IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

Two days ago, following a @Basil recommendation, I pasted a post of mine from here in the German room. 

I never go in, I don't speak German, and I thought it was a more local room than it really is: there were all the missing people from this room! They've been kidnapped!

After this intriguing and amusing discovery, I have some doubts:

• Are our conversations not so great anymore?
  • Is someone posting pictures of Scarlett and muscular guys there?
  • Aren't we the most charming guys anymore?
  • Will we all end up learning German?
  • What were they offered to get them? Bear? Mediabooks?

Who knows. 

I wouldn't mind learning German language, I'm almost the only one in my family who doesn't know.

But maybe it's easier to organize a little raffle here than to learn German. ;) 

Whatever. If Wim Wenders taught us anything, it's that we can walk alone in the desert, and even if years go by, we'll find our way again. 🤘

• Haha 6

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Casiusco:

Two days ago, following a @Basil recommendation, I pasted a post of mine from here in the German room. 

I never go in, I don't speak German, and I thought it was a more local room than it really is: there were all the missing people from this room! They've been kidnapped!

Who knows. 

I wouldn't mind learning German language, I'm almost the only one in my family who doesn't know.

Whatever. If Wim Wenders taught us anything, it's that we can walk alone in the desert, and even if years go by, we'll find our way again. 🤘

You Are Welcome Rachel Brosnahan GIF by The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

Who knows. 

@Casiusco the few of us English speaking chaps that are visiting the German room daily try using the google translate (at least I do 😛)…

sometimes this happens though! 😅

film meaning GIF by 01 Distribution translate role playing GIF by Hyper RPG Swiping Old Man GIF 

clint eastwood kids GIF

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Casiusco said:

Who knows. 

@Casiusco right my friend google translate is your friend works in chrome browser Little app add on so in built 👍👍👍

Used to be more beauty shots first but nils has been slacking lately 🤣🤣🤣

Everyone is welcome there the friendliness and manners are great Everyone starts there day with the good mornings and says hello then it all goes from there

Come try it you will see the fun and huge amount of people.

I resisted ages ago and I freely say this I was a fool, once I found google translate in the browser then you can understand easy 👍👍👍👍👍

do it jewish GIF

Basil 👍

Edited by Basil
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

Damn.

https://t.co/EkwAnjIMtE

Good morning everybody.

Of course, this is very bad news. And I hope they at least end up rectifying and keeping their usual exclusives and online shop.

But whatever happens with Best Buy, it is clear that we are in a moment of change. The business is being redefined. That the physical format is disappearing from physical shops is no longer a trend, it's a reality, a fact; and that streaming has cornered it into a niche market mainly for collectors is also a fact.

But is it the end of the world? No.

What we can't ask for is for things to work the way they used to. So where are we going, where should we go?

I write from Spain and here the local market has been used by the industry to make some experiments. For example, here Warner, Universal, Sony, Paramount and Disney no longer distribute their physical editions directly themselves, but through two local companies. They shut down their physical format teams, and simply license the distribution to one of those two companies. And it works. The only negative is that many times, due to royalties, some extras of are lost along the way, depending on whether the disc is international or made exclusively for here.

Another experiment was that Disney decided not to distribute 4K in Spain, and to recommend its fans to watch 4K only on Disney+. (...) The result is that Disney+ is no longer growing because of this, and 4K fans are buying editions in other countries, or were simply pissed off protesting against Disney. In the end, Disney has given in and decided to distribute 4K in Spain. Instead of disappearing, they appear.

And, in parallel, when some local distributors have disappeared, others news have appeared dedicated to the business of licensing titles that nobody distributes. At the same time, in Spain we have a jewel, "A Contracorriente Films", those with the Chaplin hat-edition. They sell us good editions, also of minority films, and they take great care of the product. And it works based in a very careful catalogue configuration. And it show us that the market still supports these kind of jewels, with good cared products.

How can all this industry work now? Because companies are not NGOs, they are here to make money. What can happen?

There is a public loyal to the physical format. Some are collectors, others are old school, others want the highest quality image and sound, and others simply want the security that they will always be able to watch their film, even when the streaming platforms lose their rights. 

It's not a mass audience, it's not a market comparable to 2010, but it's still a market that can make money. And it works. 

What should the industry do?

