IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Casiusco said:

Good morning, everyone.

I just saw that yesterday I wrote 3 messages, and one was in Spanish, not English. That's the thing about being tired, you start writing in one language, change to another... and you don't realize it. And only because I was tired, eh, I hadn't drunk anything inappropriate. 

drunk-sleep.gif

Now something a bit more serious.

These days in Spain there is a big scandal in the world of cinema. Carlos Vermut is (¿was?) a director who had made three well-known films in independent film circles, who had won big awards in Spain, and who was taken as a great director in the future, a guy with a very personal vision.

But on Friday a fairly thorough journalistic investigation showed him as a guy who sexually -hard- assaulted people in his filmmaking entourage, sometimes with promises of future work. The chilling thing about this case is that the newspaper contacted him, and in his answers he doesn't seem like a guy aware of what he did; but, what's worse: no one in the industry came out to defend him, or appealed to the presumption of innocence. As if everyone knew. It didn't seem to surprise anyone.

Everyone is sure that this is true. Even people who worked with him.

Now the discussion in Spain is whether his films should continue to be seen or not.

And it is curious, because I have always been in favor of separating people and their works, of not "canceling" art because the person is despicable. Someone terrible can make wonderful works. And yet, after reading some things, sometimes it is not easy to do so.

In my case it's easy, because I wasn't a fan of his, and honestly, I think the fame of his films was exaggerated and undeserved. I didn't used to watch it, and nothing changes.

Now then: it's a difficult debate, isn't it?

It is tough.  My strong inclination has always been to let the work stand or fall on its own.  Currently, I wait and see.  We’ve had a lot of “huge” stories here, over the last few years, turn out to be largely or entirely untrue.  No need to get into specifics.  So I wait.

And I know (maybe I’m weak) that I can’t resist Chinatown, for instance.  I will watch it again.  It’s a tough thing.  

• Like 7

🥤🎬 🤠 🐴 🍪 🍩Top of the day to ya, going to be  ☁️ 🌨️ here my friends… good day there, Veum here❣️🙏 :) 🙋🏻‍♂️

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7s3ghh722diljcr66q7

84%
Cloudy; a little rain this morning followed by a couple of showers this afternoon

RealFeel®36°

RealFeel Shade™36°

Max UV Index1 Low

WindSSW 9 mph

• Like 7

• ★ Administrators ★
9 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

It is tough.  My strong inclination has always been to let the work stand or fall on its own.  Currently, I wait and see.  We’ve had a lot of “huge” stories here, over the last few years, turn out to be largely or entirely untrue.  No need to get into specifics.  So I wait.

And I know (maybe I’m weak) that I can’t resist Chinatown, for instance.  I will watch it again.  It’s a tough thing.  

I let the work stand on its own - particularly films as they are usually the product of more than just one person.  The "auteur" theory be damned.

Gary

• Like 8

On 1/30/2024 at 7:56 PM, Casiusco said:

Good morning, everyone.

I just saw that yesterday I wrote 3 messages, and one was in Spanish, not English. That's the thing about being tired, you start writing in one language, change to another... and you don't realize it. And only because I was tired, eh, I hadn't drunk anything inappropriate. 

drunk-sleep.gif

Now something a bit more serious.

These days in Spain there is a big scandal in the world of cinema. Carlos Vermut is (¿was?) a director who had made three well-known films in independent film circles, who had won big awards in Spain, and who was taken as a great director in the future, a guy with a very personal vision.

But on Friday a fairly thorough journalistic investigation showed him as a guy who sexually -hard- assaulted people in his filmmaking entourage, sometimes with promises of future work. The chilling thing about this case is that the newspaper contacted him, and in his answers he doesn't seem like a guy aware of what he did; but, what's worse: no one in the industry came out to defend him, or appealed to the presumption of innocence. As if everyone knew. It didn't seem to surprise anyone.

Everyone is sure that this is true. Even people who worked with him.

Now the discussion in Spain is whether his films should continue to be seen or not.

And it is curious, because I have always been in favor of separating people and their works, of not "canceling" art because the person is despicable. Someone terrible can make wonderful works. And yet, after reading some things, sometimes it is not easy to do so.

In my case it's easy, because I wasn't a fan of his, and honestly, I think the fame of his films was exaggerated and undeserved. I didn't used to watch it, and nothing changes.

Now then: it's a difficult debate, isn't it?

I usually try to separate the artist from their art.

I only take exception to this if they try to insert their own questionable beliefs or behaviours into a story that has no place for them.

