IGNORED

It! Terror from Beyond Space (Der Fluch der Galerie des Grauens #1) (G1 Amaray Boxset) [Germany]

pygospa

Release date: 29.05. 2020
Buy link: jpc.de
Price: €27.99 ~ €36.99
Discs: Dual Format (BD+DVD)
Booklet: 16 pages

I think I finally found the proper subforum to post these (if not please move to the better fitting subforums). A while ago @Grendel ordered one of these releases and had a few questions I answered. But that was in another thread and I feel like

• a) it would get lost in that thread
  • b) it wouldn't be the right place to talk about news and upcoming releases of that series
  • c) others might be interested in these as well even though they are not interested in the release-thread in which we talked about this.

Which is why I'll start presenting the "Anolis Galerie des Grauens" releases in it's own threads in this subforum. I will start with the first one of the latest box. But before I do that, here is some background on Anolis and what the "Galerie des Grauens" is all about:

Anolis Entertainmet is a German independent niche label, that was founded in 1998 to (hold your hats!) release old classic genre releases on VHS, such as the Kaiju movies from Japan (Godzilla, etc.), starting with sublicensing and later also seeking direct contracts with studios like Toho Studio. In 2001 they realized that releasing VHS that late was not the most cleverest of ideas they had, so they started producing their first DVDs. And with the possibilities of DVDs they soon realized they could offer much more, and even during DVD times soon had a loyal following of people who loved the afford they put into restoration quality and bonus material. I think the japanese original "Ring" release from 2001 was a milestone release for this label, and since then they've put the same afford to all upcoming releases. Another big hit was their "Anolis Hammer Edition". Anolis saved themselves the right to 20 titles from Hammer Studios and from 2002 - 2004 relased them one by one, for the first time (in Germany) in digital quaility, with a lot of bonus material, with a spine numbering, and if you had all 20 the spine would create a continuous artwork. This release earned Anolis some cult status among fans of these movies, and to this date (even though most of them are available on Blu-ray) this collection is one of the most expensive DVD editions, with asking prices of ~50€ per title, resulting in 1000€ for the whole set (see some single offers on amazon, or even set-offers). For those of you who are interested, there's a pretty decent presentation on YouTube of the entire lot.

A similar release was the "Galerie des Grauens" (lit. Gallery of Horrors) series. It was in 2009 that Anolis started a new series of releases limited to 10 titles, that where all B-movies of the sci-fi, horror and crime genre from the 1950s to 1960s. As with the "Anolis Hammer Edition" these releases came with a Spine number and a continuous spine artwork, and where released over the time of two years, this time, however, the first release also included a square box with one open size to fit in all 10 releases, that you got as a bonus with the first DVD. And yes - even though the Blu-ray was already out for five years, you might have guessed that Anolis is late to adapt. They did DVD releases; but I am thankful for it, as anything else would have meant ugly blue Amaray cases. Included in this set where the movies (format: Original Title [German Title as on edition] (year of the movie)) :

1. The Trollenberg Terror [Die Teufelswolke von Monteville] (1958)
  2. A Bucket of Blood [Das Vermächtnis des Prof. Bondi] (1959)
  3. The Atomic Submarine [Auf U-17 ist die Hölle los] (1959)
  4. The Killer Shrews [Die Nacht der unheimlichen Bestien] (1959)
  5. Fiend Without a Face [Ungeheuer ohne Gesicht](1958)
  6. First Man Into Space [Rakete 510] (1959)
  7. The Giant Behemoth [Das Ungeheuer von Loch Ness] (1959)
  8. Frankenstein's Daughter [Frankensteins Tochter] (1958)
  9. Day the World Ended [Die letzten Sieben] (1955)
  10. The Brain from Planet Arous [Die Augen des Satans] (1957)

Each of this titles comes with a reversible cover that removes all the ugly stuff, that labels are forced to print on covers, a small booklet ranging from 8-16 pages, and usually includes at least one audio commentary (usually in German, though), a picture gallery and the original trailers, and sometimes even additional bonuses (interviews, super 8 edition, etc.). Similar to the "Anolis Hammer Edition" the "Galerie des Grauens" became a hit for those selected few that care for such kind of movies, making it a rare and sought after release that to this date is quite expensive to get. Different to the "Anolis Hammer Edition", Anolis did not stop there. After being a success, Anolis announced a prequell series, so to say: "Die Rückkehr der Galerie des Grauens" (lit. Return of the Gallery of Horrors) - again just on DVD, again with all the care and loving, and again, with the first title including a box to fit in 10 titles:

