IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Fortis93 said:

Probably one of the greatest performances.

An American actor playing an Australian actor who is playing an African-American soldier (who, at one point, is playing a Vietnamese farmer).

It could've gone very wrong in many different ways and offended many different people.

If Robert Downey Jr. was competing against Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker, he would've easily walked away with that Oscar.

You know that today, only few years after that, it would be impossible to release a film with that scene.

The Oscars have been losing credibility over the years. They have lost weight, popularity and influence, and trying to connect with the new trends have opened the door to nominate (and therefore vote) anyone who can add some followers on Twitter, Tik Tok, or Facebook. In fact, being able to nominate more films and more people, the renewal of the academics is accelerating, making the people nominated during the last years have more and more weight.

In Spain, in the broadcast of the ceremony, in the top cable company, they no longer talk about cinema; they have removed the people who knew about cinema, and have put it people that are popular on social nets... who spend more time commenting on the clothes of the actors/actresses, or the most popular comments on the networks, than the movies in front of them.

And the result of all this is an academy, and some awards, that behave like a pendulum: to one extreme and the other, from the cinema of filmmakers to the cinema of corporations. Add to that the traditional weight of the industry and money, and the result can be grotesque. 

That year... I love "Slumdog Millionaire," it's very finny, and I really like Danny Boyle, but he shouldn't have won. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" deserved it, and, above all, Fincher.
In fact, Ledger's victory was one of the few good things of that night. Between him and Kirk Lazarus, anyone would have made me happy. They are both great.

PS: Penelope Cruz's victory was shameful, absurd, pure marketing for the Latin audience, said by someone from Spain..., and Harvey Milk winning best screenplay ahead of "Wall-E" has its irony.I It was maybe one of the last years before the kingdom of superhero movies, and "The Dark Knight" deserved more, even more than some superhero awared movies when they hit the mainstream.

And now my incorrect comment of the day: I think "Black Panther", an entertaining movie, didn't deserve the nominations/awards they gave it, and that it was more a matter of "social" marketing than cinematic.

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 6

An American actor playing an Australian actor who is playing an African-American soldier (who, at one point, is playing a Vietnamese farmer)...

it's so great!!!

kirk-lazarus-robert-downey-jr.gif

tumblr_lukhfyx5uO1qg3sgx.gif

200.gif

He needs an spin-off!

a collector's edition!

It makes me want to say that I don't read the GBs, the GBs read me...

but after being late for the WCL Citizen Kane is not the time to make a joke... 

By the way, @Fortis93, you are also an Australian who for a day here acted as a Spaniard pretending to be an Australian... ;) 

• Haha 8

30 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

An American actor playing an Australian actor who is playing an African-American soldier (who, at one point, is playing a Vietnamese farmer)...

it's so great!!!

kirk-lazarus-robert-downey-jr.gif

tumblr_lukhfyx5uO1qg3sgx.gif

200.gif

He needs an spin-off!

a collector's edition!

It makes me want to say that I don't read the GBs, the GBs read me...

but after being late for the WCL Citizen Kane is not the time to make a joke... 

By the way, @Fortis93, you are also an Australian who for a day here acted as a Spaniard pretending to be an Australian... ;) 

Tropic Thunder is so freaking good. I love when RDJ he says ‘Survive’ while Stiller is just getting shot the hell up. 😂

• Like 5

Awards

4 hours ago, Casiusco said:

You know that today, only few years after that, it would be impossible to release a film with that scene.

The Oscars have been losing credibility over the years. They have lost weight, popularity and influence, and trying to connect with the new trends have opened the door to nominate (and therefore vote) anyone who can add some followers on Twitter, Tik Tok, or Facebook. In fact, being able to nominate more films and more people, the renewal of the academics is accelerating, making the people nominated during the last years have more and more weight.

In Spain, in the broadcast of the ceremony, in the top cable company, they no longer talk about cinema; they have removed the people who knew about cinema, and have put it people that are popular on social nets... who spend more time commenting on the clothes of the actors/actresses, or the most popular comments on the networks, than the movies in front of them.

And the result of all this is an academy, and some awards, that behave like a pendulum: to one extreme and the other, from the cinema of filmmakers to the cinema of corporations. Add to that the traditional weight of the industry and money, and the result can be grotesque. 