• Forget the old idea of selling the rights to one film in each country. It's not going to happen any more. Facing this new market requires cutting costs, and that starts with making universal, zone-free editions, with - at least - subtitles in the most widely spoken languages on the planet. Not adding subtitles in a language to try to sell the rights there .... when there is no real market for your film, is absurd. Counterproductive.
  • Allows shops to sell internationally without restrictions. Linked with the previous point. You'd be surprised how many people like Best Buy's EXclusive Steelbooks here, and how difficult - and expensive - it is for many people to get them because BestBuy doesn't ship to Europe (coming to MP is the best option...!!!).
  • Facilitating the licensing of films that nobody distributes. There are majors that don't license certain titles because they are part of their heritage, but they don't distribute them everywhere either. It's absurd.
  • Facilitate the licensing of films to make collector's editions. You have to keep the flame alive. Also, if you're only going to sell 500 or 1000 copies in a specific country, at least make them shine, and at the same time you save the costs of marketing them yourself.
  • Be aware of the moment we are living in as an industry: it's the time to sow, not to reap. To keep the fans, to build loyalty, to be in their thoughts. It's not the time to set exaggerated prices to make a short-term business, and scare people away, killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. And this goes for the majors as well as for small distributors, licensors, and even retailers. And several mistakes have been made in this regard.
  • Fans must defend the dignity of the physical format. In Spain there was a movement in which people started to show off their collections on social networks, against those who said that the physical format was dead. "Dead? Check this out!!". Having films in physical format is a source of pride, not a freak thing. A pride and a luxury. A sign of good taste. And a touch of distinction. We are demanding people who don't settle for just anything.
  • Be patient. If vinyl music has been resurrected, anything can be resurrected. It's just a question of fashions, trends, of exhausting a market model and recovering an earlier one. It happens with this, with clothes, and with everything. Even with sagas and reboots. We will be back in the physical shops. In Spain, 50% of people who buy vinyl don't have a vinyl player, and it's a booming business that is taking up more and more space in physical shops. When they get tired, we'll talk.
  • Take a shot every time your friends tell you that their favourite film has been deleted from their main platform. And smile. Smile a lot.

We are human beings. We like to play. It's in our DNA. Don't forget that. 

And managers of Best Buy, we're still here. You want our money? Let's talk.

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, Veum said:

@Casiusco the few of us English speaking chaps that are visiting the German room daily try using the google translate (at least I do 😛)…

sometimes this happens though! 😅

film meaning GIF by 01 Distribution translate role playing GIF by Hyper RPG Swiping Old Man GIF 

clint eastwood kids GIF

18 hours ago, Basil said:

@Casiusco right my friend google translate is your friend works in chrome browser Little app add on so in built 👍👍👍

🤣🤣🤣

👍👍👍👍👍

👍

I will give it a try. 

At the moment I'm already choosing a costume to post there. But if I end up making friends and going to the Oktoberfest it will be your fault, just so you know. ;) 

By the way, a small suggestion. This translator makes less mistakes than Google Translator:

https://www.deepl.com/translator

I haven't tried it with German because they usually speak English, but at work when we communicate with someone from a foreign country and they don't speak English, that's the one we use.

Just in case.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

I tried to write: We are human beings. We like to touch. It's in our DNA. Don't forget that. 

And it's subjective, but I think it's true. We are going crazy with making everything digital, and human beings can evolve, but we are still physical beings, with physical contact, and we like to touch.

To hold.

To caress.

To smell.

And no matter how much digital entertainment we have, we all end up needing to get out of the house, and walk. To breathe. Physical contact with the world.

And in our case, nothing like picking up a beautiful collector's edition, seeing it in your hands, opening it, taking everything out, smelling that it still reminds you of the factory, carefully putting everything back in, and closing it with a smile of happiness.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Casiusco said:

Good morning everybody.

Of course, this is very bad news. And I hope they at least end up rectifying and keeping their usual exclusives and online shop.

But whatever happens with Best Buy, it is clear that we are in a moment of change. The business is being redefined. That the physical format is disappearing from physical shops is no longer a trend, it's a reality, a fact; and that streaming has cornered it into a niche market mainly for collectors is also a fact.

But is it the end of the world? No.

What we can't ask for is for things to work the way they used to. So where are we going, where should we go?

