IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

5 minutes ago, Basil said:

i'll give you the @Casiusco answer xD 

but are you? do you look in the mirror and dream of what existential plain you live on or do you dream in the dreamscape of reality?

these are depths of the imagination of the quintessential existent we wish to possess.

Captain America Laughing GIF by mtv

basil :D

Will the REAL @Basil 🦊 please stand up...

very funny lol GIF

• Haha 3

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Fortis93 said:

I think you've touched upon something here. He leans into reality as means of telling the story the same way Fellini leans into fantasy or the surreal to tell his stories.

You look at something like "Inception", for example, where one of the main ideas is that dreams feel real while we're in them.

He could've taken the route someone like Fellini or Lynch may have taken and incorporate some rather bizarre or surreal elements into the dream sequences, but he instead he eschews this in favour of presenting a grounded realty, so that the audience isn't questioning the reality of these dreams.

As a result, they feel real and we start to forget that we're in the dream world. There's nothing to really pull us out of that moment or tip us off that we're in a dream world. Very similar to how we dream and how we perceive dreams.

With something like "Tenet", Nolan does something similar, but ends up achieving a different outcome.

He grounds the inverted world in as tangible reality as possible, so that not only does it feel real, but quite magical as well.

All those over-the-shoulder shots where we're following characters running through environments where everything else around them is going backwards, most of which has been achieved through practical means, really gives you the sense of magic or a fantasy world being made real. 

I'm agree. Absolutely.

Just one more point.

Sometimes I have the impression that the one who is capable of playing between this two worlds, or this two directions, is Lynch. Some days, thinking about this topics, I feel like everything is going to Lynch.

Which is not simple, nor easy.

But that it is not simple or easy does not mean that it is not exciting.

In short, we have Fellini and Nolan interested in reality, but assuming it in opposite directions: one going towards it, and the other escaping from it; both to show real elements and emotions.

And then we have Lynch, who is capable of playing like a small child, circling around anyone, drawing curves so wide that you get lost and not find your orientation; and then put everything back on track and end up in something brilliant. 

Interestingly, the three directors, each in their own way, are difficult for many people. They are not comfortable with them. But if I'm honest, some of the movies that have impacted me the most, I didn't like them the first time, or I just didn't understand them.

Sometimes a trip requires effort, which you may be willing to do, or simply think it is a waste of time.

All options are valid and respectable.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Veum said:

Fellows does that mean I am not who I think I am...

Vintage Z GIF

Dear @Veum.

There are many people in the world who are different than what they think they are. Others are different from what they see in the mirror. And sometimes, even, life changes people and they are no longer the same person who smiled on the driver's license.

This is easily seen when you travel to other countries, and you realize that, not only do they see your people or your country differently from you, but even when you return you see some things differently. You detect things that you did not detect before, simply because they had always been there.

Who you are?

I have always believed that we are what we do. The words are gone with the wind.

But in this case, if we are serious, and we get to talk seriously, we have to tell you that ... you ... are ... our idol !!!!

What a collection you must have at home !!!! ;) 

American-Idol-Luces-66657.gif

When we grow up we want to be like you. :D

PS: And the mask suits you very well. ;) 

PS2: With your funny post you have made me remember "Open your eyes", a successful spanish film by Alejandro Amenabar. Years later Tom Cruise produced and starred in the (maybe failed) American remake, "Vanilla Sky," but I didn't like it that much anymore. The original is better, really better. Imagine that one day when you wake up you hear a woman's voice tell you ... "open your eyes", and when you open them, everything in your life is different from what you had thought. But this is always better than if it happens to you like Gregor Samsa in Kafka's book, and you wake up discovering that you are ... a giant insect !!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Basil said:

i'll give you the @Casiusco answer xD 

but are you? do you look in the mirror and dream of what existential plain you live on or do you dream in the dreamscape of reality?

these are depths of the imagination of the quintessential existent we wish to possess.

