IGNORED

Movie News

Veum

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim” — the original anime feature from New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Animation — is set for release on April 12, 2024 from Warner Bros. Pictures, Variety can report exclusively.

Set roughly two centuries before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings,” “The War of the Rohirrim” will explore the exploits of Helm Hammerhand, the King of Rohan, and the creation of Helm’s Deep, the stronghold featured in Peter Jackson’s “The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.”

Kenji Kamiyama (the TV series “Blade Runner: Black Lotus” and “Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex”) is directing with “Blade Runner: Black Lotus” producer Joseph Chou through his anime studio Sola Entertainment, which has been working on the film since it was announced in June 2021.

Edited by ShadowWarrior
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Criterion Double Indemnity (1944)

Coming in May

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1288x1600.

So0yJBlzFXZG1ganHAXLtpJPhBnmg4_large.jpg

Special Features

New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
In the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and two Blu-rays with the film and special features
Audio commentary featuring film critic Richard Schickel
New interview with film scholar Noah Isenberg, editor of Billy Wilder on Assignment
New conversation between film historians Eddie Muller and Imogen Sara Smith
Billy, How Did You Do It?, a 1992 film by Volker Schlöndorff and Gisela Grischow featuring interviews with director Billy Wilder
Shadows of Suspense, a 2006 documentary on the making of Double Indemnity
Audio excerpts from 1971 and 1972 interviews with cinematographer John F. Seitz
Radio adaptations from 1945 and 1950
Trailer
English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

Edited by Veum

Paramount Sets ‘A Quiet Place 3’ to Debut in 2025, Another ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Sequel in 2023

MCDQUPL_PA002.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1&resize=681%2C383

Paramount Pictures has given a taste of its upcoming theatrical film slate. During its annual investor day presentation on Tuesday, the studio announced plans for “A Quiet Place 3,” as well as another sequel to “Sonic the Hedgehog.”

The studio, which is often seeing as being outgunned by larger rivals such as Disney, Warner Bros. and Universal, tried to change the narrative with the investment community, hyping up its roster of film franchises.

Brian Robbins, the company’s newly installed president and chief executive officer of Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon, proclaimed that the company had “the biggest, most iconic franchises serving everyone from preschoolers to boomers to generations X, Y and Z.” He also suggested that many of these cinematic properties won’t exist purely on the big screen. They will instead “live across films, series and consumer products.”

“A Quiet Place Part III” will debut in 2025. Other than offering its release year, details — including the involvement of writer-director John Krasinski and stars Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds, and Noah Jupe — have been vague. However, their participation seems likely because the third movie will serve as a direct sequel to 2021’s pandemic-era box office hit “A Quiet Place Part II.”

After steering “A Quiet Place” to critical and commercial glory, Krasinski wrote and directed the follow-up film, which opened in May 2021 and grossed nearly $300 million globally, a huge feat amid COVID-19. The threequel is separate from writer-director Michael Sarnoski’s upcoming “A Quiet Place” installment, which takes place in the post-apocalyptic world where talking and making sounds of any kind is a big no-no but isn’t expected to center on the Abbott clan. Paramount has yet to announce who will star in the film, but the studio has scheduled it to premiere in theaters on Sept. 22, 2023.

Paramount has also commenced development on a third feature film in the “Sonic the Hedgehog” franchise. The news comes ahead of the release of “Sonic the Hedgehog 2,” which is set to open on April 8. Along with “Sonic the Hedgehog 3,” producers Paramount and Sega have set a television series about Knuckles, a character in Sonic’s orbit who is voiced by Idris Elba.

“We are delighted to announce that the third Sonic theatrical film and the first live action Sonic series for Paramount Plus are being actively developed,” Haruki Satomi, CEO of Sega Corporation. “We’ve got a remarkable partnership with Paramount, and we are excited to continue expanding the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise with them. 2022 is shaping up to be a significant year for the franchise with the second film being released this April, as well as Sonic Frontiers, the highly anticipated video game title, coming this holiday. Sonic has been beloved by fans across the world for over 30 years and we look forward to continuing to bring memorable moments and experiences to them for many years to come.”