1. The Monolith Monster [Das Geheimnis des steinernen Monsters](1957)
  2. Earth vs. the Spider [Die Rache der schwarzen Spinne](1958)
  3. How to Make a Monster [Der Satan mit den 1000 Masken](1962)
  4. Missile to the Moon [Bestie des Grauens](1959)
  5. The Land Unknown [Der Flug zur Hölle](1957)
  6. War of the Colossal Beast [Gigant des Grauens](1958)  <-- This one in a double DVD release including 4 different editions of the movie (cinema, widescreen, super 8 and normal 8).
  7. Daugther of Dr. Jekyll [Die Totengruft des Dr. Jekyll](1952)
  8. The Mole People [In den Klauen der Tiefe](1956)
  9. Night of the Blood Beast [Das Grauen kam um Mitternacht](1958)
  10. X [Der Mann mit den Röntgenaugen](1963)

And last, but not least, there was the third and rumored to be last boxset called "Die Rache der Galerie des Grauens" (lit. Revenge of the Gallery of Horrors). With this release, Anolis did a major change: They switched to Blu-ray. But finally, in 2016 when they did the switch, the licensing conditions for Blu-rays where relaxed, i.e. you hadn't have to use the blue Amaray anymore and wheren't forced to print the blue stripe on Digipacks, boxsets and Steelbooks anymore, allowing Anolis to keep the format as it was for the other two boxes: It's still black DVD-sized (G1) Amarays with a reversible cover to remove all the nastiness, and inside you have either just a Blu-ray or a dual format packaging (Blu-ray + DVD) together with the booklet, as you know it, and with the first release including a box to put in 10 releases. Why was it rumored to be the last boxset? Because it was getting harder and harder for Anolis to find further releases suitable for this box - or so they said during that time. They try to get these movies that already have a German dubbing, otherwise this endeavour would get much more expensive - it already is, as these old movies need special treatment as is. A couple of them have not been released on blu-ray elsewhere, so a lot of work has to be put into these releses as it is. Here's the list of movies:

1. Night of the Demon [Der Fluch des Dämonen] (1957)
  2. War of the Satellites [Planet der toten Seelen] (1958)
  3. The Tingler [Schrei, wenn der Tingler kommt] (1959)
  4. The Beast with a Million Eyes [Ausgeburt der Hölle] (1955)
  5. The Alligator People [Im Sumpf des Grauens] (1959)
  6. Bijo to Ekitai Ningen [Das Grauen schlecht durch Tokio] (1958)
  7. The Giant Claw [Angriff der Riesenkralle] (1957)
  8. Uchû daisensô [Krieg im Weltenraum] (1959)
  9. The 27th Day [Der 27. Tag] (1957)
  10. The Black Sleep [Die Schreckenskammer des Dr. Thosti] (1956)

So much for the "buildup" - let's finally get to what this thread is supposed to be all about: Beginning this year Anolis announced that a fourth box is to come. This series is called "Der Fluch der Galerie des Grauens" (lit. the Curse of the Gallery of Horrors). It will again be 10 titles, and in an interview [if you want to see it - it's in German though - klick here. If the timecode link doesn't work, just fast forward to 0:58:14] the product manager of Anolis, Ivo Scheloske, talks about a few of the titles that we can expect in this box (he also metions that they have more than enough titles for this box and need to sort out which titles they'll put in the box and which they will release differently - so no more hesitation as we have heared during/after release of box no. 3). These are the few titles he spoiled:

• "The Angry Red Planet" will be no. 3 of the collection (someone found this out by the artwork of the box)
  • "Donovan's Brain" will be no. 2 of the collection (actually someone found that out by regularly checking the FSK information: http://www.spio.de/asp/fskkarte.asp?pvid=608224 )
  • "The Nightwalker" will probably be no. 4 (if everyhting works out); they are currently trying to record audio commentaries and trying to do that remote due to Corona
  • "The Deadly Mantis" is also visible on the box, and it will also come but is postponed due to Corona - this movie never got German dubbing, and they planed to do it this year, but due to Corona they cannot.

