IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, LeadFarmer said:

Hang tight Nate you use what to order from Zavvi UK and HMV? I've always wondered how to order from HMV as well because they get some really nice exclusives. 

I use TipTrans as my shipping service. You setup an account with them, they give you addresses in the UK, China, Germany, Hong Kong and Czech Republic.  You then add the UK address to the Zavvi and HMV sites as you delivery address. You order your goods, and it goes to the TipTrans Shipping Service site, they package it up and ship it to you. They typically give you 30-60 days for storage, and do consolidation service when you have multiple packages. So I use that a lot when I have multiple releases, and just have them consolidate it, and ship me one big box. Shipping rates can get expensive sometimes, so be forwarned. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, nathan_s82 said:

I use TipTrans as my shipping service. You setup an account with them, they give you addresses in the UK, China, Germany, Hong Kong and Czech Republic.  You then add the UK address to the Zavvi and HMV sites as you delivery address. You order your goods, and it goes to the TipTrans Shipping Service site, they package it up and ship it to you. They typically give you 30-60 days for storage, and do consolidation service when you have multiple packages. So I use that a lot when I have multiple releases, and just have them consolidate it, and ship me one big box. Shipping rates can get expensive sometimes, so be forwarned. 

Thanks for explaining that. Sounds like something I'd definitely look into doing. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, nathan_s82 said:

The Best Goat GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nathan_s82 said:

I use MyUS.com but rarely use it anymore because I’ve found that unless it is an amazing deal, or the sales you referred to, I can get things on secondary market often for cheaper when including the cost of the service and shipping.  But still, glad it’s an option.  

Edited by BreakBeatDJ
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

In use MyUS.com but rarely use it anymore because I’ve found that unless it is an amazing deal, or the sales you referred to, I can get things on secondary market often for cheaper when including the cost of the service and shipping.  But still, glad it’s an option.  

Same for me.

I've seen Zavvi Australia uploading more steelbooks to their site these past couple of months, but now I just get mine from Aussie sellers on eBay.

The prices are just a tad higher, but with that I'm guaranteed an item in excellent edition that arrives at my doorstep in a matter of days.

• Like 7

Happy Valentine's Day my good folks! I hope you all have an amazing day!!!

Valentines Day Love GIF

9 Days Until SwornFest

31 Days Until St. Patrick's Day

46 Days Until Easter

94 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

114 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

150 Days Until Retro Expo

255 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

260 Days Until Halloween

288 Days Until Thanksgiving

315 Days Until Christmas

322 Days Until New Year

366 Days Until Valentine's Day!

• Like 6

My favorite spot in Chicago, the Music Box Theatre, recently announced a Cinema Morricone week. All films scored by Ennio Morricone. Check out that lineup! Several in 35mm too: Mission to Mars, The Untouchables, Days of Heaven, The Thing, Once Upon a Time in America... the list goes on. 

Tempted to buy a pass. I haven't seen a few of these either, can't think of a better way to see them for the first time (looking at you, Days of Heaven). I saw The Thing there in 35mm a few years back and it was amazing, though notably the print had faded badly and everything looked Pepto Bismol pink. 

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I love theaters like this. Anyone else have any favorite film spots like this? 

Edited by hansreinhardt
  • Like 8

Folks w/ the bigger Arrow limited edition hardbox releases... Do you put these in slipcase protectors? How about Nova Media non-steelbook releases? Just curious, I'm trying to migrate all my stuff into plastic protectors, which I've been woefully behind on. Some of my earlier steels are painful to look at 😬

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hansreinhardt said:

Folks w/ the bigger Arrow limited edition hardbox releases... Do you put these in slipcase protectors? How about Nova Media non-steelbook releases? Just curious, I'm trying to migrate all my stuff into plastic protectors, which I've been woefully behind on. Some of my earlier steels are painful to look at 😬

I use katana collectibles for my arrow stuff in addition to my other boxsets like the best buy steelbook sets. pretty good quality and doesn't break the bank. They make stuff for arrow criterion HDzeta Nova again the best buy steelbook sets etc. I'm waiting on a big shipment from them now to put some arrow stuff in as well as steelbooks and some stuff that came from zavviUS. 

https://katanacollectibles.com/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

I use katana collectibles for my arrow stuff in addition to my other boxsets like the best buy steelbook sets. pretty good quality and doesn't break the bank. They make stuff for arrow criterion HDzeta Nova again the best buy steelbook sets etc. I'm waiting on a big shipment from them now to put some arrow stuff in as well as steelbooks and some stuff that came from zavviUS. 

https://katanacollectibles.com/

Thank you! I'll give Katana a shot. I ordered some protectors from Malko and they seem very nice, but they dont' have any other sizes beyond Manta and steelbook, and are a bit tough to open. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

My favorite spot in Chicago, the Music Box Theatre, recently announced a Cinema Morricone week. All films scored by Ennio Morricone. Check out that lineup! Several in 35mm too: Mission to Mars, The Untouchables, Days of Heaven, The Thing, Once Upon a Time in America... the list goes on. 

