Veum

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ย 

ย 

Directorย David Gordon Greenโ€™sย The Exorcist: Believerย is set to be the first film in a planned trilogy from Blumhouse and Universal, part of a $400 million deal to bring the franchise back to life on the big screen. But after the box office under-performance ofย Believer, and reviews slamming the film almost across the board, are those original plans still in place?

Last we heard,ย The Exorcist: Believerย will first be followed byย The Exorcist: Deceiver, which has already been dated for theatrical release onย April 18, 2025. We assumed David Gordon Green would return to direct all three movies in the franchise โ€“ much like he did with Blumhouseโ€™s recentย Halloweenย trilogy โ€“ but that may not actually end up being the case.

In a new chat withย The Hollywood Reporter, Gordon Green casts doubt on those expectations.

THR reports, โ€œGreen currently has outlines for the next two chapters of hisย Exorcistย sequel trilogy, and while he once had plans to co-write and direct all three chapters, heโ€™s not quite ready to say if heโ€™s definitely directingย The Exorcist: Deceiverย or the eventual trilogy capper.โ€

In his own words, Gordon Green tells the outlet:ย โ€œMy intention is just to start making things, and as those plans come together, if I find myself in that [The Exorcist: Deceiver] directorโ€™s chair, Iโ€™d be thrilled. But right now, Iโ€™m navigating it from a story perspective and looking at my realities of life as I pivot.โ€

He adds, โ€œAnd one of the things thatโ€™s been really great between these horror franchises is doing that comedy series on HBO,ย The Righteousย Gemstones. So itโ€™s fun to be able to step away, take a deep breath, have a big laugh, and then get back to work in the genre.โ€

Stay tuned for more on futureย Exorcistย plans as we learn it.

exorcist-posters.png?resize=740%2C499&ss

ย 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Over 15 years ago, the originalย The Strangersย movie became aย cult classic horrorย film for its atmosphere and simple premise of a couple being terrorized by a trio of masked invaders. While it eventually got a sequel in 2018'sย The Strangers: Prey at Night,ย Lionsgateย wants the gap between installments to be considerably shorterโ€”hence, a trio ofย Strangersย movies thatโ€™ll release throughout 2024.

ย 

During New York Comic-Con, Lionsgate revealed a first look at the starter to this trinity, fittingly titledย The Strangers: Chapter 1.ย Directed by Renny Harlin (Die Hard 2, Exorcist: The Beginning), the movie starsย Riverdaleโ€™sย Madelaine Petsch andย Teen Wolfโ€™sย Froy Gutierrez as Maya and Ryan, a couple getting ready to get married and move to the Pacific Northwest. Forced to spend the night in an isolated AirBnB, it isnโ€™t long beforeย the murderous trioโ€”Dollface, Pin-Up Girl, and the Man in the Mask, played by new actorsโ€”break in and terrorize the pair.

ย 

Interestingly, Harlin toldย Bloody Disgustingย thatย Chapter Oneย will function as a remake of the original 2008ย Strangersย movie. But its two sequels will chart new ground, following on from the first movie and explore Maya as she tries to grapple with the lingering effects of that filmโ€™s ending, calling it โ€œher journey that we are watching from the moment the first movie ends.โ€ He continued by saying both sequels would explore โ€œwhat could happen to...a young woman who is the victim of such senseless violence. What does that do to you mentally and physically, and whatโ€™s your journey after that?โ€

ย 

Harlin is a professed fan of the firstย Strangersย film, and after receiving the 280-page script for the remake (written by Amber Loutfi, Alan Freedland, Alan R. Cohen), he recalled being โ€œblown away by it.โ€ He knew right away he wanted to split them up, and Lionsgate allowed him to shoot all three movies back-to-back. Getting to film the series this way was a blessing, he said, since it avoided the classic sequel problem of needing to lock the characters or world in some kind of stasis. If he has his way, this new trilogy will โ€œgo far beyondโ€ that first movie and pave the way for moreย Strangersย stories.