He ends with the statement that usually they work on all of their titles in parallel and which ever gets ready first, will be released. So the numbers might still change around, but that's everything know up to now about this box.

94136734_10159109612849672_1788612072125235200_o.jpg.42f3640b9c1962b99b4407eb58c29066.jpg

Their first title is "IT! The Terror from Beyond Spaace", a 1958 independat US movie that combines the sci-fi and horror genre, directed by Edward L. Cahn and staring Marshall Thompson, Shawn Smith and Kim Spalding. Most interesting fact about this movie is that screenwriter Dan O'Bannon, who wrote the Screenplay to Ridley Scott's 1979s Alien, cites this movie as his main inspiration for the screenplay on Alien. A lot of critics point this fact out, stating that Alien borrowed its creature feature plot liberally from this movie. It's not a a world premiere on blu-ray, as there are Amaray releases in both, the US and the UK, but this is the first "premium" relese, given the fact that it is a) highly limited (different shops state that it's 1.300 copies), b) comes in a different package, with booklet and two audio commentaries (both unfortunately in German), and c) is part of an overall beautiful boxset that won't decline in value. Plus, for all you German readers: It's the very first time this title is dubbed in Germany, so it's a world premiere of this movie in Germany.

Included is a box for - once more - 10 titles, a 16-paged booklet, and it's a dual format release, so you get a DVD copy with it as well. And unfortunately, it has already been released for pre-ordering end of April, and is already hard to get. I've linked a shop that still lists the boxset (unfortunately a bit more expensive than what I payed [27,99€ instead of 35€], but still much cheaper than what the second market is already asking [are thos guys crazy?!]).

To round things up, here's a trailer of the movie. Let me know what you think about these kind of releases, if you like this kind of Information and if I should continue inform you about upcoming titles in this format! I'll do it if there is at least one person interested (and the next title is already announced and ready for preorder :D ).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Veum said:

however I had hoped their informative booklets would also be present in English, Ce le vie 😂

Well sir, we are in Germany and here no one speaks English. Or at least they pretend not to, as good as they can :D Normally everybody should have at least a decent knowledge, as we are forced to learn it from the 5th grade until (depending on the school you go) at least 9th grade (up to 13th). But yeah, people here don't like watching foreign language movies (even with subtitles). Something like Criterion, Eureka! and others are doing (offering all movies with original soundtrack only) wouldn't be possible in Germany - people simply won't buy it. For extras it seems to be okey, at least there is noone complaining and most people buy the blu-rays for the movies, not the extras. But with the booklets it's the same.

And I think we are not alone (France, as far as I know has dubbing as well, as has Spain and Italy) - only the smaller countries, like Denmark, Holland, Sweden, etc. don't do dubbing and have a lot of English language content with their editions.

I can totally get, how this is something you'd look out for. For me, if I get something that is French or Spanish, etc. I usually scan the booklets, put them through OCR and then through Google translate. For big European languages that's working pretty decently. Problematic are all those Asian languages. Starts with OCR not working correctly, and if you catch the error, it's hard to correct, because how do you write Hangul, Kanji, Thai script, etc? But Latin based languages are pretty easily translatable, if you really want to. But I'm not trying to win you over or anything. Just a tip, if you really want an edition but are unsure because of the German writing. For me it also depends on what it is. A 20p booklet: No problem. An entire screen play in a foreign language I cannot read? No way. At least not, if I don't speak that language (and that's pretty easy: if it ain't German or English I don't speak it :D my French and Spanish are horrible [but @R1s1ngs0n at least I wouldn't have written "ce le vie" 🤣], my Japanese, even after years of learning still feels nonexistant 😭). Scanning 100 pages, OCRing them and pumping them through Google translate is just not worth the hassle.

2 hours ago, Veum said:

This will cause me to pause on future purchases sadly, unless of course the price is right.😉

Oh, I hope you didn't buy anything that you didn't want to have, or where you had a bad surprise? I usually try to point out all the language issues there might be for German releases. But often I forget the text, or think that it's a given that they are German and only point it out when they aren't. This editions will of course all have German texts, unfortunately!

