IGNORED

The Abyss (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital) [USA]

Gary K

• ★ Administrators ★

Release Date: March 12, 2024

Retail Price: TBA / $25.49 / $24.96

Purchase Link: Amazon Target Walmart

Note: Both versions will be included on both 4K UHD and Blu-ray.

71cHLk4EGFL._SL1394_.thumb.jpg.2e9cf6faab1e37f4fdfd7a48654220ce.jpg

BONUS FEATURES (NEW):

• Deep Dive: A Conversation with James Cameron – An exclusive new sit-down with James Cameron as he revisits the origin of the project and addresses some of the myths behind the production.
  • The Legacy of The Abyss – Discover the lasting legacy of The Abyss with stories from James Cameron and the crew about how and why the film continues to have an impact on filmmaking today.

ADDITIONAL BONUS:

• Under Pressure: Making The Abyss – The original documentary about the infamous production of The Abyss, with candid commentary by the actors and crew.
  • Archives
    • Deepcore Timelapse – Watch this production timelapse of the Deepcore set being created.
    • Videomatics Montage – Watch a montage of behind-the-scenes production videomatics.
    • Montana Bridge Flooding – See behind-the-scenes footage of the Montana bridge flooding.
    • Engine Room Flooding – See behind-the-scenes footage of the engine room flooding.
    • Surface Shoot Montage – Watch a behind-the-scenes montage of the surface shoot.
    • Crane Crash Shoot – Check out behind-the-scenes footage of the crane crashing sequence.
    • Visual Effects Reel – Watch a reel of visual effects progressions to see how they were developed for the film.
    • Miniature Rear-Projection – Watch behind-the-scenes footage of how production used rear-projection techniques on miniatures.
    • Motion Control Timelapse – Watch this production timelapse of the motion control technology being used.
    • Teaser Trailer
    • Main Trailer
    • Reviews Trailer
    • Still Gallery – Presented here are extras as they appeared in the “Imaging Station" on the Special Edition DVD release of The Abyss, along with the trailers. Since their original presentation has been preserved, resolution and clarity will vary from element to element.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Gary K said:

AND……that we get the extended “director’s” cut with the REAL ending….

That IS the only way I will buy this  Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

2 hours ago, FlipSaunders said:

I'll stick with my fullscreen terrible quality DVD to go next to my True Lies VHS thank you very much.

Thats Right GIF by Downton Abbey I'm keeping mine no matter what .

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Come on, dreaming is free. ;) 

Here is my idea:

A transparent hermetic container, filled with some type of gel that simulates water, acting as a full slip water cover, wider than it is high, and at the top the opening to remove the edition between the four walls of "water", such that its exterior colors are blue and shining, and that is what we see through the water when it is inside, including the title.

Then, the edition, full slip type, a design linked to the film with flashes that play through the "water", with a WWE steelbook, a generous booklet, and a folder designed as the submarine captain's folder including postcards, map, Id card, and all kinds of additional information.

Probably too expensive to produce, but for a moment it made me smile like a little kid. :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

Come on, dreaming is free. ;) 

Here is my idea:

A transparent hermetic container, filled with some type of gel that simulates water, acting as a full slip water cover, wider than it is high, and at the top the opening to remove the edition between the four walls of "water", such that its exterior colors are blue and shining, and that is what we see through the water when it is inside, including the title.

Then, the edition, full slip type, a design linked to the film with flashes that play through the "water", with a WWE steelbook, a generous booklet, and a folder designed as the submarine captain's folder including postcards, map, Id card, and all kinds of additional information.

Probably too expensive to produce, but for a moment it made me smile like a little kid. :D

You could create some pretty eye-popping lentis using some of the underwater visuals from the film.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • ShadowWarrior changed the title to The Abyss (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital) [USA]
  • 1 month later...

@jwhitm3

It looks like The Abyss has fared a bit better than the restorations for True Lies and Aliens.

There are some shots that haven't escaped the teal-tint and smoothed over/waxy look of the other two, but it mostly looks good. 

There's some nice detail and the colours pop, particularly with the underwater footage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Fortis93 said:

@jwhitm3

It looks like The Abyss has fared a bit better than the restorations for True Lies and Aliens.

There are some shots that haven't escaped the teal-tint and smoothed over/waxy look of the other two, but it mostly looks good. 

There's some nice detail and the colours pop, particularly with the underwater footage.

I was curious because the trailer for the abyss looked fantastic but it was on YouTube so I wasn't sure.  Probably helps that there is so much blue in this movie anyway and people being wet a lot maybe helps with the waxiness.  Guess this means I should stop holding out on T2.  Cameron doesn't seem to be changing his mind about this

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, jwhitm3 said:

I was curious because the trailer for the abyss looked fantastic but it was on YouTube so I wasn't sure.  Probably helps that there is so much blue in this movie anyway and people being wet a lot maybe helps with the waxiness.  Guess this means I should stop holding out on T2.  Cameron doesn't seem to be changing his mind about this

Yeah, you have to wonder if T1 will get the same treatment if it ever comes out on 4K.

I think The Abyss looks the best out of the new Cameron 4K titles so far.

I'm glad they're finally releasing these and there'll be many who'll enjoy them, but given the wait, I think these could've been a lot better.

From the remasters to the bonus material to the physical packaging itself (barebones 4K amaray).

It feels like these were rushed and thrown together to shut people up.

Edited by Fortis93
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

Yeah, you have to wonder if T1 will get the same treatment if it ever comes out on 4K.

I think The Abyss looks the best out of the new Cameron 4K titles so far.

I'm glad they're finally releasing these and there'll be many who'll enjoy them, but given the wait, I think these could've been a lot better.

From the remasters to the bonus material to the physical packaging itself (barebones 4K amaray).

It feels like these were rushed and thrown together to shut people up.

It's wild that it was such a long wait because Cameron had to oversee the transfer personally only so he could DNR them

• Like 4