IGNORED

Donovan's Brain (Der Fluch der Galerie des Grauens #2) (G1 Amaray) [Germany]

pygospa

Release date: 30.06.2020
Buy link: Wicked-Vision
Price: €28.99
Discs: Dual Format (BD+DVD)

Booklet: 24 pages

101598638_10159263360099672_6808568318681677824_o.thumb.jpg.8cddf9296cc39c2576c9aed8d7703faa.jpg

No. 1 of the new "Fluch der Galerie des Grauens" isn't even out yet (though it should be going into shipping), and here Anolis comes along announcing the next title that will be ready next week for pre-ordering (except for Wicked Vision who already listed it just as it got announced via Anolis):

On 30.06. the US independent movie "Donovan's Brain" that Felix E. Feist directed in 1953 will be released as no. 2 of this series, and therefore it will continue the spine image that was started with "It! Terror from Beyond Space". The movie stars Lew Ayres and Nancy Davis and is based on the 1942 horror novel of the same name by Curt Siodmak. In the movie, the millionaire Donovan has a fatal plane crash; however a couple of scientists have experimented with keeping peoples brains alive and do the same with Donovan's brain, not knowing that this brain develops different powers and tries to reach goals of it's own. It's once more a sci-fi horror movie of the black-and-white 50s era. A typical B-movie of that time. But as far as I can tell from the reactions, one of the more loved movies of that genre.

The relese will again come as a dual format variant, and as usually in a G1 DVD Amaray with a flap for the two discs, and a booklet that fit's inside the Amaray as well. Booklet will be German only, written by Dr. Rolf Giesen who is a famous German film-historian and famous for his text and audio commentaries. As bonus on the disk there will be an audio commentary (also with Dr. Rolf Giesen and Volker Kronz, so also just in German), the German and US trailers for the movie and a picture gallery. For subtitles only German is listed, so probably no subtitles for the German extras in English language either. There is another release in the USA/CAN, but that is region A locked; however that release would have an English audio commentary with film-historian Harland Smith (however no other extras listed, nor is there information on a booklet).

Interesting fact: this is being released together with the German DigiBook for Terror from Anolis. So if you are interested in both titles you might try to get them somewhere together to save some shipping costs. But if you are really interested, be fast though. These sell out quite fast (the first one already is on most stores).

Anyone interested in this title? Do you know/like the movie? Let me know what you think. And as always I'll close with a trailer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Grendel You mentioned you wanted to pick up all of these in the other thread. I'm not sure if you've seen this one yet, so this is just a friendly heads up: The second title is already announced and is available for pre-order from Wicked Vision (and will be in other stores as well in the next week). Maybe if you didn't get your other orders yet you can ask if they can send it together to save some shipping costs. It's a bit surprising that Anolis is so fast all of a sudden. Be aware that Wicked only gets a limited number of copies, so be fast with this one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^^ Lovely announcement (again) @pygospa 🤩

This is one I consider an "oldie but goodie" as it was one of the 1st to implement the brain living on after death scenario we saw later in such films as;

- The Brain

- The Brain That wouldn't die

- Fiend Without A Face

and a host of less notable titles.

I thought I had already picked up the Shout Factory release but checking my db I don't see it listed.

So, I guess that means I have no excuse for NOT picking up the Anolis release, heh.

I do see it listed at Wicked Vision so will place an order in today and will see if they can bundle it with my other outstanding pre-orders.

Thanks again my friend!

• Like 1

^^ Heh, an update already... @pygospa  and @Veum  🙂  ( and others, heh);

Just ordered the following from Wicked;

- Donovan's Brain

- The Deadly Bees

- Yorga Vampire SteelBook

- Wicked Vision magazine vol 1

I also included a note to Daniel asking if, since I currently have 4 outstanding orders with him, if he could package and ship all the in-stock items first then send the pre-orders as they appear.

Here's hoping he can still do that but if not, no worries.  😀

Thanks again for the heads-up on these releases my friend!