• Like 3

Wow, another extremely informative post from our dear friend @pygospa 🥰

Thanks very much once more buddy for all your efforts in bringing this wealth of info to our attention.

Greatly appreciated!

I doubt I'll remember to respond to all your points but I hope to comment on the important ones. 🙂

I'll start off with the most controversial, the language issue.

For me, it is a minor inconvenience.

I am fortunate in having some experience with languages other than English throughout my time on this planet, so was able to pick up a smattering of them sufficient to the point that given opportunity, I can usually figure out what is being presented.

As pygospa also mentioned, this is predominantly the Latin based languages, as the Asian languages, because of their different alphabets still mystify me.

Heh, I also had a helluva time with Greek (for the same reason) and though I could converse essential info by memorizing key phrases (we used to call it "Bar Talk") reading was a trial and writing was totally beyond my best efforts.

Anyway, I have a large collection of foreign films and thankfully, those that do not have dubs, at least have subs.

I'm sure many of you do as well.

So, as long as the film is watchable for me, I'm not overly concerned with the production language of the bonus materials (interviews/booklets) as either the info they provide can usually be sourced elsewhere or as pygospa mentioned, I can essentially get it translated.

I loved reading your synopsis on "Anolis" buddy. Really great info.

As I'd mentioned in previous threads, I found their timing for release of Blu-rays that caught my interest was a bit late to the game, as I had in many instances, already bought the film in Blu from another distributor. Regardless, they continue to release outstanding editions and going forward, I will be paying much more attention to their efforts.

As my key loves for cinema include the sci-fi fliks from the '50s I am very eager to purchase all the editions planned for this new box by Anolis and will undoubtedly pick them all up, regardless of the fact that I already have the majority in Blu, as most of them have only received mediocre presentations by other distributors and I believe they deserve the same amount of love as other genre films from that era. 🤗

I've placed an order with Wicked Vision for the Box + 1st release ( It!).

I understand the remainder will take time to be released, so will need to keep tabs on these as they get announced.

I'd be most appreciative if as time progresses you folk see mention of them and bring it to our attention! 🙂 (as will I).

I also sincerely hope that they elect to reproduce some of the titles from their previous dvd sets in Blu, as some of them are true classics that deserve Anolis' detailed Blu-rays!

Now pretty packaging is one thing but the visual ( and audio) presentation of the film is key;

- OAR

- Colour timing/palette used

- rescan/remaster/upscale

- accurate subs/dubs

all play a part in making a package appealing to the customer. This seems to be totally lost on some distributors and I find nothing more frustrating than to be excited for a release only to discover that the distributor put almost no effort into the production and just cranked off an edition to place a check mark on a sheet.

I think we all know whom are the biggest culprits in this area.

Anolis, thankfully is not one of them, as they provide packages that they themselves would wish to buy.

So in summary, I'll be watching with eager anticipation what flows down the pipe in the future with these titles, as I have no doubt I'll be pleased with what I receive. 🥰

Thanks again!

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Mine arrived to... uhm... yester... let's make it easier: on June 23rd :D

Here are some pictures - how it arrives and is packed (with a little cardboard, how the box looks from all sides, the FSK-cover, the flip-cover without the FSK seal, the disks and booklet. And last but not least, how the edition looks inside the box. Enjoy :)

20200623_121302.jpg

20200623_121317.jpg

20200623_121637.jpg

20200623_121517.jpg

20200623_121528.jpg

20200623_121538.jpg

20200623_121551.jpg

20200623_121601.jpg

20200623_121758.jpg

20200623_121848.jpg

20200623_121923.jpg

20200623_121942.jpg

20200623_121954.jpg

20200623_122010.jpg

20200623_122018.jpg

20200623_122028.jpg

20200623_122041.jpg

20200623_122051.jpg

20200623_122137.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Veum said:

🥤Hi @pygospa / @Grendel,

I still do not have any movement of my 1st orders in early March from Wicked Shop 😧

... should I be getting very concerned 😟 guys?🤔

From when was the order? And what titles did you order? (just asking to know if there where any preorder titles that came later). In general, he's a bit slow, sometimes, so it might take a while (I know he was in holiday for a while, and my It! release just arrived yesterday, but release date was 25th of May).

