IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

10 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Your rig has come along way from re-housed still lenses.  That's amazing. 

I have to ask though, which one is in the case?  Or are there two?  With that zoom range you only need one, I guess.

Yeah, that S35 and Full Frame swap out is amazing.  Have you done that yet?  I read about it but haven't actually seen it in practice.

You can call me lame, but I'm still on primes 99% of the time.  We can still be friends.  :)

Congrats my friend.

Thanks man! I do love a good prime though, I still use my Zeiss primes as much as I can. What's your go-to prime?

I haven't tried the S35/FF swap yet but I'd like to one of these days. We have both the EZ1 and EZ2, and it's usually myself and my DP running around with built C300 Mark III's. I usually cover wides/mediums on the 15-40mm, and he shoots mediums/closeups with the 30-90mm, so usually in the end we've got a good variety of angles and focal lengths. Shooting like that hasn't always worked necessarily, but for the most part it gets the job done. We've got a couple Canon 70-200's for anything tighter, and we once rented a 400mm too. 

• Like 3

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

Made a mistake I promised I wouldn’t make again, pre-ordering 2 movies as part of the same order.  I pre-ordered Second Sight Mean Streets axons Conan Chronicles together, well in advance.  They were originally coming out same date.  Now both are waiting for the delayed/back ordered Conan and I might not get the Mean Streets set either, because they’ll be out of it by the time the order ships.  Sucks.

Ordering the Mean Streets Criterion as a backup plan.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

37 minutes ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

Made a mistake I promised I wouldn’t make again, pre-ordering 2 movies as part of the same order.  I pre-ordered Second Sight Mean Streets axons Conan Chronicles together, well in advance.  They were originally coming out same date.  Now both are waiting for the delayed/back ordered Conan and I might not get the Mean Streets set either, because they’ll be out of it by the time the order ships.  Sucks.

Ordering the Mean Streets Criterion as a backup plan.

Hmm. Shouldn’t they set aside a Mean Streets for you until the order is fulfilled? 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

Hmm. Shouldn’t they set aside a Mean Streets for you until the order is fulfilled? 

I hope so(. I’ve emailed to ask.

Last spring, Blackhat was originally set to come out in a few weeks, pre-ordered it with the Second Sight The Witch set which was in stock at that point.  Blackhat kept moving its release date, didn’t come out until November by which time they were out of that set of The Witch (almost impossible to find now).  So I didn’t get it.

I’ve emailed this retailer to see if they’re holding my copy of Mean Streets.  We’ll see what they say.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

Last spring, Blackhat was originally set to come out in a few weeks, pre-ordered it with the Second Sight The Witch set which was in stock at that point.  Blackhat kept moving its release date, didn’t come out until November by which time they were out of that set of The Witch (almost impossible to find now).  So I didn’t get it.

I’ve emailed this retailer to see if they’re holding my copy of Mean Streets.  We’ll see what they say.

Ugh that’s horrible with The Witch, sounds like some poor shipping policies to me. Sorry that happened to you. I hope you can fare better with Mean Streets! Fingers crossed. Keep us posted. 

Edited by hansreinhardt
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

Thanks man! I do love a good prime though, I still use my Zeiss primes as much as I can. What's your go-to prime?

I haven't tried the S35/FF swap yet but I'd like to one of these days. We have both the EZ1 and EZ2, and it's usually myself and my DP running around with built C300 Mark III's. I usually cover wides/mediums on the 15-40mm, and he shoots mediums/closeups with the 30-90mm, so usually in the end we've got a good variety of angles and focal lengths. Shooting like that hasn't always worked necessarily, but for the most part it gets the job done. We've got a couple Canon 70-200's for anything tighter, and we once rented a 400mm too. 

What's the next step for camera?  That C300 Mkiii is great, but those lenses can resolve way more detail than that censor can handle.  Curious what you get.

Yeah, that set up sounds really nice, efficient, and I bet everything looks great.

I looked at Napoleon specs, and I'm still amazed how ubiquitous the Alexa Mini (LF) is.  I've used it on almost every shoot for a couple years, and it feels like the end of the road, like will we need anything better ever?  Super easy to rig, versatile, perfect grain structure, stable interface, and . . . we had one go down, hooked it up to wifi and the technicians in Germany fixed it via wifi in about an hour.

Feels like my lenses have been a lot of super speeds lately, jobs have required that sharp, high-key cool look.  As you know I don't own any gear, it just magically appears on set via the producer!   Go figure.

Edited by BreakBeatDJ
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

Arrow has done pretty good with me by holding one and shipping it all together. I pray you have the same outcome!