“Sonic the Hedgehog” became a surprise success, ending its theatrical run with $319 million globally and setting a record for the highest-grossing video game adaptation in North America. Ben Schwartz is returning to voice the title character, a speedy blue creature with a knack for busting bad guys, and Jim Carrey is reprising his role as Doctor Robotnik, the mad scientist obsessed with achieving world domination. James Marsden and Tika Sumpter, as the local sheriff Tom Wachowski and his veterinarian wife Maddie, will be back for the sequel as well.

Robbins took over at Paramount in September, replacing industry veteran Jim Gianopulos. He is known for having a keen understanding of younger audiences, having launched and successfully sold AwesomenessTV. Robbins was also a major proponent of Paramount’s hit “Paw Patrol” film, which became the most streamed film title on Paramount Plus and received several shoutouts during the hour-and-change long presentation.

Paramount also used its time on stage to announce that it will bring back the “Star Trek” reboot cast and crew of Chris Pine, Zoe Saldana and Zachary Quinto in a new space adventure that is set to start shooting this year.

“We’re thrilled about this film, we have a bunch of other stories that we’re talking about that we think will be really exciting so can’t wait for you to see what we’re cooking up,” producer J.J. Abrams said. “But until then, live long and prosper.”

To highlight its franchise fare, Paramount also mentioned that it is planning a new “Transformers” trilogy starring Anthony Ramos of “In the Heights” fame and directed by “Creed II” filmmaker Steven Caple Jr., along with a spinoff animated film featuring the popular robots.

But all of these cinematic offerings are in service of growing Paramount Plus, its in-house Netflix challenger. To that end, Paramount movies will begin to stream exclusively on the series starting in 2024 and many of the new installments in the studio’s franchises will also launch spinoff films and shows.

“The home for all of our fantastic films will be Paramount Plus,” promised Robbins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Francis Ford Coppola ‘Couldn’t Care Less’ About Money as He Drops $120 Million on ‘Megalopolis’

Francis Ford Coppola speaks on stage at the Produced By Conference - Day 2 at Warner Bros. Studios on Sunday, June 8, 2014, in Burbank, Calif. (Photo by Todd Williamson/Invision for Producers Guild of America/AP Images)

Say what you will about Francis Ford Coppola, but the man has no problem betting on himself. Since founding his American Zoetrope production company in 1969, he has blazed trails for filmmakers trying to make studio-sized projects outside of the Hollywood system, both in terms of his willingness to spend his own money on his films and his work empowering other independent filmmakers. He then decided to enter the wine business and built an empire of vineyards that made him much more money than his films ever did. Now, at the age of 82 and with nothing left to prove, the director and spirit mogul is prepared to take his biggest risk yet. Coppola has spent nearly half his life trying to find funding for his dream film, “Megalopolis,” and now says he is prepared to spend $120 million of his own money to finance the movie himself.

‘Megalopolis’ has been described as an epic film that explores ideas about the possibility of building a utopian society. The film is supposedly set in a futuristic version of New York that is loosely based on Ancient Rome. Cate Blanchett, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, and Forest Whitaker have all been linked to the film, although no cast is officially confirmed.

Coppola is no stranger to having his ambitious projects rejected by studio backers. In a new interview with GQ, he recalls that after making “The Godfather,” he was arguably at his commercial peak, and yet he still could not find Hollywood funding for “Apocalypse Now.”

“I had won five Oscars and was the hottest film director in town and walked in with ‘Apocalypse Now’ and said, ‘I’d like to make this next,’” he said. “I own ‘Apocalypse Now.’ Do you know why I own ‘Apocalypse Now’? Because no one else wanted it.” His bet on “Apocalypse Now” clearly paid off, even if a similar experience self-funding “One From the Heart” left him in a $26 million hole that he spent over a decade working himself out of. But after making a fortune on his vineyards, the octogenarian director is not worried about making this investment back.