But I can also convey a message for you, to him, if you want. Or you just try to contact him directly, either via mail, or via Facebook. Maybe he has already send it out and has a tracking number?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, pygospa said:

From when was the order? And what titles did you order? (just asking to know if there where any preorder titles that came later). In general, he's a bit slow, sometimes, so it might take a while (I know he was in holiday for a while, and my It! release just arrived yesterday, but release date was 25th of May).

But I can also convey a message for you, to him, if you want. Or you just try to contact him directly, either via mail, or via Facebook. Maybe he has already send it out and has a tracking number?

@pygospa,

🥤Please do convey a message for me and thank you!🙏 Mike 🤠😇😷😊

1st order March 10th:

Tales that Witness Madness (2-Disc Limited Collector's Edition No. 34) [Mediabook, Cover C, Limited to 333 Units) 

Shipping: Pre-Order!

2nd order March 13th:

Demonic Toys (Full Moon Classic Selection N0. 04) [Blu-ray] 

Shipping: ca. 3-4 days

Doctor Mordrid (Full Moon Collection No. 2, 2-Disc Mediabook) [Cover A] 

Dollman (Full Moon Classic Selection No. 01) [Blu-ray] 

Dollman vs. Demonic Toys (Full Moon Classic Selection No. 05) [Blu-ray] 

Robot Wars (Full Moon Classic Selection No. 05) [Blu-ray] 

The Black Torment (2-Disc Limited Collector's Edition No. 35) [Mediabook, Cover C, Limited to 333 Units) 

Shipping: Pre-Order!

• Like 1

Good Evening @pygospa, @Veum (and other friends dropping by) 😀

I'll address the orders issue first;

I received 4 notices from Daniel on 16 Jun identifying each of my respective 4 orders have shipped.

Considering the slow down in mail traffic currently, I suspect it could potentially be 1st week of July I see them arrive.

I was surprised to see all 4 orders fullfilled but great news indeed.

Veum, if you send him an email in response to the ones you no doubt received identifying your order was "processed", that should garner a response.

In addition, I see Pygospa has offered to forward a mssg on your behalf. (Well done friend 👍).

One concern I have, is they are shipped via DHL.

Understandably I suppose, since options are quite limited.

Well, my concern is, I've recently received 3 packages from abroad, via DHL.

ALL of them, were hit with Customs and "processing" fees, because the 'actual amount' is evident on those invoices.

[One was my Parasite Steel from Amz.uk which arrived dented and loose discs, as well as costing me an additional $22 at the door].

I'm not sure if Daniel is putting the actual total price on the packages but if he did, well, I've got some hefty fees ahead of me...sigh.

OK, so on to your recent arrival Pygospa! 🤩

That box looks kickass!

Sure it's simple (it's a box) but the artwork is quite lovely and I enjoy how they've chosen to show critters and characters from the films as teaser art.

I picked out;

- It! (d'uh)

- The Angry Red Planet

- The Deadly Mantis, and

- Donovan's Brain

The pic with the 2-horned demon perched above the girl I couldn't figure out, hmmm 🤔

I don't mind the retro dvd cases being used, they sort of add to the retro feel of the films in a way.

Why the flipper tray though? Is there more than 2 discs or was it to make room for the booklet? (I suspect the latter).

The disc art is also very cool and utilizes the two poster artworks nicely.

That booklet is gorgeous!

I LOVE them using the original "scare poster" for its cover and the inside pics look great!

I tried my hand at translating the viewable text and heh heh, I'm not doing too bad at all!

Though of course I'll make final determination once my order(s) arrive, I have a suspicion I'll be filling that box with all the ones they have planned for release.

And in the interim, I can grab my amaray Blus of the respective films and place them in the box until their (ahem) replacement squad arrives...🙂

I don't know how many boxes I have coming from Wicked. It could be four, it could be one or any number in between I guess.

After the first arrives, I'll have a better understanding of what and when (and sigh, how much $)

Thanks again for a lovely informative post Pygospa, very much appreciated.

If you discover what Vol 2 is and when it comes up for pre-order, please don't keep it a secret buddy!

Cheers

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 2

Hey you guys,

So, first to the "problem":

2 hours ago, Grendel said:

I'll address the orders issue first;

I received 4 notices from Daniel on 16 Jun identifying each of my respective 4 orders have shipped.

