IGNORED

Better Watch Out (Birnenblatt) (BD+CDA Mediabook) [Germany]

pygospa

Release: 17.12.2020
Price: 29,99€
Cover: Cover A, Cover B, Cover C
Limitation: 333 numbered copies per cover

122410212_2066374320160423_4054026311196258204_o.thumb.jpg.f56975e6bbb45d0e40f21bc76b0bab5d.jpg122330635_2066374450160410_7675812864955947662_o.thumb.jpg.bdecab14b25ab3737cb50ad3993b1ee1.jpg122318402_2066374623493726_6471954899049333320_o.thumb.jpg.25f474bf2be513698fa3b9fe225b038b.jpg

According to Wikipedia, Better Watch Out is a psychological horror film, according to IMDB it's comedy and crime, and if you watch the trailer it foremost looks like a Christmas movie in the likes of Home Alone. Whatever it is, Birnenblatt pushed this forward - out of nowhere - even before their longer announced title Get Out, so it is available for the Christmas season. And because it is Christmas, instead of adding a DVD copy of the movie or an "Audio Booklet" (which to me is even more useless), they added an Audio CD that will contain the "A Swinging Big Band Christmas" album performed by the "London Music Works". It will come in 3 different cover artworks, each limited to 333 numbered copies. That's all what we know for now - Birnenblatt lists the companies Pretz, Media Markt, Saturn and BMV-Medien, which will carry these - I don't know if that is an exclusive list, though, and if Amazon or Co will list them as well.

The movie is a 2016 Australian production that was also filmed in Australia (Fox Studios Moore Park in Sydney), by Chris Peckover and features primary some child actors, from which two (Olivia DeJonge and Ed Oxenbould) have already perfectly worked together in M. Night Shyamalan's The Visit. Even though it did not gain much attention it holds a high critics rating, especially at Rotten Tomatoes, who also list the movie in their Top 55 Christmas movies list on place 23. However, it only got a limited cinema release in selected places and for the majority it was just a video-on-demand release.

And with that being said, here is the trailer:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What do you think about this release? Is it interesting for you? Are you planning to get one? And if yes, which cover do you prefer? I am yet undecided. In Germany this movie is pretty unknown - I couldn't find anyone in my bubble that knew the movie, and even Birnenblatt was asked about the movie and they linked a Trailer afterwards.

Reason for me to get this anyways are the two kids, which where really stunning in The Visit (which I really enjoyed, and which gave me the chills). Both are really talented, and I'd love to see where their career takes them, especially if they keep on focusing on horror movies. Plus I know far too little good Christmas movies that I actually enjoy, so this might be an addition.

Coverwise I am undecided as well - I love the Cover C from the colors but it's the common poster artwork. Cover B on the other hand is pretty unusual, and I love how they added the title into the Artwork. But it's a bit monotonous, color wise. So... which would you prefer and why? Give me some inspiration :D 

• Like 1

Good Evening @pygospa🙂

First, my apologies for not responding as of late to the variety of informative posts you have provided.

I've not been on as much lately as in the past, due to current job efforts and other items.

Thanks once more, for providing info on this release and it looks to be a lot of fun, so there's a good chance I'll try to hunt this down.

You've provided some significant info for other releases over the last few days as well in other posts that I need to check out. Getting there!  😀

I did want to let you know, I did manage to secure an order with Wicked for "The Night Walker", as part of the Anolis set.

I also recently received from Daniel; "Madhouse" (#72/100) and "Angry Red Planet".

I sent Daniel an email identifying that I still have not received "Donovan's Brain",  and he stated he will look into it.

Same with their release of "Dr Terror's House Of Horrors" and again, he is looking into it.

Tomorrow, I plan to place an order with him for;

- The Human Duplicators,

- Transylvania 6-5000 (13 Euro)

- Haunted Honeymoon (16 Euro), and

- Cadillac Man (16 Euro)

Take care buddy, I'll try to catch up on your other posts!  😀

• Like 1

Oh, @pygospa (and other friends)  🙂

As for Christmas season styled "Horror/Fantasy" films, there's been a few newer ones over the past decade I think folks need to add to their watch lists;

- Krampus (2015 original! 🤩) old world fantasy horror meets 'The Burbs', complete with awesome practical spec fx, great acting and a really smart script. Highly recommended!

