IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

there's a 4k for kindergarten cop? hits me right in the feels. my mom took me to see that movie when I was 5. idolized Schwarzenegger in my younger days. back in the 90's you could sit in the theater and wait for the next showing without being pushed out so we watched it twice. did the same for rocketeer. 

Yep! It just recently released on the 23rd. I haven't read any reviews yet since I don't believe anyone has really gotten their discs, so hopefully it is really good. It's being released by Kino, so.......it's 50/50, haha. 

• Like 3

Awards

34 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

I'll have to give it another shot, I enjoyed it but I didn't love it. The shoddy DeNiro de-aging really took me out of the story every time. 

OK since you’ve seen it have you seen these:

Killing Them Softly (2012)

The plot — based on George V. Higgins' novel "Cogan's Trade" — is about two hitmen, Jackie (Pitt) and Mickey (Gandolfini). They are sent to kill three small-time criminals who robbed an illegal poker game run by a known Mafioso. However, Jackie realizes that after his release from prison, Mickey lost his ability to do this job and started drinking and hooking up with prostitutes — essentially violating his parole conditions. So, left on his own, Jackie decides to get the job done in his own way to collect the fee he was promised by a member of the mob.

Cold in July (2014)

Everything starts with a burglary in the home of Richard Dane (Michael C. Hall) and his family. Richard catches the intruder and shoots him by accident. When identified, he finds out that the man is a convicted felon named Freddy Russell (Wyatt Russell). Since he feels bad for the guy, Richard shows up at his funeral, where Russell's father, Ben (Sam Shephard), threatens him. Later, Ben breaks into Richard's house despite police officers guarding the place. Eventually, Ben gets caught, and when Richard goes to the police station to identify him, he sees a wanted picture of Freddy and realizes he's not the man he shot before. The police ignore him, claiming that his memory is unreliable due to shock and trauma, but he continues to hunt for the person he actually killed. Later, he realizes that there's a complex conspiracy surrounding this case. He proves to Ben that he didn't murder his son, and the two set out to uncover the truth.

I think I’ll try this one today it is on my Prime Video! 😯 

Chained (2012)

One day, Bob chooses a young mother and her 9-year-old son, Tim (Evan Bird). After killing the woman, he decides to keep the boy alive because he has a plan. He chains the child to a wall, forces him to do house chores, and makes him bury his victims after he's done with them. Bob also begins teaching him human anatomy to turn him into a serial killer. He uses different methods to manipulate the boy, which works well for a while until the day comes when the child is supposed to kill his first victim. Instead, he begins to bond with the girl, and his dark life takes an unexpected turn.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Veum said:

Cold in July (2014)

Chained (2012)

I haven't seen those. Killing Them Softly has been on my radar for awhile though, just haven't gotten around to it. Hadn't heard of the other two, Michael C. Hall is always great, loved Dexter. Thanks for the recommendations! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Veum said:

The plot — based on George V. Higgins' novel "Cogan's Trade" — is about two hitmen, Jackie (Pitt) and Mickey (Gandolfini). They are sent to kill three small-time criminals who robbed an illegal poker game run by a known Mafioso. However, Jackie realizes that after his release from prison, Mickey lost his ability to do this job and started drinking and hooking up with prostitutes — essentially violating his parole conditions. So, left on his own, Jackie decides to get the job done in his own way to collect the fee he was promised by a member of the mob.

Cold in July (2014)

Everything starts with a burglary in the home of Richard Dane (Michael C. Hall) and his family. Richard catches the intruder and shoots him by accident. When identified, he finds out that the man is a convicted felon named Freddy Russell (Wyatt Russell). Since he feels bad for the guy, Richard shows up at his funeral, where Russell's father, Ben (Sam Shephard), threatens him. Later, Ben breaks into Richard's house despite police officers guarding the place. Eventually, Ben gets caught, and when Richard goes to the police station to identify him, he sees a wanted picture of Freddy and realizes he's not the man he shot before. The police ignore him, claiming that his memory is unreliable due to shock and trauma, but he continues to hunt for the person he actually killed. Later, he realizes that there's a complex conspiracy surrounding this case. He proves to Ben that he didn't murder his son, and the two set out to uncover the truth.

I think I’ll try this one today it is on my Prime Video! 😯 

Chained (2012)

One day, Bob chooses a young mother and her 9-year-old son, Tim (Evan Bird). After killing the woman, he decides to keep the boy alive because he has a plan. He chains the child to a wall, forces him to do house chores, and makes him bury his victims after he's done with them. Bob also begins teaching him human anatomy to turn him into a serial killer. He uses different methods to manipulate the boy, which works well for a while until the day comes when the child is supposed to kill his first victim. Instead, he begins to bond with the girl, and his dark life takes an unexpected turn.

Hard agree on Killing Them Softly, though I think it’s not for everyone.  A little slow and strange, in a good way to me.  It’s funny, I saw this in the theater because Dominik’s previous movie, (deep breath) The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is a favorite of mine.  The only people in the theater were me and an older couple in the back.  The older couple made it to the heroin scene and walked out; had the theater to myself for the rest of the movie.

Have had Cold in July recommended to me several times, based on a book by Joe Lansdale who I tend to like, every time I looked for it I couldn’t find it on any of my streaming services.  Looks like right now it’s on Tubi, Plex and Kanopy (that one would have no ads).