That year... I love "Slumdog Millionaire," it's very finny, and I really like Danny Boyle, but he shouldn't have won. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" deserved it, and, above all, Fincher.
In fact, Ledger's victory was one of the few good things of that night. Between him and Kirk Lazarus, anyone would have made me happy. They are both great.

PS: Penelope Cruz's victory was shameful, absurd, pure marketing for the Latin audience, said by someone from Spain..., and Harvey Milk winning best screenplay ahead of "Wall-E" has its irony.I It was maybe one of the last years before the kingdom of superhero movies, and "The Dark Knight" deserved more, even more than some superhero awared movies when they hit the mainstream.

And now my incorrect comment of the day: I think "Black Panther", an entertaining movie, didn't deserve the nominations/awards they gave it, and that it was more a matter of "social" marketing than cinematic.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…. I Love that Beautiful Brain of yours @Casiusco 👌🏼

giphy.gif

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Casiusco said:

Good afternoon, everybody.

As I see that you need a little inspiration, here are some little ideas of topics to talk about:

1) Who do we have to call urgently on the day that @Basil doesn't show up here very early? ;) 

2) What happened between @Hollywood E Rock and Scarlett so that neither has spoken of the other again?

3) Why is there no collector edition news of popular 2022 movies?

4) Will I ever be able to buy a Tropic Thunder Collector's Edition? Is @Fortis93 actually Kirk Lazarus? Didn't you think of him when you saw the movie?

5) Have you noticed that the comment "that movie could not have been made today" is becoming more frequent?

PS: Summer is a time to enjoy, not to reflect. Actually, what you should share are your cocktails. :P 

I could talk about Number 5 for days, but I know I would likely fall down the rabbit hole offend someone 🤐😁

Everyone is Sooooo obsessed with Entitlement, Empowerment, Influencing and Fame and Fortune, that we have quite literally forgotten the Fundamentals in what it takes to actually be a decent stand up human being, and take care of one another.

giphy.gif

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Casiusco said:

Good afternoon, everybody.

As I see that you need a little inspiration, here are some little ideas of topics to talk about:

1) Who do we have to call urgently on the day that @Basil doesn't show up here very early? ;) 

@Casiusco

I nominate @Fortis93, because he is a man in the future. He will already know the days when @Basil won’t be in here early so he can fill those shoes. For a matter of fact he has already read my message & responded. He is just that far ahead of us.

2) What happened between @Hollywood E Rock and Scarlett so that neither has spoken of the other again?

Me & Scarlett are doing well actually. We have slowed down our Public displays of love for one another, because of you know who 🙄 getting in their feelings about it.

Colin Jost Wtf GIF by Saturday Night Live

3) Why is there no collector edition news of popular 2022 movies?

Probably because a lot of those movies have been 💩, & don’t deserve the collectors edition treatment. 

4) Will I ever be able to buy a Tropic Thunder Collector's Edition? Is @Fortis93 actually Kirk Lazarus? Didn't you think of him when you saw the movie?

No I didn’t think of him, because I saw the unreleased behind the scenes footage that revealed who was really playing the character.

squirrel grooming GIF

@extantsrevenge!!! Or is Robert Downey Jr. really Nils pretending to be a squirrel?

Confused Thinking GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 10

5) Have you noticed that the comment "that movie could not have been made today" is becoming more frequent?

1 hour ago, Pbsw23 said:

I could talk about Number 5 for days, but I know I would likely fall down the rabbit hole offend someone 🤐😁

I’m down for the discussion. The phase that movie could not have been made today" is spoken a lot these days, but from my observations this phrase much like other phrases in pop culture is an over exaggeration of reality. 

1 hour ago, Pbsw23 said:

Everyone is Sooooo obsessed with Entitlement, Empowerment, Influencing and Fame and Fortune, that we have quite literally forgotten the Fundamentals in what it takes to actually be a decent stand up human being, and take care of one another.

giphy.gif

My perspective is humans are the worst thing to happen to the Planet Earth. Your post is describing how humans have always been. There hasn’t been a time in human history where decency was in the 80% or 90%. The 90s & early 2000s I could go without ever knowing other peoples opinions on situations.