I've seen many critics try to rationalise dealing with taboo topics in films, claiming that great art should be uncomfortable or willing to explore the uncomfortable.

I agree to an extent. If the story being told calls for it and the director has enough sense, tact and honesty to deal with it, then fine.

It's when directors use the above as an excuse purely to shock, provoke and draw attention to themselves that I start to take issue with it. 

If you're going to explore uncomfortable topics, it needs to be coming from an honest place, especially if you're shedding light on and wanting to encourage discussion on said issues and not out of some insecurity or childish need to throw everything at the screen and see what sticks.

• Like 10

Finally got my pre-orders in for the 4K Blu-Rays of "The Holdovers" and "Le Samourï"! The caps for Samourï look great from the 4K CE that came out late last year, so I am glad that are releasing a cheaper standalone version in April. I love that movie so much, and am stoked to check out the entirety of the restoration.

• Like 8

Awards

Good night, dear Psychos.

The truth is that I have hardly watched television for years, only content from my collection, and from some streaming platforms. But today I was zapping, and in Spain the Prime Time evening programmes still start around 22:30-23:00 and end between 1 and 2:30. I think it's clear to the programmers that more than half the country is going to be working without sleep, and stumbling over everything. :D

The good thing about having a good collection at home is that you see what you want, when you want and how you want. I make my own schedules. And if they delete a film from a platform, my dosco and I say goodbye with a smile.

• Like 10

On 1/30/2024 at 2:52 PM, Heywoodmoutaw said:

11 hours ago, Fortis93 said:

I usually try to separate the artist from their art.

I only take exception to this if they try to insert their own questionable beliefs or behaviours into a story that has no place for them.

I've seen many critics try to rationalise dealing with taboo topics in films, claiming that great art should be uncomfortable or willing to explore the uncomfortable.

I agree to an extent. If the story being told calls for it and the director has enough sense, tact and honesty to deal with it, then fine.

It's when directors use the above as an excuse purely to shock, provoke and draw attention to themselves that I start to take issue with it. 

If you're going to explore uncomfortable topics, it needs to be coming from an honest place, especially if you're shedding light on and wanting to encourage discussion on said issues and not out of some insecurity or childish need to throw everything at the screen and see what sticks.

I think the three of us share more or less the same opinion about separating the work and the person.

And that's good, not only in the era of "cancellations", but to have a broader perspective, and to see works even by people with whom we disagree in important beliefs, political, religious, or whatever.

As for what @Fortis93 says, I don't like it either when a director scandalises for no reason, seeking his own prominence, or letting his ego wander. But, at the same time, I love it when a director pushes me out of my comfort zone. Even to make me uncomfortable. 

Outside the comfort zone you can find wasted time, but also wonderful unexplored territories.

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 7

Hey everyone...

I'll be honest.. sometimes I do find it difficult to navigate the site and to find things. It could be just me, I'm not sure.

What I'm having trouble with today is finding the thread where I can post a suggestion for a site improvement.

Can somebody tell me how to find that please? I just don't want the link. I want to learn how to find it through our menus.

Thanks.

• Like 6

Awards

19 minutes ago, Whodini said:

Hey everyone...

I'll be honest.. sometimes I do find it difficult to navigate the site and to find things. It could be just me, I'm not sure.

What I'm having trouble with today is finding the thread where I can post a suggestion for a site improvement.

Can somebody tell me how to find that please? I just don't want the link. I want to learn how to find it through our menus.

Thanks.

Sure thing! Home page, under announcements, click “Suggestions to Improve MP” and start a thread there. 

IMG_0360.jpeg

Edited by hansreinhardt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Happy Thursday my compatriots! I cannot believe it it is February already! Gotta get those Valentine's Day arrangements done soon!

Animation Love GIF by Chibird

13 Days Until Valentine's Day!

22 Days Until SwornFest

107 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

127 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

163 Days Until Retro Expo

268 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

273 Days Until Halloween

301 Days Until Thanksgiving

328 Days Until Christmas

335 Days Until New Year

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

So the Conan line is pretty much a historical quote!

IMG_0690.thumb.jpeg.6f4bd416c89381a9f34087add5a572d1.jpeg

This is all wrong. 

My 13 year old self had it right . . . 

“A two liter of root beer, a large pepperoni lovers, piping hot, the Raiders on Monday Night Football with the sound off, The Meters on the turntable.”

A “Swift horse under” me would chafe my ass more than the couch.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1