Tempted to buy a pass. I haven't seen a few of these either, can't think of a better way to see them for the first time (looking at you, Days of Heaven). I saw The Thing there in 35mm a few years back and it was amazing, though notably the print had faded badly and everything looked Pepto Bismol pink. 

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I love theaters like this. Anyone else have any favorite film spots like this? 

I’m so jealous.  I’ve heard of the Music Box so many times, from listening to the Filmspotting podcast.  My son and I were in Chicago for his spring break last year.  I wanted to go but the only movie they were showing that I thought would interest him was The Thing, coincidentally enough, and it was showing at the same time as a Bulls game that we had tickets to.

I would love to see Once Upon A Time or Days of Heaven in the theater.  Actually saw Untouchables at the theater back when it came out, loved it.  I would’ve been 12.  The Thing is one of the first non-Star Wars movies that I remember seeing, saw it at the drive-in with my dad, would’ve been 7.  I know I saw other movies at the drive in with him (I remember The Car, of all things, must have been a re-release because I was 2 or 3 at the original release), but The Thing is especially memorable.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

I’m so jealous.  I’ve heard of the Music Box so many times, from listening to the Filmspotting podcast.  My son and I were in Chicago for his spring break last year.  I wanted to go but the only movie they were showing that I thought would interest him was The Thing, coincidentally enough, and it was showing at the same time as a Bulls game that we had tickets to.

I would love to see Once Upon A Time or Days of Heaven in the theater.  Actually saw Untouchables at the theater back when it came out, loved it.  I would’ve been 12.  The Thing is one of the first non-Star Wars movies that I remember seeing, saw it at the drive-in with my dad, would’ve been 7.  I know I saw other movies at the drive in with him (I remember The Car, of all things, must have been a re-release because I was 2 or 3 at the original release), but The Thing is especially memorable.

I hope you get a chance to go one day! It's totally worth it, it's an incredible atmosphere for moviegoing. Twinkling stars on the ceiling, ornate columns, movie-themed cocktails, that sort of thing. If you need an excuse to visit Chicago and go, the 70mm Film Festival is usually held in the summer and always has a great lineup. Music Box owns their own 70mm print of 2001, for example, which is a real treat! (and it's not the incorrectly color-timed Nolan release, I might add). 

I think I'll at least get a ticket for Days of Heaven, and also Mission to Mars. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

It sounds so so well....

I love these kind of events.

I will never forget when three years ago they did a David Lynch season in my city, re-releasing remastered 4K copies in the best cinemas. 

FDuie amazing. I went to the cinema every day like an excited kid going to see his first Superbowl.

In addition, before each film you could see a short film, and before the short film they played the presentation of Lynch himself...,

A delight.

Enjoy the event @hansreinhardt, those things are then remembered with longing.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Casiusco said:

It sounds so so well....

I love these kind of events.

I will never forget when three years ago they did a David Lynch season in my city, re-releasing remastered 4K copies in the best cinemas. 

FDuie amazing. I went to the cinema every day like an excited kid going to see his first Superbowl.

In addition, before each film you could see a short film, and before the short film they played the presentation of Lynch himself...,

A delight.

Enjoy the event @hansreinhardt, those things are then remembered with longing.

That sounds amazing!  I love David Lynch, yet I’ve only seen 2 of his movies in the theater.  What a great opportunity.

@hansreinhardt, one of my best friends lives in Chicago and we’ve been trying to find an excuse for me to visit with the kiddo and have fun as adults.  I just texted him and told him to keep an eye out for this festival this year, would be a perfect excuse.  Thank you for telling me.  

Found this story, granted it’s from years ago, but how cool would it be to see Krull in 70mm?  Along with obvious choices like Lawrence of Arabia (in the running for my favorite movie of all time):

https://www.rogerebert.com/features/70mm-film-festival-the-ultimate-edition-arrives-at-chicagos-music-box-theater

• Like 4