• Like 4

Happy Thursday All! Hope each and everyone of you has an awesome day!

Mood Reaction GIF by Spice Girls

36 Days Until SwornFest

121 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

141 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

177 Days Until Retro Expo

282 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

287 Days Until Halloween

315 Days Until Thanksgiving

342 Days Until Christmas

349 Days Until New Year

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

I might not get the Mean Streets set either, because they’ll be out of it by the time the order ships.

Yeah, I agree in general, I try not to order pre-orders with anything else.  But, I have to say I agree with @hansreinhardt they should hold one for you.  I've never had that happen, where an available item was held up by a pre-order and then I didn't get the in stock item when both shipped.  Not saying it can't/won't happen, but I would bet your good. 

EDIT - just read your story about The Witch, so I guess it does happen.  I hope it gets sorted for you.

I didn't see, where did you order it from?  DiabolikDVD?  I can't imagine Jesse would do that.

Edited by BreakBeatDJ
  • Like 5

🥤🎬 🤠 🐴 🍪 🍩Top of the day to ya, going to be 🌨️ ☁️ 🥶 here my friends… good day there, Veum here❣️🙏 :) 🙋🏻‍♂️

Tired Stop Motion GIF by Mouse

88%
A little snow at times with little or no accumulation

RealFeel®30°

RealFeel Shade™30°

Max UV Index1 Low

WindSSW 7 mph

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Yeah, I agree in general, I try not to order pre-orders with anything else.  But, I have to say I agree with @hansreinhardt they should hold one for you.  I've never had that happen, where an available item was held up by a pre-order and then I didn't get the in stock item when both shipped.  Not saying it can't/won't happen, but I would bet your good. 

EDIT - just read your story about The Witch, so I guess it does happen.  I hope it gets sorted for you.

I didn't see, where did you order it from?  DiabolikDVD?  I can't imagine Jesse would do that.

The new order is Diabolik, I’ve ordered from them before but first time I’ve been in this situation with them.  I emailed yesterday to ask if they’ll hold Mean Streets.

I hate to name the other company because they’ve over all been good to me, it’s a US movie retailer.  I emailed them both times Blackhat got pushed back, because I ended up waiting 6 months on 4 other movies, to see if they could send the others and they basically said “nope, says right there in the rules they all ship together”.  Like I said, I should’ve known better than to order these two together.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

The new order is Diabolik, I’ve ordered from them before but first time I’ve been in this situation with them.  I emailed yesterday to ask if they’ll hold Mean Streets.

I hate to name the other company because they’ve over all been good to me, it’s a US movie retailer.  I emailed them both times Blackhat got pushed back, because I ended up waiting 6 months on 4 other movies, to see if they could send the others and they basically said “nope, says right there in the rules they all ship together”.  Like I said, I should’ve known better than to order these two together.

No crisis, kudos to Diabolik!  They already emailed me back and told me they’ve set aside a copy of Mean Streets for me.  

Still shouldn’t order together; if I hadn’t done that then I’d have Second Sight Mean Streets in my grubby little mitts already :) 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

What's the next step for camera?  That C300 Mkiii is great, but those lenses can resolve way more detail than that censor can handle.  Curious what you get.

Yeah, that set up sounds really nice, efficient, and I bet everything looks great.

Well I think the truthful answer to that is to simply use the camera I've got! We've been maxing out bitrate to try and squeeze every last bit of information out of it, and for probably 80% of the stuff we're doing, it performs admirably. I've got the expansion unit on order too, so will be nice to have the extra XLR inputs.

Down the line... for doc work, I would love to get a bit smaller—I'm curious about the FX3 and FX6, or something like that. I'm just so used to a handheld shoulder rig. Blackmagic's tempt me frequently, but I have lost trust in their cameras after some issues with my own BMCC. If we start doing content that demands higher end cameras, of course an Alexa would be a dream to work with. And absolutely incredible that technicians were able to fix yours via Wi-Fi, did you ever think you'd see the day? 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dear Psychos, I hope you have had a great day.

I'm working too much these days. That's the bad thing about loving collector's editions, you have to pay for them somehow!

This week I am really tired. But at least yesterday I was able to stop for a while, and my team won and played a great game.

Finally, after a few terrible months, I went to bed with a smile on my face after watching a game! :D

Yes, when they do very badly... it's better that nobody talks to me about football. :P 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

• ★ Administrators ★
4 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

No crisis, kudos to Diabolik!  They already emailed me back and told me they’ve set aside a copy of Mean Streets for me.  

