IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

25 minutes ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

Suddenly, I go out for lunch and my steering wheel is too hot to touch.  Summer’s here.

Also, 2 days of school left.  They go Monday, no school Tuesday, final day is on Wednesday.  Why do schools do this?

ahhh so you're at that hotter than fish grease time of the year we discussed earlier?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

Suddenly, I go out for lunch and my steering wheel is too hot to touch.  Summer’s here.

Also, 2 days of school left.  They go Monday, no school Tuesday, final day is on Wednesday.  Why do schools do this?

Yup, 92 here in Arlington, TX. Summer is here early. I hate how they do school like that. We've had Award ceremonies on last Friday, Today, Tomorrow, and Wednesday. Thursday is a half day too, so this is hard on parents for sure.

We had our daughter's cheerleading competition on Saturday, and her got 2nd in their division, not too shabby. I went to Texas Frightmare, but couldn't stay too long, but was able to score some new vinyl, patches and Jane Levy to sign a copy of Evil Dead (2013).

evil-dead-movie-poster.jpg.0ad07e714e7bc766d43ed4a8bdeb3efc.jpg

18 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

55 Days Until Retro Expo

159 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

164 Days Until Halloween

192 Days Until Thanksgiving

219 Days Until Christmas

226 Days Until New Year

270 Days Until Valentine's Day!

301 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

335 Days Until Easter

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Ole @Veum, you haven't updated us on your knee recently.  How's that meniscus!?  You fully recovered?

🤠 Thanks for asking @BreakBeatDJ, I wish but especially my left knee will not bend back all the way… I had told you all long ago that the doc had told me that I had a small tear on each knee and that little part is permanently gone! 😞 

But at least there is relatively no pain as I have/need to keep up my knee exercises and walking at least 30 min. A day which I’m still doing thank you!! 🙌

Pro Wrestling Win GIF by Looney Tunes 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, nathan_s82 said:

Yup, 92 here in Arlington, TX. Summer is here early. I hate how they do school like that. We've had Award ceremonies on last Friday, Today, Tomorrow, and Wednesday. Thursday is a half day too, so this is hard on parents for sure.

We had our daughter's cheerleading competition on Saturday, and her got 2nd in their division, not too shabby. I went to Texas Frightmare, but couldn't stay too long, but was able to score some new vinyl, patches and Jane Levy to sign a copy of Evil Dead (2013).

55 Days Until Retro Expo

164 Days Until Halloween

219 Days Until Christmas

226 Days Until New Year

335 Days Until Easter

Looked up Texas Frightmare, that looks like a blast.  I think I would’ve been most excited by Juliette Lewis.  I feel like her performance in Cape Fear should be considered legendary and that she’s become oddly under appreciated.

I wish we had more things like that locally, not that I’m complaining.  We have what is evidently one of only 30 or so theaters that can deliver 70mm IMAX.  But still, would like more interesting movie-related cons.

• Like 2

So it pains me to admit that I’ve never seen Open Range, have heard great things about it.  It’s never streaming on any of my services.  With Costner’s big new movie near on the horizon (I couldn’t help myself, sorry), it’s feeling like there’s some urgency.

So I check the services today and it turns out Apple (maybe Amazon too) is selling it digitally for $5, if anyone else is interested.  I bought a copy, may not get to watch it for a night or two.  Any fans here?  Feels like a Veum movie for sure (though I’m always wrong about his tastes).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Veum said:

🤠 Thanks for asking @BreakBeatDJ, I wish but especially my left knee will not bend back all the way… I had told you all long ago that the doc had told me that I had a small tear on each knee and that little part is permanently gone! 😞 

But at least there is relatively no pain as I have/need to keep up my knee exercises and walking at least 30 min. A day which I’m still doing thank you!! 🙌

sorry to hear friend but glad you still have your mobility to get up and walk about.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nathan_s82 said:

55 Days Until Retro Expo

164 Days Until Halloween

219 Days Until Christmas

226 Days Until New Year

335 Days Until Easter

92 Lord have mercy man we're just hitting 77 here. The school district doesn't let out until the second week in June then all hell breaks loose. They are however working on a plan to have school all year round with breaks periodically but they are looking at how some schools overseas do school throughout the year as an example.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Veum said:

@Veum, I pray it gets better for you soon!

Have an awesome Tuesday Psychos!