(oh, and if we are gonna compare influences, when I look at my laundry lists lately, I see who has had the bigger impact on new selections!!! heh🤗

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1

Spoiler
26 minutes ago, Grendel said:

^^ Lovely announcement (again) @pygospa 🤩

This is one I consider an "oldie but goodie" as it was one of the 1st to implement the brain living on after death scenario we saw later in such films as;

- The Brain

- The Brain That wouldn't die

- Fiend Without A Face

and a host of less notable titles.

I thought I had already picked up the Shout Factory release but checking my db I don't see it listed.

So, I guess that means I have no excuse for NOT picking up the Anolis release, heh.

I do see it listed at Wicked Vision so will place an order in today and will see if they can bundle it with my other outstanding pre-orders.

Thanks again my friend!

@Grendel,

Have you hit the lottery or something, the amount that you order puts you right up there w/our good friend Nils huh!:wow:

rich money GIF

Edited by Veum
  • Haha 1

Hello again @pygospa, @Veum, @RAK  @Hollywood E Rock  and many others...🙂

I believe I've mentioned this in previous threads but I'll post here as well.

I'm pretty difficult to please when it comes to watching video reviews of films on Youtube.

Some are no more than pretentious twits that you often wonder, if they've even seen the film or was it just another click bait for views.

Often the latter.

There are a very select few however that I've grown quite fond of.

Principally, because they inject a lot of associated humour and/or they have significant knowledge of the topic at hand.

- Mauler (sci-fi & horror)

- Gigguk (Anime)

- Cecil:  "Good/Bad Fliks" with a focus on a LOT of Charles Band's works), and

- Robyn: "Dark Corners Reviews" with a focus on 1950-1980 sci-fi & horror B films and some fascinating historical perspectives of the A Tier Hammer films and Universal Horror.

Here's a link to the homepage for; a very enjoyable series of short romps through a variety of great fliks!

Dark Corners Reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/user/LondonComedyWriters/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=7

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Well, hallo there, friends from horror movies from a time long long ago! I can finally present you some pictures of "Donovans Hirn", which came out nearly a month ago, but I only got it today - in all fairness, it wasn't entirely his fault, but in the end, he forgot to put it in the previous parcel, so I had to wait a while longer until I finally got it. But in German there is a saying: "Gut Ding will Weile haben" - roughly: good things need their time. And this release once more is a good thing, don't you think? Dual format, reversible cover Artwork, a thourough 24-p booklet by a film scientist, lots of historic artworks included in the imagery, a spine picture and: just one other blu-ray release to compete with, world wide.

20200724_121855 (2).jpg

20200724_122225.jpg

20200724_122702.jpg

20200724_122748.jpg

20200724_122756.jpg

20200724_122807.jpg

20200724_122817.jpg

20200724_122827.jpg

20200724_122835.jpg

20200724_122846.jpg

20200724_122855.jpg

20200724_122904.jpg

20200724_122912.jpg

20200724_122921.jpg

20200724_123109.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello @pygospa ; 🙂 and take note @Mad-martigan🙂

I see you just posted this last Friday, so perhaps my copy (of Donovan's Brain) is either being held or Daniel has shipped it to me by itself.

With luck, the email I sent today to him will clarify status.

So, I see that The Holding Box,  (#1) It! Terror Beyond Space and (#2) Donovan's Brain are no longer listed at Wicked Vision.

I suppose that means they have sold out.  😟

There is no mention of the 3rd release either, which I believe you mentioned should be "The Angry Red Planet"?

I wonder if Wicked still has plans to carry this series of releases.

They may and just don't wish to announce what is forthcoming.

I was surprised though that the first two totally disappeared from the site, as I thought a simple "Sold Out" notice would have sufficed.

Again, it may get cleared up in my email response, we'll see.

May I ask Pygospa if you know where else these may become available?

As for that gent who was selling the previous set on the other Blu-Forum, looks like he has decided to parcel them off and so has sold some of them already.

That's fine, as the only one I MUST HAVE is "The Giant Claw" as I think that's the only Blu-ray of it in the wild and Amazon.de wants 77 Euro for it!

I have all the others ( including the Indicator spec ed of "Curse/Night of the Demon).  🙂

Oh, I may also purchase "Der 27.Tag" though it is not much more on Amazon.de ( which though pricey, has a few of the titles).