Considering the slow down in mail traffic currently, I suspect it could potentially be 1st week of July I see them arrive.

I was surprised to see all 4 orders fullfilled but great news indeed.

Veum, if you send him an email in response to the ones you no doubt received identifying your order was "processed", that should garner a response.

In addition, I see Pygospa has offered to forward a mssg on your behalf. (Well done friend 👍).

One concern I have, is they are shipped via DHL.

Understandably I suppose, since options are quite limited.

Well, my concern is, I've recently received 3 packages from abroad, via DHL.

ALL of them, were hit with Customs and "processing" fees, because the 'actual amount' is evident on those invoices.

[One was my Parasite Steel from Amz.uk which arrived dented and loose discs, as well as costing me an additional $22 at the door].

I'm not sure if Daniel is putting the actual total price on the packages but if he did, well, I've got some hefty fees ahead of me...sigh.

It could be that he collected all items together, I don't know. For us German customers he normally sends them out parcel by parcel - but he does take his time, sometimes. But I guess it's because he is all alone, and I am not one of those customers who is asking all the time. Best to contact him, but as I said, I am also happy to do that for you as well. He's sometimes faster answering in Facebook than he is in E-Mail. Btw. @Veum did you check on the website as well? Sometimes I don't get a mail that it was sent.

Regarding DHL - well it's the German service, we don't have much else here. We used to have Deutsche Post, which did all the parcels and mail but then they split, and became the Deutsche Post DHL Group, with Deutsche Post doing only all the mail, and DHL all the parcels. DHL has since (in my eyes) lost in reliability - parcels in Germany are often broken, and they even lost a couple of mine. So I'm not too happy either. But other services here are sparse and mostly more inconvenient (e.g. we have Hermes and GLS, but those only have few spots where you can send and pick up stuff, so if I get something from them, and I'll need to pick it up, I'll be driving half accross town for an hour), and I don't even know if they work internationally.  I am not sure how Daniel does the declaration, but again - it's always easy to talk to him, maybe he can do something about it.

2 hours ago, Grendel said:

Thanks again for a lovely informative post Pygospa, very much appreciated.

If you discover what Vol 2 is and when it comes up for pre-order, please don't keep it a secret buddy!

First reaction reading this: Oh no! You didn't order the second one of these? Probably too late. So while reading I opened a new browser window and did a search (currently it's only on Amazon as well as Media Markt!!! all the other shops are sold out). But then I remember that I actually mentioned you and looking into that post, let me quote yourself:

On 6/8/2020 at 1:53 AM, Grendel said:

^^ Heh, an update already... @pygospa  and @Veum  🙂  ( and others, heh);

Just ordered the following from Wicked;

- Donovan's Brain

You already got your Vol. 2. As for Vol. 3, there is no info out yet, but of course I will do my usual chatty thread once it get's announced, and I will for sure put a mention in for you, so you won't miss it!

• Like 2

On 6/24/2020 at 2:29 AM, Veum said:

@pygospa,

🥤Please do convey a message for me and thank you!🙏 Mike 🤠😇😷😊

Hey @Veum, here is a statement Wicked released yesterday:

Due to the current corona crisis, we are confronted with many restrictions when shipping our products internationally.
Depending on the shipping destination, different restrictions apply, which seem to change daily.
Please ask before you order if we ca
n deliver to your country.

Update: 26.06.2020

- There are no more special restrictions for Europe. Only one postal code area may be subject to restrictions.
- We can deliver Canada again.
- USA is currently not available.

BUT: To give you the opportunity to buy items from our store before they are sold out,
you can still place your order and we will store your items until the shipping restrictions are lifted.

So apparently it's due to corona and some/all of the delivery services not being able to deliver into USA right now. This really sucks, and I am really sorry for you, my friend :( You can still order and Wicked will collect and send them right when the delivery bans are lifted, but just for now it's impossible. Alternatively you can always "can sell" (just read these two words fast and together - haha, take that you evil forum function :D ) your order.

I looked it up and official site of DHL confirms this; apparently USA is not allowing for EU parcels, only letters with max. 500g and 2cm thickness. There is some super-duper rather expensive premium deals you can use, to get them in there anyways which are pricey. But yeah. Checks out :( Really sad for you that you have to wait.

• Thanks 1