Still shouldn’t order together; if I hadn’t done that then I’d have Second Sight Mean Streets in my grubby little mitts already :) 

Diabolik ALWAYS sets aside the inventory  when you pre-order.  I ordered a bunch of other items with arrow black hat and all came when black hat was finally released.   I’d really like to know who the other retailer is since if their policy is only to ship when the last is in stock they really ought to be holding the inventory.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

🥤🎬 🤠 🐴 🍪 🍩Top of the day to ya, going to be 🌨️ ☁️ 🌬 🥶 here my friends… good day there, Veum here❣️🙏 :) 🙋🏻‍♂️

Freezing Bill Murray GIF

80%
A bit of morning snow, accumulating a coating to an inch; otherwise, low clouds and breezy; storm total 1-2"; expect slow travel during the morning commute

RealFeel®

RealFeel Shade™

Max UV Index1 Low

WindWNW 15 mph

• Like 4

Happy Friday All! More cold weather coming for the DFW area, so I'm so happy (I love the cold). Have an amazing day, and don't work too hard @Casiusco!

Freezing Winter Solstice GIF by filmeditor

35 Days Until SwornFest

120 Days Until Texas Frightmare Weekend

140 Days Until Fan Expo - Dallas

176 Days Until Retro Expo

281 Days Until Cowtown Comic Con

286 Days Until Halloween

314 Days Until Thanksgiving

341 Days Until Christmas

348 Days Until New Year

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Good morning reporting live from round two of this snow storm. The office is closed so work from home was authorized extra thick sliced bacon is in the cast iron skillet and there's a stack of movies to be watched. If you're going out stay safe and happy Friday. 

China Snow GIF bacon GIF Work From Home Coffee GIF by Modern Monsters

Yeah, so tired of this stuff.  We got a thin coating of ice early last night, then a thin coating of snow on top of that, thankfully, overnight.  

I’m at work of course, and again tomorrow.  Calling for negative degree wind chills tonight and in the morning.  This stuff’s getting old.  I live in the south!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

Yeah, so tired of this stuff.  We got a thin coating of ice early last night, then a thin coating of snow on top of that, thankfully, overnight.  

I’m at work of course, and again tomorrow.  Calling for negative degree wind chills tonight and in the morning.  This stuff’s getting old.  I live in the south!

I heard you guys were catching it. My friend lives in Bartlett TN but she's from Jersey so she's used to it but she was telling me about the accidents and the closures.  

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Good morning reporting live from round two of this snow storm. The office is closed so work from home was authorized extra thick sliced bacon is in the cast iron skillet and there's a stack of movies to be watched. If you're going out stay safe and happy Friday. 

China Snow GIF bacon GIF Work From Home Coffee GIF by Modern Monsters

26 minutes ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

I actually survived this fellas 🏤 😳 ❄️ 🥶 🌬 

valentine ts GIF 

Jamie Lee Curtis Oops GIF

Blizzard of ‘78

The total January snowfall of 30.6 inches

image.jpeg.fc675e81a5f544b3e19c6bff54a320f3.jpeg

Spoiler

The worst blizzard in Indianapolis history battered the city and most of Indiana on January 25-27. The “Great Blizzard of 1978” was part of a regional storm system that ravaged much of the Midwest and the eastern United States. Before it hit Indianapolis, 5 inches of snow from an earlier storm remained on the ground. At 3:45 P.M., Wednesday, January 25, National Weather Service forecasters in Indianapolis issued a blizzard warning for the entire state—the only time such a warning was declared statewide. Snow began falling in the Indianapolis area about 5 P.M. When the storm abated 34 hours later, the city had received 15.5 inches of new snow, bringing the total snow depth to more than 20 inches. The total January snowfall of 30.6 inches set a monthly record for Indianapolis.

blizzard-of-1978-0-cropped.jpg Plowed parking lot in an Indianapolis-area shopping mall following the Blizzard of 1978. Credit:William Palmer/Indianapolis News, Indiana Historical Society View Source

Strong, gusty winds that prevailed for nearly two days created snowdrifts as deep as 10 feet. At the blizzard’s peak early Thursday, January 26, northwest winds reached 55 miles per hour, and the wind-chill temperature plummeted to -51°F. Although air temperatures near 0°F did not break any weather records, the combination of drifting snow, limited visibility, and bitter wind chills created severe conditions that eclipsed previous blizzards of January 29, 1977, and February 25, 1965.