“I couldn’t care less about the financial impact whatsoever,” he said. “It means nothing to me.”

Sign Up: Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV news! Sign up for our Email Newsletters here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From a poster elsewhere…

NYT: Restoring ‘The Godfather’ to Its Original (Still Dark) Glory

Quote:
Speaking in a video interview alongside James Mockoski, the film archivist and restoration supervisor for American Zoetrope, Coppola discussed the new work on “The Godfather,” the scenes he wanted to keep dark and the scenes that almost got cut — and even worked in a plug for his latest film in progress, “Megalopolis.” These are edited excerpts from that conversation.
Quote:
Why was a restoration effort like this necessary?

FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA The studio system, which was so good at doing so much, was always weak at this question of preservation. “The Godfather” was uncannily successful in its time. But Paramount was very unprepared for that success. Suddenly it found itself showing in New York in five theaters, because there was such a demand to see it, and then in other places all over the world. Instead of saying, let’s preserve the original negative because it’s going to be a valuable asset, they basically wore it out something awful because they used it to make so many prints. The prints started to be so unlike what the movie really should look like.

JAMES MOCKOSKI There isn’t a great print of “The Godfather” from the original release. So what we relied on was Gordy’s [the film’s cinematographer, Gordon Willis] approved restoration. Other than that, we wouldn’t have a clue of how the film really looked when it was originally released.

COPPOLA And this is further complicated by the fact that Gordy Willis deliberately used a creative technique that was extremely dangerous. He flirted with it being underexposed — which is a sin — in parts of the frame. If the actor was not on his mark, if he was two feet away from where Gordy had thought he was going to be, he might be in total darkness. It made it beautiful, but it was very unforgiving.

How did you seek out the portions of film that were used in this restoration?

MOCKOSKI We found a bit more since previous restorations. Paramount found it in other [film] cans. They did an effort to cobble together the first two films [made for television and titled “The Godfather Saga”] and when they cut the film, it wound up in other cans.

Is there any unused footage from “The Godfather” that you’ve never been able to locate?

MOCKOSKI “Godfather,” because of its success, they did keep everything. Paramount had control of films like “The Conversation” [the 1974 Coppola drama]. And when that was locked and in distribution, they took everything he shot that didn’t wind up in the film and they sent it to the stock footage department. So we don’t have anything other than what you see. Later on, we kept everything from “Apocalypse Now,” “One From the Heart” and everything in our vaults.

[A spokeswoman for Paramount confirmed this, adding that the studio has 36 shots from “The Conversation” in its stock library.]

Anything in this restoration that you’re still not completely satisfied with?

MOCKOSKI There’s still stuff in the wedding scene that was of degraded quality. But overall, in this restoration, you can hardly tell that.

What is it like to scrutinize every single frame of “The Godfather”?

MOCKOSKI It’s fun to see things frame by frame, because you’ll see things that no one actually sees. When they do a fade or dissolve, you’ll see someone with a clapboard. There’s one scene — the old gentleman singing the song at the wedding, his dentures start falling out.

This is a movie that, by design, is supposed to be very dark. How do you know when you’re looking at an image that’s too dark — or not dark enough?

COPPOLA We had an early meeting between myself, Gordy Willis, Dean Tavoularis [the production designer] and Anna Hill Johnstone [the costume designer] on what the style was going to be. We talked about the use of dark and light. [In the first scenes] Don Corleone’s office would be really dark, compared against the almost overexposed, magazine-bright photography of the wedding. That was deliberate. I know, and any really thoughtful person knows, what’s important in the frame.

MOCKOSKI That’s also a danger when we retransfer it. Everyone wants to put their fingerprint on it and do something new. With the new technology, it’s trying to put more light in it. You’ve got this beautiful opening and they want to see all the details and the wood paneling. Well, that’s not the point. That’s not “Godfather.”

