IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

7 minutes ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Glad to see you again as well! I could certainly go for some brisk weather..nothing but more of the same here in FL. 

Not much new here. Family life and the farm has been keeping me busy. I feel like I spend most of my hours on the mower these days although I've had a bit of a break because we've had so much rain. 

Are you trying to stick to the horror genre this month? I'm taking the opportunity and trying to finally watch some classics that I have been on my list for a long time. I watched The Shining for the first time last night (I know, I know).  To be honest, I really miss Films Unearthed Community Kickoff. That was a nice space to watch and discuss some of these films in detail

Glad to hear you're doing well! Whereabouts in Florida? I lived in Winter Park for a couple years.

Yeah, I usually try and stick to horror in October, but last couple of years I've had big project deadlines this month so it's been tough to keep up. So far, I've only watched The Descent and Paranormal Activity. The Descent had the wrong ending too, which I was bummed about (need that unrated director's cut ending!!) What'd you think of The Shining? One of my all time favorites!

I miss Films Unearthed too. After awhile it was really tough for me to keep up with, life gets in the way sometimes. But when I had time to watch, it was really neat having that shared experience & discussion with everyone here! 

• Like 3

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Did it really bring in a bunch of people? Kind of surprising. It was obviously a huge hit but I didn't expect to see much overlap between the audience and the physical collecting community.

Erm no the reality is people come from other sites buy here and then bugger off back there.

Been going on for a while now use mp cos allocation is larger.

There are even members travel the three sites getting different copies on each to get the lot.

Some say scalper talk 🤣🤣🤣

Shame it goes down like that

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

Glad to hear you're doing well! Whereabouts in Florida? I lived in Winter Park for a couple years.

Yeah, I usually try and stick to horror in October, but last couple of years I've had big project deadlines this month so it's been tough to keep up. So far, I've only watched The Descent and Paranormal Activity. The Descent had the wrong ending too, which I was bummed about (need that unrated director's cut ending!!) What'd you think of The Shining? One of my all time favorites!

I miss Films Unearthed too. After awhile it was really tough for me to keep up with, life gets in the way sometimes. But when I had time to watch, it was really neat having that shared experience & discussion with everyone here! 

Oh, awesome! I'm on the Treasure Coast so a bit south of where you used to be. 

I haven't seen either Descent or Paranormal Activity. I'm looking to broaden my horizons a bit so I might check those out. I know Gary gave me a list quite a bit ago so I'll go back and try to find it. I enjoyed The Shining. There's really very little fault I could find with it as the story, camerawork, acting, score, etc are all top notch. I thought that Jack's descent was a little rapid, but that's about it. Though I must admit that I think The Simpsons ruined it a bit for me, lol. They did such a good job parodying the film that I felt like I'd seen it already. 

homer simpson halloween GIF

The only other Halloween-related films I've watched this month are Zombieland and Zombieland 2 but those are more comedies than anything. Toward the end of September I did watch Mulholland Drive and Perfect Blue (both first viewings) and they blew my mind. I pretty much got away from the film club before those came up for the same reasons you mentioned. Life just got crazy. I'll have to ask @extantsrevenge about which edition of Perfect Blue to pursue now that I've seen (and enjoyed) it.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Basil said:

Erm no the reality is people come from other sites buy here and then bugger off back there.

Been going on for a while now use mp cos allocation is larger.

There are even members travel the three sites getting different copies on each to get the lot.

Some say scalper talk 🤣🤣🤣

Shame it goes down like that

Unfortunately, I have also noticed that. I don't think it's a large number of people but they are definitely out there. I think there are just a good number of people who want their stuff but not so much the community.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

Wow 5/5 skulls! Will have to give that one a watch. 

Just started The Exorcist for the first time. Don’t know how I’d never gotten around to seeing this… 

I’m envious.  I wish I could experience The Exorcist for the first time again.  Not just a great horror movie, a great movie full stop.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Oh, awesome! I'm on the Treasure Coast so a bit south of where you used to be. 

I haven't seen either Descent or Paranormal Activity. I'm looking to broaden my horizons a bit so I might check those out. I know Gary gave me a list quite a bit ago so I'll go back and try to find it. I enjoyed The Shining. There's really very little fault I could find with it as the story, camerawork, acting, score, etc are all top notch. I thought that Jack's descent was a little rapid, but that's about it. Though I must admit that I think The Simpsons ruined it a bit for me, lol. They did such a good job parodying the film that I felt like I'd seen it already. 

homer simpson halloween GIF

The only other Halloween-related films I've watched this month are Zombieland and Zombieland 2 but those are more comedies than anything. Toward the end of September I did watch Mulholland Drive and Perfect Blue (both first viewings) and they blew my mind. I pretty much got away from the film club before those came up for the same reasons you mentioned. Life just got crazy. I'll have to ask @extantsrevenge about which edition of Perfect Blue to pursue now that I've seen (and enjoyed) it.

You led me to look up Perfect Blue on IMDb and now I’m wondering: which version did you already see?

The Lynch mention has me wanting to watch Lost Highway as an October option.  Picked up the Criterion 4K when it came out, as a movie I loved when it originally released, but never made my way to watching it.  I think it’s time.

• Like 5

Oh, and I guess I’m careful of the tastes of the person that I’m recommending it to, but: if a person has enough of a taste for Cronenberg that they enjoyed Dead Ringers and Crash, I recommend Crimes of the Future as a good October choice.  Not a horror movie, I guess, but there’s horror *in* it.