I'll let you folks know what (if any) answers I receive to this assemblage of queries, heh.

Cheers!

Edited by Grendel
  • Thanks 1

You guys are too fast for me (or more specifically I am too slow because I write so much. I was answering the last ~30 Minutes to the PM with you and @Mad-martigan 😜 ).

15 minutes ago, Grendel said:

So, I see that The Holding Box,  (#1) It! Terror Beyond Space and (#2) Donovan's Brain are no longer listed at Wicked Vision.

19 minutes ago, Grendel said:

I was surprised though that the first two totally disappeared from the site, as I thought a simple "Sold Out" notice would have sufficed.

Yes, Wicked removes the tiltes, once they are sold out. I don't like it either, as they usually have great product pages with all the interesting infos. Already asked Daniel if this could be changed, but I guess it was a long process to get the shop running at all - he's probably happy it is finally running, and is not planing to endanger this any time soon :D

19 minutes ago, Grendel said:

There is no mention of the 3rd release either, which I believe you mentioned should be "The Angry Red Planet"?

I wonder if Wicked still has plans to carry this series of releases.

They may and just don't wish to announce what is forthcoming.

I feel like I've written this somewhere already, but cannot find it myself, so I'll write it (again?) : Wicked is not doing these releases and has nothing to do with the planing, producing or advertising them. You know that Wicked announces their plans for sometimes the entire next year long beforehand. Also, they release covers long time ahead, and they open their pre-orders a month before the release date. You know what to expect and usually Daniels plans are followed through. But that's their own releases - Daniel - if he had prior knowledge - would probably not share it with anybody else, since it's not his place to do so. With the last Anolis releases, he always waited until Anolis announced them, and then commented on these announcements that he will be carrying them in his shop as well, and links his shop.

Now, let's get to Anolis - with them it is a totally different thing. Anolis seldom announces releases and plans long ahead, usually because they hardly ever manage to follow through, if they do. So usually, you'll only get the announcement a week prior to pre-order date. That's it. Anolis is totally chaotic, and when you look at their plans, e.g. this Announcement from 2012!

April 2013: Frankenstein schuf ein Weib
Juni 2013: Bestien lauern vor Caracas
August 2013: Schock

These where the first three Releases that Anolis announced for their Hammer Horror Mediabooks. From these three, only one is released: "Shock". It was released not on August 2013, but instead on June 2016. "Frankenstein schuf ein Weib" was finally announced 2019 (on the back-side of the front cover card - everybody collecting Anolis is anxious to turn around that front cover card, for seeing the next release - this is the first way you'll actually get knowledge about this), for Febuary 2020. Since them no more information. It's not yet here. Let's look at another example:

1. Quartal 2018: Blut für Dracula
2. Quartal 2018: Wie schmeckt das Blut von Dracula?
3. Quartal 2018: Draculas Rückkehr
4. Quartal 2018: Dracula jagt Mini-Mädchen

Reality:

• Blut für Dracula - hasn't been released yet, but might be released in October 2020
  • Wie schmeckt das Blut von Dracula? - Q3 of 2018
  • Draculas Rückkehr - Q4 of 2018
  • Dracula Jagt Mini-Mädchen - Q3 of 2018

As I have said in the first post: The last boxes took Anolis ~4 years per box. So after Anolis has already released the first two titles in such short time, I guess for the comming titles we'll have to wait a few more months. "The Angry Red Planet" is the planned no. 3, but as the past has shown, just because Anolis plans this, there is no guarantee that this will actually happen - it could become any number of the set - with a good chance that it is no. 3, but no guarantees ;) And how can wicked now beforehand, if even Anolis doesn't know themselves? :D 

• Thanks 1

@Grendel I've also ansered you here, but again, it got withheld for reviewing :( Bit annoying that this is happening so often. I really wonder, what I am doing wrong. There shouldn't be any trigger words or other things in it... but well. You'll have to wait for it. I already "reported" it, so hopefully some moderator/administrator will be notified. I'm sorry also for them to give them so much work, but I don't get it, it's as if the forum software has a personal grudge against me 😭 "Horror Forum Software from Outa Space" - that would be a neat film title, wouldn't it? :D

• Thanks 1