IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning, everybody.

It's time to reach the 1000 page of this thread!!

Trying to help achieve it, and knowing that there is nothing like the conflict to add pages, I propose the following topics:

• StarWars Episode III has more true StarWars than the third trilogy put together.
  • Scorsese was right.
  • Why do we know about the women who were terribly and disgustingly abused by Harvey Weinstein, but nobody want to name the ones who willingly used this possibility to climb?
  • In premium collector's editions the material they are made of is more important than the goodies.
  • Actually, Veum is Tom Cruise in his spare time.
  • Dogville is a great film.
  • Cinema has to be studied at high schools.
  • The best of "NOP!" is the monkey scene.

And the most important word to make that thread fly: "Scarlett".

PastelCreepyGemsbok-size_restricted.gif

fe8838012d40538c9b5e1f3d5678615a.gif

Let's go, 1000 page! ;) 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pbsw23 said:

Hi @Casiusco I hope you’re well my Man.

Wow, thank you for going to the trouble of posting this analysis. It makes for Very interesting reading indeed. In the case of Isak, Real Sociedad have pulled off daylight robbery here, and fair play to them! In the cases of Cucurella and Isak, I think it’s fair to say that Chelsea (recently taken over by a billionaire American) and Newcastle (recently taken over by a Saudi Prince and allegedly now the richest club in the world) are absolutely being held to ransom. Not only that, the closer we get to the transfer window closing, the more ridiculous theses sale prices will become.

Man Utd have just signed Antony from Ajax for £80million. That makes him the most expensive player ever to be sold from the Eredivisie. Now is he worth £80mil? Or is it because it’s Man Utd making the bid, and the they along with other wealthy clubs are desperately chasing Liverpool and Man City? 🤷🏼‍♂️ I’m sure we all have our opinions on that, but I do agree with you that the English clubs are paying wayyyy over the odds these days.

The Premier League has become a billionaires playground, and only one club remains under English ownership. That club (Bournemouth) came up from the Championship this season and if they want to progress, they will ultimately require investment which in turn will lead to another overseas billionaire take over no doubt.

Gone are the days of Barca, Real Madrid, Juventus and even Man Utd being the wealthiest clubs in the world. And now so much investment has gone into the English game, that it’s becoming ugly with its greed. The Big 6 breakaway story that rumbled on over lockdown was quite frankly clueless and disgusting. 50% of the Prem is under American ownership now, mostly with ties to American Football or Baseball owners. Sadly our own English business men and women cannot compete at that level of wealth and our game is ever changing.

Te

ps. Rodrigo has started off pretty well so far…. Let’s see if he can keep it up. 

E2524BD7-75D2-4D9C-A261-985EB920769F.png

Thank you very much for your interesting explanation about English clubs and their millionaire owners.

In Spain the press makes a lot of noise complaining about the money that the English clubs or PSG have, they call them club-states, and they say that this breaks the competition, it's not fair to the other teams. But they say it because in Spain the sports press is mainly from Madrid, and although they pretend to talk about everyone, in reality they defend -and promote- their teams.

It's absurd that they talk about "club-states", or complain that enslish teams and PSG have so much money and can alter the market, when Real Madrid and Barcelona -and in a lesser extent also Atlético de Madrid- have always behaved like club-states inside Spain.

The Spanish League money distribution system is designed so that they always receive a lot, do it well or badly, and that the differences between those who receive the most and the rest are greater than in any other league.

The media put these three teams in your eyes, no matter what they do.

So that you understand me: my team is Celta de Vigo, we play in the Spanish "La Liga", like Real Madrid, Barcelona, and the rest; but I have to send the older people in my family the schedules of our matches in advance because they don't even mention it on television. It's a mid-table team, but iIf I don't send it to them, watching national TV they don't even know when the other teams play.

Basically, I suppose that the situation of the English teams and the millionaires must be a bit frustrating for the fans. Normally, millionaires are always welcomed with open arms, but it is a love story that often does not end well.

The same will end up happening in Spain. For sure. If it hasn't happened yet, it's because in Spain Real Madrid and Barcelona are privileged and they are not required to be companies, legally, they are still legally like amateur clubs, not like the others. For them it is fantastic, because the economic legislation is completely different. 