I write from Spain and here the local market has been used by the industry to make some experiments. For example, here Warner, Universal, Sony, Paramount and Disney no longer distribute their physical editions directly themselves, but through two local companies. They shut down their physical format teams, and simply license the distribution to one of those two companies. And it works. The only negative is that many times, due to royalties, some extras of are lost along the way, depending on whether the disc is international or made exclusively for here.

Another experiment was that Disney decided not to distribute 4K in Spain, and to recommend its fans to watch 4K only on Disney+. (...) The result is that Disney+ is no longer growing because of this, and 4K fans are buying editions in other countries, or were simply pissed off protesting against Disney. In the end, Disney has given in and decided to distribute 4K in Spain. Instead of disappearing, they appear.

And, in parallel, when some local distributors have disappeared, others news have appeared dedicated to the business of licensing titles that nobody distributes. At the same time, in Spain we have a jewel, "A Contracorriente Films", those with the Chaplin hat-edition. They sell us good editions, also of minority films, and they take great care of the product. And it works based in a very careful catalogue configuration. And it show us that the market still supports these kind of jewels, with good cared products.

How can all this industry work now? Because companies are not NGOs, they are here to make money. What can happen?

There is a public loyal to the physical format. Some are collectors, others are old school, others want the highest quality image and sound, and others simply want the security that they will always be able to watch their film, even when the streaming platforms lose their rights. 

It's not a mass audience, it's not a market comparable to 2010, but it's still a market that can make money. And it works. 

What should the industry do?

• Forget the old idea of selling the rights to one film in each country. It's not going to happen any more. Facing this new market requires cutting costs, and that starts with making universal, zone-free editions, with - at least - subtitles in the most widely spoken languages on the planet. Not adding subtitles in a language to try to sell the rights there .... when there is no real market for your film, is absurd. Counterproductive.
  • Allows shops to sell internationally without restrictions. Linked with the previous point. You'd be surprised how many people like Best Buy's EXclusive Steelbooks here, and how difficult - and expensive - it is for many people to get them because BestBuy doesn't ship to Europe (coming to MP is the best option...!!!).
  • Facilitating the licensing of films that nobody distributes. There are majors that don't license certain titles because they are part of their heritage, but they don't distribute them everywhere either. It's absurd.
  • Facilitate the licensing of films to make collector's editions. You have to keep the flame alive. Also, if you're only going to sell 500 or 1000 copies in a specific country, at least make them shine, and at the same time you save the costs of marketing them yourself.
  • Be aware of the moment we are living in as an industry: it's the time to sow, not to reap. To keep the fans, to build loyalty, to be in their thoughts. It's not the time to set exaggerated prices to make a short-term business, and scare people away, killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. And this goes for the majors as well as for small distributors, licensors, and even retailers. And several mistakes have been made in this regard.
  • Fans must defend the dignity of the physical format. In Spain there was a movement in which people started to show off their collections on social networks, against those who said that the physical format was dead. "Dead? Check this out!!". Having films in physical format is a source of pride, not a freak thing. A pride and a luxury. A sign of good taste. And a touch of distinction. We are demanding people who don't settle for just anything.
  • Be patient. If vinyl music has been resurrected, anything can be resurrected. It's just a question of fashions, trends, of exhausting a market model and recovering an earlier one. It happens with this, with clothes, and with everything. Even with sagas and reboots. We will be back in the physical shops. In Spain, 50% of people who buy vinyl don't have a vinyl player, and it's a booming business that is taking up more and more space in physical shops. When they get tired, we'll talk.
  • Take a shot every time your friends tell you that their favourite film has been deleted from their main platform. And smile. Smile a lot.

And managers of Best Buy, we're still here. You want our money? Let's talk.

First Target, and now Best Buy. This is a big blow as we are losing all of our Physical Media outlets. It feels just like when all of the Blockbusters/Hollywood Videos closed down. I understand we buy a lot of boutique titles, but just going into a store and picking up a movie is one of the most gratifying experiences. Just having that physical disc in your hand and knowing that when Max, Netflix, or Hulu drops that title, you win.

• Like 5

🥤🎬 🤠 🐴 🍪 🍩Top of the day to ya, going to be 🌤️ here my friends… good day there, Veum here❣️🙏 :) 🙋‍♂️

Stay Calm Chill Out GIF by Stan.