- Rare Exports: what if Santa was an evil demon and elves were his minions ? what if they wanted to capture and eat kids? Perfect film. Can't rate this high enough.

- Santa's Slay: wrestler Goldberg as a very pissed off Santa. One of the funniest 'slasher fliks' I know of. Beats the "Scream" series by a mile.

- A Christmas Horror Story: Santa gets some bad vibes and goes on a North Pole murder spree. So totally bizarre, I was dumbfounded for long after.

As for older, traditional Christmas horror, we of course have;

- Christmas Evil: guy goes nuts, dresses as Santa, becomes a slasher. One of the very early fliks of the genre and applauded for its depiction of a person's disassociation psychosis.

- Silent Night, Deadly Night: same old, guy goes nuts, dresses as Santa, bodies pile up. This one caused a protest/boycott though, best publicity a movie can buy! (sequel; not so great. "Garbage Day!")

- Black Christmas: original of course! disturbed lad escapes asylum and murder stalks coed girls at a house. Another very early entry in the 'Slasher' genre and in fact, the one many acclaim started the whole genre! For historical purposes, it's a must own but it's actually a really cool flik as well. Recommended! ( ALL the remakes, are straight dumpster fire fuel).

Of course, no list is complete without adding "Gremlins" and even G-2 is really good!

Gotta own these ones, or thar's somethin' wrong wit ya, kid😉

Heh, there are so many others, I could fill a page but these are all ones that I think every film enthusiast should consider. All are extremely entertaining and worth repeated viewings.

Cheers.

Edited by Grendel
  • Thanks 1

@Grendel Nice List, I have a lot of those on my must buy list. I have heard positive things about most of those movies.

@pygospa This looks like a fun movie, might have to try and get one. I like Cover B.

Not to hijack your post, but have you heard any news about this release from Nameless. I thought it was supposed to be up for preorder by now, but can’t find any info.

44147D2E-4C14-4EC7-B598-0B8DE474C0A7.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grendel said:

First, my apologies for not responding as of late to the variety of informative posts you have provided.

I've not been on as much lately as in the past, due to current job efforts and other items.

No problems, my friend. I am not as active as I would like to be, as well. But I'll try to feed you with all the information that might be interesting for you (or to be quite honest, releases that interest me, and that I therefore share with you :D ).

5 hours ago, Grendel said:

- The Human Duplicators,

- Transylvania 6-5000 (13 Euro)

- Haunted Honeymoon (16 Euro), and

- Cadillac Man (16 Euro)

Nice selection! I hope you read my thread for The Human Duplicators, it will be just a simple Amaray (blue) release with o-card slipcover, and the quality will not be the highest possible with blu-ray, due to problematic master situation. Just something to be aware of. And you probably know that Cadillac Man will also just come in a Scanavo casing, but with a booklet. I - of course - own all of them 🙈. For Transylvania I chose the other cover though (it's also a special offer, but 16€).

4 hours ago, Grendel said:

- Krampus (2015 original! 🤩) old world fantasy horror meets 'The Burbs', complete with awesome practical spec fx, great acting and a really smart script. Highly recommended!

- Rare Exports: what if Santa was an evil demon and elves were his minions ? what if they wanted to capture and eat kids? Perfect film. Can't rate this high enough.

- Santa's Slay: wrestler Goldberg as a very pissed off Santa. One of the funniest 'slasher fliks' I know of. Beats the "Scream" series by a mile.

- A Christmas Horror Story: Santa gets some bad vibes and goes on a North Pole murder spree. So totally bizarre, I was dumbfounded for long after.

- Christmas Evil: guy goes nuts, dresses as Santa, becomes a slasher. One of the very early fliks of the genre and applauded for its depiction of a person's disassociation psychosis.

- Silent Night, Deadly Night: same old, guy goes nuts, dresses as Santa, bodies pile up. This one caused a protest/boycott though, best publicity a movie can buy! (sequel; not so great. "Garbage Day!")

- Black Christmas: original of course! disturbed lad escapes asylum and murder stalks coed girls at a house. Another very early entry in the 'Slasher' genre and in fact, the one many acclaim started the whole genre! For historical purposes, it's a must own but it's actually a really cool flik as well. Recommended! ( ALL the remakes, are straight dumpster fire fuel).

