, I'm a stubborn and curious guy, a dangerous mix; "not understanding" always bothered me, because even to criticize something, you first have to understand it; know what is supposed to be good about it in order to deny it.

And I started to pull two threads: films from his first stage, more conventional, which led me to marvel at how that little French man had changed cinema; assuming classic cinema but taking a step forward, opening the door to what we undertand as modern cinema (I still find it incredible that "À bout de souffle" was shot in the same year as "Ben-Hur", or that it was made in such a roundly classic...!!!); and, on the other hand, experimental films, or political films, or both together, which I approached by first reading about what I was going to see, creating a perspective, on which I would later have my own opinion, and my own perspective.

Years later, far from his groundbreaking films at the time but more conventional on his works, I saw his "Historie (s) du cinéma", and I realized something: he spoke another language, the language of images. The argument, the conventional sequence, are elements that have provided great masterpieces, even with him; but he went one step further, being able to get rid of those ties and those obligations to play with the images, and express himself with them; mixing them, overlapping them, rubbing them.

A while ago I was in a work meeting, and a notice popped up on my smartphone: Jean-Luc Godard est mort.

Some of his works seemed wonderful, fundamental in cinema and culture; other times he could be a sullen guy, and his work inaccessible, empty, or incomprehensible. But it always amazed me how, even in recent years, a guy who was then close to 90 years old, was capable of making a much more innovative audiovisual creation than the young people who today saturate the network -Youtube, Tik tok, etc- with allegedly modern content that only intends to monetize its presence.

Really, today is a sad day. Both for his fans, and for those who hated him. Just because of the enormous, colossal influence he had; because of his cinephile, artistic, audiovisual, cultural repercussion, at times even intellectual; just because of what it contributed to so many directors that many of us here adore, it can be said that today we have suffered a great loss.

Maybe today, if I have time, I'll share some collector's edition photos I have of his work. True gems.

As he once wrote:

"And here is the cinema, and here is the task...."

• Sad 8

Small tribute to Jean-Luc Godard and everything he gave us.

DVD:

1.jpg

Blu-ray:

2.jpg

Collector editions:

3.jpg

PS1: I forgot to include the Studiocanal Collection edition of "Le mepris".

PS2: When I have time I'm going to take some more detailed photos of those collector's limited editions. They are magnificent.

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 3