40%
Very warm with times of sun and clouds; a thunderstorm in spots late this afternoon

RealFeel®78°

RealFeel Shade™77°

Max UV Index3 Moderate

WindSE 8 mph

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

BREAKING/EXCLUSIVE ON THE BITS: BEST BUY IS EXITING THE PHYSICAL MEDIA BUSINESS FOR GOOD IN 2024

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/101223-1100

Spoiler

All right, folks... we’ve got a little bit of a whopper for you today. And so as not to bury the lede, let’s get right to it...

The Digital Bits has learned from industry sources—and we’ve confirmed it with multiple sources now—that Best Buy plans to exit the physical media business for good next year, possibly as soon as the end of Q1 2024.

This includes not just their in-store Blu-ray, DVD, and 4K Ultra HD sales, which the retailer has been gradually phasing out for a couple of years now in their many store locations nationwide, but online sales as well. This means no more Best Buy-exclusive Steelbook titles, and no more titles from Best Buy period.

The fact that Best Buy is discontinuing physical media sales in their retail locations should come as no surprise; anyone who’s visited a Best Buy store location on a Tuesday recently will be all too aware that the retailer’s disc sections keep getting moved around and have gotten smaller and smaller. Our own experience here at The Bits is that some store locations don’t even bother to stock new-release titles on the sales floor anymore—even their exclusive ones. More than once, in their Southern California locations, I’ve had to ask for the titles and wait while a clerk checks the storeroom.

But the idea that Best Buy would discontinue online sales too comes as a bit of a surprise... though perhaps it shouldn’t. We’ve noted in recent months that Paramount has quietly shifted their Blu-ray and 4K Steelbook exclusive titles—titles that would normally have been released at Best Buy—to Amazon instead. And it seems very likely that other studios will follow Paramount’s lead in the months ahead. [Read on here...]

CLICK HERE to BACK THE BITS in our fight to preserve Physical Media CLICK HERE to shop through our Amazon.com links and SUPPORT THE BITS CLICK HERE to visit The Bits on Facebook CLICK HERE to visit The Bits on Twitter

Some of you may recall a story that my old friend TK Arnold, over at Media Play News, shared back in August (click here for that), which suggested that Walmart was in talks with Studio Distribution Services (SDS) about having SDS manage parts of the retailer’s own physical media operation, including shipping and distribution.

Walmart is already the largest retail seller of Blu-ray, DVD and 4K titles—larger even than Amazon—with over 45% market share. With Best Buy throwing in the towel, that leaves only Target and Amazon as serious competition in the physical media space here in the States. Amazon is certainly staying in that space for the long-haul, but Target stores too have scaled back their physical media sales in recent years. So it seems logical that these two pieces of news—Best Buy bowing out of the business and Walmart looking to upgrade or make more efficient their own—are not unrelated.

In any case, this is certainly a significant development. But while it obviously isn’t good news, no one should rush to the conclusion that this spells the end of physical media. The disc business is definitely no longer what it was, even five or six years ago. And the Golden Age of DVD and Blu-ray that so many of us remember fondly (a period that runs from 1997 to 2012–13) is long gone.

Still, the indie studios and distributors have built a thriving business—though one with narrow profit margins—by catering to diehard fans and collectors. And virtually all of the major Hollywood studios now recognize—or have begun to—that the disc business can still be a reliable source of revenue, even as streaming profits remain elusive and the theatrical business appears to be in decline.

As I said a few years ago, and have said many times since, physical media will likely continue to be viable through the end of the decade. But there is no doubt that times have changed, and it has most definitely become a niche market for collectors, not unlike the LaserDisc era back in the 1990s.

So our advice to disc fans continues to be this: Buy the titles you want while you still can, because gone are the days when the studios are going to keep releasing these titles on disc forever. Support physical media in every way you can, knowing that 4K Ultra HD is likely to be the last physical media format that comes to market. And enjoy your favorite movies and TV series on Blu-ray, DVD, and 4K UHD for as long as they last.

so tip if anything you are missing i would get it now or it could be gone forever soon

sad news this

basil 😢

• Sad 4

🥤🎬 🤠 🐴 🍪 🍩Top of the day to ya, going to be 🌧️ 🌬️ here my friends… good day there, Veum here❣️🙏 :) 🙋‍♂️

war talus GIF by HISTORY UK

84%
Cloudy, breezy and cooler with a couple of showers

RealFeel®57°

RealFeel Shade™54°

Max UV Index1 Low

WindW 15 mph

• Like 2