Tuesday Morning Color GIF by Justin

17 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

54 Days Until Retro Expo

158 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

163 Days Until Halloween

191 Days Until Thanksgiving

218 Days Until Christmas

225 Days Until New Year

269 Days Until Valentine's Day!

300 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

334 Days Until Easter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone!

Here tomorrow the weather will be good again, around 24ºC (=75ºF). The children have school until the third week of June, inclusive, and then vacations until the first week of September, inclusive.

In my day, anyone who had not studied enough had to study in the summer and face exams before starting the new school year. Not now, if they fail, they do these exams in a couple of weeks after the end of the season, and they also have vacations.

I don't know if this is good or not, pedagogues say that children need free time, not to study in summer, and it maybe true, but, at the same time, I think we are educating a generation that is not used to effort, any possibility of stress or having to make an effort is taken out of the way.

They have less and less obligation to make an effort, and if you say anything you are old-fashioned. Some parents even say that children should not have homework.
Of course, lest they have to learn to organize themselves, and to sacrifice when necessary. 😬

But well, I also have to say that in Spain people have legally one month of vacation per year, and many people take that time all together in summer. For them it is ideal for the children to have a vacation. 

Have you already planned your vacations? Any interesting trip? I would love to, but I don't know if I will be able to.

• Like 3

On 5/21/2024 at 12:25 AM, Veum said:

Walking is good.

I always enjoyed it, but after the pandemic and the lockdown, I walk even more. 

When we were locked at home, going out was a relief, and since then I've gotten into the habit of taking a walk when I leave work, before going home. It's good for your health, and it's pleasant.

In fact at this time of year, if the weather improves, it's fantastic. I love to go down to the port, walk a bit, breath, listening to people or listening to some music, or sit on a terrace and have a drink, read a bit, or chat with a friend. It's very relaxing after a hard long work day.

And then walk back.

Not moving all day is bad, not only for your knees and bones, but even for your blood circulation.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 5/21/2024 at 2:16 AM, Heywoodmoutaw said:

Looked up Texas Frightmare, that looks like a blast.  I think I would’ve been most excited by Juliette Lewis.  I feel like her performance in Cape Fear should be considered legendary and that she’s become oddly under appreciated.

I wish we had more things like that locally, not that I’m complaining.  We have what is evidently one of only 30 or so theaters that can deliver 70mm IMAX.  But still, would like more interesting movie-related cons.

I've never seen a movie in an IMAX theater, and I'm really looking forward to it. It must be a very exciting experience.

In Spain there are only 4 IMAX theaters: 2 in Madrid, 1 in Barcelona, and 1 in Mallorca. None close by.

But someday on a trip if I can I will try it. :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Casiusco said:

Good morning everyone!

Here tomorrow the weather will be good again, around 24ºC (=75ºF). The children have school until the third week of June, inclusive, and then vacations until the first week of September, inclusive.

In my day, anyone who had not studied enough had to study in the summer and face exams before starting the new school year. Not now, if they fail, they do these exams in a couple of weeks after the end of the season, and they also have vacations.

I don't know if this is good or not, pedagogues say that children need free time, not to study in summer, and it maybe true, but, at the same time, I think we are educating a generation that is not used to effort, any possibility of stress or having to make an effort is taken out of the way.

They have less and less obligation to make an effort, and if you say anything you are old-fashioned. Some parents even say that children should not have homework.
Of course, lest they have to learn to organize themselves, and to sacrifice when necessary. 😬

But well, I also have to say that in Spain people have legally one month of vacation per year, and many people take that time all together in summer. For them it is ideal for the children to have a vacation. 

Have you already planned your vacations? Any interesting trip? I would love to, but I don't know if I will be able to.

Happy Thursday my fine crew! I wish my kids could be in school year round to keep them learning more through the year.  The problem we run into with year-round school is having multiple weeks off through the year, so I see the pros and cons of both ways. Our kids are screwed though, with both of their parents being teachers, they will continue education everyday through us.

the simpsons school GIF

16 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

53 Days Until Retro Expo

157 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

162 Days Until Halloween

190 Days Until Thanksgiving

217 Days Until Christmas

224 Days Until New Year

268 Days Until Valentine's Day!

299 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

333 Days Until Easter

• Like 4

🤠 G’day friends, I hope your Wednesday will be fine! 🙋🏻‍♂️ 

… please if you will keep the residents of Iowa 🇺🇸 in your prayers as they were hit with devastating tornadoes yesterday (3 have been reported as past away 😭) and there is reported terrible weather today in the Mid-west 🇺🇸! 🌪️ 😢 

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

• Like 1
  • Love 4