For example: Barcelona has 1.2 billion in debt, and is continually signing up. If it were legally a company, this would be impossible: a judge would take control of the club, and decide what the money is used for, and whether to pay off the debt or close the entity by selling what is left. This happened to my club after playing in the Champions League twenty years ago, the judge said that the debt had to be settled, and we spent a terrible decade, with several years in the Second Division, without to spend one euro in new players, only signing free players.

But no, here they can be in debt forever.

And while they can't be bought by millionaires, the millionaires we already have are a bit low-cost. :D 

I find some parallels between my team and yours: here too a great effort has been made with the academy, and we have very good young players, many internationals with Spain in under age categories. The bad thing is that, once again, money rules: in Spain, to sign a under 18 aged player, you get to give his father a job and say that the family has to leave, as if it were not a signing. You can only make a contract with the boys for the last few years, and under very specific and limited conditions.

Result? We train players... to be taken for free, or almost for free. For example: Rodrigo Moreno, who on his day went to Madrid. Another example: Bajcetic, who made his debut this weekend for Liverpool, and who was one of the children who were taken from us by several English clubs in the last days before Brexit, when the door was closing. Last summer Real Madrid stole the best young player from us again. And the most ironic thing is that later, after a few months there, the press will name him as product of their shining academy.

Clubs like yours and mine urgently need legislation that protects both children, so that they are not the object of speculation and market, as is happening now; as well as to protect the academies that train them. It makes no sense to invest money, resources and efforts, so that when you have a good one they take it away paying nothing.

And I'm glad Rodrigo Moreno is fine, I hope he gives you a lot of joy.

I'm also surprised by Odegaard's numbers. Real Madrid is a crusher of young boys who think they are going to be stars, and end up forgotten. Getting up later is not easy.

Let's see how this season goes. At the moment Leeds is doing well, I hope it continues like this. By my side, I'm not very happy at the moment. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Veum said:

🎾 Not a fair one w/o Novak Djokovic 😠 

Agreed.  But still some exciting tennis to come with fantastic talent on men's and women's side.  The Djoker issue is what it is.  Not much anyone can do about it.  Government made its rules, and we know how slow governments are at changing anything, or agreeing on anything for that matter.

Edited by Boilersteel

10 hours ago, Casiusco said:

Thank you very much for your interesting explanation about English clubs and their millionaire owners.

In Spain the press makes a lot of noise complaining about the money that the English clubs or PSG have, they call them club-states, and they say that this breaks the competition, it's not fair to the other teams. But they say it because in Spain the sports press is mainly from Madrid, and although they pretend to talk about everyone, in reality they defend -and promote- their teams.

It's absurd that they talk about "club-states", or complain that enslish teams and PSG have so much money and can alter the market, when Real Madrid and Barcelona -and in a lesser extent also Atlético de Madrid- have always behaved like club-states inside Spain.

The Spanish League money distribution system is designed so that they always receive a lot, do it well or badly, and that the differences between those who receive the most and the rest are greater than in any other league.

The media put these three teams in your eyes, no matter what they do.

So that you understand me: my team is Celta de Vigo, we play in the Spanish "La Liga", like Real Madrid, Barcelona, and the rest; but I have to send the older people in my family the schedules of our matches in advance because they don't even mention it on television. It's a mid-table team, but iIf I don't send it to them, watching national TV they don't even know when the other teams play.

Basically, I suppose that the situation of the English teams and the millionaires must be a bit frustrating for the fans. Normally, millionaires are always welcomed with open arms, but it is a love story that often does not end well.

The same will end up happening in Spain. For sure. If it hasn't happened yet, it's because in Spain Real Madrid and Barcelona are privileged and they are not required to be companies, legally, they are still legally like amateur clubs, not like the others. For them it is fantastic, because the economic legislation is completely different. 

For example: Barcelona has 1.2 billion in debt, and is continually signing up. If it were legally a company, this would be impossible: a judge would take control of the club, and decide what the money is used for, and whether to pay off the debt or close the entity by selling what is left. This happened to my club after playing in the Champions League twenty years ago, the judge said that the debt had to be settled, and we spent a terrible decade, with several years in the Second Division, without to spend one euro in new players, only signing free players.