Captain America Laughing GIF by mtv

basil :D

ezgif-2-62c231884a.gif

;) 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Casiusco said:

Interestingly, the three directors, each in their own way, are difficult for many people. They are not comfortable with them. But if I'm honest, some of the movies that have impacted me the most, I didn't like them the first time, or I just didn't understand them.

Sometimes a trip requires effort, which you may be willing to do, or simply think it is a waste of time.

All options are valid and respectable.

I think you'll like this interview excerpt where Nolan talks about "Lost Highway".

Spoiler

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Fortis93 said:

I think you'll like this interview excerpt where Nolan talks about "Lost Highway".

Hide contents

Thank you. It was very interesting. In addition to being a director, Nolan is a filmmaker, and it is very interesting to hear him talk about cinema, beyond even his films.

This reminded me of one of the most famous film critics in Spain, who usually hits Lynch a lot, and who wrote a review crushing "Inland Empire" even before its premiere. When he watched it, he devoted several columns to describing it as something absurd, boring, meaningless; to say that it was not cinema; just the ramblings of someone making fun of the audience. But, curiously, two days later, he had the honesty to admit that he couldn't get this film out of his head; and that he wanted to go back to watch it again to check some things.

I think it's very significant, and not that different from Nolan's experience.

The latest Lynch films are not easy; absolutely. They require patience, an extremely open mind, wide eyes, and the determination to want to go all the way. And as I said before, the effort that it requires may -or may not- be worth it. Each according to their opinion.

Still, notice that when "Mulholland drive" was released, it seemed like no one understood anything. And little by little, that opinion changed over the years. Nowadays it even seems like a simple movie, but the greatest thing about this, is that it seems simple because everyone has an explanation, ¡but almost all the explanations that people give it are different!!!

By the way, I will never understand why a director -yes, special- with a very loyal audience, and who by putting his name is capable of selling almost anything, does not have "premium" collector's editions of his films in the most popular retailers. 

I have WCL "Wild at heart", and a wonderful collector's edition of "Mulholland Drive" that was released in Spain; but if we forget some steelbooks, or "plain" editions, there isn't much else.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Casiusco said:

I have WCL "Wild at heart", and a wonderful collector's edition of "Mulholland Drive" that was released in Spain; but if we forget some steelbooks, or "plain" editions, there isn't much else.

Well, I'm one of those people whose favourite Lynch films are "The Elephant Man" and "The Straight Story" (also some of my favourite films of all time).

I own this really neat edition of "The Elephant Man" on 4K:

Spoiler

20200811_175142.jpg.414db447faf3ccb34e37

20200811_175249.jpg.ee2765622038bbb6e010

Now, I'm just waiting on something similar for "The Straight Story". xD

I heartily agree with your sentiment that the range of premiums should be expanded to further encompass films made by directors who are either not part of the mainstream, or those who may have been forgotten in recent times or perhaps not received their due.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Casiusco said:

Thank you. It was very interesting. In addition to being a director, Nolan is a filmmaker, and it is very interesting to hear him talk about cinema, beyond even his films.

Also, if you haven't already, I'd actually recommend watching the entire interview. I think you'll like what people like Nolan and Sir Kenneth Branagh have to say, not just about Nolan films, but the filmmaking process in general (including films that speak to them).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another morning, another day, another opportunity to be stronger than before! Psychos HAPpY 

Satisfying Sunday

Spoiler

O6IpR95.jpg

UWDdpX2.jpg

gdIXrwY.jpg

LmPgu15.jpg

oNl1xxz.jpg

NraPB7s.jpg

wlfnAsW.jpg

S6zdh3b.jpg

Q5uqRM6.jpg

vkzsiEc.jpg

SjW6Go0.jpg

Good Morning Psychos! I hope you all are feeling well today! Here’s to everyone having a Soothing Sunday & a great start to the new week!

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2