Were these the kinds of things you were paying close attention to during the making of the original film?

COPPOLA I can’t say that it was my nature to be worried about photographic detail. “The Godfather” was a very tough experience for me. I was young. I got pushed around and I pushed back. There was a lot of bluffing I did. I was just glad I had survived the experience of “The Godfather” and I wanted nothing more to do with it. I didn’t even want to direct “Godfather II.”

Do you ever get tired of watching “The Godfather”?

COPPOLA No. Never.

MOCKOSKI I’m always nervous to show him because maybe he’ll say, “Ah, but you know what I’d like to do that I wasn’t able to is make these changes ——” and here comes a different cut. But he would sit there and watch it. He never gets tired of it and he’ll have the greatest stories. [To Coppola] You told me when we did the last review that they didn’t want you to shoot the scene where Brando has a heart attack.

COPPOLA That was cut from the script. Paramount figured, when you cut to the cemetery, you’ll know he died. But I stole that [scene] by getting a little early at the wedding and having the tomatoes in the same place. Brando said, let me do this trick that I do for my own [children]. And he did the orange-peel trick. It was his idea and he saved me. Thanks to Marlon Brando and Dean Tavoularis for getting the tomatoes. We had to fly them in from some other place and it was a big scandal of how much they had cost for a scene that was cut from the script.

Do you have any desire to re-edit “The Godfather” in the way you reshaped “The Godfather Part III” into “The Godfather, Coda”?

COPPOLA “Godfather,” I would say there’s no changes I want to make. There are some pictures that I have and am changing and some I won’t touch. But there’s no rule of thumb as to which those are. Ask me now, a movie, if I’m going to change it or not. You have a movie of mine you want to ask me about?

Uh — I just rewatched “Bram Stoker’s Dracula” a few weeks ago. How about that?

COPPOLA There are no changes to “Dracula.” That is the cut. “Dracula” is a finished movie.

“The Godfather” has already endured for 50 years. If it should turn out to be the movie you’re best known for, are you at peace with that?

COPPOLA I think it’s already the movie I’m most known for. If you ask everyone to name why I should be at all even considered of importance, they’ll say “The Godfather.” Maybe “Apocalypse Now” is a close second. “Apocalypse Now” is a more unusual and more interesting movie, in some ways. But I was always making films that I actually did not know how to make and learning from the film itself. That’s why my career is so weird. I assure you, “Megalopolis” is the most ambitious, the most unusual and the weirdest film I’ve ever attempted and I have no idea how to make it. And I love that, because I know it will teach me.

via NYT

• Like 3

TheWitch_3DPackshot_1024x1024@2x.png?v=1

• Load image into Gallery viewer, The Witch Limited Edition 4K UHD Blu-ray: Pre-Order Available April 19th
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, The Witch Limited Edition 4K UHD Blu-ray: Pre-Order Available April 19th

The Witch Limited Edition 4K UHD Blu-ray: Pre-Order Available April 19th

Regular price
£39.99

Director: Robert Eggers

Starring: Anya Taylor-Joy, Ralph Ineson, Kate Dickie and Harvey Scrimshaw

New England, 1630. Upon threat of banishment by the church, an English farmer leaves his colonial plantation and relocates his family to a remote plot of land on the edge of an ominous forest—within which lurks an unknown evil. Strange and unsettling things begin to happen —animals turn malevolent, crops fail, one child disappears and another seems to become possessed by an evil spirit. With suspicion and paranoia mounting, daughter Thomasin is accused of witchcraft.