• Like 4

FYI, North American Psychos, I posted this in the German room, “Dies und Das”:

I’ve been trying to figure out why there is so much animosity in the German room towards the movie Barbie, and I do believe that it is a cultural phenomenon that appeals much more to Americans than Germans (or Europeans in general). There has been a HUGE number of new members that were drawn in by the announcement of the Barbie Manta Lab editions, well over 50 new members since the announcement of this Group Buy. That’s really almost unbelievable if it weren’t true, but it is. I regularly greet new members, and I have barely been able to keep up with the torrent of new sign-ups to be members of MP. 

A simple tally of the people who have ordered a Manta Lab Barbie edition is quite surprising. Only THREE people from Germany, ONE from Switzerland and NONE from Austria have made requests, while so far there are 104 requests from the USA. That might say something about the appeal of this movie, whether it’s the humor or the writing or the iconography of Mattel toys…. Who knows??? I am a heterosexual male, and I absolutely loved the movie because it was able to laugh at itself. 

Certainly this will bring up some discussion I hope…

Edited by Manticore4
  • Like 4

Awards

7 minutes ago, Manticore4 said:

I’ve been trying to figure out why there is so much animosity in the German room towards the movie Barbie, and I do believe that it is a cultural phenomenon that appeals much more to Americans more than Germans (or Europeans in general).  

A simple tally of the people who have ordered the Manta Lab edition is quite surprising. Only THREE people from Germany, ONE from Switzerland and NONE from Austria have made requests, while so far there are 104 requests from the USA. That might say something about the appeal of this movie, whether it’s the humor or the writing or the iconography of Mattel toys…. Who knows??? I am a heterosexual male, and I absolutely loved the movie because it was able to laugh at itself. 

Humor, especially based in culture as opposed to, say, slapstick just doesn’t travel well across cultures sometimes.  I haven’t even seen Barbie yet but it looks like not just a pure product of American culture but something that’s ironic in its approach to that very specific thing, which puts it at even more of a remove in terms of people from other cultures getting the joke.  If that makes sense.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Manticore4 said:

I’ve been trying to figure out why there is so much animosity in the German room towards the movie Barbie, and I do believe that it is a cultural phenomenon that appeals much more to Americans than Germans (or Europeans in general). There has been a HUGE number of new members that were drawn in by the announcement of the Barbie Manta Lab editions, well over 50 new members since the announcement of this Group Buy. That’s really almost unbelievable if it weren’t true, but it is. I regularly greet new members, and I have barely been able to keep up with the torrent of new sign-ups to be members of MP. 

A simple tally of the people who have ordered a Manta Lab Barbie edition is quite surprising. Only THREE people from Germany, ONE from Switzerland and NONE from Austria have made requests, while so far there are 104 requests from the USA. That might say something about the appeal of this movie, whether it’s the humor or the writing or the iconography of Mattel toys…. Who knows??? I am a heterosexual male, and I absolutely loved the movie because it was able to laugh at itself. 

Interesting. I might go look up their responses as I'm curious. I only need to go back, what, 50 pages probably 😅 Unless you just posted it.

My initial thought was that the maybe they doll itself isn't really popular outside of the US but then I just saw that more 40% of the dolls are sold outside of the US (primarily Europe and Japan). It's funny you bring this up because I was just thinking earlier today if we would get a Mean Girls premium if it was released today. Now...perhaps it's the type of humor? I know we rarely have any premiums of comedies - possibly due to the fact that tastes in honor so widely vary?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Unfortunately, I have also noticed that. I don't think it's a large number of people but they are definitely out there. I think there are just a good number of people who want their stuff but not so much the community.

agreed i know of about 10 on here most with tiered memberships

what i think is 2 lots 

1.scalpers just out right

2. then ones buy oc sl dl fs they then keep what they want then flog the ones they dont to pay for they are keeping, either way i dont personally like it.

what i consider a selfish practice to fund there habit they dont want to pay for and also then deprive collectors on all sites.

the reality is if you cant afford it don't get into it.

but it could bite them in the bum if they dont sell there spares at price they want xD 

thank goodness its only a few members, its not a good habit to have imho

more a business than a true collector imho 

basil 👍

• Like 3

11 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

Wow 5/5 skulls! Will have to give that one a watch. 

Just started The Exorcist for the first time. Don’t know how I’d never gotten around to seeing this… 

:) 🤠 🙋‍♂️ good morning here @hansreinhardt, you’ll need to take this movie with a “grain of salt” mentality because I’m coming from an “older generation” and also just from me that enjoys subtle ambience with ‘classy” looking sets and landscapes that is why I’m one of the biggest fans of the Classic Universal Monsters when it comes to “horror” as it ticks all my boxes I mentioned!

The real reason I gave it 5 skulls was just because of that ‘Ol school’ look, I was a little disappointed it did not have any “horror, supernatural” elements in it but I should have known that because it is Sherlock Holmes and his films are more toward the mystery/thriller type of films, which I enjoy also!! 😉

So if you really want to watch “horror” for this month you might just want to watch this at another time but that is up to you, happy trails my friend… and looking forward to your comments!!! 🎬

10 hours ago, Manticore4 said:

:) 🤠 🙋‍♂️ good morning to you @Manticore4, have you seen the Barbie film?, and if you have could you put in the “spoiler tag” what you thought of it? 🤔 Spoilers do not bother me as I would still watch it if I’m intrigued enough! 😉

I’ve seen the trailers and I can not really put my finger on what kinda movie this really is - a comedy parody on the Barbie culture or what? 🧐 

I really do not know if I would enjoy this type of film 🤷‍♂️ but I do like the Manta Lab lentis of this film!! 😱 

Have a nice day my friend…. Looking forward to your comments!! ☀️ 🎬

Edited by Veum
  • Like 4