IGNORED

THX 1138 (Blu-ray Steelbook) (Sci-fi Destination Series #2) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

cypheria078

• R1s1ngs0n changed the title to THX 1138 (Blu-ray Steelbook) (Sci-fi Destination Series #2) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]
  • ★ Administrators ★
Just now, Intentcoin said:

Any idea if these will be embossed? 

oh sure, just rub salt in the wound! After I bought a whole bunch of the amaray series with this exact art now a month later they come out with steelbook versions! 🤬 

These better be matte with no ‘bossing! 

p.s. except Blade Runner of course. Heavily embossed with full gloss 😁

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, deckard99 said:

oh sure, just rub salt in the wound! After I bought a whole bunch of the amaray series with this exact art now a month later they come out with steelbook versions! 🤬 

These better be matte with no ‘bossing! 

p.s. except Blade Runner of course. Heavily embossed with full gloss 😁

Lol, a lot of the movies in this line I haven't seen so I'll probably just get the ones I like unless the steelbooks are debossed in which case I'll probably get them all. 

• Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★
2 minutes ago, Intentcoin said:

Lol, a lot of the movies in this line I haven't seen so I'll probably just get the ones I like unless the steelbooks are debossed in which case I'll probably get them all. 

Haven’t seen! 😱

I’ll double dip for BR and Logan’s Run. Please tell me you’ve seen Logan’s Run.

• ★ Administrators ★
2 minutes ago, Intentcoin said:

Uh...

tenor (11) (2).gif

oh com’on!!! Yes it’s old but it’s classic sci-fi. One of my all-time favorites and very influential on later films. Some of the effects are cringe worthy by today’s standards but it’s a 45 year old film so you gotta make some allowances. Check it out sometime! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have not seen, didn’t even know what this was/is 😂 

image.jpeg.20456475f6400b93186223ebb6ebe1ac.jpeg

A chilling exploration of the future is also a compelling examination of the present in George Lucas' THX 1138, starring Robert Duvall as a man whose mind and body are controlled by the government. THX makes an harrowing attempt to escape from a world where thoughts are controlled, freedom is an impossibility and love is the ultimate crime.”

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Veum said:

Have not seen, didn’t even know what this was/is 😂 

image.jpeg.20456475f6400b93186223ebb6ebe1ac.jpeg

A chilling exploration of the future is also a compelling examination of the present in George Lucas' THX 1138, starring Robert Duvall as a man whose mind and body are controlled by the government. THX makes an harrowing attempt to escape from a world where thoughts are controlled, freedom is an impossibility and love is the ultimate crime.”

Slow and interesting science fiction, very connected with the social doubts that were had in the '70s regarding the future; as well with what today we would call an independent sci-fi touch.

I like it a lot, but it's not a movie that everyone likes. It is not commercial sci-fi.

And yes, by George Lucas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

And yes, by George Lucas.

It's incredible how he managed to make something purely experimental with THX-1138 then turn around and make something very commercial and popular with American Graffiti (the highest grossing film at the time of its release). And this was all before Star Wars.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

It's incredible how he managed to make something purely experimental with THX-1138 then turn around and make something very commercial and popular with American Graffiti (the highest grossing film at the time of its release). And this was all before Star Wars.

True. Lucas is a much more versatile director than is sometimes perceived. Other directors of his generation have accused him more than once of having focused too much on StarWars when he could have done other important films.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Casiusco said:

True. Lucas is a much more versatile director than is sometimes perceived. Other directors of his generation have accused him more than once of having focused too much on StarWars when he could have done other important films.

As a massive Star Wars fan, I do sometimes wonder what could've been, but to do what he's done is so rare.

Just imagine an indie filmmaker nowadays creating a rather bizarre and experimental film and then a few years later make a film which grosses $1+ billion at the box office that's not based on an existing IP. 

The person I can think who comes close to that is Nolan.

• Like 1

By the way, I don't like the design of the steelbook. Not because it is ugly, which it is not, could even be considered somewhat pretty; but because THX 1138 has a very specific aesthetic concept, attractive -for me- and easy to use, which I think would have been better for it.

I understand that design is like this because it is part of a series, of a collection, it's normal doing in this way; but still, I miss a "THX 1138" steelbook or collector's edition that is connected to the "THX 1138" aesthetic or resonance.

Something minimalist and powerful.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

As a massive Star Wars fan, I do sometimes wonder what could've been, but to do what he's done is so rare.

Just imagine an indie filmmaker nowadays creating a rather bizarre and experimental film and then a few years later make a film which grosses $1+ billion at the box office that's not based on an existing IP. 

The person I can think who comes close to that is Nolan.

Being able to do two such different things, and do them well, requires a talent that not just anyone has; not any person, not any director.

And along this path we will end up thinking about the great difference between good directors and filmmakers.

Lucas is a filmmaker.

Nolan is a filmmaker.

Kubrick was a filmmaker.

J.J. Abrams or Rian Johnson are good directors, capable of doing very good things; but they are not filmmakers.

And I hope that at some point Warner releases "THX 1138" in 4K, and then some retailer will take the opportunity to give us a collector's edition. Aesthetically, it would give designers a lot of play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casiusco said:

It's almost a running gag, how Lucas said repeatedly, for years and years, "I'll just do this one more SW/Indiana Jones" thing, and then I'll get back to what I really want to do: small, independent, experimental films." He had lots of opportunities to go back to that, but...he didn't. Either he loves SW as much as the rest of us do, or when it came to it, he found he didn't have anything experimental to say after all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1