Special Features 

4K UHD presented in Dolby Vision HDR Archive audio commentary by Director Robert Eggers New audio commentary by film writer and broadcaster Anna Bogutskaya A Puritan Nightmare: a new interview with Robert Eggers Embracing Darkness: a new interview with Anya Taylor-Joy Love Thy Father: a new interview Ralph Ineson A Pious Wife: a new interview with Actor Kate Dickie Caleb’s Lament: a new interview with Actor Harvey Scrimshaw A Primal Folktale: features interviews with Robert Eggers and cast BFI London Film Festival Q&A with Robert Eggers, Anya Taylor-Joy, Ralph Ineson and Producer Jay Van Hoy Brothers: a short film by Robert Eggers Optional English subtitles for the hearing impaired

Limited Edition Contents

Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Peter Diamond 150 page hardback book with new essays by Emerson Baker, Daniel Bird, Anton Bitel, Charles Bramesco, Lillian Crawford, Shelagh Rowan-Legg and Anya Stanley plus stills, costume and production design gallery. 6 collectors' art cards 

Catalogue number: 2NDBR4143

Certificate: 15

Region: 4K UHD Region Free / Blu-ray Region B

The Witch Limited Edition 4K UHD Blu-ray: Pre-Order Available April 19th

• Like 3

Eurocrime! 

EKA70459_REVOLVER_OCARD_website-500px.jpg
EKA70459_REVOLVER_both-packs_website.jpg
EKA70459_REVOLVER_BD_pack_website-500px.jpg

Revolver (Blu-ray)

Director: Sergio Sollima

Stars: Oliver Reed

1973 Italy

CrimeThriller

£17.99

Release Date: 16th May 2022
Revolver quantity
Pre-Order Now

Revolver (Blu-ray)

Violent City [Blu-ray] [2022]

Violent City [Blu-ray] [2022]
£18.00

£10.70 delivery

This title will be released on May 16, 2022.  
Pre-order now. 

On 2/14/2022 at 2:09 PM, Veum said:

image.thumb.png.f1b611d75ac6a9eedf57531a55676650.png

On 3/2/2022 at 9:35 AM, Veum said:

image.thumb.jpeg.950eecff7de2d2ab54e3863e09c630f2.jpeg

This picture is the only information we have on the packaging for the Deluxe 4k.

image.thumb.jpeg.ea15b0a9635673a3915d49428a38ab7d.jpeg

this is what the normal version looks like.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:18 AM, Veum said:

Yes, although I just stopped my Deluxe set order from Target this morning…

I’m going to wait for it to come down much more in price! 😉 

🥤🤠 ordered these 2 tonight from DeepDiscount.com 🦈 

coupon

The Godfather Trilogy 4K/Downton Abby 4K Save an extra 10% on in-stock items only with coupon code HATTER - click for info

SB

Downton Abbey 4K (Blu-ray)

On 2/15/2022 at 6:38 PM, Veum said:
Criterion Double Indemnity (1944)

Coming in May

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1288x1600.

So0yJBlzFXZG1ganHAXLtpJPhBnmg4_large.jpg

Special Features

New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
In the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and two Blu-rays with the film and special features
Audio commentary featuring film critic Richard Schickel
New interview with film scholar Noah Isenberg, editor of Billy Wilder on Assignment
New conversation between film historians Eddie Muller and Imogen Sara Smith
Billy, How Did You Do It?, a 1992 film by Volker Schlöndorff and Gisela Grischow featuring interviews with director Billy Wilder
Shadows of Suspense, a 2006 documentary on the making of Double Indemnity
Audio excerpts from 1971 and 1972 interviews with cinematographer John F. Seitz
Radio adaptations from 1945 and 1950
Trailer
English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

I will never stop admiring the talent of the Criterion designers to offer us covers that are so simple in appearance... but so well made and so strongly linked to the film, also always assuming a point of true elegance that makes them, even being simple, very pleasant to look at.

That's talent.

On 2/16/2022 at 3:05 AM, ShadowWarrior said:

Paramount Sets ‘A Quiet Place 3’ to Debut in 2025, Another ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Sequel in 2023

MCDQUPL_PA002.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1&resize=681%2C383

Paramount Pictures has given a taste of its upcoming theatrical film slate. During its annual investor day presentation on Tuesday, the studio announced plans for “A Quiet Place 3,” as well as another sequel to “Sonic the Hedgehog.”

