IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

when you get to work at 6.30am think yes on time, easy day

Waynes World Yes GIF

then after sitting down looking around where is my damn phone, wife said it was in the bag, she said she put it in there.

star-trek-picard.gif

and the proper realisation no phone for next 12 hours 

moral of the story check things yourself 😭

basil xD 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Casiusco said:

Yesterday I went to the movies and I've seen "Elvis" for the second time. Not because I'm a big fan of Elvis, which I never was, or because the movie would have seemed like a masterpiece to me; simply, as I already said, I had to go back to someone.

The first viewing was intense, fun, long. Satisfying. I liked the film, its finish is seamless, the narrative effort to put together such a complex story is enormous, and I only noticed a moment between its two big blocks -ascent and fall- where, like a small discontinuity, the rhythm was broken without apparent reason, at least, without being able to leave the necessary substrate as not to see yourself abandoned without energy, without a specific direction, without knowing where to look; maybe like the character himself.

A good movie, no more.

The second viewing was different. I no longer searched, but waited. I knew the story, some of the dialogue, I knew where the car was going, and I just enjoyed it.

There my point of view changed.

I stopped -unconsciously- analyzing the film, and I found Elvis. With intensity, with a being -really- bigger than life. I met his talent, his depth, his extravagance, his grandeur, and his soul; the one that gushes out in each stanza -even forced- in the final part of the film; the one that appears in the last concert. In every movement, spasm or gesture.

And if I met him, it's because the film took me to him: baroque, intense, dazzling, rushed, crazy, defiant, exaggerated and elegant at the same time. Yes, like Elvis himself. Because there, that second time, it stopped being the character, and started being Elvis. And the film began to let me glimpse the same honesty of the man; far from looking towards only fame, he really enjoyed himself -an authentic man- on stage; perhaps the only place where he was happy. Where he gave everything to those who were waiting for him, down there.

And, in the same way, I felt that Luhrmann was using and giving everything -as a true, visceral, honest fan of Elvis- giving us an exclusive access to that soul, that throat, that voice, his hits and his mistakes, his dreams and his frustrations. His great successes and his great failures. Yes, intense, extreme, as was everything around him until the last moment.

Really, what Luhrmann has done with this film is to narrate a complex, polyhedral, exhausting, difficult, personal and at the same time public, intimate and brilliant story, in the only way that it could be narrated. The only way a devoted, intense, music-possessed fan of him can lead you to -yes, definitely yes- someone bigger than life.

At that moment, without worrying about the plot, the performances, the duration, or that intermediate phase of the film, I realized that "Elvis" was not only a good movie.

It's GREAT cinema.

Of the real.

Where both in form, as in substance, as in what is told, everything has been given until the last breath. For the love of Elvis. And he out of love for the fans.

That soul -and that heartbeat- leaning out of the throat, leaning out of the screen, leaning out of a seat.

I wish I could write as eloquently as you, haha. I'm unfortunately too far out now to go into great detail about the flaws and issues I had with it but I really wish I could so that we could have a nice conversation about it. I will say that Austin Butler left a lasting positive impression and I'm excited to see how his career turns out.

Walking out of a film with such thoughts, appreciation, and feeling is such a wonderful experience in which I wish everyone could partake. "Elvis" was not that film for me but I'm happy that the film caused you to have such an experience. Thank you for sharing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone!

It's terribly hot, and my brain cells melt without being able to work.

I'm not used to such intense heat, there is a lot of humidity here and although the temperatures are not as high as in other places, it's very uncomfortable.

The good thing is that since the pandemic I can work two days from home, and at least here I can dress however I want, be in shorts, or in a T-shirt. It's a relief!

To know how you are dressed when you write here. I prefer not to know! :D

Have a good day!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

I wish I could write as eloquently as you, haha. I'm unfortunately too far out now to go into great detail about the flaws and issues I had with it but I really wish I could so that we could have a nice conversation about it. I will say that Austin Butler left a lasting positive impression and I'm excited to see how his career turns out.

Walking out of a film with such thoughts, appreciation, and feeling is such a wonderful experience in which I wish everyone could partake. "Elvis" was not that film for me but I'm happy that the film caused you to have such an experience. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for your kind words. Whenever you want we can talk about the movie in any thread. ;) 

For the record, it was a surprise for me, because on first viewing I liked it, but it didn't impress me. And usually when you see a movie twice in such a short time, even being a long film..., the second time is not such a good experience, everything becomes too predictable, and too long. But in this case it was curiously that, that everything was already predictable, which made me enjoy it more, focus on other things and let go.

But yes, having a good experience and those feelings is something that everyone should experience a couple of times every year with a movie you like. ☺️

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

Good morning everyone!

It's terribly hot, and my brain cells melt without being able to work.

I'm not used to such intense heat, there is a lot of humidity here and although the temperatures are not as high as in other places, it's very uncomfortable.

The good thing is that since the pandemic I can work two days from home, and at least here I can dress however I want, be in shorts, or in a T-shirt. It's a relief!

To know how you are dressed when you write here. I prefer not to know! :D

Have a good day!

@Casiusco do you have air con in your house in spain as it's hot over there alot of the time?

Btw you wanna see this pmsl 

16577960799706347384129031628601.thumb.jpg.d4191d4a7d5c5956139a48607683a584.jpg

Stuck st work my own fan under the bench only way to deal with heat, just be glad the hairy legs not out lol.

Not that I'm aloud in the workshop lots of nasty acids etc

Basil 👍

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Basil said:

@Casiusco do you have air con in your house in spain as it's hot over there alot of the time?

Btw you wanna see this pmsl 

16577960799706347384129031628601.thumb.jpg.d4191d4a7d5c5956139a48607683a584.jpg

Stuck st work my own fan under the bench only way to deal with heat, just be glad the hairy legs not out lol.

Not that I'm aloud in the workshop lots of nasty acids etc

Basil 👍

Spain has very different areas from each other. 

I live in Galicia, in the north-west of Spain; and in Galicia in a lucky temperate coast place. Normally, we were neither too cold in winter nor too hot in summer; it was the perfect middle ground. When I was a kid, most people didn't have heating; it was said that for two weeks of real cold a year it was not necessary. And in summer no one had air con.

Now times -and weather- have changed, in winter people have heating systems, and in summer it is no longer uncommon to see people with their own mobile air system.

Maybe in winter the heating does begin to be necessary, but the air in summer... in other parts of Galicia it's very necessary, but I live on the coast, I open the window and the best fan in the world reaches me: the cool breeze from the sea.

Only this week we have a historical heat wave, and with º29 at 1am and no wind, the breeze does not exist. Nothing moves.

Yesterday at that time I came back from seeing "Jurassic World Dominion" at the movies, and it was horrible, impossible not to sweat walking down the street.

Oh, and yes, I'm -very!- glad that the hairs on your legs didn't come out to greet us. :D 

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2022 at 5:45 PM, Veum said:

Very nice @damships 🤩

@Casiusco I had a chance to see one of Elvis’ last concert with my sister but turned it down for some reason 😔 

That has made me think of a few concerts that I missed, and I don't even know why.

Some I can still try to go, others... it's already impossible. Michael Jackson, George Michael, Queen, David Bowie...

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 3