Along these lines, and I know I already mentioned it in gangster movies, I can’t recommend this one enough (based on a George V. Higgins book, I believe he also wrote the book that Killing Them Softly is based on):

IMG_0645.jpeg.5cdff278c91186abdc07f132c618dbee.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Veum said:

terminator ill be back GIF

Fellows I do not recommend  Chained  the only redeeming part of the film was the acting of the boys named Rabbit, other then that pure trash 🗑  🫤 

You know when you blind-watch you win some and you lose some, I chalk this up as a…

Will Ferrell Loser GIF

Looked it up. Interesting that this one was directed by Jennifer Lynch, David Lynch's daughter. What was the style like? Does the apple fall far from the tree? 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, hansreinhardt said:

Looked it up. Interesting that this one was directed by Jennifer Lynch, David Lynch's daughter. What was the style like? Does the apple fall far from the tree? 

It was just a slow sleazy serial-killer type of film for me and not a very good type of serial-killer film IMO at that, blah 😒 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good night, everybody.

Hoy me acuesto tarde después de ver los primeros episodios de la cuarta temporada de True Detective. Me gusta, lo estoy pasando bien. Veremos cómo continúa. Espero que siga con este nivel.

Aún así, la Primera Temporada fue algo superior. Superior al resto de temporadas, y superior a muchas cosas.

Take a rest you all!

• Like 6

On 1/24/2024 at 10:06 PM, Heywoodmoutaw said:

I didn’t realize there were 3 sizes of this book, thought it was only 2.  I may have confused prices between the one I got and the XL.   I was aware of the enormous one; it’s beautiful, wish I could afford it.

Yes, there are three sizes:

The first was the XXL, which in a historical mistake I did not buy. It was too big, monumental. 

I will never regret enough not having bought it.

Then came the smaller version, which they still sell today on their website.

And years later the smaller one came out.

7a_02z0YS5eo8GhFmXZE_tViNMZoeJdqvcVGmiZq

• Like 6

On 1/24/2024 at 6:04 PM, hansreinhardt said:

Maybe we were there at the same time! I'm glad you got a chance to go too, it really was a magical experience wasn't it? There's something about those items from these masterpieces of cinema actually being right in front of you, being real, tangible, it connects you to the film in a whole new way.

u0TzS0.gif.49797fdfe740fb30e64bd98c86b6d158.gif

47c4b23e-5795-4364-8c16-9198f89f892d_text.gif.7c58bcdee6192293fba7a4bb7493b62a.gif

It would be funny if we had been there at the same time, yes. Without knowing each other. 

For me it was a magical, vital, overwhelming experience. After adoring his cinema almost all my life, to see there, so close, the objects he used to work with, in that environment; the figures, furniture, and costumes of each film.... I was there as long as I could, and I forced the situation so much that I almost missed the fly back to Spain. And I could have been there much longer.

Precisely because it was real, it was tangible. And not only Kubrick and his work, but also each of the worlds he created.

It was no longer the film that happened, but it was me who went from seeing a piece of furniture in the couple's house in "A Clockwork Orange", to having a napkin with "Fidelio" written on it just a few centimetres from my nose.

It was an unforgettable experience.

And, by the way, I came back with a few merchandising items.

Good luck meant that years later that exhibition was in Barcelona, and later in Madrid. But bad luck prevented me from going to see it again as I had planned.

The good news is that two years ago I landed in Trieste, Italy, and on my way to rent a car I looked to my right and saw a sign: exhibition of photographs taken by Stanley Kubrick. There I went, without hesitation.

And the exhibition that you and I saw... yes, definitely, I would repeat. And not just once.

It was spiritual, transcendent, beautiful, impressive, artistic. My eyes opened like David Bowman's and I left the Design Museum smiling like a child.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

2 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

@Heywoodmoutaw If you haven't seen it already, check this one out as well:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073451/

It makes a great double bill with The Friends of Eddie Coyle.

Thanks, sincerely.  I’d somehow never heard of this one and I’m a guy who thinks Jason Miller should’ve been in 2 movies a year for 40 years.  That looks very cool.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

@Heywoodmoutaw If you haven't seen it already, check this one out as well:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073451/

It makes a great double bill with The Friends of Eddie Coyle.

Re: The Nickel Ride (1973) - thanks for the crime rec! Always looking for quality films like Friends of Eddie Coyle

• Like 6

Awards

Good morning, everyone.

I just saw that yesterday I wrote 3 messages, and one was in Spanish, not English. That's the thing about being tired, you start writing in one language, change to another... and you don't realize it. And only because I was tired, eh, I hadn't drunk anything inappropriate. 

drunk-sleep.gif

Now something a bit more serious.

These days in Spain there is a big scandal in the world of cinema. Carlos Vermut is (¿was?) a director who had made three well-known films in independent film circles, who had won big awards in Spain, and who was taken as a great director in the future, a guy with a very personal vision.

But on Friday a fairly thorough journalistic investigation showed him as a guy who sexually -hard- assaulted people in his filmmaking entourage, sometimes with promises of future work. The chilling thing about this case is that the newspaper contacted him, and in his answers he doesn't seem like a guy aware of what he did; but, what's worse: no one in the industry came out to defend him, or appealed to the presumption of innocence. As if everyone knew. It didn't seem to surprise anyone.

Everyone is sure that this is true. Even people who worked with him.

Now the discussion in Spain is whether his films should continue to be seen or not.

And it is curious, because I have always been in favor of separating people and their works, of not "canceling" art because the person is despicable. Someone terrible can make wonderful works. And yet, after reading some things, sometimes it is not easy to do so.

In my case it's easy, because I wasn't a fan of his, and honestly, I think the fame of his films was exaggerated and undeserved. I didn't used to watch it, and nothing changes.

Now then: it's a difficult debate, isn't it?

• Like 9