Of course, no list is complete without adding "Gremlins" and even G-2 is really good!

Thanks for the list, there is a lot I still have to watch. Krampus I've seen in a Sneak Preview and liked it so much that I got the Steelbook, and after that, as FAC (with the identical steelbook :D ). I also own Rare Export in a steelbook, and I think I've seen the movie, but I cannot really remember what it was all about, so I need to re-watch that - maybe this Christmas. I also own Silent Night, Deadly Night, in a Mediabook release by Anolis (part of their Fatastische Klassiker, Die 80er series), but also haven't seen it, yet. I am looking forward to it. Of course I chose the first cover 🤩

1-4-e1549815050979.png.ea2bb58dae240435e5c6fe48adb08638.png

Another movie I am looking forward to watch this Christmas, is "Deadly Games", which is probably quite similar to the Christmas Evil and Silent Night, Deadly Night, but from France. Said to be a really good movie, that has similarities to Home Alone, so another one fitting the this release. There is a really beautiful German DigiPak version from the independant Camera Obscura label, and for international buyers: It even has English subtitles (original soundtrack is French). I'll link a German blog article just for the picutres (beacuse Digipacks you'll need to see from all directions 😅 ).

And I'll check out all the releases you listed, let's see what I can still get for this years Christmas 🎅

2 hours ago, RAK said:

@Grendel Nice List, I have a lot of those on my must buy list. I have heard positive things about most of those movies.

@pygospa This looks like a fun movie, might have to try and get one. I like Cover B.

Not to hijack your post, but have you heard any news about this release from Nameless. I thought it was supposed to be up for preorder by now, but can’t find any info.

44147D2E-4C14-4EC7-B598-0B8DE474C0A7.jpeg

So, as far as I know there is no news on when to expect/order the Halloween releases. They just announced that preorders will be in October, but that could be as late as the 31st. They didn't get any more concrete than that. However, their Mediabooks are manufactured in the Check Republic, which apparently is hit hard again by Corona. Due to this they postponed two other releases (Short Circuit 2 and Bloodline will be postponed). So, this may also affect their other productions as well, and could push preorders into November. But that's just my speculation, there is no official information yet (as far as I am aware).

• Thanks 1

Spoiler
11 hours ago, pygospa said:

What do you think about this release? Is it interesting for you? Are you planning to get one? And if yes, which cover do you prefer? I am yet undecided. In Germany this movie is pretty unknown - I couldn't find anyone in my bubble that knew the movie, and even Birnenblatt was asked about the movie and they linked a Trailer afterwards.

Reason for me to get this anyways are the two kids, which where really stunning in The Visit (which I really enjoyed, and which gave me the chills). Both are really talented, and I'd love to see where their career takes them, especially if they keep on focusing on horror movies. Plus I know far too little good Christmas movies that I actually enjoy, so this might be an addition.

Coverwise I am undecided as well - I love the Cover C from the colors but it's the common poster artwork. Cover B on the other hand is pretty unusual, and I love how they added the title into the Artwork. But it's a bit monotonous, color wise. So... which would you prefer and why? Give me some inspiration :D 

10 hours ago, Grendel said:

Oh, @pygospa (and other friends)  🙂

As for Christmas season styled "Horror/Fantasy" films, there's been a few newer ones over the past decade I think folks need to add to their watch lists;

Heh, there are so many others, I could fill a page but these are all ones that I think every film enthusiast should consider. All are extremely entertaining and worth repeated viewings.

Cheers.

@pygospa First time I’ve heard of this movie, I’m on the fence w/it and if I did get it probably A or B.😉

@Grendel I’m just not that much interested in combing “horror” w/Christmas... that is just me though!🎅

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WKRP said:

Also are their mediabooks G1 (blu-ray) or G2 (dvd) size?

They are G1 (DVD) size. The G stands for Generation, G1 = Generation one, or first Generation - and that was DVD, while Blu-ray came later, thus second generation ;) 

Birnenblatt always does G1, i.e. DVD size, they never did anything else, so it would be a real surprise if this one wasn't DVD sized as well....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I’m a newbie and am looking for some context/direction. 

I’ve been on the lookout for this particular release for a few weeks, but I’m not able to order it from anywhere that ships to the U.S.. What is the standard practice around here when it comes to securing things like this? 