The studio, which is often seeing as being outgunned by larger rivals such as Disney, Warner Bros. and Universal, tried to change the narrative with the investment community, hyping up its roster of film franchises.

Brian Robbins, the company’s newly installed president and chief executive officer of Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon, proclaimed that the company had “the biggest, most iconic franchises serving everyone from preschoolers to boomers to generations X, Y and Z.” He also suggested that many of these cinematic properties won’t exist purely on the big screen. They will instead “live across films, series and consumer products.”

“A Quiet Place Part III” will debut in 2025. Other than offering its release year, details — including the involvement of writer-director John Krasinski and stars Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds, and Noah Jupe — have been vague. However, their participation seems likely because the third movie will serve as a direct sequel to 2021’s pandemic-era box office hit “A Quiet Place Part II.”

After steering “A Quiet Place” to critical and commercial glory, Krasinski wrote and directed the follow-up film, which opened in May 2021 and grossed nearly $300 million globally, a huge feat amid COVID-19. The threequel is separate from writer-director Michael Sarnoski’s upcoming “A Quiet Place” installment, which takes place in the post-apocalyptic world where talking and making sounds of any kind is a big no-no but isn’t expected to center on the Abbott clan. Paramount has yet to announce who will star in the film, but the studio has scheduled it to premiere in theaters on Sept. 22, 2023.

Paramount has also commenced development on a third feature film in the “Sonic the Hedgehog” franchise. The news comes ahead of the release of “Sonic the Hedgehog 2,” which is set to open on April 8. Along with “Sonic the Hedgehog 3,” producers Paramount and Sega have set a television series about Knuckles, a character in Sonic’s orbit who is voiced by Idris Elba.

“We are delighted to announce that the third Sonic theatrical film and the first live action Sonic series for Paramount Plus are being actively developed,” Haruki Satomi, CEO of Sega Corporation. “We’ve got a remarkable partnership with Paramount, and we are excited to continue expanding the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise with them. 2022 is shaping up to be a significant year for the franchise with the second film being released this April, as well as Sonic Frontiers, the highly anticipated video game title, coming this holiday. Sonic has been beloved by fans across the world for over 30 years and we look forward to continuing to bring memorable moments and experiences to them for many years to come.”

“Sonic the Hedgehog” became a surprise success, ending its theatrical run with $319 million globally and setting a record for the highest-grossing video game adaptation in North America. Ben Schwartz is returning to voice the title character, a speedy blue creature with a knack for busting bad guys, and Jim Carrey is reprising his role as Doctor Robotnik, the mad scientist obsessed with achieving world domination. James Marsden and Tika Sumpter, as the local sheriff Tom Wachowski and his veterinarian wife Maddie, will be back for the sequel as well.

Robbins took over at Paramount in September, replacing industry veteran Jim Gianopulos. He is known for having a keen understanding of younger audiences, having launched and successfully sold AwesomenessTV. Robbins was also a major proponent of Paramount’s hit “Paw Patrol” film, which became the most streamed film title on Paramount Plus and received several shoutouts during the hour-and-change long presentation.

Paramount also used its time on stage to announce that it will bring back the “Star Trek” reboot cast and crew of Chris Pine, Zoe Saldana and Zachary Quinto in a new space adventure that is set to start shooting this year.

“We’re thrilled about this film, we have a bunch of other stories that we’re talking about that we think will be really exciting so can’t wait for you to see what we’re cooking up,” producer J.J. Abrams said. “But until then, live long and prosper.”

To highlight its franchise fare, Paramount also mentioned that it is planning a new “Transformers” trilogy starring Anthony Ramos of “In the Heights” fame and directed by “Creed II” filmmaker Steven Caple Jr., along with a spinoff animated film featuring the popular robots.