But no, here they can be in debt forever.

And while they can't be bought by millionaires, the millionaires we already have are a bit low-cost. :D 

I find some parallels between my team and yours: here too a great effort has been made with the academy, and we have very good young players, many internationals with Spain in under age categories. The bad thing is that, once again, money rules: in Spain, to sign a under 18 aged player, you get to give his father a job and say that the family has to leave, as if it were not a signing. You can only make a contract with the boys for the last few years, and under very specific and limited conditions.

Result? We train players... to be taken for free, or almost for free. For example: Rodrigo Moreno, who on his day went to Madrid. Another example: Bajcetic, who made his debut this weekend for Liverpool, and who was one of the children who were taken from us by several English clubs in the last days before Brexit, when the door was closing. Last summer Real Madrid stole the best young player from us again. And the most ironic thing is that later, after a few months there, the press will name him as product of their shining academy.

Clubs like yours and mine urgently need legislation that protects both children, so that they are not the object of speculation and market, as is happening now; as well as to protect the academies that train them. It makes no sense to invest money, resources and efforts, so that when you have a good one they take it away paying nothing.

And I'm glad Rodrigo Moreno is fine, I hope he gives you a lot of joy.

I'm also surprised by Odegaard's numbers. Real Madrid is a crusher of young boys who think they are going to be stars, and end up forgotten. Getting up later is not easy.

Let's see how this season goes. At the moment Leeds is doing well, I hope it continues like this. By my side, I'm not very happy at the moment. :) 

I have to be honest, the La Liga does sound a touch corrupt by your explanation, but it must all be above board in todays day and age, as it draws so much attention. Is it right that Barca and Real are both owned by “the banks”?

Our clubs do indeed seem to be “soul mates” and almost to the same timelines as well. Am I right in thinking that your team doesn’t currently have a main shirt sponsor? Again, my team went through a season like this. Extremely rare in todays money mad game.

In terms of losing young talent for nothing, I think that Leeds have learnt their lessons there some time ago. It’s been a while since we lost a future star for little or no money. But this is how the “Club” (Business) now survives. We no longer sign players over the age of 25 unless they are a “guaranteed” improvement, on the premise that they will improve with our coaching and ultimately, when the big boys come knocking then we should recoup more than we spent.

Its very much taken from the Red Bull strategy, and it’s currently a formula that is highly efficient given the names and valuations as these players find their way into the English elite…

Erring Haaland

Takumi Minamino

Sadio Mane

Naby Keita

Timo Werner

Bernado

Ibrahima Konate

Brenden Aaronson 

Tyler Adams

Rasmus Kristensen

I’m sure there are more, and I’m sure they made profit on all of these players. I am equally sure that there are more who have gone to Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund etc equally for profit.

It seems that this is the obvious way to survive now. Put your focus and investment into your Manager or Coach and their staff. Improve your training facilities, play youngsters and prove that you are willing to give them a chance rather than rot in the reserves. And then, and Only then can you tempt young talent to sign for you, give them a platform to showcase their talent, and move them on to the biggest clubs for profit.

This way, one day…. You may just have enough money to compete as well as finding some talented players who have an infinity with your club and do not wish to “cash out”.

I’d give anything for an exciting cup run this season, but as the old adage goes…. One Game at a time. 😊🍻

Edited by Pbsw23
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pbsw23 said:

Morning all, first day back at work following two weeks plus a Bank holiday Monday off. Today will be a looooooonnnng slog for sure. 367 emails to trawl through. 🙄

@Basil @Hollywood E Rock Basil’s signature presents just fine my end (iPad).

48CC5ECA-6B5C-4617-8A7E-5C7DB7162A8D.png

@Pbsw23 it looks right on mine when I have it turned upright, but turned sideways is when I noticed. Probably because it’s showing more when I have my iPad turned sideways. Are you holding yours in a particular way?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

@Pbsw23 it looks right on mine when I have it turned upright, but turned sideways is when I noticed. Probably because it’s showing more when I have my iPad turned sideways. Are you holding yours in a particular way?

I generally use my iPad in landscape, but just tested it both portrait and landscape and it’s fine both ways 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 2