Now even when I’m not looking for peoples opinions on things I’m able to run across them. The age of information allows us to see much more than any other group of people from the past. Past generations wasn’t better, they just was able to live in delusion, at least a large enough number of them.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

I’m down for the discussion. The phase that movie could not have been made today" is spoken a lot these days, but from my observations this phrase much like other phrases in pop culture is an over exaggeration of reality. 

My perspective is humans are the worst thing to happen to the Planet Earth. Your post is describing how humans have always been. There hasn’t been a time in human history where decency was in the 80% or 90%. The 90s & early 2000s I could go without ever knowing other peoples opinions on situations.

Now even when I’m not looking for peoples opinions on things I’m able to run across them. The age of information allows us to see much more than any other group of people from the past. Past generations wasn’t better, they just was able to live in delusion, at least a large enough number of them.

One of the reasons I don’t really use FB for communicating with family, and friends. Just a lot of unwarranted bitching, and moaning. Seems like it went from sharing photos, and conversations with family and friends that don’t get to see you all the time, to just complaining about everything. I usually just stick to my movie groups on FB for updates on upcoming releases, and try to stay far away from all the toxic people.

Edited by RAK
  • Like 7

Just now, RAK said:

One of the reasons I don’t really use FB for communicating with friends. Just a lot of unwarranted bitching, and moaning. Seems like it went from sharing photos, and conversations with family and friends that don’t get to see you all the time, to just complaining about everything. I usually just stick to my movie groups on FB for updates on upcoming releases, and try to stay far away from all the toxic people.

I agree with this!

and I don't have a facebook account

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Veum said:

I’ve spotted our helpful fox @Basil lounging isn’t he handsome…

image.thumb.png.f6c54d6dc318fc4c3ef125f8b3ffdf87.png

Two questions.

1. Why do you have a naked picture of @Basil?

2. Does he know you have this picture?

3. Yes I have a third question. Did he give you permission to post this naked picture of him?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Bounce

• Haha 12

5 minutes ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

Two questions.

1. Why do you have a naked picture of @Basil?

2. Does he know you have this picture?

3. Yes I have a third question. Did he give you permission to post this naked picture of him?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Bounce

Of course he posed for more, you wanna see…

image.thumb.png.b846a9c26ec87b779392b25eb4fe5d70.png

image.thumb.png.0354b2cd7fd4fe9e587842bfa746cc82.png

Close your eyes he and the misses need some privacy…

image.thumb.png.539c398234f02eb9a985a2b19c0ca9c1.png

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Rambo said:

I agree with this!

and I don't have a facebook account

10 minutes ago, RAK said:

One of the reasons I don’t really use FB for communicating with family, and friends. Just a lot of unwarranted bitching, and moaning. Seems like it went from sharing photos, and conversations with family and friends that don’t get to see you all the time, to just complaining about everything. I usually just stick to my movie groups on FB for updates on upcoming releases, and try to stay far away from all the toxic people.

@Rambo I don’t have a Facebook account either. @RAK Yeah the idea behind social media is great, but in practice it can be a real $hitty experience. I signed up for Twitter thinking it was a good idea to keep up with movie updates. I still get updates, but I have to comb through so much other unwarranted messages about all kinds of stuff. I don’t even travel on there as much as I did, & I’m planning to just delete the account all together.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, RAK said:

I couldn’t deal with people anymore and nixed my Facebook account a few years ago. Haven’t missed it in the least. But then @Fortis93was kind enough to point me toward a custom steelbook group over there. I reactivated just long enough to join, see what a few people were up to, and then deactivated again. 😂  Now I’m thinking I should reactivate, unfriend 99% of my “friends” on there and just stick to following a few boutique labels and some groups until it becomes too much a time sink or buzz killer. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

@Rambo I don’t have a Facebook account either. @RAK Yeah the idea behind social media is great, but in practice it can be a real $hitty experience. I signed up for Twitter thinking it was a good idea to keep up with movie updates. I still get updates, but I have to comb through so much other unwarranted messages about all kinds of stuff. I don’t even travel on there as much as I did, & I’m planning to just delete the account all together.

@Hollywood E Rock I created a twitter account and feel the same way. I use it less and less. And now I only use to to b!tch at Zavvi CS 🤣

Edited by Rambo
  • Haha 7