The blizzard halted most forms of transportation. By early Thursday, travel on snow-clogged roadways was impossible. Airline, bus, and rail service ceased. INDIANAPOLIS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT was closed for a record three days from 11:45 P.M. Wednesday until 10 A.M. Saturday. Most businesses, industries, and nonessential services throughout the metropolitan area either closed or operated on a limited basis and with minimal staff.

blizzard-of-1978-1-cropped.jpg A car buried in the blizzard of 1978. Credit: William Palmer/Indianapolis News, Indiana Historical Society View Source

The shutdown of land and air travel marooned thousands of people. Stranded travelers sought shelter at hotels, motels, Red Cross stations, National Guard armories, fire stations, public schools, hospitals, and homes of friends and relatives. Most state legislators, who had convened in Indianapolis for a session of the Indiana General Assembly, found lodging at downtown motels. Many of the city’s service personnel and other snowbound employees remained at their workplace, some for as long as three days.

On Thursday Indianapolis Mayor WILLIAM H HUDNUT III declared a snow emergency, mirroring the statewide emergency called by Governor Otis R. Bowen. The city’s snow emergency remained in effect for three days, the longest such emergency ever issued for Indianapolis. Hudnut’s declaration, coupled with his citywide curfew on Friday and Saturday nights, discouraged unnecessary travel, reduced the number of abandoned vehicles on roadways, and helped deter looting and vandalism.

blizzard-of-1978-2-cropped.jpg Plowed snow is piled high after snow removal efforts at the Indianapolis International Airport in 1978. Credit: Indiana Historical Society View Source

Throughout the four-day ordeal, local officials, led by Mayor Hudnut, maintained essential services. Emergency personnel rescued stranded motorists and ferried the ill and injured to hospitals. Workers also delivered medical supplies to hospitals and homebound patients, provided food and fuel to the needy, and relayed information on the few local pharmacies and groceries that remained open.

Because standard emergency vehicles could not negotiate the snow-clogged roadways, an array of trucks, snowplows, bulldozers, snowmobiles, and helicopters were called into service. On one segment of Interstate 465, a National Guard armored personnel carrier was required to break through massive snowdrifts. Civilian volunteers owning four-wheel-drive vehicles played a pivotal role in many emergency missions and service runs. Businesses, automobile dealerships, and hundreds of Indianapolis residents loaned four-wheel-drive vehicles to the city’s emergency staff and helped transport workers to and from their posts. Snowmobile owners provided similar assistance, and networks of citizens-band-radio operators helped dispatch emergency personnel.

plowed-parking-lot-in-an-indianapolis-area-shopping-mall-following-the-blizzard-of-1978-2-3-full.jpg During the Blizzard of 1978, Mayor Bill Hudnut frequently donned an Indianapolis Racers cap as he coordinated the emergency response, Jan. 1978 Credit: IndyStar View Source

The state and city transportation departments faced a snow removal challenge of unprecedented scale. Although 60 snowplows and salt trucks were working on major thoroughfares in the metropolitan area, the city rented 29 heavy front and end loaders to break through snowdrifts and hired private contractors to supplement overwhelmed city crews. Although snow removal efforts were at first stymied by rapidly drifting snow, the city intensified its cleanup efforts early Saturday as high winds diminished. By Sunday, January 29, main roads in the metropolitan area were once again passable.

In the blizzard’s aftermath, Indianapolis experienced a surge in civic pride as residents reflected upon stories of personal sacrifice and acts of goodwill. Hudnut’s hands-on approach and frequent media presence throughout the blizzard bolstered confidence in his leadership. He later characterized the blizzard as a defining moment in his administration. Tow truck drivers, heavy equipment operators, merchants of snow removal equipment, and four-wheel-drive dealerships enjoyed windfall profits.

After the blizzard, Indianapolis reexamined its preparedness for future snowstorms. A boost in the transportation department’s previously meager budget led to the purchase of heavier, more reliable equipment for snow removal. The city identified snow priority routes and eventually developed a comprehensive master plan for snow and ice removal. The police department improved its access to emergency vehicles, and the sheriff’s department eventually purchased several four-wheel-drive vehicles to transport dispatchers and officers to their posts during heavy snows. Similarly, the city’s major television stations began to purchase four-wheel-drive vehicles, which 10 years later would become commonplace in the Indianapolis area.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

I heard you guys were catching it. My friend lives in Bartlett TN but she's from Jersey so she's used to it but she was telling me about the accidents and the closures.  

They just don’t clear the roads as well here.  It happens so rarely that they don’t invest in the salting/scraping infrastructure.  Better than it used to be.  You can drive on the main roads here if you can get to them.  People who live in the country are just staying home, too many hills and curves and no one clearing them.

• Like 4