But all of these cinematic offerings are in service of growing Paramount Plus, its in-house Netflix challenger. To that end, Paramount movies will begin to stream exclusively on the series starting in 2024 and many of the new installments in the studio’s franchises will also launch spinoff films and shows.

“The home for all of our fantastic films will be Paramount Plus,” promised Robbins.

A quiet place 3!!!

If they continue to make good films, as they have done up to now, and also try to advance the story a bit, and not just repeat what has already been done, it could end up being a great saga.

Love it.

On 2/20/2022 at 3:06 AM, ShadowWarrior said:

Francis Ford Coppola ‘Couldn’t Care Less’ About Money as He Drops $120 Million on ‘Megalopolis’

Francis Ford Coppola speaks on stage at the Produced By Conference - Day 2 at Warner Bros. Studios on Sunday, June 8, 2014, in Burbank, Calif. (Photo by Todd Williamson/Invision for Producers Guild of America/AP Images)

Say what you will about Francis Ford Coppola, but the man has no problem betting on himself. Since founding his American Zoetrope production company in 1969, he has blazed trails for filmmakers trying to make studio-sized projects outside of the Hollywood system, both in terms of his willingness to spend his own money on his films and his work empowering other independent filmmakers. He then decided to enter the wine business and built an empire of vineyards that made him much more money than his films ever did. Now, at the age of 82 and with nothing left to prove, the director and spirit mogul is prepared to take his biggest risk yet. Coppola has spent nearly half his life trying to find funding for his dream film, “Megalopolis,” and now says he is prepared to spend $120 million of his own money to finance the movie himself.

‘Megalopolis’ has been described as an epic film that explores ideas about the possibility of building a utopian society. The film is supposedly set in a futuristic version of New York that is loosely based on Ancient Rome. Cate Blanchett, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, and Forest Whitaker have all been linked to the film, although no cast is officially confirmed.

Coppola is no stranger to having his ambitious projects rejected by studio backers. In a new interview with GQ, he recalls that after making “The Godfather,” he was arguably at his commercial peak, and yet he still could not find Hollywood funding for “Apocalypse Now.”

“I had won five Oscars and was the hottest film director in town and walked in with ‘Apocalypse Now’ and said, ‘I’d like to make this next,’” he said. “I own ‘Apocalypse Now.’ Do you know why I own ‘Apocalypse Now’? Because no one else wanted it.” His bet on “Apocalypse Now” clearly paid off, even if a similar experience self-funding “One From the Heart” left him in a $26 million hole that he spent over a decade working himself out of. But after making a fortune on his vineyards, the octogenarian director is not worried about making this investment back.

“I couldn’t care less about the financial impact whatsoever,” he said. “It means nothing to me.”

Sign Up: Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV news! Sign up for our Email Newsletters here.

He is the boss. And the cinema needs people like that.

It doesn't matter how many years have passed, it doesn't matter that energies or creativity vary over time. Nothing matters. He has given us films so great, so important, so influential, that just as a matter of respect and admiration he deserves our trust.

That he is going to risk (again!!!) what he has, his money, big money.... to make a new film see the light, is the opposite of what has been done in recent years in this industry.

Long live and glory to Francis Ford Coppola!

And hopefully "Megalopolis" succeeds.

On 2/21/2022 at 8:02 PM, ShadowWarrior said:

FB_IMG_1645470152921.jpg

I really want to see it.

I'm one of those who liked the first one, but I had the feeling of being the first half of a movie, not a first part.

And I want more. :) 

On 3/2/2022 at 3:35 PM, Veum said:

image.thumb.jpeg.950eecff7de2d2ab54e3863e09c630f2.jpeg

This picture is the only information we have on the packaging for the Deluxe 4k.

this is what the normal version looks like.

The truth is that they have made an effort to release a better collector's edition than is usually done (at least lately) by the majors. And being a classic movie, it has even more merit.

We have no news of the commented future UHD Club edition that was going to be done someday, but, of course, the bar is now a little higher. And this is good.

;) 

• Like 3