There is a recent Get Out release that I’m in the same boat with. Are these “group buy” scenarios? Have I already missed the boat unless it pops up on eBay? Is there a place where we share upcoming MBs to see if anyone is up for ordering?

Sorry if this is a silly question. I promise I’ve read a ton of introductory threads up to this point haha. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lukasskott said:

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I’m a newbie and am looking for some context/direction. 

I’ve been on the lookout for this particular release for a few weeks, but I’m not able to order it from anywhere that ships to the U.S.. What is the standard practice around here when it comes to securing things like this? 

There is a recent Get Out release that I’m in the same boat with. Are these “group buy” scenarios? Have I already missed the boat unless it pops up on eBay? Is there a place where we share upcoming MBs to see if anyone is up for ordering?

Sorry if this is a silly question. I promise I’ve read a ton of introductory threads up to this point haha. 

Use this link for the General German releases.

Hit the Green Button, and fill out the info. Just make sure it’s available before you do it.

Also have to remember that this will be a Hub shipment, and anything requested will take time to be delivered. @thomue1987 ships to the US Hub when he has enough to do a shipment. So it sometimes takes a little longer. So you have to be patient.

Edited by RAK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, RAK said:

Use this link for the General German releases.

Hit the Green Button, and fill out the info. Just make sure it’s available before you do it.

Searching for some clarification here. 

I visited the thread you linked to, and I see the green banner that is mentioned in all of the tutorial posts and such. Clicking on that link opens the form to input the desired title. That said, when I click on the “GERMANY RELEASE THREADS HERE“ hyperlink, I’m taken to a few pages of threads for releases. The release in this thread, Better Watch Out, is not listed in those three pages of releases. Does that mean it was never available to buy in a GB scenario? Am I just not looking in the right place. 

Sorry again. Obviously new here, and there’s a lot to learn haha. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lukasskott said:

Searching for some clarification here. 

I visited the thread you linked to, and I see the green banner that is mentioned in all of the tutorial posts and such. Clicking on that link opens the form to input the desired title. That said, when I click on the “GERMANY RELEASE THREADS HERE“ hyperlink, I’m taken to a few pages of threads for releases. The release in this thread, Better Watch Out, is not listed in those three pages of releases. Does that mean it was never available to buy in a GB scenario? Am I just not looking in the right place. 

Sorry again. Obviously new here, and there’s a lot to learn haha. 

There was never a GB for this! The link I sent you was for General Requests from Germany. But the info/links you want are at the top of the page.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, RAK said:

There was never a GB for this! The link I sent you was for General Requests from Germany. But the info/links you want are at the top of the page.

Gotcha. So what’s the best practice for snagging a movie like this (Better Watch Out) or any other movie that pops up on the forum but doesn’t end up with a group buy scenario? 

Feel free to DM me the answer so I can stop hijacking, but it seems like there was at least one other person in this thread looking for the same info regarding this film.  

I’m looking to pay and be a premium member, but I want to make sure there is some sort of benefit for the type of titles I’m interested in—such as these smaller run genre releases. 

I see lots of posts on upcoming or previously released Mediabooks, Steelbooks, etc., but not a ton of info on how to get it other than a direct link to the source which usually doesn’t ship to the U.S.. You’ve definitely helped me in gaining a better understanding of the Group Buy situation, so thanks! Just looking for the other side of the coin now. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WKRP said:

@Lukasskott All 3 covers are still available, and when I checked a month ago, our copies were secured but the US package was small so it hadn't shipped yet. I don't think you missed out on anything yet. 

Thanks! @RAK was kind enough to give me a MAJOR crash course yesterday, so I actually got one ordered! 🤞

Everyone here has been insanely kind so far. I didn’t know this sort of community was still possible on the internet haha. I love it.

• Like 4

On 2/28/2021 at 5:26 PM, Lukasskott said:

Ignoring all the Groupbuy procedure questions (as I cannot answer them, because I live at (or rather in) the source, so to speak, I can however share this info: "Better Watch Out" is still available in all cover variants in diverse shops (just e.g. Pretz Media). "Get Out" however is MediaMarkt/Saturn exclusive, so you can only order it via those pages, and unfortunately Cover A (most favoured one) was already sold out before the release date. Cover B and Cover C are however still available. Just regarding the A one there is no chance, other than crazy private high reseller prices.

• Thanks 1