ย 

โ€œBy the end of the third movie, there are more questions than answers, really,โ€ Harlin noted. โ€œI canโ€™t wait to make the next three movies because I just think that we do something so interesting here; personally, I canโ€™t wait to see where it goes after this.โ€

ย 

The Strangers: Chapter Oneย will release in 2024, withย Chapter Twoย andย Chapter Threeย sometime later in the year.

Gizmodo

ย 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Most certainly interested in kingsman 3. Surprised about the kick ass rebpot though. I thought at least one more with the past actors would have surely gotten done.

There were only vere 2 Kick Ass graphic novels released, hence the 2 movies - really dont know where they would have gone with a 3rd.

ย 

And they better not recast Nic!ย  Theres only 1 Big Daddy!

Acting Nicolas Cage GIF by Signature Entertainment

• Like 2

Awards

2 hours ago, sykobanana said:

There were only vere 2 Kick Ass graphic novels released, hence the 2 movies - really dont know where they would have gone with a 3rd.

ย 

And they better not recast Nic!ย  Theres only 1 Big Daddy!

Acting Nicolas Cage GIF by Signature Entertainment

Yeah that's true too. I was just thinking how Hollywood likes to switch things up or add/take things away from source material especially if they can stretch something out to squeeze more money out of it aka a sequel. But second that on not recasting nick lol.ย 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MikeH5856 said:

Iโ€™m surprised they never adapted the Hit-Girl solo spin-off. But maybe this oneโ€™ll use The New Girl as its basis for the reboot?

IMG_2686.thumb.jpeg.a6b715accc9288bb65f903f7ea7ee054.jpeg

You and me both are surprised even though the actress who played hit girl is grown now. She did a great job in amazon's theย peripheral

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

You and me both are surprised even though the actress who played hit girl is grown now. She did a great job in amazon's theย peripheral

I never did watch that one. I was planning on catching up before season 2, but then Amazon pulled a switcheroo and canceled the show after renewing it. Dumb olโ€™ Amazon.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

I never did watch that one. I was planning on catching up before season 2, but then Amazon pulled a switcheroo and canceled the show after renewing it. Dumb olโ€™ Amazon.

wow did they?ย >:(ย and here I was thinking to myself I can't wait for season 2. the show had an interesting concept. I see amazon has adopted the syfy decision making of cancelling interesting shows either after renewing them or while still in their first season.ย 

• Like 1

• โ˜… Administrators โ˜…

Well this news sucks, I really warmed up to The Peripheral and was looking forward to S2.

ย 

Found this:

In February 2023, the series was renewed for a second season. In August 2023, the series was canceled, due to the 2023 SAG-AFTRA strike and the 2023 Writers Guild of America strike, as Amazon Prime Video decided to not move forward with the second season.

ย 

I guess we can hope they bring it back after the actor's strike is settled.

• Sad 2

• โ˜… Administrators โ˜…
9 minutes ago, deckard99 said:

Well this news sucks, I really warmed up to The Peripheral and was looking forward to S2.

ย 

Found this:

In February 2023, the series was renewed for a second season. In August 2023, the series was canceled, due to the 2023 SAG-AFTRA strike and the 2023 Writers Guild of America strike, as Amazon Prime Video decided to not move forward with the second season.

ย 

I guess we can hope they bring it back after the actor's strike is settled.

yeah I missed that news too and I'm bummed as well. ย It really found it's groove in the last few episodes and I was certainly looking forward to S2.

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ShadowWarrior said:

ย 

I love the Schwarzenegger version, but am curious to see what they do with the remake. They could really set themselves apart from the previous flick by doing an adaptation that actually hews closer to the book, which Iโ€™d really like to see. Itโ€™d be a whole different beast than what came before โ€” much darker and less comical, especially if they keep Kingโ€™s ending.

• Like 3